Prayer to Saint Uriel the Archangel

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I’ve not heard of this prayer before. It came up on my X / Twitter feed this morning. I asked my wife, who was raised Catholic, about it and she said she also had never heard of it.

”O Holy Angel St. Uriel, whose name means ‘God is my Light’ We pray that you will guide our thoughts and actions with the Light of Christ. We ask that you guard and protect us against all the attacks of Satan Who has tempted man since the Garden of Eden. May you and all the choirs of Angels intercede for us before the Most Holy Trinity That we may receive mercy and eternal life in heaven, We ask this through Christ our Lord, Amen.”

(Fr. Chris Vorderbruggen)

Curious about it, I looked for information on the EWTN website.

“The New Age and the esoteric currents accompanying it brought a renewed interest in angels.

However, there is a dangerous tendency to request the intercession of angelic spirits not in the Bible, as in the case of Uriel.

On the EWTN show Scripture and Tradition, host Father Mitch Pacwa answers a question about requesting the intercession of the supposed archangel Uriel.

Priest Explains What Every Catholic Should Know About Archangel Uriel

’We know of Uriel from an apocryphal book. We do not accept this book - the fourth book of Esdras - this is not a book that is in the Bible,’ - Father Mitch Pacwa.

’As such, ‘ he continues, ‘nothing from Revelation is known for sure. And so, we do not accept [the fourth book of Esdras.]’

The priest adds that Catholics ‘do not name angels and do not take angels who are not mentioned in Scripture.’

It is good for us to stay with what God has given us - with what the Holy Spirit has inspired in the writings of Sacred Scripture, and we just do not know about the inspiration of these other books like Esdras.’

So we will stick with the angels we do know - St. Raphael, St. Gabriel, and St. Michael.

However, he says if we desire to pray to an angel, he encourages the St. Michael prayer.

’Unlike Uriel, who was told we can’t seek his his intercession, Pope Leo XIII urged us - especially at this time when there is much evil - to seek the intercession of St. Michael the Archangel. Use that prayer and do so with great confidence.’”

Does any member of Christianity Board pray to St. Uriel the Archangel? If so, I would be interested in hearing their thoughts about it.

Also, I’ve met a few Protestants who have said that they sometimes pray or talk to angels. Are there any Protestants on this forum who do? If so, I would be interested in hearing what they have to say about this topic.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Angels and Saints are prayed to because Jesus is not trusted and not known.
This ought be a wake up call for any serious thinker!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Why not just pray to God in Jesus'name?

This is going back a long way, and doesn’t have anything directly to do with praying to St. Uriel, but I asked a friend of mine in high school who was Catholic why he prayed to saints. He asked me if I had ever asked someone to pray for me. When I said that I had he asked me what the difference is between me asking someone to pray for me and him asking someone (a saint, at that) to pray for him.

I told him that I didn’t pray to people to ask them to pray for me. He said prayer is just talking to someone. He asked me if I ever prayed to Jesus. When I said no he said I should ask Jesus to pray for me sometime.

Right after that we ate lunch and (probably) talked about sports.

P.S.

Do you ever pray to Jesus in lieu of praying to God in his name?

Last edited:

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why not do as Peter did? And if that does not work take them by the right hand and lift them up!

6 Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.
7 And he took him by the right hand, and lifted him up: and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength. - Acts 3

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is going back a long way, and doesn’t have anything directly to do with praying to St. Uriel, but I asked a friend of mine in high school who was Catholic why he prayed to saints. He asked me if I had ever asked someone to pray for me. When I said that I had he asked me what the difference is between me asking someone to pray for me and him asking someone (a saint, at that) to pray for him.

I told him that I didn’t pray to people to ask them to pray for me. He said prayer is just talking to someone. He asked me if I ever prayed to Jesus. When I said no he said I should ask Jesus to pray for me sometime.

Right after that we ate lunch and (probably) talked about sports.

P.S.

Do you ever pray to Jesus in lieu of praying to God in his name?
sure!

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Bible says that Jesus is our Intercessor.
Yes...our only Mediator. (1 Tim 2:5-6) So what is his role then?
According to Strongs, a mediator is...
  1. one who intervenes between two, either in order to make or restore peace and friendship, or form a compact, or for ratifying a covenant
  2. a medium of communication, arbitrator”.

So he is the bridge between God and man.....the one who communicates between the two parties.....bringing them together.
There are no saints to pray to....to pray for us....there is only prayer to “our Father who art in heaven” and all prayer is to be directed to God “through” the channel that he provided....his appointed mediator.

Reactions: TheHC