Poll: Does the mainstreaming of tattoos open up increasing opportunities for faith ink witness?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does the mainstreaming of tattoos open up increasing opportunities for faith ink witness?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
hedgepig said:
I have two, and would love to get more ... In contrast to many of you ladies, I like having mine in visible locations.. BUT, I don't work where it would matter, and many people around here have lots of tattoos, so it's pretty normalized.
source: thebump dot com

A lot of Christians would argue that, since it's so normalized, it creates lots of opportunities for faith based ink for witness purposes.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Naomi25 FYI....did you see / vote in the poll, above? (Plenty of options for response.)

(NB: I realize that 'tattoos' can include various aspects, from ones with wording to simple permanent eyeliner, etc., which does not of course have any particular testimony angle.)

Reactions: Naomi25

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Naomi25 Thanks for your poll vote!

GodsGrace said:
GodsGrace said:
....almost every young girl I know has some sort of tatoo.
Even those very conservative types.

I see you voted for answer #1; because as GodsGrace said it's what young ppl nearly all seem to do now and it can be done by conservative ppl now, the answer you voted for does seem to be self-evident. Lots of opportunities are opened up for faith & and testimony designs now.

Because it's what they do now. It's opened the door wide.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Jar said:

I do believe that it's excellent for a Christian to get a mark of their faith. .. The reason I got this tattoo is because, as a lady from my church said, it's my cheat sheet. It's a reminder, a promise, a rebuke and it's my solace. I put it in a visible spot, so that I could read it. And it's in an incredibly painful spot to get a tattoo and the pain of it resonates within me.. This is a permanent mark, one that will never, ever go away and I don't ever want it to. .. I learn and read the bible, hungry for knowledge for not only myself but to help my husband understand.
Jar: Seems like you have absolutely no regrets about using your tattoo opportunity - so mainstream now - as a faith expression opportunity.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I have no tattoos but I am happy of friends families tattoos

@RepentantSinner

Yes, it's become thoroughly mainstream now, hasn't it?

And since it's become so thoroughly mainstream, a lot of Christians would now likely conclude that enduring 30-45 minutes of 'Oh! ouch!' at a clean and regularly inspected parlor for a Scripture/faith-based design is a small price to pay for a really effective witnessing tool.

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Naomi25 Thanks for your poll vote!

GodsGrace said:

I see you voted for answer #1; because as GodsGrace said it's what young ppl nearly all seem to do now and it can be done by conservative ppl now, the answer you voted for does seem to be self-evident. Lots of opportunities are opened up for faith & and testimony designs now.

Because it's what they do now. It's opened the door wide.

I voted for #1 because I can imagine that people could use an interesting tattoo to start a conversation. And goodness knows God can and does use anything. But to be perfectly honest, its just not relevant in my life. I live in a small, mostly conservative town. My large, extended family doesn't really do tattoos. Not that I think they have a moral objection to them, it's just not something they do. But, you may be right in that we'll see some of it coming in through the younger generations. I don't really feel old, but every time my daughter rolls her eyes at me...well...I'm getting there!

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I voted for #1 because I can imagine that people could use an interesting tattoo to start a conversation. And goodness knows God can and does use anything.
@Naomi25 Yes, you're right!

My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also; and I'm sure other conversations have arisen as a result of her willingness to go ahead and use a parlor for this purpose.

As GodsGrace said a while back,
almost every young girl I know has some sort of tatoo.
Even those very conservative types.
... which means, really, that when even rather conservative people - especially young ppl - have it done, it's not remotely unusual any more for them evidently to seem confident to be inked up and some would argue that it does indeed follow that the mainstreaming of tattoos has increased opportunities for faith ink witness — which is how you voted in the poll.

Last edited:
Reactions: Naomi25

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hi @Angelina Was wondering if you had seen the latest poll results, above? wondering what you as someone experienced thought of the results as they now stand?

(Doing it has become maybe self-evidently mainstreamed.)

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It used to be someone was unique when they got a tattoo now, it is quite unique for a person to NOT have one.
@Nancy
I know you've commented in full already. But what you say kind of proves it's mainstream now (hence: opportunities for faith ink witness opened up significantly).

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
M.B. said:
3 of4 of my children have tatoos, the oldest daughter was the first, she now has four... My oldest son, her twin brother has a tattoo also that he designed as did the youngest design his own - both are crosses with three circles intertwined depicting the Trinity.
source: mamapedia dot com

Yes, it's what young men and women do now.

Faith based tattoo designs are not unusual now, either.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
R.. said:
Neither my husband or I have a tattoo (he was military and has his all planned...then when he had the money could never find time to go get it done...or when he went with friends didn't have the money...so it never happened. ..)

We joke that now we are counter culture and "rebels" because we don't have ink. Because everyone we know has at least one...usually three or four.
mamapedia dot com

It's indeed so mainstream now.

@Nancy
Because everyone we know has at least one...usually three or four.
I think this was your observation also.

I think there's plenty of evidence anyway that its mainstreaming has increased scope for faith based tattoos for those wishing to pursue the ink medium in faith witness tools.