Poll: Does the mainstreaming of tattoos open up increasing opportunities for faith ink witness?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does the mainstreaming of tattoos open up increasing opportunities for faith ink witness?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
No. Although rather ironically, she's old enough to become engaged. Kids...they keep you on your toes, huh?
@Naomi25 Well, she might not have it done eventually, in any case. She probably either already realizes or will do so that what GodsGrace said is true:
almost every young girl I know has some sort of tatoo.
Even those very conservative types.

Although like I said it doesn't necessarily mean she herself will have it done.

Reactions: Naomi25

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
..piercings the same.

@2 Chr. 34:19 Relevant point of comparison, I guess, from what you said earlier.

Maybe over 40 years ago when teen girls (and their moms) started doing 2 earrings each side, it might at the very first have seemed a bit edgy, fashion-wise; but now when it's done by all ages 2 studs each side are simply mainstream and well within the bounds of conservative perceptions.

Similar with a bit of ink now, really. Among Christians the ink has an added testimony dimension if it's a Bible ref., etc., and not simply for fashion.

(Thanks for your poll vote!)

Reactions: 2 Chr. 34:19

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I have already stated in other threads why and when I got my tattoo done. I didn’t follow my children as such as they had tattoos years before I even considered having mine done.
Rita
@Rita Oh yes indeed, you're right, it is and should be for very individual reasons - if there's Godward peace - why it may feel really good to have it done.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Re.
I got my tattoo 18 months ago as my daughters started to get those.

It IS undeniable now that daughters tend to get those.

But it's also undeniable that each and every inital tattooee should first of all have really personal reasons for having it done. (i.e., a radiant "Doing this now is really ME" rather than "This is them".)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
... rather ironically, she's old enough to become engaged.
@Naomi25 Well, for both getting engaged and getting tattooed the precise age may differ a little from one jurisdiction to another.

In North America, in many US states and in the Canadian provinces, it's 18 for a tattoo; in some states it's 16; in Idaho, 14, with parental permission, I think.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It was short session..on tattoos.
People at the Conference were surprised..
- There was a session on tattoos!
---
The Conference was about 'spiritual maturuty,
gifts & ministry calling'.
---
My guess is ..tattoos session was added.
- Because it might be helpful for those involved in ministry..to know about tattoos.
---
The session was balanced..not too much negative.
- Instructor had experience..outreach ministry to
people with tattoos.
@Pathfinder7 So was there anyone there with tattoos? and did the person speak about them?

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Naomi25 Well, for both getting engaged and getting tattooed the precise age may differ a little from one jurisdiction to another.

In North America, in many US states and in the Canadian provinces, it's 18 for a tattoo; in some states it's 16; in Idaho, 14, with parental permission, I think.

Here in Australia NSW, she needs to be 18 for a tattoo. She can be younger than that to become engaged. She can be married younger than 18 with parental approval, but without it she needs to wait til she's 18. Happily, she's almost 18 and isn't planning to marry until after that date. She and her fiancee have been dating since year 5, which is kind of cute. We all saw it coming, but I am pleased they want to wait just a little longer!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Here in Australia NSW, she needs to be 18 for a tattoo. She can be younger than that to become engaged. She can be married younger than 18 with parental approval, but without it she needs to wait til she's 18. Happily, she's almost 18 and isn't planning to marry until after that date. She and her fiancee have been dating since year 5, which is kind of cute. We all saw it coming, but I am pleased they want to wait just a little longer!
@Naomi25 May the Lord richly bless them as they seek His face for their lives!

There is no need for anyone to rush into marriage; one should be sure, first.

Thus also: there is no need for anyone to rush into getting a tattoo; one should be sure first.

Reactions: Naomi25

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
BluegrassRN said:
More of the nurses that I work with have tattoos than do not. On my shift, only three don't have them (of 13 nurses). We have several nurses (including myself) who have visible tattoos; one gal has them on her wrists. ...I've had a few wives tell me of their husbands' tattoos after seeing mine. It's such a sweet, intimate, bonding moment, and I feel so privileged
source: allnurses dot com

It's what nurses do, now.

It's so self evidently mainstream.

Even beyond the area of witnessing, it's so self evidently an effective conversation-starting tool.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
2 Chr. 34:19 said:
..piercings the same.

@2 Chr. 34:19 I do think that in the scheme of things, since for several decades moms have worn sometimes doubled earrings (often at least 2 in each earlobe), then not only is it not unusual for daughters to do the same but also if sons like the idea of even 1 stud in one or both earlobes, it's hard for a mom permanently to deny a teen son even 1 ear stud when she herself has 2 each side.

Similar comment I suppose for a bit of ink: often moms have a bit of ink themselves and so when sons or daughters turn 18 it's quite likely that they too will acquire a bit of ink also. (If all this makes sense?)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Don’t like them now of course-not just because of the Bible verse, they’re addictive
PS @2 Chr. 34:19 Some ppl do of course only intend to get one and do simply get one done. But you're right; some ppl do end up getting more.

Some Christians do find a Bible verse for example to be a high effective conversation tool in witness; I may have mentioned about the young lady that my wife and I talked with who had the wording of John 3.16 on her wrist area.

(It's a bit like nurses - as a demographic, a very significant proportion of whom expect to get tattooed - who when talking to patients and their families find that a bit of ink proves to be an effective ice breaker.)

In many ways it's gone way beyond the mere matter of likes and dislikes; as a pragmatic thing a bit of tattooing does indeed work as a conversation tool in so many contexts.

2 Chr. 34:19

Jun 20, 2020
Chester ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
PS @2 Chr. 34:19 Some ppl do of course only intend to get one and do simply get one done. But you're right; some ppl do end up getting more.

Some Christians do find a Bible verse for example to be a high effective conversation tool in witness; I may have mentioned about the young lady that my wife and I talked with who had the wording of John 3.16 on her wrist area.

(It's a bit like nurses - as a demographic, a very significant proportion of whom expect to get tattooed - who when talking to patients and their families find that a bit of ink proves to be an effective ice breaker.)

In many ways it's gone way beyond the mere matter of likes and dislikes; as a pragmatic thing a bit of tattooing does indeed work as a conversation tool in so many contexts.
Girls are too fair to disfigure themselves so. imo

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Girls are too fair to disfigure themselves so. imo
@2 Chr. 34:19 It's a matter of individual preference of course, but anyway, I don't know about the UK but in North America it's something that is so well established that many Christians — instead of fighting the medium — embrace it instead, often with faith based designs that are proven highly effective as conversation tools in witness.

QueenCat said:
Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.
forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

GillDouglas said:
My wife has talked about this possibility, but she has said she'd have a hard time deciding what to put permanently on her body. She has been urged by other military spouses to get one.
christianforums dot com

Among military families - in North America at any rate - there is so often a very strong urge to participate, often with ink designs in patriotic, faith and family themes.

So a lot of Christians in North America simply use it to express some theme that is God honouring.

Last edited:

2 Chr. 34:19

Jun 20, 2020
Chester ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@2 Chr. 34:19 It's a matter of individual preference of course, but anyway, I don't know about the UK but in North America it's something that is so well established that many Christians — instead of fighting the medium — embrace it instead, often with faith based designs that are proven highly effective as conversation tools in witness.

forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

christianforums dot com

Among military families - in North America at any rate - there is so often a very strong urge to participate, often with ink designs in patriotic, faith and family themes.

So a lot of Christians in North America simply use it to express some theme that is God honouring.
[/QUOTE]
a t shirt with scripture quote is just as effective