Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I have several tattoos. I've never felt the slightest guilt over them :)..The last one I got was many, many years ago. I would love to get a few more before I'm old and wrinkly :D...Tattoos have been "non-taboo" for a good 20 years or so. I think a lot of older people (and I'm not young to begin with lol) still think that tattoos are this grungy, rough, male trend. But that hasn't been the case for many, many years.

True.

Mama Etna

Oct 28, 2019
The Twin Cites - Minnesota
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Cachalot Thanks for your comment and interesting that you have this perspective. Today among Christians there seem to be other perspectives also which are rather strong, often regarding faith based ones; FYI, in quote:

forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com
I acquired the distaste because individuals that promote them have been too pushy with me in the past. I am just being very honest here. On this topic, leave sleeping dogs lie. If someone doesn't want them or like them, don't push. :)

Reactions: amadeus and farouk

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Wynona Thanks for your comment. It's interesting that the same passage from Leviticus seems to say about not trimming beards; do preachers shave? As regards cutting for the dead, some would see necromancy in view. Like you say, we are not under the Mosaic law; but New Testament believers for whom the Gospel is the rule of life, which for some people would include liberty about using proven effective witness means.

Definitely they are not for everyone. Although in the Bible Belt it's something that is done so widely by people, who presumably share your perspective about not being under the Mosaic law; FYI, I saw this quote:

Not sure anyway how you would have voted in the poll, if it had still been active?
1. The context of God prohibiting the cutting of beards is about the way the Canaanite men would trim their beards into certain shapes or patterns as a way of worshiping their sun gods and/or fertility gods. Contrary to widespread assumptions, it has nothing to do with someone trimming a beard in a normal fashion.

2. It makes no sense to argue that Christians are not beholden to the Law when the apostles taught against idolatry, sexual immorality, stealing, lying, coveting, murder, blasphemy, dishonoring parents, and practicing the ways of Satan's world in general. Everything that is taught in the New Testament comes straight from the Law because it is the backbone of the entire Bible. And because tattoos have idolatrous roots(i can easily prove this) and are popular with unbelievers, that would mean they are anti-Christ by default.

If someone is going to argue the Law doesn't apply to them, they might as well be an atheist since Genesis is just as much a part of the Law as Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy are. God distinctly prohibited tattoos because it was and still is part of Satan's religions. There is a reason why no true man or woman of God in the Bible is ever described as having a tattoo on any part of their body. When Christ quoted Deut. 8:3 in Matt. 4 and Luk. 4 where He said man is to live by every word that came from God's mouth, that was not a suggestion or a recommendation.

Reactions: Mama Etna

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
1. The context of God prohibiting the cutting of beards is about the way the Canaanite men would trim their beards into certain shapes or patterns as a way of worshiping their sun gods and/or fertility gods. Contrary to widespread assumptions, it has nothing to do with someone trimming a beard in a normal fashion.

2. It makes no sense to argue that Christians are not beholden to the Law when the apostles taught against idolatry, sexual immorality, stealing, lying, coveting, murder, blasphemy, dishonoring parents, and practicing the ways of Satan's world in general. Everything that is taught in the New Testament comes straight from the Law because it is the backbone of the entire Bible. And because tattoos have idolatrous roots(i can easily prove this) and are popular with unbelievers, that would mean they are anti-Christ by default.

If someone is going to argue the Law doesn't apply to them, they might as well be an atheist since Genesis is just as much a part of the Law as Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy are. God distinctly prohibited tattoos because it was and still is part of Satan's religions. There is a reason why no true man or woman of God in the Bible is ever described as having a tattoo on any part of their body. When Christ quoted Deut. 8:3 in Matt. 4 and Luk. 4 where He said man is to live by every word that came from God's mouth, that was not a suggestion or a recommendation.
@Desire Of All Nations Hebrews 7.12 says the law was changed. Hebrews 7.19 says that what the New Testament believer now has is better than the law.

Mama Etna

Oct 28, 2019
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I am starting to lean in this direction concerning tattoos because people that promote them have the tendency to be hard sell in Christian circles. If they were harmless, then would just leave people alone that didn't want them.

Reactions: amadeus

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I acquired the distaste because individuals that promote them have been too pushy with me in the past. I am just being very honest here. On this topic, leave sleeping dogs lie. If someone doesn't want them or like them, don't push. :)
@Cachalot Actually I agree and sympathize exactly with what you say. It is and ought to be an individual thing.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I am starting to lean in this direction concerning tattoos because people that promote them have the tendency to be hard sell in Christian circles. If they were harmless, then would just leave people alone that didn't want them.
@Cachalot Faith based tattoos are out there and it's inevitable that they will be discussed (hence the - now defunct - poll), like them or even loathe them! :) When my wife and I talked to a young lady with John 3.16 in full tattooed on her wrist area, it would be wildly inaccurate to say that therefore I was supposedly imposing them on her, or she on me. What it did, rather, was that it led to a conversation about John 3.16.

It's not for everyone.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Ziggy From back a bit, you said:

I have a tattoo
It is a young lion which sits upon a rose.
Near my right shoulder.
It's faded now.
Must have been 30 years ago or so. ... The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.
Isaiah 11.6

No need for you, @Ziggy, to comment any further, of course. (It can just be instructive for ppl to know that faith based / Biblical inkings are widely obtained.)

Reactions: Ziggy

Mama Etna

Oct 28, 2019
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak.
For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol's temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols;
And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died?
But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ.
Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

1 Corinthians 8:9-13

I do not consider scarring one's skin with dye to be an edifying activity. In fact it does cause some Christians to stumble. Is it is sin? I don't think so. But is it edifying. I don't think so either. I can wear scriptures in jewelry or on a T-shirt. I quite frequently wear Christian T-shirts. I even have a fish buckle with Jesus' name spelled out. I do not have to mark my skin.

With this thought, I am finished with this discussion. You will not convince me otherwise. Whether you mark your skin or not, that is between you and God.

Reactions: amadeus

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Heart2Soul Back a bit you said:

Well, with the scope for faith based designs, maybe it would be good if more Christians worked in tattoo parlors?
I think anywhere is a perfect place...as our footsteps are ordered of the Lord let it be as He Wills!
Jesus didn't consider it wrong to hang out with sinners and publicans...they were probably easier to witness to since they weren't already brainwashed by the doctrines of man.:)

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Heart2Soul Back a bit you said:

Well, with the scope for faith based designs, maybe it would be good if more Christians worked in tattoo parlors?

Perhaps a better starting point would be for "Christians" to be prepared to actually rub shoulders with people who have tattoos that live within their community and start conversations with them that is meaningful for these people.

Perhaps that may be one step to far for them.

Perhaps the "Christians" should be prepared to simple live out their lives as they actually rub shoulders with all of the people that live and breath around them, and not be selective as to who they actually rub shoulders with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mama Etna

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've acquired a strong distaste for tattoos after having pictures of them shoved in my face on this forum so many times.

I don't mind whatever people do, but there seems to be some who are completely obsessed.

Much love!

Last edited:

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've aquirred a strong distaste for tattoos after having picture of them shoved in my face on this forum so many times.

I don't mind whatever people do, but there seems to be some who are completely obsessed.

Much love!
Well there are obsessions that come in many forms. I have come to the point of letting each work out there own salvation with fear and trembling.
Some people get saved after they already had tattoos....
I do like the idea of Christian based tattoos to dispel the reputation given to those with tattoos in the past by some in society.....granted their tats were probably offensive in some ways.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Well there are obsessions that come in many forms. I have come to the point of letting each work out there own salvation with fear and trembling.
Some people get saved after they already had tattoos....
I do like the idea of Christian based tattoos to dispel the reputation given to those with tattoos in the past by some in society.....granted their tats were probably offensive in some ways.
@Heart2Soul This thread was indeed revived - after some months of quiet - by comments made by others; and since today it's not unusual for shy, modest young people to get inked up with confidence, it's not surprising that some of them will be Christians wanting to make faith based designs a talking point maybe with other young ppl.

What GodsGrace said is definitely accurate:

GodsGrace said:
almost every young girl I know has some sort of tatoo.
Even those very conservative types.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Mayflower It's closed now, but interestingly among all the respondents only 3 (10%) were hostile to tattoo art. I think it shows how much scope there is to communicate a really worthwhile message via the art form. (If this makes sense?)

I notice it is more the older generations that disagree. My hubby has a shrunken head on his shoulder. I would probably like the shoulder more without that one. But there are ones he has I like and I others have pretty neat ones too that can be for Christ

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I notice it is more the older generations that disagree. My hubby has a shrunken head on his shoulder. I would probably like the shoulder more without that one. But there are ones he has I like and I others have pretty neat ones too that can be for Christ
@Mayflower Well, it's now what people do; it's a means to communicate they embrace; it's an art form they use.

Many people on this site have confirmed it...

Rita said:
I have never regretted my tattoo.. I love the tattoo..the tattoo was not liberating - the tattoo represented the liberation and freedom that the Lord had brought me through..The tattoo in of itself was merely the means of expression and the reminder.

Acolyte said:
My son had 7 or 8 tattoos before I even thought about it. ... Those who get scripture must be overjoyed. The money and pain are outweighed by the message they witness to... No more ink for me. ... I do think they are fine for whoever wants one. It's just not something I would do again. :)

UnrulyBeauty said:
I have several tattoos. I've never felt the slightest guilt over them :)..The last one I got was many, many years ago. I would love to get a few more before I'm old and wrinkly ...Tattoos have been "non-taboo" for a good 20 years or so. I think a lot of older people (and I'm not young to begin with lol) still think that tattoos are this grungy, rough, male trend. But that hasn't been the case for many, many years.

Clearly - one by one as individuals - a lot of Christians (of both genders) think it has really opened up as a good, witness-friendly experience to go for, haven't they?

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
PS: Remarkable that so many Christians now seem to come to a similar conclusion?

FHII said:
I got my first and only tattoo when I was 25. I was told it was addictive, but for me it was not. .. I don't regret it.. .. Probably 75% of the congregation have tattoos, including myself and the Pastor

QueenCat said:
Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayflower