Poll Bible

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should i Read the bible for myself

• Yes (give me a book to start on)

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • No (reason please)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes, I thought of this too. Sometimes he doesn't sound like a 17 year old.
Which first book would you have suggested?

I knew God a long time before I started reading the bible...so when I began to read it nothing bothered me because the relationship was so solid. The woman at the well (Samaritan) asking for crumbs was disturbing to me. But I knew there had to be a good explanation knowing how loving Jesus is.

In the end, we have to believe in God more than in the bible. If the bible were ever found to be conflicted, I wouldn't care too much. If the resurrection were found to be false that would be a big problem for me...my trust is in God.

If he can't come to that point, I don't think it'll matter what book he reads first.

GodsGrace,

Earlier in the thread, I suggested starting with the Gospel of Mark as it is understood to be the first Gospel written. Then I'd go to the Book of Acts as it explains how the crucified, risen Christ was proclaimed and the church was started and grew across the empire.

Also, one of the chief proclaimers of this Gospel was formerly a vicious persecutor of the church - Saul, who became the Apostle Paul.

It's time for shave, shower, brekky and off to church.

Blessings,
Oz

Reactions: Helen

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Personally, I believe every new believer should read their Bible in the following order: John, Romans, Galatians, Matthew, and then as the Spirit leads.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
GodsGrace,

Earlier in the thread, I suggested starting with the Gospel of Mark as it is understood to be the first Gospel written. Then I'd go to the Book of Acts as it explains how the crucified, risen Christ was proclaimed and the church was started and grew across the empire.

Also, one of the chief proclaimers of this Gospel was formerly a vicious persecutor of the church - Saul, who became the Apostle Paul.

It's time for shave, shower, brekky and off to church.

Blessings,
Oz
You're fortunate to have a church.
I owe you a ltr.
Happy Sunday!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Personally, I believe every new believer should read their Bible in the following order: John, Romans, Galatians, Matthew, and then as the Spirit leads.
Whoa!
Romans for no. 2!
Christian theology is in Romans, but it's the most difficult letter to explain.
And how about chapters 9, 10 and 11? I think they should have been a separate letter...it's kind of in the middle of the rest of the book.
The little letters are nice, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians...
Ah. They're all nice!

Reactions: Nancy and Helen

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I definitely recommend Romans for #2.

Paul wrote it to the people of Rome with the understanding that "all roads lead to Rome" and therefore "all roads lead from Rome."

Romans is the gospel of grace as understood by Paul.

Now I don't expect someone, in reading the epistle, to understand everything right off; but I do believe that as they read it certain things will jump out at them that will be essential for their understanding in their Christian belief and walk with the Lord.

Reactions: Nancy

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Right. But another poster here is saying that John died in Ephesus.
Do you know if John died in Ephesus or on the island of Patmos?

Maybe someone answered this...I have not read all this thread yet.

I am 95% sure that John did NOT die on Patmos.
He was the disciple that lived the longest of all of them.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Maybe someone answered this...I have not read all this thread yet.

I am 95% sure that John did NOT die on Patmos.
He was the disciple that lived the longest of all of them.
Right.
It seems that he was rescued from Patmos by his friends and eventually died in Ephesus.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
it's okay is their any way i can practice fasting or is it something you just have to "master" overtime
the point is to broaden your focus and remove it from the self, which at 17 this might not even be possible, dunno?
some self-centeredness is surely normal at 17, i mean you are like looking for a wife right now right, and i have even seen self-indulgence work well for someone in your position, JWs are fairly self-denying anyway. So imo work on what God is putting in front of you and at 17 that's a full plate anyway i guess, you are in a change-of-life phase, you're supposed to be questioning your premises. Plenty of accepted JWs btw

Reactions: Nancy and amadeus

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You're fortunate to have a church.
I owe you a ltr.
Happy Sunday!

GodsGrace,

Why is it that Protestant churches have not been planted in your region of Italy?

I have at least a dozen to choose from in my suburb, plus a couple RCC. There's a RC school down the road from where I live. Our federal govt has just announced a big $$$ package to help fund RC and independent schools, in addition to the State schools.

See: Private schools to gain billions under new parental-income funding model

Blessings in Christ from the land Down Under,

Oz

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Right.
It seems that he was rescued from Patmos by his friends and eventually died in Ephesus.

GodsGrace,

Church historian, Henry Chadwick, wrote the article on 'St John the Apostle' in Encyclaepedia Britannica, which states:

Polycrates, bishop of Ephesus, claims that John’s tomb is at Ephesus, identifies him with the beloved disciple, and adds that he “was a priest, wearing the sacerdotal plate, both martyr and teacher.” That John died in Ephesus is also stated by St. Irenaeus, bishop of Lyon c. 180 ce, who says John wrote his Gospel and letters at Ephesus and Revelation at Pátmos (Encyclaepedia Britannica - online - 2018. s.v. St John the Apostle).​

Oz

Last edited:

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i kind of explained later, but briefly bc his hearing has been knocked out by self-immersion, schizophrenia is common in JWs i guess...yup, 3-4 times avg
https://www.google.com/search?q=Jehovah's+Witnesses+schizophrenia&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS718US718&oq=Jehovah's+Witnesses+schizophrenia&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
and the cure is...really what lforrest said, but first the hearing has to be addressed imo, and, meaning no offense to the subject here but he cannot fast for even one day right now, and the point was really to elicit his reaction for proof,

voila`
Fascinating. I have never read that study before. You have taught me something...:)

I wonder if the alleged increase in schizophrenia for JW could be caused by the social elements of isolation, adversity, discrimination and poor housing/living conditions? Or if they just recruit people who are already mentally unstable?

I don't think fasting would help either of those situations.

Mary

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
it's okay is their any way i can practice fasting or is it something you just have to "master" overtime

I have found it best to set guidelines for a fast at the beginning, to determine what you will and won't do to help keep you disciplined. Deturmine the purpose of the fast and reaffirm it in your prayers. Set an end for the fast from the beginning, cause you may not see an answer until you stop fasting its all about faith. Consider if there are times you won't be able to fast, due to needing energy. It may have to wait until you have a brake from school. And consider who you will need to reveal it to and what you will tell them, cause fasting is supposed to be in secret but your grandparents will notice you not eating.

Reactions: Mister Michael

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Fascinating. I have never read that study before. You have taught me something...:)

I wonder if the alleged increase in schizophrenia for JW could be caused by the social elements of isolation, adversity, discrimination and poor housing/living conditions? Or if they just recruit people who are already mentally unstable?

I don't think fasting would help either of those situations.

Mary
i think it has to do with the isolating element, and the focus turned inward--would prolly make you or me schizophrenic too--which is what the fast should address, and the 5 days thing is just from a very limited experience, it took that long for the language to change in that 1 case, to even start changing. So 5 days is totally arbitrary, but i've just never heard of a case of self-infliction that resolved--that a change was witnessed in iow--in any less than that.

There is no hiding when you have faced your personal demon down and overcome it, and in my experience this is actually a harder process for nonJWs, why i can't even guess. Maybe bc most normal believers cannot even be convinced that they are still conflicted? And pointing out that they see themselves as both children of God and totally depraved usually does not work, tks to Calvin i guess

Personally i wouldn't start a fast with a set number of days in mind anyway

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i guess this is kinda hard to believe what with all the info out there, but juicing even veggies is a poor substitute,
and juicing fruit is basically suicidal, unless consumed in a particular way, by a certain type of person.
it has to do with the glycemic index, spiking the blood sugar, etc
with the veggies one is removing all of the fiber
can't think of a single advantage to juicing tbh
did it for years, too. until i became pre-diabetic
Whole foods baby! The ONLY way to go!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I definitely recommend Romans for #2.

Paul wrote it to the people of Rome with the understanding that "all roads lead to Rome" and therefore "all roads lead from Rome."

Romans is the gospel of grace as understood by Paul.

Now I don't expect someone, in reading the epistle, to understand everything right off; but I do believe that as they read it certain things will jump out at them that will be essential for their understanding in their Christian belief and walk with the Lord.
Romans and Hebrews are my favorite books!

Reactions: justbyfaith

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
i guess it doesn't strike you as even a little bit strange that a congregation of believers so intent upon self improvement has not taught you the first thing about fasting, which i guess makes them = the rest of us don't get me wrong here, but see the point. JWs are big into self-denial too, so this makes no sense on the surface, one might guess that they were the fasting kings or something?

Reactions: amadeus

Mister Michael

Sep 13, 2018
Florida
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
i guess it doesn't strike you as even a little bit strange that a congregation of believers so intent upon self improvement has not taught you the first thing about fasting, which i guess makes them = the rest of us don't get me wrong here, but see the point. JWs are big into self-denial too, so this makes no sense on the surface, one might guess that they were the fasting kings or something?

how do jws self deny exactly.