Polygamy

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is polygamy a sin/wrong?

• Total voters

Justin Mangonel

Nov 7, 2012
Hi all,

We cannot base a prohibition of polygamy upon one side reference to it in the New Testament when so many of the most revered men in the Bible had multiple wives. I understand that our culture stems from the Victorian age which has its roots in romantic love...or the ideas of marriage as espoused by the Roman Empire. However, we must align ourselves with God in all things because He is the test of truth and not our idiosyncratic ideas about love and marriage.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
ZebraHug said:
Nope. It didn't work. lol
Yes, it does.

Justin Mangonel said:
Hi all,

We cannot base a prohibition of polygamy upon one side reference to it in the New Testament when so many of the most revered men in the Bible had multiple wives. I understand that our culture stems from the Victorian age which has its roots in romantic love...or the ideas of marriage as espoused by the Roman Empire. However, we must align ourselves with God in all things because He is the test of truth and not our idiosyncratic ideas about love and marriage.
And in the beginning God created only one wife for Adam.

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
Selene said:
Yes, it does.

And in the beginning God created only one wife for Adam.

And in the beginning, God created a single man, Adam, and said, 'It's not good that man should be alone."

Does that mean celibacy is wrong?

God didn't create school. Does that mean this institution is evil?

Justin Mangonel

Nov 7, 2012
Dear Selene,

Are you saying that because God created only one woman for Adam that we should all have one wife? Does you logic extend to being naked because Adam and Eve were naked? After all, God did not create clothes so perhaps they are sinful.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Justin Mangonel said:
Dear Selene,

Are you saying that because God created only one woman for Adam that we should all have one wife? Does you logic extend to being naked because Adam and Eve were naked? After all, God did not create clothes so perhaps they are sinful.
Are you saying that God was wrong in creating only one wife for Adam? God did not create clothes for Adam and Eve because at the time clothes were not needed. God created the human body beautiful and the human body is not shameful.

Genesis 2:25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

After disobeying God, clothes was created by Adam and Eve because of their lust. Because the sin of lust has entered the world, God even made another rule for us to follow......clothe the naked (See Luke 12:28, Matthew 25:33-46). However, nowhere in the Bible did God ever made a rule to have more than one wives. The fact that King Solomon and others took more than one wives was their choice rather than the will of God. As Christians, we are to follow God.

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
Selene said:
Are you saying that God was wrong in creating only one wife for Adam? God did not create clothes for Adam and Eve because at the time clothes were not needed. God created the human body beautiful and the human body is not shameful.

Genesis 2:25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

After disobeying God, clothes was created by Adam and Eve because of their lust. Because the sin of lust has entered the world, God even made another rule for us to follow......clothe the naked (See Luke 12:28, Matthew 25:33-46). However, nowhere in the Bible did God ever made a rule to have more than one wives. The fact that King Solomon and others took more than one wives was their choice rather than the will of God. As Christians, we are to follow God.
Well at the same time, neither was another person needed. In some cases though, polygyny has its uses. Of course, we, in our 'civilized' society don't really like to think of those uses.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
ZebraHug said:
Well at the same time, neither was another person needed. In some cases though, polygyny has its uses. Of course, we, in our 'civilized' society don't really like to think of those uses.
Polygamy has negative uses. There is nothing positive about it. It destroys the dignity of a woman by demeaning her into an object.

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
Selene said:
Polygamy has negative uses. There is nothing positive about it. It destroys the dignity of a woman by demeaning her into an object.
I guess it does it about as much as monogamy . . . .

You could argue that marriage itself, demeans women. Of course, it all depends on WHOSE viewpoint you're taking.

P.S. I'm being sarcastic. I don't believe that marriage demeans anyone: if following God's original plan, and that is to love your spouse as yourself.

I don't know if you read the news much, but monogamy has plenty of negative uses too! Open your eyes.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
ZebraHug said:
I guess it does it about as much as monogamy . . . .

You could argue that marriage itself, demeans women. Of course, it all depends on WHOSE viewpoint you're taking.

P.S. I'm being sarcastic. I don't believe that marriage demeans anyone: if following God's original plan, and that is to love your spouse as yourself.

I don't know if you read the news much, but monogamy has plenty of negative uses too! Open your eyes.
Monogamy is not the problem. God's plan for marriage has always been between one man and one woman. The relationship between a man and his wife has been disrupted by sin. Having same sex unions or polygamous marriages is not the answer nor will it help heal the disruption caused by sin.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Justin Mangonel said:
Dear S,

Are you comparing the unions that Jacob had with his wives to the sin of homosexuality?
Homosexuality is being attracted and having sex to a person of the same sex. Polygamy is having sex with many people. Homosexuality AND polygamy are both wrong. Some states have already legalized same sex marriage. After that, those who favor polygamy will be coming out of the woodworks and also try to implement polygamy using the same tactics as the gay activists. They will end up shouting for equality just like the gay activists did.

Justin Mangonel

Nov 7, 2012
Dear S,

Wow...I never thought of that. That would be strange...A Godly form of marriage being legalized becasue of same sex marrakge...that would certainily be something. i guess we will just have to wait and see.

If polygamy became the law of the land would then be in favor of it?

I notice you did not answer my question about Jacob...why didn't you address that? Do you believe He was an adulterer because he had sex with many people?

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Justin Mangonel said:
Dear S,

Wow...I never thought of that. That would be strange...A Godly form of marriage being legalized becasue of same sex marrakge...that would certainily be something. i guess we will just have to wait and see.

If polygamy became the law of the land would then be in favor of it?

I notice you did not answer my question about Jacob...why didn't you address that? Do you believe He was an adulterer because he had sex with many people?
Reaneske was the one who was always saying that polygamy is adultery. Polygamy is actually immoral just as having sex with animals, dead bodies, and objects is immoral. It is a sexual immorality. Incest is also a sexual immorality. Polygamy is not Godly because God created only one wife for Adam since the beginning, and God is the one a Christian should follow.

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
Selene said:
Reaneske was the one who was always saying that polygamy is adultery. Polygamy is actually immoral just as having sex with animals, dead bodies, and objects is immoral. It is a sexual immorality. Incest is also a sexual immorality. Polygamy is not Godly because God created only one wife for Adam since the beginning, and God is the one a Christian should follow.
Which is why we find it mentioned alongside all these .. . . . . not . . . . .

Justin Mangonel

Nov 7, 2012
Dear S,

You are reading from a different Bible than I am. I think what you said is ludicrous in the extreme. I revere these men who had more than one wife and you should too. To compare what they did to such terrible things is very wrong in my opinion. I hope R is not saying such things either.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Justin Mangonel said:
Dear S,

You are reading from a different Bible than I am. I think what you said is ludicrous in the extreme. I revere these men who had more than one wife and you should too. To compare what they did to such terrible things is very wrong in my opinion. I hope R is not saying such things either.

I worship and follow only God, not men.

Justin Mangonel

Nov 7, 2012
Dear S,

If you worship God then you revere God. If you revere God then you must wish to serve God. If you serve God then you must wish to obey God. If you obey you must also reverence His word. Therefore, you cannot compare the marriages of His most honored men and women the the types of sins you have listed

Pelaides

Jul 30, 2012
Polgamy is not a sin,its allowed in the bible,In our society its frowned on ,because of overpopulation and other man made reasons.

SilenceInMotion

Dec 10, 2012
Virginia, USA
Before grace, marriage took on a bit different context- marriage was more of a necessity rather then a binding of the flesh. A man would take on multiple woman to propel his enterprise. For example, the more women there are, the more children there are, and these children would carry on their fathers legacy.

However, the New Covenant is not about necessity, it is about love. Because Jesus died for our sins, God demands that we look away from necessity and focus more on our inner selves. Marriage is a fusion between men and women, and is inadequate in love if there are multiple wives.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hehe. So, I've finally found a nice little topic: polygamy, what does the Scripture have to say about it? Is polygamy really a sin?
How is this for an idea. In Genesis, God told man to go forth and multiply. He didn't say go forth and add. To multiply needs more than one wife.

Now, the idea posited is that in the early days of creation, there was no disease as sin hadn't had the time to infect the earth with it, so in essence anyone could marry anyone and there would be no negative consequences physically and this is the reason why people lived for hundreds of years.

This fact and to multiply and populate the earth, having more than one wife was, um, necessary.

Now that we have an overpopulated earth as some would have us believe, we don't need to go forth and multiply. Therefore it stands to reason that one wife is all that is needed and you add, not multiply, 2.4 children. I have to admit despite this being the average, I have never seen .4 of a child anywhere.

So what was needed then is not needed now, so God in his wisdom has allowed man to pass laws that say one man and one woman marriage is the way to go, unless you are a muslim of course and notwithstanding the strident demands of the pink gaystapo who want every Tom, Dick and Homosexual to be allowed to marry.