Polygamy

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is polygamy a sin/wrong?

• Total voters

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi JosyWales and Brother James,

the degenerate state of Judah prior to the captivity would not be the model God would offer for anyone to emulate.

I think this verse perfectly captures the issues God had been trying to deal with in Judah. In one place Jeremiah points out he is in his twenty-third year of warning them to stop their idolatry an avert God's judgment on them. Their response when some had escaped to Egypt, taking Jeremiah with them is, 'we had plenty when we worshipped the queen of heaven, and since we stopped making offerings to her we have been in want'. They didn't see that it was God who had brought them into want as a punishment for idolatry, nor, that He had always provided for them when they had been faithful to Him. When Jeremiah addresses the women of Judah, in Egypt, this is what they replied:

Jeremiah 44:19 And when we burned incense to the queen of heaven, and poured out drink offerings unto her, did we make her cakes to worship her, and pour out drink offerings unto her, without our men? {men: or, husbands?}

It's precisely because of the headship (over a wife) which God gave again to men after the fall, that God promised Himself to destroy the men if they would not repent. I think you are forgetting that none of the idolatrous worship systems were without sexual deviancy. As a result, all the men and women worshipping the queen of heaven, had broken several of the laws by which they ought to have been bound in covenant to God. So, they were not only breaking the second commandment, but were committing abominations - all stoning offences

Deuteronomy 13:6 If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which [is] as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers; 7 [Namely], of the gods of the people which [are] round about you, nigh unto thee, or far off from thee, from the [one] end of the earth even unto the [other] end of the earth; 8 Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him: 9 But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people. 10 And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die; because he hath sought to thrust thee away from the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage. {bondage: Heb. bondmen} 11 And all Israel shall hear, and fear, and shall do no more any such wickedness as this is among you.

Here is the word in Isaiah 3:17 Therefore the Lord will smite with a scab the crown of the head of the daughters of Zion, and the LORD will discover their secret parts. Check out H6596. 25 Thy men shall fall by the sword, and thy mighty in the war.

God has a place in His heart for widows, which we see all through scripture. They are to be taken care of. In the situation which would befall the women of Judah, there would be very few men left to become a legitimate covering to them, and a comfort, in a right way.

Isaiah 3:26 And her gates shall lament and mourn; and she [being] desolate shall sit upon the ground. {desolate: or, emptied: Heb. cleansed}

Josy, these things happened as Jeremiah describes them. One aspect of his account stands out to me, which is, that they people who had been worshipping the queen of heaven had no spiritual insight whatever, and even when the meaning of external events was being spelled out to them year by year, they still preferred to worship the queen of heaven rather than their Creator and Saviour. This is what Paul describes in principle in Romans 1:

24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: 25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen. [creature = person or thing]

28 And even as they did not like to retain God in [their] knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; 29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication...'

'they did not like to retain God in [their] knowledge', is the basis of all idolatry. Romans 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified [him] not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their image-inations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

Lastly, it appears that it is directed toward a certain person known as the Branch. This particular fellow is presented in Zech before Joshua, the High Priest, and we all know that Joshua is the OT name of Jesus.

Joshua was the real High Priest at the time of Zechariah's vision. God showed Zechariah the role of the true High Priest as the substitute of all men, who would offer Himself. He (Joshua/God our Saviour - Messiah) would take on our dirty garments (sin) and through the sacrifice of Himself would bestow upon us new, clean, priestly garments, and we would be given the helmet of salvation, and the Holy Spirit by whom we are able to exercise His authority spiritually. The High Priest had/has special duties in the Temple/temple, which only he could/He can do. In the vision Joshua is both a High Priest and an ordinary man who had to offer sacrifices for his own sins. But, as a picture of the Messiah/High Priest yet to come, we see how Satan opposed/opposes Messiah's ministry, and opposes the brethren (believers).

Revelation 12:10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.

The Branch is a reference to Messiah's descent from Jesse of the tribe of Judah. If you think of a tree standing the right way up - not the way you would draw a genealogy on paper, (with the root at the top), then it's easy to see Jesse's eight sons as branches, with David's descendants forming their own 'branch' system within the whole tree. The 'branch' is the Hebrew word for 'sprout'. This picture was understood by the people, and fits in very well with other prophecy, such as Isa 6:13 and Num 24:17, where Sceptre is a (wooden) rod.

sceptre

H7626 שֵׁבֶט shebet (shay'-bet) n-m.

1. a scion, i.e. (literally) a stick (for punishing, writing, fighting, ruling, walking, etc.) or (figuratively) a clan
[from an unused root probably meaning to branch off]
KJV: X correction, dart, rod, sceptre, staff, tribe.

Isaiah 54:5
For thy Maker [is] thine husband;
the LORD of hosts [is] his name;
and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel;
The God of the whole earth shall he be called.

Isaiah 59:20 And the Redeemer shall come to Zion [Jerusalem], and unto them that turn from transgression in Jacob, saith the LORD.

Luke 13:27 But he shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from me, all [ye] workers of iniquity. 28 There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when ye shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and you [yourselves] thrust out. 29 And they shall come from the east, and [from] the west, and from the north, and [from] the south, and shall sit down in the kingdom of God. 30 And, behold, there are last which shall be first, and there are first which shall be last.

31 The same day there came certain of the Pharisees, saying unto him, Get thee out, and depart hence: for Herod will kill thee. 32 And he said unto them, Go ye, and tell that fox, Behold, I cast out devils, and I do cures to day and to morrow, and the third [day] I shall be perfected. 33 Nevertheless I must walk to day, and to morrow, and the [day] following: for it cannot be that a prophet perish out of Jerusalem.

Zion (previously Jebus) is a rocky mount - a hard, dry place, with no fresh water. It has to be piped in somehow.

Symbolically, this is like the heart of stone, which God promised to change to a heart of flesh in those who receive Him (Messiah).

John 7:37 In the last day, that great [day] of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. 38 He that believes on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. 39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet [given]; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

Reactions: Brother James

JosyWales

Oct 21, 2008
Orlando, Fl
So, just one question.

If it turns out that I am right, would you guys condemn this fellow if he shows up in person as the Bible seems to present it?

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi JosyWales,

We are all expecting Jesus Christ to come back in the same manner He left the earth.

JosyWales

Oct 21, 2008
Orlando, Fl
So, if I am right and Michael comes first and fights the Beast on earth during the Apocalypse, and it turns out that he fulfills this prophecy, and the Beast, who will be doing his best to act like a good guy accuses him of evil in this matter, how will you act?

Also I found this:

Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.

Oscar Wilde

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi JosyWales,

Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.

Oscar Wilde

You know Oscar Wilde was bound to say something like that, don't you?

So, if I am right and Michael comes first and fights the Beast on earth during the Apocalypse, and it turns out that he fulfills this prophecy, and the Beast, who will be doing his best to act like a good guy accuses him of evil in this matter, how will you act?

I have no idea. To me this is not about rightness or wrongness of opinion, but of whether there is any basis in scripture for your view. To that end, therefore, please can you show me a verse preceding this one, where there is an indication of Michael's activity?

Revelation 19:20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

JosyWales

Oct 21, 2008
Orlando, Fl
Heh, I thought that quote from Oscar Wild was hilarious.

But getting back to being serious, and with the fear of hijacking this thread, I can provide many verses, with possibly one of the main ones being in Revelation 12 where it shows Michael and his followers, called his Angels, risking death by fighting the Devil and his Angels, who include the Beast and the False Prophet. I have already pointed out elsewhere that if this battle is spiritual in nature only, then how could they be risking their lives since beings in Heaven do not die or risk loss of life as far as I can see?

Just so you know where I am coming from, I will state plainly that I have come to believe irrevicobly that the way it works is that Jesus was to come first and be rejected for not being Michael and then the opposite will occur, with a similar result. This second event is what we refer to as the Apocalypse

The main reason this is so hard for many to understand is because of the intense input caused by false interpretation trying to make the Anointed One of Daniel 9, who is called there the Messiah, into being Jesus when it is not. It is Michael which is why Daniel made mention of him in Dan 12 as standing to save the children of the people. This is the main reason why I spent so much time in my other thread about how by taking the days of Revelation and adding the Seventy Weeks to them, you get exactly the 2300 day period spoken of in Daniel 8. Once you see that, you have to accept that no part of the Seventy Weeks or the 2300 days have yet occured in any way. This makes it impossible for the Anointed One in Daniel 9 to be Jesus.

This is further shown in Daniel 7 when someone who has just gone through the Apocalypse is brought before the Ancient of Days and rewarded for his efforts. A simple read of the actions of the Ancient of Days in Daniel and Jesus at His return in Revelation show conclusively that the Ancient of Days and Jesus are the same person. This means of course, since you cant bring someone to stand before themselves, there is a second person involved here. The only person Daniel mentions, or is mentioned in Revelation, is Michael.

This was predicted in Zech 11 in the prophecy of the two Staffs, the first which is obviously Jesus as known by it being sold out for 30 pieces of silver and then being destroyed. He is the first staff. The second staff is Michael.

We also know that Michael is mentioned in both Daniel and Revelation in referance to the Apocalypse.

We know for example that in Zech 1, the Rider of the Red Horse is the Angel of the Lord and is surrounded by Myrtle Trees and leading others. Myrtle is the interpretation of Queen Esthers Hebrew name (Hadassa), which is why I am relating it to the situation here in Isa 4. These Seven Women will be of the same virtue as Esther, thus their designation as Myrtle Trees. We also see in Rev 10 a Mighty Angel coming down from heaven, roaring in a loud voice and having Seven Thunders respond to him. This is again a spiritual view of the event of Isa 4.

Another proof is this statement in Zech:
Zec 12:8
In that day shall the LORD defend the inhabitants of Jerusalem; and he that is feeble among them at that day shall be as David; and the house of David [shall be] as God, as the angel of the LORD before them.

Zech 1 has already told you that the Angel of the Lord is the Rider of the Red Horse, who is the Second Angel of Revelation.

I could keep going. Once you see that we are talking about two different individuals here, Jesus and Michael, all the prophecy fits together perfectly without having to apply any strange interpretations or symbolism to them, It becomes straight forward and easy to understand, which is why I keep telling you that this is so easy even a grade schooler could understand it.

However, I understand now and have for some time, that no one is going to believe this. They have been trained too well otherwise. I have no doubt that when Michael appears, the Beast will easily paint him as evil and the people will accept it for the most part. He will use things like Micheals relationships to these Seven to do so.

I just do not believe that you folks understand the nature of what is getting ready to befall all of us. You will not escape. Worse, you will have to make a choice between Michael, who will be trashed using methods like the one listed above and the Beast who will come across as what everyone has come to accept as being 'a man of God' when he most assuredly will not be. He will be so good at it that unless you have recieved the Holy Spirit in the same or similar fashion as was done in Acts, you will be decieved.

I am pretty sure that if I am not right on this one, I am not too far off.

jerzy

Sep 7, 2012
  1. Record shows that Lamech was the first one to choose two wives which might have caused him to slain a man (for whatever reason).
  2. I see many condoning their right to choose a “marriage” partner. I don’t see God finding the part He created for this exclusive purpose.
  3. Jesus states that polygamy wasn’t God’s purpose at the beginning.
  4. …He which is joined to an harlot is one body. For two, saith he, shall be one flesh.
So, how many of “one flesh” can one become?

Unfortunately, man replaced God’s rite of becoming “one flesh” with the rite of being married, a rite having differing meanings for different people.

Is polygamy a sin?

Well, it is not clearly stated but since contravention of God’s word is sin then contravention of His rite of one flesh is.

JosyWales

Oct 21, 2008
Orlando, Fl
I took a look at that article and it does not deal properly with Isa 4. He makes a statement that it is about dealing with the haughty women of Jerusalem but fails to mention that the very next verse shows God approving of it.

Now, once again, I will say that this seems to be a one time prophecy about someone who appears during the Apocalypse and most likely should not be used as a justification of polygamy.

However, if the US is going to make sodomy legal and still prosecute folks for this, then I have to question that. As for god fearing folk who have a problem with this idea, then I will support you just as I support those who think polygamy is ok. It should be a personal choice without the Government telling people how to live their lives in the name of religion.

But I still say that this event will happen in the future and the Branch is not a bad guy.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi Josy,

At this time I cannot divert from studying as God leads me, but I will try to bear in mind your thoughts when I'm in relevant scriptures.

Your thesis about Isa 4:1 being in the future really is unlikely, since we are 2.5 millennia further on than the event Isaiah and Jeremiah prophesied.

'The Branch' is Jesus Christ of the tribe of Judah, who has already fulfilled key prophecies about Himself, although His role as a Son over His own house is not yet complete.

However you let your mind wander over all that may yet come to pass be careful to know Him for yourself, and be not deceived.

Reactions: Axehead

JosyWales

Oct 21, 2008
Orlando, Fl
Well thank you Dragonfly.

I try to keep it right, even if it seems to disagree with the majority.

As for Jesus being the Branch, I never saw seven women taking hold of him and calling themselves by his name anywhere in the Bible. It seems it would have been mentioned as a fullfillment of this prophecy if that were so I would think. I mean, when Jesus fulfilled the prophecy of Zech 11 about the 30 pieces of silver, they made a point of making sure we all understood it.

Also, I dont think the length of time has much to do with it.

I am convenced that Jesus and Michael are two different people (i.e. the two staffs of Zech 11) and I think of all the people here, my interpretation makes the least amount of assumptions. It is the most straighforward and easy to understand and so far, not one person here has been able to find any contridiction in the entire bible for what I think. The best I have seen so far is people saying "well, I just dont believe it" but yet cannot offer anything to show I am wrong.

Thats Ok, since it is the way I expected it.

I was asked on another thread what I was trying to prove and I think it is simple. I realize that what I say cannot be accepted at this time, but the day will come when all the other interpretations fail and someone will remember what I have shown them. I can only hope that it does them some good.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi Josy,

I am convenced that Jesus and Michael are two different people

I could have made clear sooner, that I agree with you. But Michael is an angel, while Jesus Christ is the Son of God, fully man and fully God.

My own impression of your interpretation of the two staffs, is that it is too linear - although I see why you think 'Beauty' should be Christ. However, there are many very short phrases in prophecy, which can be separated from their context, such as John's lifting 'they shall look on him who they pierced' right out of the sentence in which it appears in Zechariah, thus indicating that prophecy as at least partly fulfilled.

The 'man' of Isa 4:1 may well not be Christ if he was alive in the aftermath of Judah's exile, but, he could also be a type of 'a man' with a pure heart, who gives covering to those who need it - which would be our Lord, our kinsman Redeemer.

Remember, while you are looking at prophecy, that God intends to destroy evil. He is waiting until it is ripe, and then He will pick it.

JosyWales

Oct 21, 2008
Orlando, Fl
Michael is an Angel but he will be made into a man, just as Jesus was and risk the life God gives him in the fight against the Beast. This is the crux of what I am trying to show you. I have started another thread about the difference between Michael and Jesus and will try to explain it more fully there, since this might not be the right thread to do that. You will find it in the Christian Eschatology Forum.

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
Well I may as well run some of this by you guys since I can speak from personal experience. I have had interest from 20 potential females and the quote made me laugh “First learn to live with two tigresses, and then expect to live happily with two wives.”sums up the mood swings pretty well. It is a pretty hard thing to be living with but haveing 19 other disappointed bitter girls is not easier. So I don't know maybe if it is the lesser of two evils I don't think it is that bad but it is a massive responsibility that found me I certainly wasn't going around looking. Still not fully committed because I don't think the Bible really approves of it and I don't feel it is justified. So if Jesus really wants me to turn down all of them that's what Ill do.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Well I may as well run some of this by you guys since I can speak from personal experience. I have had interest from 20 potential females and the quote made me laugh “First learn to live with two tigresses, and then expect to live happily with two wives.”sums up the mood swings pretty well. It is a pretty hard thing to be living with but haveing 19 other disappointed bitter girls is not easier. So I don't know maybe if it is the lesser of two evils I don't think it is that bad but it is a massive responsibility that found me I certainly wasn't going around looking. Still not fully committed because I don't think the Bible really approves of it and I don't feel it is justified. So if Jesus really wants me to turn down all of them that's what Ill do.

Would you care to elaborate just a tiny bit more?

Just exactly what don't you think the Bible approves, and what do you mean by 'turn down all of them'?

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
Would you care to elaborate just a tiny bit more?

Just exactly what don't you think the Bible approves, and what do you mean by 'turn down all of them'?

Well it started about 7 or 8 years ago I met this one girl claimed to be in love with me and wanted no one else I tried to ignore her but she was obsessed and almost conned me into marrying her with money status. Some wiser people convinced me to break that off immediately because there was better girls out there. So I took a quick look and it seemed like about twenty better girls appeared. Now they all wouldn't mind marrying me and having children, I wouldn't mind having kids someday either. Also the parents of these girls wouldn't mind grand kids either so now I have 20 women waiting to have a child with me. What I meant by turn down was to abandon this situation and refuse to do anything based on biblical principals obviously commiting adultry. I obviously would not get a marriage license for each woman as I would end up in jail. It's more of a trust thing that used to happen more frequently in the 1800's back when it was hard to find a healthy male to produce offspring with, where if you wait longer the child comes out better and it isn't so hard on everyone.

Also I have obviously prayed about this quite a bit and the answer seems to be that it isn't too uncommon for one male and multiple females to share in something like what I'm going through and to be very careful about what happens.

RobinD69

Oct 7, 2007
The problem with polygamy is that when you have sex ( fornication or adultery) you are married to that sexual partner and your previous partner would be considered a divorce. Now bare with me on this, Gods plan was for two to become one flesh, not three or four or a thousand, or even three thousand, two, a male and a female, one flesh in Gods eyes not mans.

So how many times have you been married and divorced?

My references are the woman at the well, the man becoming one flesh with the harlot, Adam and Eve, A man and woman leaving their parent and becoming one flesh.

Elle

Sep 27, 2012
I say "No", men were never condemned for having more than 1 wife. Kings on the other hand were not allowed to multiply wives, but were allowed to add wives. Solomon is an example of a king who multiplied wives, he married multiple pagan women. King David added wives by marrying inside his nation only. Here is an excellent source regarding the understanding of polygamy, divorce, remarriage, etc.. http://www.righteouswarriors.com/controversial/index.html

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi Comm.Arnold,

I'm still confused as to your situation. You said

What I meant by turn down was to abandon this situation and refuse to do anything based on biblical principals obviously commiting adultry. I obviously would not get a marriage license for each woman as I would end up in jail. It's more of a trust thing that used to happen more frequently in the 1800's back when it was hard to find a healthy male to produce offspring with, where if you wait longer the child comes out better and it isn't so hard on everyone.

Also I have obviously prayed about this quite a bit and the answer seems to be that it isn't too uncommon for one male and multiple females to share in something like what I'm going through and to be very careful about what happens.

The part I most don't understand in the above is, 'and refuse to do anything based on biblical principals obviously commiting adultry'.

First of all, you'd have to be married to one woman, before you could commit adultery against her (or she against you), and my impression is, you have not even decided whether you like any one of these women.... in which case, if none of them appeal to you, you should stop stringing them along, so they can all get on with their lives while you carry on praying, and looking for the helpmeet God has reserved for you.

Believe me, you will know when you've fallen in love. It is completely different from simply having admirers.

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
Hi Comm.Arnold,

I'm still confused as to your situation. You said

The part I most don't understand in the above is, 'and refuse to do anything based on biblical principals obviously commiting adultry'.

First of all, you'd have to be married to one woman, before you could commit adultery against her (or she against you), and my impression is, you have not even decided whether you like any one of these women.... in which case, if none of them appeal to you, you should stop stringing them along, so they can all get on with their lives while you carry on praying, and looking for the helpmeet God has reserved for you.

Believe me, you will know when you've fallen in love. It is completely different from simply having admirers.

I guess the ideal marriage that my parents have brought me up to belive in one woman one man for eternity. Honestly I have no idea how they are not divorced after 40 years they fight over absolutely smallest things all the time. Also some of the interest I recieve brings in a lot of negative attention and accusations, from bitter jealousy. I'm starting to realize it just seems worse than it actually is the wicked obviously want I have and will stop at nothing to take it when I actually separate it. It goes like this I have a nice time with one of the girls and then some stark raving pedophile demon possessed pile of waste comes into the scene blasting me with negative energy screaming in toungues and wicked schemes. Right now it feels like the only thing wrong with it is the jealousy of others a lot of women that wish they were good enough for me and for the kingdom.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi Comm Arnold,

Thanks for your reply.

I have to admit I'm still baffled.

Have you put this matter into God's hands, asking Him to bring your wife to you, or, to lead you to her?

Have you asked the Lord to prepare you for marriage? To give you an understanding about Godly marriage, from scripture?

Have you understood that you yourself are to be focused on God first, holding Him as your Head, so as to minister Him to your wife and children, becoming the kind of man his wife can easily 'reverence', justifying their trust in the judgment He gives you on their behalf?

The scripture saith not in vain, Proverbs 30:18, 19 There be three [things which] are too wonderful for me, yea, four which I know not: the way of an eagle in the air; the way of a serpent upon a rock; the way of a ship in the midst of the sea; and the way of a man with a maid.

When you have peace with God about His choice of spouse, you will know how to behave with her, and other women won't even know what's going on, if you are discreet in a godly way - for the sake of the woman God brings into your life to bless you as your wife.

Recommended listening are Paul Washer's presentations on dating (which he calls 'recreational dating'), husbands, wives, sons (Raising the Bar), godly women, and, Jim Logan's presentations on Husband as Spiritual Protector, wives, and also, spiritual dating. All are online.

If you don't understand these basics, or you refuse to grow into what is required of you by God, messy, messy will be your relationships.

From both the aforementioned speakers, the cross for both the man and the woman in marriage, is embraced; not avoided.