Polygamy

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is polygamy a sin/wrong?

• Total voters

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Amassing grace how sweet the sound, but now I see so clearly.

In all things we are not under the law of men, and neither is the perfect law of God accounted unto us the verdict of death.
Romans 10:4

But be not deceived and allow your freedom in Christ to lead you astray once again.
Romans 12:2

Please Forgive my testing Justin.
In the love of Christ I say AMen

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi Justin,

As Jesus was speaking to a community which had historically practised polygamy, for which He Himself had made provision in the Mosaic law, why did He now say that to even let a flicker of desire for a new woman cross a man's mind, it is 'adultery'? Why didn't He take the opportunity to ban divorce, in Matthew 19, instead of refining the reasons for it?

Have you ever considered what God sees in the heart of a man who cannot keep himself only for his one wife? Like Jesus is keeping Himself?

I don't know if you are married, and you don't have to tell me either, but unless a man is properly married to one wife, he can have no idea of the depth of issues which arise for both him and his spouse, through the consideration - let alone the taking - of another wife. Please think about it. I mean really think about it.

How could a Christian justify it before God, who desires an exclusive relationship with each believer individually?

As Axehead suggested, dig into scripture and think about how often fornication is mentioned. Why is that? Why did Christ say that fornication was an acceptable reason to divorce? Why did Christ lead Paul to promote what Christ had taught in Matt 19? Why not promote the Mosaic standard?

By the way, I have lived in Africa, and there is nothing to recommend polygamy, especially not for Christians.

IAmAWitness

Nov 7, 2012
Hi Witness,

I believe that Paul was saying just that. If you read the context he is talking about qualifications. Running a household well was seen to be indicative of one’s ability to handle the job of bishop or deacon. Making it a requirement to have only one wife really makes little sense. David ran an entire kingdom with about 17 wives so are people really willing to say that waiting tables requires that a man have only one? Were there so many men with multiple wives that wanted the job that Paul felt it vital to make a special point about it? I think not. I believe this may very well be yet another instance where ethnocentric cultural views have crept into even the translation of scripture.

The problem is what you are saying is not borne out of a fair reading of the verse. He must be, in the event he is married, the husband of one wife. I take the liberal view of polygamy that you do, but you can't distort this verse to support it. The evidence is clear: those in leadership are to have one wife, or none. Everyone else is free to pursue their happiness in marriage in the way that their laws provide.

Justin Mangonel

Nov 7, 2012
Hi All,

I think I do come of strong sometimes and I am hoping that I can moderate my tone to that of a reasonable person.

Ax, being as I deal with a lot of families in Africa that have more than one wife I can attest from persona experience as to the prevelance of it. Most people from the west do know know that this is the case because African's generally do not speak about it because of the negativity surrounding it. If you reserach it a bit online you will come to understand that it is still practices in many places in the world. If you wish to read a very good treatise on the subject try "Polyamy Reconsidered" by Eugene Hillman...it is, in my opinion, the best book on the subject. Polygamy is a fact of life in Africa and there are whole indigenous denominations where it is a non issue. For instance, an estimated 13% of Kenyans are in polygamous relationships (I read this a couple of days ago in one of their news papers.) The incidence of plural marriage is considerably higher in some other African nations. I think there is a Wikipedia artical about if you wish to look.

I don't think this question should be viewed as a big issue to God. I think that is why He did not speak to it very much in the Old or New Testaments. If God could write laws pertaining to the shape of a persons beard I think that He could have spoken very strongly about this form of marriage if it was a big deal to Him.

If you wish to interpret the scriptures to say that a decon or Bishop must only have one wife then I see not real problem with that. However, to not then expand that to cover the other offices of the chruch. Furthermore, do not use that on specific scripture to then say that no one can have more than one wife because it obviously does not say that.

I view the Old and New Testaments as a continum and not as two completely different eras. Yes, the Lamb of God has come and grace has been given. However, things like adultry and fornication are still wrong in moth covenants. What Jesus did was to piece through the legalism of the Jewish mindset to say that sin is of the heart and not just of an action. To God is not just having inappropriate intercourse that was problematic but the lust that was the genesis of the end result.

I have been happily married for over 23 years now and I do understand the issues of marriage. I have also lived amoung and worked with men and women of polygamous families in Africa for the last 12 years. From my experience I see the same issues facing both types of marriage. From what I see this type of marriage has more to do with culture than anything else. The things that make a marriage successful...love, respect, hard work....seem to be benificial to both types of unions.

Ax said that God desires an exclusive relationship with each one of us. This is what I mean about cultural viewpoints. Note the "each one of us" part of that statement. God, who we all agree is one, desires exclusive relationships with more than one person at a time for there are a lot of us.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi Rex,

How about 1 Corinthians 7, where Paul says he wishes men and women would not marry at all, so that they could devote all their time to the Lord; but if a person is married, they will seek to please their spouse (inevitably and naturally) and will have trouble in the world?

And that's with just one spouse!

Hi Justin,

It was I who said God desires an exclusive relationship with each one of us, and I'm aware that God is more than capable of relationships with every member of mankind, if they would have Him. As you pointed out about the heart, in respect of sin, this is what God is dealing with in believers, for the purpose of the Christian being washed from all sin to become a fit person with whom God may have fellowship.

I think that He could have spoken very strongly about this form of marriage if it was a big deal to Him.

I think that He did, and you're not taking Him nearly seriously enough.

If anyone is making ethnocentrically cultural adjustments in their thinking, it is yourself, because we are to be citizens of heaven, where there will be no marriage, apart from with the Lamb, and there will be no polygamy either.

Those who love the Lord will keep His commandments - to the point of extricating themselves from sexual relationships of which He does not approve.

If it was good enough for Abraham, before the Old Covenant, why would the New Covenant be a lesser standard?

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Hi Rex,

How about 1 Corinthians 7, where Paul says he wishes men and women would not marry at all, so that they could devote all their time to the Lord; but if a person is married, they will seek to please their spouse (inevitably and naturally) and will have trouble in the world?

And that's with just one spouse!

I completely agree I was married in 82 and she divorce me in 87 A huge division she had fallen in to drugs but I would have never left her. It took me 5 years to get custody of my son. She was a legal secretary when she filed, I didn't stand a chance. Some day I hope to share some testimony with you "in person".

But the fact is I have not nor do I ever intend to marry again. The path the Lord has placed on me from the beginning no woman would nor would I ever expect one to follow me threw. But I do have a son. To this day I still pay child support to CA for the 5 years I lost my son. You see she went right out and got pregnant, took a leave of absence from work and never returned. I have never been able to pay it back, Its like a credit card it keeps accumulating interest. I paid the principle back years ago.

I hope that answers your question. I believe every word Paul wrote in every letter. There is no contradiction nor darkness in Christ.

As to the way I handle Jason VS yours thats simply a matter of the heart. The out come is the same
God bless you Brother.
I also want to add That wasn't me answering you in the Matthew thread let me hear from U. I was looking just like I said and boy did I find

BTW seeing this is a relationship thread, I've been celibate for many years

Justin Mangonel

Nov 7, 2012
[font="Times New Roman""]But What Sayest Thou?
[/font]
[font="Times New Roman""]It is written,

"And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?"
[/font]
[font="Times New Roman""]John 8:3-5[/font]​

[font="Times New Roman""]This verse presents the question of what to do when we are confronted with what clearly looks to be sin according to the scriptures. In this example there is little doubt that the woman brought before Jesus was guilty of the sin of adultery. The Pharisees said to Jesus that according to Moses she should be stoned to death and wanted to know His opinion on the matter.

Legally the Pharisees were right according to the Laws of Moses. Since the law was given by God they felt that Jesus would have no choice but to condemn her also. This was not a sincere question because the religious leaders sought to temp the Son of God to go against the scripture. They knew Jesus preached forgiveness of sins and thought to brand Him as ungodly if He forgave this woman contrary to the law. Yet, God manifest in the flesh said to the woman after all her accusers had left ashamed "Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more."

What I wish to point out today is that we should always consider the human being before we condemn them.

Here is a truth,
[/font]
[font="Times New Roman""]Throwing stones costs us nothing while potentially it costs those we cast them at everything. [/font]

[font="Times New Roman""]
Take for example the question about polygamy in Africa. I use this example simply because it is a "hot button issue" for many believers who condemn such practices without thought or consideration of the human consequences.

When a Christian believer is confronted with this type of marriage arrangement many times they automatically denounce it as sin. The words that fall from their lips are often unkind or condescending at best. They confidently believe that they have the "right" according to scripture to treat the man so married with utter contempt while regarding the women joined to him with self-righteous pity. Like the Pharisees of the first century they feel justified to condemn these people along with their sin.

Yet, those who so readily condemn these people rarely stop to consider what effect their words have upon those they are directed towards. If the people who are practicing this life style took what they said literally they would put away all but their first wives including whatever children fathered from those "ungodly marriages." Thus conforming to others idea of righteousness they would cause all but the first wives kids to become illegitimate. This, in fact, was mandated by the first missionaries in Africa and is a terrible black mark on our evangelistic efforts there to this very day.

How would you feel as a young child who loved his father and mother if you were told that Jesus said your parents were sinful? What would you think if the missionaries told you that God was loving yet your farther must leave your mother in order to be a good Christian? What about the second or third wife that must now have no husband because of your doctrine? What about the man who loves all his wives and has to choose between them in order to obtain salvation? Do you have so little compassion that you can look such a man in the eye and say that God demands this from him? Would you destroy his family in order for your doctrine to prevail? If Christ spared the woman caught in adultery how can you sit in judgment on such a matter especially realizing that many of the greatest men of God you admire had similar types of families? If you can say yes in your heart to any of these questions then you are a legalist.

To say that God does not accept polygamy as a valid form of marriage costs you nothing but for those whom you demand follow your doctrine it costs them everything. Is our doctrine more important than the human beings you are ministering too? Man was not made for doctrine but rather doctrine was made for man. When our beliefs damage those we seek to save we must examine ourselves to see whether or not we truly speak in love and have the heart of God in the matter. Hard sayings were present in many of Emanuel's teachings yet the common people heard Him gladly. Can it be said the same of you?

Moreover, those who so easily cast stones are not more righteous than those they condemn. If the secret sins of the accusers were written, as it were, on the ground before them they would quickly drop their stones against polygamy and leave in shame.

Here is a truth,
[/font]
[font="Times New Roman""]Legalism is law without mercy[/font]

[font="Times New Roman""]In the Middle Ages during the inquisition people were actually tortured if they would not repent of what the religious leaders thought was heresy. It was considered best to kill the body rather than let their soul go to hell. Thus, they thought, the greater good was served by tortures too terrible to imagine. Read foxes "Book of Martyrs" to learn some of the methods used to encourage this primitive form of normative Christianity.

This same pitiless spirit of legalism still exists in the church today but thankfully it has been moderated by secular laws which prevent such abuses to basic human rights. Today, we still do terrible things to people spiritually by condemning and shunning those we feel do not meet our standards of righteousness and doctrinal purity. The same spirit that could watch a fellow human being burnt to death for the gospels sake is the same spirit that can also watch families be destroyed because they do not fit the western ideal of monogamy. This is the same type of spirit that caused religious Jews to cry "Crucify Him!"

The purpose of this essay is not to defend or condemn the practice of polygamy but rather to point out that believers should not be quick to condemn others when it costs them nothing to do so. We must not seek to cast stones for one day we will ask for mercy and understanding from someone even greater.

In conclusion, what sayest thou? Do you condemn those whom you do not understand or do you give them grace even though they do what you consider to be sin? Truly loving a sinner does not mean you put on spiritual gloves to handle them but rather that you stretch forth your hands to touch that which you consider leprous.
[/font]

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Justin, it was the cultural viewpoint of Paul and the other Apostles and the Early Church.

Please show me multiple African Christian churches that are continuing their culture of polygamy and teaching that God is pleased with it.

Thanks

Justin, it was the cultural viewpoint of Paul and the other Apostles and the Early Church.

Please show me multiple African Christian churches that are continuing their culture of polygamy and teaching that God is pleased with it. That is all I am simply asking. African churches, not American.

Thanks

Justin Mangonel

Nov 7, 2012
The whole denomination of Legio Maria for one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legio_Maria

What is your point? That this type of marriage is not widespread? Or that it is not accepted?

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
Hi Comm.Arnold,

The context of Leviticus 18 is Egyptian and Canaanite idolatry: 2 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say to them, I am the LORD your God. 3 After the doings of the land of Egypt, wherein ye dwelt, shall ye not do: and after the doings of the land of Canaan, whither I bring you, shall ye not do: neither shall ye walk in their ordinances.

The Lord then goes on to describe incestuous and bestial relationships which He defines as abominations.

Here is the KJV's rendering of v 18. I think it demonstrates more clearly, what the Lord was saying:

18 Neither shalt thou take a wife to her sister, to vex [her], to uncover her nakedness, beside the other in her life [time].

{a wife...: or, one wife to another}

Can you see how God respects both the wife's and her sister's privacy, and abhors such an attitude in a husband?

Ephesians 5:28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loves his wife loves himself. 29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourishes and cherishes it, even as the Lord the church: 30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones. 31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined to his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.

Yes I see where I was mistaken into thinking it was explicity forbidden. Also the supporting verses you mention do not really frown upon the concept I thought the joining in the flesh was more restrictive, as I get older I see these things in a different more valuable light. Anyways like I said I wanted to bring this up once to see if I would be chastised or condemned for considering multiple women and see what the main objections are. It sure does not feel too good some days trying to juggle all the women and there families and trying to make everyone happy.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi Comm.Arnold,

Yes I see where I was mistaken into thinking it was explicitly forbidden.

Don't you understand, yet? God was describing abominations, for which He will eventually destroy you if you participate in them?

Jesus did explicitly forbid 'multiple women', when He said it is adultery to look with desire upon a second woman.

The Old Testament is full of God's unwilling patience and tolerance towards Israel (old Israel), and Judah, for abandoning their first love - God Himself. He destroyed those who persisted in idolatry, because He had wanted their whole hearts to embrace His whole heart, solely.

Exodus 34:14 '... the LORD, whose name [is] Jealous, [is] a jealous God...'

This is the picture of an Husband, which you are to take to heart - to be a man who both gives to, and desires exclusive love from, your spouse.

Also the supporting verses you mention do not really frown upon the concept I thought the joining in the flesh was more restrictive,

There are only two worship systems in this cosmos: the worship of God and the worship of self, aided and abetted by Satan's powers.

What you are expressing here, is pure fornication - the heart of an idolater. You are demonstrating a total lack of understanding of the issues which God brings to us in His word, of which you should be making a study for the rest of your life, whether you marry or not.

God's decrees are Makers Instructions. He is informing you of the kind of marriage which He approves, and blesses, if so conducted.

You really need to wake up, spiritually, and give your life to God with all your heart, and stop your friendship with the world while you can.

In the New Testament, the picture is even stronger, with Jesus Christ laying down His life for one Bride, the Church, and sending the Holy Spirit to baptise believers into just one body, receiving His own very life as their reason for being and power for living.

During His earthly ministry He returned marriage to Eden, (Matt 19), and restated 'one man one woman' was what 'He who created them' had intended. If we are to take the apostles John and Paul's words to heart, too, then 'He who created them' is none other than Jesus Christ. What I'm saying is, He knew what He was talking about. He was, also, referring to mankind having been made male and female, in God's own image.

Deuteronomy 6:4 Hear, O Israel: YHVH our ELOHIYM is one YHVH:

Polygamy gives a picture of a man whose heart is divided, who is incapable of giving himself whole-heartedly in love to only one, (as God does), which He pictured for us in several marriages in scripture. In so doing, Elohiym showed that He understands what the women go through, when they have to share a husband. God also shows us in the New Testament, that He has no intention of putting HIS Bride, through those agonies.

James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that gives to all [men] liberally, and upbraids not; and it shall be given him. 6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavers is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. 7 For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord. 8 A double minded man [is] unstable in all his ways.

Comm.Arnold, if you are willing to adopt God's viewpoint on these matters, you will be blessed in your marriage (to one woman) beyond anything you imagine possible, (because marriage is far more than the marriage bed), but if you continue with your unregenerate attitudes, you will reap corruption. If you keep sowing to the flesh, you will prove the truth of the apostle's observation.

Galatians 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man sows, that shall he also reap. 8 For he that sows to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that sows to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

In fact, it may already be that you are reaping a foretaste. God is warning you.

Don't kid yourself that what God used in a previous era, (polygamy), was God sanctioning multiple wives for Christians. Polygamy existed amongst the Hebrews at a time they could never, in their hearts and lifestyle, be free from sin (as we may be), because Messiah had not yet come.

Once Messiah came, and the Holy Spirit was poured out to enable men and women to 'live godly', we are without excuse if we go ahead and set up our lives around 'flesh', instead of the Spirit.

There is a purity of body which Christians experience when they manage their affairs according to God's word, and the leading of His Spirit. The only way you will experience that purity, is by repenting from worldly attitudes, and receiving from God, a new heart and spirit.

1 Corinthians 7:

1 Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: [It is] good for a man not to touch a woman. 2 Nevertheless, [to avoid] fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

28 But and if thou marry, thou hast not sinned; and if a virgin marry, she hath not sinned. Nevertheless such shall have trouble in the flesh: but I spare you. 29 But this I say, brethren, the time [is] short: it remains that both they that have wives be as though they had none; 30 And they that weep, as though they wept not; and they that rejoice, as though they rejoiced not; and they that buy, as though they possessed not; 31 And they that use this world, as not abusing [it]: for the fashion of this world passes away.

32 But I would have you without carefulness. He that is unmarried cares for the things that belong to the Lord, how he may please the Lord: 33 But he that is married cares for the things that are of the world, how he may please [his] wife.

34 There is difference [also] between a wife and a virgin. The unmarried woman cares for the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit: but she that is married cares for the things of the world, how she may please [her] husband.

35 And this I speak for your own profit; not that I may cast a snare upon you, but for that which is comely, and that ye may attend upon the Lord without distraction.

Anyways like I said I wanted to bring this up once to see if I would be chastised or condemned for considering multiple women and see what the main objections are. It sure does not feel too good some days trying to juggle all the women and there families and trying to make everyone happy.

As far as this post from you indicated, you still have no idea what 'the main objections are', because you are not looking at your life from God's point of view. While you look at it from your point of view, constantly trying to figure out what and how much you will get out of your choices, you will continue to go round in circles. The way out of that endless loop is the cross. Give up the fleshly struggle, and yield your whole life to God.

Do it now.

As you begin to grow up in God, being led by Him in all your decisions, your life will simplfy enormously, and bloom according to His will, but that will require you to mortify the flesh. Romans 8:13

Ephesians 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; [Note:eek:ne husband one wife]

Ephesians 5:28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loves his wife loves himself. [Note: one husband one wife]

Ephesians 5:33 Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself ...' [Note: one husband one wife]

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
That's a pretty bold statement Justin I hope you have the oil to back it up.
I've said my peace and you agreed.
http://www.christianityboard.com/topic/16553-polygamy/page__st__120#entry172656

God Bless

Polygamy is a cultural issue. God does not really care the number of women you have as long as you treat them well.

It's interesting to watch threads, who starts them who entertains them and watch what fruit they bear.
http://www.christianityboard.com/topic/16553-polygamy/page__st__120#entry172650

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi Rex,

Thank you for your reply, yesterday. I can tell from how you wrote, and what you wrote, that you have considerable understanding and fidelity. Being over here in the UK, I'm quite surprised at what you shared about still paying up after all these years, despite your son's age, now. That doesn't even seem as if it could be legal, to my tender ears.

I will try to reply to your posts to mine, in other threads. Thanks for your patience. :)

Hi Justin,

Polygamy is a cultural issue.

Exactly! The culture of the world.

1 John 2:15, 16 Love not the world, neither the things [that are] in the world.
If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
For all that [is] in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life,
is not of the Father, but is of the world.

James 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God?
whoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

- the culture to which Jesus, John, Peter, Paul, Jude, James, all said we are not to be conformed. Romans 12:2

God does not really care the number of women you have as long as you treat them well.

There is no New Testament scripture to support your view, and the teaching of Christ is against polygamy.

Hebrews 10:9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God.
He takes away the first, that he may establish the second.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
The whole denomination of Legio Maria for one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legio_Maria

What is your point? That this type of marriage is not widespread? Or that it is not accepted?

The only thing rhat is important is that the Spirit of God accepts it, not you or I. So, I am wanting to see evidence that the Spirit of God is behind this and if so where is this manifested in the churches of God worldwide? One denomination is not enough and you should know that. It does not matter if man is behind it. There is no evidence of it in the NT or the early church and if It was important enough to make a distinction about it in the churches versus a pagan practice why didn't Jesus do that? Also, no mention of it at the Jerusalem council in Acts 15.

People have every right to be skeptical of your teaching. Just because a community practices something does not mean God is supporting it.

Mormons don't count since they are not Biblical Christians, but you know that I assume.

Justin, I don't even think the Vatican supports http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legio_Maria

And even if they do, most non-catholic churches of Jesus Christ consider Catholicism a false christian religion.

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
Hi Comm.Arnold,

Don't you understand, yet? God was describing abominations, for which He will eventually destroy you if you participate in them?

Jesus did explicitly forbid 'multiple women', when He said it is adultery to look with desire upon a second woman.

The Old Testament is full of God's unwilling patience and tolerance towards Israel (old Israel), and Judah, for abandoning their first love - God Himself. He destroyed those who persisted in idolatry, because He had wanted their whole hearts to embrace His whole heart, solely.

Exodus 34:14 '... the LORD, whose name [is] Jealous, [is] a jealous God...'

This is the picture of an Husband, which you are to take to heart - to be a man who both gives to, and desires exclusive love from, your spouse.

There are only two worship systems in this cosmos: the worship of God and the worship of self, aided and abetted by Satan's powers.

What you are expressing here, is pure fornication - the heart of an idolater. You are demonstrating a total lack of understanding of the issues which God brings to us in His word, of which you should be making a study for the rest of your life, whether you marry or not.

God's decrees are Makers Instructions. He is informing you of the kind of marriage which He approves, and blesses, if so conducted.

You really need to wake up, spiritually, and give your life to God with all your heart, and stop your friendship with the world while you can.

In the New Testament, the picture is even stronger, with Jesus Christ laying down His life for one Bride, the Church, and sending the Holy Spirit to baptise believers into just one body, receiving His own very life as their reason for being and power for living.

During His earthly ministry He returned marriage to Eden, (Matt 19), and restated 'one man one woman' was what 'He who created them' had intended. If we are to take the apostles John and Paul's words to heart, too, then 'He who created them' is none other than Jesus Christ. What I'm saying is, He knew what He was talking about. He was, also, referring to mankind having been made male and female, in God's own image.

Deuteronomy 6:4 Hear, O Israel: YHVH our ELOHIYM is one YHVH:

Polygamy gives a picture of a man whose heart is divided, who is incapable of giving himself whole-heartedly in love to only one, (as God does), which He pictured for us in several marriages in scripture. In so doing, Elohiym showed that He understands what the women go through, when they have to share a husband. God also shows us in the New Testament, that He has no intention of putting HIS Bride, through those agonies.

James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that gives to all [men] liberally, and upbraids not; and it shall be given him. 6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavers is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. 7 For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord. 8 A double minded man [is] unstable in all his ways.

Comm.Arnold, if you are willing to adopt God's viewpoint on these matters, you will be blessed in your marriage (to one woman) beyond anything you imagine possible, (because marriage is far more than the marriage bed), but if you continue with your unregenerate attitudes, you will reap corruption. If you keep sowing to the flesh, you will prove the truth of the apostle's observation.

Galatians 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man sows, that shall he also reap. 8 For he that sows to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that sows to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

In fact, it may already be that you are reaping a foretaste. God is warning you.

Don't kid yourself that what God used in a previous era, (polygamy), was God sanctioning multiple wives for Christians. Polygamy existed amongst the Hebrews at a time they could never, in their hearts and lifestyle, be free from sin (as we may be), because Messiah had not yet come.

Once Messiah came, and the Holy Spirit was poured out to enable men and women to 'live godly', we are without excuse if we go ahead and set up our lives around 'flesh', instead of the Spirit.

There is a purity of body which Christians experience when they manage their affairs according to God's word, and the leading of His Spirit. The only way you will experience that purity, is by repenting from worldly attitudes, and receiving from God, a new heart and spirit.

1 Corinthians 7:

1 Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: [It is] good for a man not to touch a woman. 2 Nevertheless, [to avoid] fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

28 But and if thou marry, thou hast not sinned; and if a virgin marry, she hath not sinned. Nevertheless such shall have trouble in the flesh: but I spare you. 29 But this I say, brethren, the time [is] short: it remains that both they that have wives be as though they had none; 30 And they that weep, as though they wept not; and they that rejoice, as though they rejoiced not; and they that buy, as though they possessed not; 31 And they that use this world, as not abusing [it]: for the fashion of this world passes away.

32 But I would have you without carefulness. He that is unmarried cares for the things that belong to the Lord, how he may please the Lord: 33 But he that is married cares for the things that are of the world, how he may please [his] wife.

34 There is difference [also] between a wife and a virgin. The unmarried woman cares for the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit: but she that is married cares for the things of the world, how she may please [her] husband.

35 And this I speak for your own profit; not that I may cast a snare upon you, but for that which is comely, and that ye may attend upon the Lord without distraction.

As far as this post from you indicated, you still have no idea what 'the main objections are', because you are not looking at your life from God's point of view. While you look at it from your point of view, constantly trying to figure out what and how much you will get out of your choices, you will continue to go round in circles. The way out of that endless loop is the cross. Give up the fleshly struggle, and yield your whole life to God.

Do it now.

As you begin to grow up in God, being led by Him in all your decisions, your life will simplfy enormously, and bloom according to His will, but that will require you to mortify the flesh. Romans 8:13

Ephesians 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; [Note:eek:ne husband one wife]

Ephesians 5:28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loves his wife loves himself. [Note: one husband one wife]

Ephesians 5:33 Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself ...' [Note: one husband one wife]

Were you not just defending polygamy on the previous pages ? Do you smoke a lot of crack ?

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Hi Rex,

I will try to reply to your posts to mine, in other threads. Thanks for your patience. :)

Thats not necessary, as the Lord leads
LOL "patience" like I could add a day to my life. It's certainly a gift. but your welcome in the grace the Lord has given me.