Polygamy

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is polygamy a sin/wrong?

• Total voters

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
I have already sent you an invitation to reason together in another thread. I have not heard from you.

Please send me the link, because I'm not aware of any such thread.

In 2,000 years of discussion, searching the scriptures and inquiring of God we do not see a doctrine or acceptance of Polygamy in the Christian Churches in the world. What we see is widespread teaching against it from ALL OVER THE WORLD (that includes many cultures, not just Western cultures). What more is there to discuss?

In the 4,000 or so years before Christ, we do, however, see evidence of polygamy, not only men, buy by some of the greatest men of God, go figure.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Please send me the link, because I'm not aware of any such thread.

In the 4,000 or so years before Christ, we do, however, see evidence of polygamy, not only men, buy by some of the greatest men of God, go figure.

Well then, go with the 4,000 years BEFORE Christ. I am just saying there is a resounding NO by the Church of Jesus Christ for the last 2,000 years. Does that mean anything to 1 soul such as yourself?

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia

Reason about what?

Well then, go with the 4,000 years BEFORE Christ. I am just saying there is a resounding NO by the Church of Jesus Christ for the last 2,000 years. Does that mean anything to 1 soul such as yourself?

This resounding 'NO' is headed by this verse: 1Ti 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
Which actually proves that it took place, resulting in stipulations being enforced on it. :p Otherwise, wouldn't it be more clear and simple if it was stated, You must only have ONE wife.?

Rather than specifically addressing would-be bishops?

Justin Mangonel

Nov 7, 2012
I can see if people personally dislike the notion of polygamy, but I think it is not possible to prove that God does not approve of it.

Pelaides

Jul 30, 2012
I would like to know how do you interpret the parable of the foolish virgins?Matthew 25:1-13

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
Christ is our example. What did He do and teach?
Galatians 5
16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.

Luke 20
35 But those who are counted worthy to attain that age, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry nor are given in marriage;

Matthew 19
11 But He said to them, "All cannot accept this saying, but only those to whom it has been given:
12 For there are eunuchs who were born thus from their mother's womb, and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He who is able to accept it, let him accept it."
So true!

Pelaides

Jul 30, 2012
I suppose you think that Jesus is teaching and marketing polygamy in Matt 25. Would that be correct?
Jesus was more in favor of celibacy,but like "zebra hug"pointed out in his earlier posts polygamy is not a sin.
if you read matthew 25 literally,the bridegroom was going to marry 10 women,if you notice jesus never mentions a bride,I.M.O.

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
Jesus was more in favor of celibacy,but like "zebra hug"pointed out in his earlier posts polygamy is not a sin.
if you read matthew 25 literally,the bridegroom was going to marry 10 women,if you notice jesus never mentions a bride,I.M.O.

Um...the parable is allegorical. Christ is the bridegroom and the church is the bride. It is not a sanction for polygamy.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
It's allegorical of these passages.
Rev 3:3
Rev 16:15
2 Peter 3:10
1 Thessalonians 5:2-4

And just where is the oil to back it up?

That's a pretty bold statement Justin I hope you have the oil to back it up.
I've said my peace and you agreed.
http://www.christian...120#entry172656

God Bless

It's interesting to watch threads, who starts them who entertains them and watch what fruit they bear.
http://www.christian...120#entry172650

Some of you may want to pull down the quote window and take a peek

Jesus said don't run out of oil /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ God Bless the words of truth ----- > may they hear and know the truth

Raeneske

Sep 18, 2012
Matthew 19:4 - And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,

Mark 10:6 - But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.

Polygamy is a sin. Only in this fleshpleasing world would we think it's not a sin. "Nothing objectionable" is not good grounds on accepting something as truth from the Bible. In times past, yes you will find those who had multiple wives, concubines, etc. But from the beginning, it was not so. God designed marriage to protect the family unit, and to be a blessing. Please tell me, how it's possible to have more than one wife, without cheating on one of them, and committing adultery?

Ephesians 5:21 - For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.

Marriage was established in the Garden of Eden. It is a relationship between two people. Not Satan's perversion, of marriage between 3, or 4, 12, or 328. As time goes on, we aren't supposed to get more godless as Christians. We are to be more Christ-like. Yes, I understand they (some at least) had multiple wives in the past. But that is not a good ground, for accepting that it's okay to do something sinful, or something we know is wrong. Polygamy is sin, and that's final. (Matthew 16:4 A wicked and adulterous generation...) What Christians? Do we wanna descend to the same point the Jewish nation was before Christ came the first time? Except now, it'll be His second time coming, and instead of Jews, it'll be Christians.

P.S. I know some say they would have a problem with it, but it's not sin - I BEG to differ, please, I urge you, take a look at what you're saying!

Justin Mangonel

Nov 7, 2012
I guess the question I have is "why do people want to regulate other peoples sex lives?" and "what business is it of theirs?"

If the most revered men in the Bible had more than one wife...then what of it? It is mute point. God obviously allowed it and even blessed those involved in it. Does God recommend monogamy over polygamy? No. Does God even care that much about it? No.

Abraham’s father was a polygamist
Abraham had two wives
Jacob had four wives.
The father of Samuel was a polygamist
Gideon was a polygamist
King David was a polygamist
Solomon was a polygamist
Abijah, king or the southern nation of Israel had 14 wives.
Joash, who did right in the sight of the Lord, had two wives. Either that or the high priest had a couple of wives.

The list goes on and on...none of us...not even one of us...is worthy to say to these men that they did wrong in God's sight by loving more than one woman at a time. It was an honor for the women and they were well taken care of and protected.

You take one scripture that talks about bishops having but one wife and you make a broad doctrine out of it while ignoring thousands of years of biblical history. You take your ethnocentric values and elevate them to the status of scripture and preach them as additions to what God has said. You feel no shame when you revile men and woman of God who He attested to through mighty signs and wonders. You who may have not even seen a vision, won a battle, or did a single deed in the whole of your life that is worthy of scriptures feel qualified to pass judgment on such as these? Whole books were written about these polygamists whom you so easily criticize. Can't you see how ridiculous this is?

I often wonder why people are so concerned with perceived sexual sins of other people. Are they so pure that there is nothing in their own back yard that needs taking care of? Are they so board from lack of personal sins that they must go into other people’s bedrooms that uncover what they are doing?

When does this cease to be a question of doctrine and start to be judgment of another man’s servant?

God loves and prospers polygamists...plain and simple...two, at least, are with Him right now. He chose these men to be the founders of the nation of Israel. He chose polygamists to lead Israel. God is one but loves many...so what of it? I am stunned at the lack of spiritual sight on this issue with people who think that having only one wife is some type of righteousness. Marriage is not a number but a heart relationship.

I think we all need to grow up in God.

Reactions: Groundzero

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
It really boils down to just how big a boy you are.
Notice the underlined bold, the Lord has not said to take many wife's or virgins.

[sup]25 [/sup]Now concerning virgins: I have no commandment from the Lord; yet I give judgment as one whom the Lord in His mercy has made trustworthy. [sup]26 [/sup]I suppose therefore that this is good because of the present distress—that it is good for a man to remain as he is: [sup]27 [/sup]Are you bound to a wife? Do not seek to be loosed. Are you loosed from a wife? Do not seek a wife. [sup]28 [/sup]But even if you do marry, you have not sinned; and if a virgin marries, she has not sinned. Nevertheless such will have trouble in the flesh, but I would spare you.
[sup]29 [/sup]But this I say, brethren, the time is short, so that from now on even those who have wives should be as though they had none, [sup]30 [/sup]those who weep as though they did not weep, those who rejoice as though they did not rejoice, those who buy as though they did not possess, [sup]31 [/sup]and those who use this world as not misusing it. For the form of this world is passing away.
[sup]32 [/sup]But I want you to be without care. He who is unmarried cares for the things of the Lord—how he may please the Lord. [sup]33 [/sup]But he who is married cares about the things of the world—how he may please his wife. [sup]34 [/sup]There is[sup][a][/sup] a difference between a wife and a virgin. The unmarried woman cares about the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit. But she who is married cares about the things of the world—how she may please her husband. [sup]35 [/sup]And this I say for your own profit, not that I may put a leash on you, but for what is proper, and that you may serve the Lord without distraction.

Virgin = unmarried woman
Like I said in my second post I doubt this thread produces much fruit.

[sup]36 [/sup]But if any man thinks he is behaving improperly toward his virgin, if she is past the flower of youth, and thus it must be, let him do what he wishes. He does not sin; let them marry. [sup]37 [/sup]Nevertheless he who stands steadfast in his heart, having no necessity, but has power over his own will, and has so determined in his heart that he will keep his virgin,[sup][b][/sup] does well. [sup]38 [/sup]So then he who gives her[sup][c][/sup] in marriage does well, but he who does not give her in marriage does better.

I get tired of the flowery talk, with no scriptural evidence or clear teaching, because Justin and Pleiades can't make their case I'll try to find the end of the matter hopefully.

I guess the question I have is "why do people want to regulate other peoples sex lives?" and "what business is it of theirs?"

If the most revered men in the Bible had more than one wife...then what of it? It is mute point. God obviously allowed it and even blessed those involved in it. Does God recommend monogamy over polygamy? No. Does God even care that much about it? No.

I think your first and last statement are correct.
There were all manner of things in the old testament like stoning as well, Apparently you missed the NT memo about a new covenant.
Google it ------> Do what thou wilt <------ I have no commandment from the Lord;
I've done my part

And my God have mercy on those you mission to over seas
http://www.christianityboard.com/topic/17021-and-they-were-not-ashamed/

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK

Oooh! Gen 4 echoes down the ages!

Apparently you haven't noticed that God takes a keen interest in 'people's sex lives', because those engaging in sexual activity have the awesome responsibility of representing the image of God to the world. He expects you to take your lead from Him, not the world.

Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth. 27 So God created man in his [own] image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Genesis 2:19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought [them] to Adam to see what he would call them: and whatever Adam called every living creature, that [was] the name thereof. 20 And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him. [Note: an - singular] 21 And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof; 22 And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man. {made: Heb. built} 23 And Adam said, This [is] now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man. 24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

No mention of offspring here, Justin.

Matthew 19:4 And he [Jesus Christ, the Creator] answered and said to them, Have ye not read, that he which made [them] at the beginning made them male and female, 5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: [Note: wife singular] and they twain shall be one flesh? 6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

And (I would add), and let not man add anything more to His original statement.

'Put asunder' begins to be when wedlock is broken. Jesus said that starts in the heart: Matt 5:28, Mark 7:21.

if you read matthew 25 literally,

Pelaides, in this day and age with internet resources, if not a local synagogue, you have no excuse for not knowing the significant difference between a Jewish wedding and any other kind of wedding; But particularly because your interpretation of the role of the ten virgins lacks all Christian integrity, you owe it to the Christians here, and to those of other faiths who read here, to be properly informed before you offer an opinion based on a mixture of ignorance and imagination. You are proving to the world just exactly why polygamy ever existed. The Fall!

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
It's allegorical of these passages.
Rev 3:3
Rev 16:15
2 Peter 3:10
1 Thessalonians 5:2-4

And just where is the oil to back it up?

That is the point. They had their chance to be prepared and made the decision to focus on other things. Some are not going to make it. You must read it in context and with the culmination of the parable...

Verse 12-13. But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not. 13 Watch therefore, for all of you know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man comes.

Raeneske

Sep 18, 2012

Abraham’s father was a polygamist
Abraham had two wives
Jacob had four wives.
The father of Samuel was a polygamist
Gideon was a polygamist
King David was a polygamist
Solomon was a polygamist
Abijah, king or the southern nation of Israel had 14 wives.
Joash, who did right in the sight of the Lord, had two wives. Either that or the high priest had a couple of wives.

The list goes on and on...none of us...not even one of us...is worthy to say to these men that they did wrong in God's sight by loving more than one woman at a time. It was an honor for the women and they were well taken care of and protected.

You take one scripture that talks about bishops having but one wife and you make a broad doctrine out of it while ignoring thousands of years of biblical history. You take your ethnocentric values and elevate them to the status of scripture and preach them as additions to what God has said. You feel no shame when you revile men and woman of God who He attested to through mighty signs and wonders. You who may have not even seen a vision, won a battle, or did a single deed in the whole of your life that is worthy of scriptures feel qualified to pass judgment on such as these? Whole books were written about these polygamists whom you so easily criticize. Can't you see how ridiculous this is?

I often wonder why people are so concerned with perceived sexual sins of other people. Are they so pure that there is nothing in their own back yard that needs taking care of? Are they so board from lack of personal sins that they must go into other people’s bedrooms that uncover what they are doing?

When does this cease to be a question of doctrine and start to be judgment of another man’s servant?

God loves and prospers polygamists...plain and simple...two, at least, are with Him right now. He chose these men to be the founders of the nation of Israel. He chose polygamists to lead Israel. God is one but loves many...so what of it? I am stunned at the lack of spiritual sight on this issue with people who think that having only one wife is some type of righteousness. Marriage is not a number but a heart relationship.

Caring about what God thinks about Marriage, is not "trying to control everyone's sex life".

Like I said, I realize you can pull up a list of polygamists. But have you not read, he created them male and female? In the beginning, it was thus. They two were twain, and became one flesh. God very much so cares about polygamy. Just because God suffered them in the past because of how they were, does not mean it's okay for everyone to do. Sort of like how Moses suffered them to write a bill of divorce, only cause of the hardness of their hearts. Pulling up a list of men who divorced women for other reasons is a moot point. Only one man was perfect, and He was also God. And He showed how they were suffered to do some things. However, now we are in the time of Christ. We are Christians, and we are to emulate Jesus. Please show me where God had more than one "wife" - Spiritually speaking. Marriage was made to emulate the divine, and protect the family. For Israels rejection, and continues spiritual adultery, they were given their bill of divorcement. They didn't want Him anymore. Christ gave himself for the church, His bride. Be thou faithful, and not an harlot.