Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I suppose they would get hit pretty hard considering being so close to an individual.

@VictoryinJesus You've mentioned before that your daughter is thoroughly into tattoos, but maybe with the Covid she along with a lot of others has had to back off somewhat, because the close work involved, as @Ziggy says, in having them tends to militate against distancing, right?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I suppose they would get hit pretty hard considering being so close to an individual.
@Ziggy Yes, well you would remember what a close experience it is, and while you as a tattooed woman said you were pleased with the result, it really is the definition of something 'close and personal', right?

That being said, even though tattoo artists are 'close and personal', they do wear masks there days so for those who do long to receive inkings there are safeguards....

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
A token of days gone by...
I have no regrets.

@Ziggy Reminds me a bit of using a supermarket for months during the winter; up here the winters are cold.

For months there may be a young man or nice lady at the check out.

Then the summer comes and the same young man and nice lady are still there at the check outs.

But because it's summer, the sleeves are shorter and out peeps a tattoo.

The circle of years goes round. People get on with their lives; tattoos sometimes accumulate; they are hidden during the winter and along comes the summer and they peep out.

Despite Covid, tattoo parlors seem to provide a lot of footfalls in so many ppl's memories, that stay there, year in, year out.

"Oh, I didn't know you had a tattoo..."

"Yes." (Silently moves on...)

Sometimes the faith based ones can provide a really constructive talking point...

Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can't really see my tat unless I look in the mirror. It's right under the collar bone and my chin is in the way of seeing it.
I normally wear t-shirts and it's hidden under that. I've never had anyone comment on it because it's hidden most of the time.
Even when I used to go swimming in Florida and I wear a full bathingsuit because I'm 50's not 20's lol..
No one ever commented. But then again, I usually went swimming when no one was in the pool.. lol
I guess my intention of getting the tattoo wasn't to make a public statement. It was simply something to do in the middle of a marriage crisis.
And my thinking at the time was, maybe something different would change it's direction. So we both went in, he got his and I got mine..
and that's pretty much the end of the story.
It didn't have the results I guess I was hoping for. Something shiny and new..?
Now he got a full length Panther on his arm and when he went to work it couldn't be hid.
He strutted it like a proud peacock, and he got a lot of compliments.
Maybe he had other reasons for getting his than I did getting mine.

We're talking over 30 years ago..
The only one I was looking to impress was him. But apparently it didn't work out that way.
So I put it on the shelf and never really think about it anymore.

Until you mention it.. LOL
God Bless You farouk
HUGS
:)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I can't really see my tat unless I look in the mirror. It's right under the collar bone and my chin is in the way of seeing it.
@Ziggy In a bony area, right?

But anyway it seems that a lot of ppl do choose to have it done in a bony area.

Seems like a lot of ppl are indeed prepared to receive the needling in an area of bony discomfort.

Sometimes it's because of the visibility of the bony area. Though not necessarily.

Anyway it's often about something that the person deems highly important. Or something inextricably linked with one's life history.

Sometimes it's about memories; sometimes it's more about looking forward in hope, and with the latent idea of the possibility of others by faith looking forward in hope.

Hence it's sometimes - often - done earnestly with others' blessing in mind also...

Even - particularly? - in bony areas...

5944b375d02ea0d1aa8098382db6347c--true-tattoo-tatoo.jpg

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Pearl You said this earlier this year:
Funny how things change over the year,take tattoos. ...
Now a days it is excepted as normal for both sexes to have them

We were just talking about ear piercing, weren't we.

The whole tattoo thing now is a bit like ear piercing, really.

Both men and women (incl. I think your daughter) seem to go confidently for tattoos and ear piercing.

(2c....)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
But you don't enjoy the pain of actually getting a tattoo...or do you?
@Truman Like it was being discussed with @Ziggy, sometimes it's in a bony area, but it's done there because of its visibility, and the pain is kind of neither here nor there... Sometimes there is a strong message being sent via the bony area.....

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Truman Like it was being discussed with @Ziggy, sometimes it's in a bony area, but it's done there because of its visibility, and the pain is kind of neither here nor there... Sometimes there is a strong message being sent via the bony area.....
Just messin' with you, Farouk. :)

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Just messin' with you, Farouk. :)
@Truman Well, anyway, a lot of Christians - who may well be basically modest and even a bit shy - do seem strongly compelled go messing (to use your term) with tattoo parlors ("Oh that feels good") simply because of the potentials of faith message communication through ink.

All the young people with Bible verses tattooed that I have talked to seem to have had them done for evangelistic reasons, anyhow...

(cc @MatthewG )

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Truman Well, anyway, a lot of Christians - who may well be basically modest and even a bit shy - do seem strongly compelled go messing (to use your term) with tattoo parlors ("Oh that feels good") simply because of the potentials of faith message communication through ink.

All the young people with Bible verses tattooed that I have talked to seem to have had them done for evangelistic reasons, anyhow...

(cc @MatthewG )
I guess I'm a suck...I don't like pain. If I did, I'd be the happiest person in the world! As it is, the joy of the Lord is my strength!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I guess I'm a suck...I don't like pain. If I did, I'd be the happiest person in the world! As it is, the joy of the Lord is my strength!

@Truman

Great text there from Nehemiah 8.10... :)

My wife and I talked a while ago to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area - probably one of the more painful areas in any case.

I can imagine the pain as all those words gradually went in.

She seemed quite shy and modest.

But also her joy seemed to radiate in her testimony.

For her - and for all of the other young Christians tattooed with Bible verses that I have talked to - it seemed to have been a joyful thing to have gone into the tattoo parlor as a Christian.

Reactions: Truman

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

(cc @MatthewG )

Nothing wrong with tattoos. Some people would rather get a tattoo than have a cigarette or use drugs. Though sometimes the combination can be mixed in the territory yet so could it for a person who has not a single tattoo. Individuals all make choices and whatever their choice is was the decision made.

To me life experience is a good thing to have under your belt, in all regions of life you choose to look at see what you might like to do.

From drawing, journaling, hiking, gardening, cooking, laundry skills, dish cleaning skills, sowing skills, reading skills, whatever may pertain to that person.

Though nothing will be truly fulfilling compared to having God with you in your life and the Loed Jesus Christ.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Mantis Sometimes the word addiction - we were talking about it on the other thread - can be used a bit too freely; accustomed and truly addicted are really two different things, FYI:

FHII said:
I was told it was addictive, but for me it was not. .. I don't regret it.. Probably 75% of the congregation have tattoos, including myself and the Pastor .. I have a tattoo, I am not ashamed of it ..I also agree that it makes a statement of freedom in Christ.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Nothing wrong with tattoos. Some people would rather get a tattoo than have a cigarette or use drugs. Though sometimes the combination can be mixed in the territory yet so could it for a person who has not a single tattoo. Individuals all make choices and whatever their choice is was the decision made.

To me life experience is a good thing to have under your belt, in all regions of life you choose to look at see what you might like to do.

From drawing, journaling, hiking, gardening, cooking, laundry skills, dish cleaning skills, sowing skills, reading skills, whatever may pertain to that person.

Though nothing will be truly fulfilling compared to having God with you in your life and the Loed Jesus Christ.

@MatthewG Thanks for your comment.

So often at around 18 the tattoo parlor is an event which ppl assume will be part of their life experience, but then they move on.

Like I was saying to @Truman, my wife and I talked a while ago to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area - probably one of the more painful areas in any case.

For her - and for all of the other young Christians tattooed with Bible verses that I have talked to - it seemed to have been a joyful thing to have gone into the tattoo parlor as a Christian.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Truman

Great text there from Nehemiah 8.10... :)

My wife and I talked a while ago to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area - probably one of the more painful areas in any case.

Pain is not the worst thing that can happen. Suffering for the Lord is a wonderful thing!

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I love all of God's word, but John 3:16 is the one that revealed Jesus to me!
I'm thinking about getting a tattoo or two. Perhaps a cross on one shoulder and a star of David on the other.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I guess my intention of getting the tattoo wasn't to make a public statement.

@Ziggy

You had your own, special reasons for it.

Different ppl can have their own, sometimes widely different reasons.

Interestingly, all the young ppl tattooed with Bible verses that I have talked to seem to have had theirs done for evangelistic reasons.

(Would it be easier if no one got tattooed? Would be easier if everyone got tattooed? It's not a question of everyone or no one.)

But all the young people with Bible verses tattooed with whom I spoke seem to have gotten witness joy and satisfaction when they went into the parlor.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ziggy

You had your own, special reasons for it.

Different ppl can have their own, sometimes widely different reasons.

Interestingly, all the young ppl tattooed with Bible verses that I have talked to seem to have had theirs done for evangelistic reasons.

(Would it be easier if no one got tattooed? Would be easier if everyone got tattooed? It's not a question of everyone or no one.)

But all the young people with Bible verses tattooed with whom I spoke seem to have gotten witness joy and satisfaction when they went into the parlor.
They're still young.
They have more opportunities to witness than some older folk who don't get out much.

So I was doing that thing again... (thinkng)
And Jesus left physical marks on people as a testimony as to who he is.
He opened the eyes of the blind.. physical manifestation.
Made the lame to walk... physical manifestation.
Cured the lepers.. physical manifestation.

People could physically see the testimony of their faith simply by looking at the outside appearance of those who were healed.
Most of these people had grown up together and new each other all their lives. So when a person was healed it revealed their faith.

What difference then is a tattoo, that shows people who we don't see every day, that may by chance only ever get to display ones faith, as an outward appreciation written for all to see?

Testimonies come in many shapes and sizes eh?
just thinking.. :cool:

Hugs