Poll Bible

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should i Read the bible for myself

• Yes (give me a book to start on)

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • No (reason please)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

djstav

Sep 9, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
Right. But another poster here is saying that John died in Ephesus.
Do you know if John died in Ephesus or on the island of Patmos?
No one knows, there are stories. My old Christian mentor told me that John was the only one who died of old age without being martyred. Which makes me think that he might have been excommunicated by his own.

larry2

Jun 14, 2018
Arapahoe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right. But another poster here is saying that John died in Ephesus.
Do you know if John died in Ephesus or on the island of Patmos?
Morning sister GodsGrace.
I just Googled the following information, and cannot verify it, but this might give you something further to search if you're interested.

How did apostle John die?
Questions? - Our Newsletter
QUESTION: How did the apostle John die? When was his death? Did he die in Asia Minor?
ANSWER: The Bible is silent regarding when or how the apostle John died. Information regarding his last days comes to us primarily from tradition. The 1913 Catholic Encyclopedia, in an article on St. John the Evangelist, states that writers in the second and third centuries A.D. accepted a widely held tradition that the apostle spent his last days in Ephesus.

According to the Catholics, Justin Martyr also referred to John as an apostle of Jesus who lived in Ephesus. St. Irenaes, Eusebius and still others, again according to the Catholic Encyclopedia, all agree that John left the isle of Patmos where he was banished for preaching the gospel (see Revelation 1:9). The last living apostle then spent his remaining days in Ephesus until he died somewhere around the close of the first century.

A well-known reference book on New Testament Martyrs, written by John Foxe (1515 - 1587), states that the apostle, as punishment for being a believer in Christ, was thrown into a cauldron of boiling oil.

In Christ Jesus.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes; I have heard that John was placed in a cauldron of boiling oil; but that it didn't kill him as expected: and he was subsequently banished to Patmos.

I saw a Christian movie once that showed how they rescued John from Patmos so that he might live in Ephesus.

Reactions: Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
with as much sensory deprivation as possible, yes, you won't confront your monster in a cave like a normie would bc you are already sharing headspace with him, so that is a huge advantage, but in my experience he will not leave before 5 days min. Don't do this if you're on any Rx tho, detox first

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Not a good idea if you've never fasted that long. I can fast 2-3 day's top, then I start feeling faint. If you don't know how to fast for long periods of time it is unwise to do so.
so you say, and fwiw normally i would suggest 1 day first, yes. but see forrest cannot even be heard with the actual cure, and seems like i skimmed over some schizophrenia in this case? So what's a little feeling faint when we're tryna knock him out lol, if you're not feeling faint after 7 days go 10 in this case. We're all schizo of course but overt schiz is nothing to play with, and wadr it doesn't matter anyway bc he can't do 1 right now and i was just fishing for a reaction tbh

Mister Michael

Sep 13, 2018
Florida
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
with as much sensory deprivation as possible, yes, you won't confront your monster in a cave like a normie would bc you are already sharing headspace with him, so that is a huge advantage, but in my experience he will not leave before 5 days min. Don't do this if you're on any Rx tho, detox first

Detox?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
yes, flush the Rx from your system? Although i guess being JW you don't do Rx prolly, dunno.
there are several half-steps you could take too, but the cure for self-consumption is self-denial
you will have a break if you do not address the self consumption soon, and
beautiful are the feet ok, but the choice is all yours

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Fasting is a good idea, but if you haven't done it before I wouldn't start with food or water. I fasted coffee for 30 days and eating fast food...something that means a lot to you that you can pray when you think about it. Even like pop or something.

larry2

Jun 14, 2018
Arapahoe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Morning all, but I have to put my two cents in on fasting; good or bad.

Many think not eating is the solution, but I read in 2Co 11:27 that the Apostle told us that there is a difference in “hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness.

What does God consider fasting? Is it in some manner to get His attention through self denial?
In Isa 58:4 God essentially tells Israel “Behold, ye fast . . . to make your voice to be heard on high.”
Isa 58:5 Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul?

What does God call a real fast?
Isa 58:6 Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?
Isa 58:7 Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?

Blessings in Christ Jesus.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
No one knows, there are stories. My old Christian mentor told me that John was the only one who died of old age without being martyred. Which makes me think that he might have been excommunicated by his own.
According to @larry2 in post no. 62 it seems as though John died in Ephesus.
He was banished to Patmos for preaching the gospel...I always thought he died there too.

(who can know for sure!)

Reactions: Nancy

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Morning sister GodsGrace.
I just Googled the following information, and cannot verify it, but this might give you something further to search if you're interested.

How did apostle John die?
Questions? - Our Newsletter
QUESTION: How did the apostle John die? When was his death? Did he die in Asia Minor?
ANSWER: The Bible is silent regarding when or how the apostle John died. Information regarding his last days comes to us primarily from tradition. The 1913 Catholic Encyclopedia, in an article on St. John the Evangelist, states that writers in the second and third centuries A.D. accepted a widely held tradition that the apostle spent his last days in Ephesus.

According to the Catholics, Justin Martyr also referred to John as an apostle of Jesus who lived in Ephesus. St. Irenaes, Eusebius and still others, again according to the Catholic Encyclopedia, all agree that John left the isle of Patmos where he was banished for preaching the gospel (see Revelation 1:9). The last living apostle then spent his remaining days in Ephesus until he died somewhere around the close of the first century.

A well-known reference book on New Testament Martyrs, written by John Foxe (1515 - 1587), states that the apostle, as punishment for being a believer in Christ, was thrown into a cauldron of boiling oil.

In Christ Jesus.
Yes, I know John Foxe but have not read his book, but it's a well-known book.

I guess Catholics should know! They have literature going all the way back to the beginning.

Thanks for posting this and welcome to the forum!

Reactions: larry2

djstav

Sep 9, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
According to @larry2 in post no. 62 it seems as though John died in Ephesus.
He was banished to Patmos for preaching the gospel...I always thought he died there too.

(who can know for sure!)
Did you know that revelations wasn't added to the Bible for a very long time, they actually didn't know what to do with it. Make's me think what they actually thought of that book back then.

Reactions: GodsGrace

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Morning all, but I have to put my two cents in on fasting; good or bad.

Many think not eating is the solution, but I read in 2Co 11:27 that the Apostle told us that there is a difference in “hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness.

What does God consider fasting? Is it in some manner to get His attention through self denial?
In Isa 58:4 God essentially tells Israel “Behold, ye fast . . . to make your voice to be heard on high.”
Isa 58:5 Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul?

What does God call a real fast?
Isa 58:6 Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?
Isa 58:7 Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?

Blessings in Christ Jesus.

One certainly should behave christ like during any fast.

Yet the Jehovah Witnesses believe they are saved by grace and good works, while traditional christianity is grace by faith alone. If you mix good works into the fast that yoke will remain. Let him come to God without Good works so that they are done out of a grateful heart instead of necessity.

Reactions: Nancy

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Did you know that revelations wasn't added to the Bible for a very long time, they actually didn't know what to do with it. Make's me think what they actually thought of that book back then.
LOL
It's what I think of this book NOW!
( I've never read the whole book through)

Reactions: bbyrd009

larry2

Jun 14, 2018
Arapahoe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yet the Jehovah Witnesses believe they are saved by grace and good works, while traditional christianity is grace by faith alone. If you mix good works into the fast that yoke will remain. Let him come to God without Good works so that they are done out of a grateful heart instead of necessity.
Greetings Brother Iforrest.
That's another concept that Israel had to change their ways, and thinking. Like in
Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, (Change your way of thinking as the way to get to heaven) and be baptized (Seal the deal with a good conscience - 1 Pet 3:21) every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Keeping law was getting Israel nowhere, and they needed to believe on Jesus instead. It came to the point in Rom 10:13-14.
Rom 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Rom 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed?

Praise God for His great grace toward us in Jesus.