put on your spiritual armor

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For the record, my original statement about the consensus here didn't include me. If that's not already obvious.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you explain what quenching the spirit is? I've never been exposed to that idea.

If God's people or if we or you or I, humble ourselves to Him completely and continuously...? Then, we will stop quenching the Spirit?

"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land." II Chron 7:14

Jesus tells of two sent from God with seemingly very different ways, who apparently received similar treatment:

"For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine; and ye say, He hath a devil.

The Son of man is come eating and drinking; and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners!" Luke 7:33-34

Where is that Golden rule about which we hear and of which Jesus spoke?

“Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.” Matt 7:12

When the Spirit, the Holy Spirit that is, is running the show in us, we will Not quench the Spirit and go against that Golden Rule. How many Christians have you seen living always by that rule? Have you or have I lived always by that rule? When we have not then if we had the Holy Spirit in us, then we were calling the shots again instead of Him, thereby quenching the Spirit of God!

Either way that you come, like John the Baptist or like the son of man, as God advises, it will very likely get you into hot water here among carnal men. Is there a solution to the apparently reigning lack of Christian-like discussion on this forum and in our own offnet places in man's society?

No one wants to be a doormat is what is sometimes said, but neither does Jesus expect that from us. But... is it really necessary to be hostile, derisive and merciless and demonic to avoid being a doormat? I certainly hope not! Simply do not quench the Spirit within you!

Is it necessary to bite your tongue when the words it wishes to form would offend God as well as men? Perhaps, yes...

"But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.

Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.

Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be." James 3:8-10

Ought not to be so, but we too often are...

And what has happened to this?

"And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance." Acts 2:4

Do these offenders claim to have been filled with the Holy Ghost? If they have then maybe, just maybe, someone is quenching instead of letting that Spirit give them utterance?

"Quench not the Spirit." I Thess 5:19

The power was promised:

"But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth." Acts 1:8

And the power was given:

"And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance." Acts 2:4

But... when we quench/stifle instead of allow the Spirit to give utterance, what else might we expect?

Who controls our tongue and our hands and our feet? Does God... or do we? Is the old man who wants so bad to sin again allowed to lead us when we quench the Holy Spirit? I would say, 'Without a doubt'!

What to do?

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened." Matt 7:7-8

Our God really is able!

Last edited:

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know, I use the sword too. (The word of God in the passage.) Along with the belt of trust. That’s pretty much my every day. It’ll be like…oh my gosh, I’m so dang poor I’ll be living under a bridge when I’m not able to work any more. And when I was in complete trust and peace and a thought like that suddenly comes, I begin to make the first motions toward fear, despair, worry, anxiousness, but then I realize, wait a minute,that thought didn’t even come from me, it’s a fiery dart. I was perfectly fine resting in trust a minute ago! So I’ll do warfare like…Shut up, you won’t get me to worry, I trust God and He says seek Him first and what I need will be added to me, so you can shut up, thank you very much!

So that’s the shield/trust and the sword/word. I use them together a lot.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know, I use the sword too. (The word of God in the passage.) Along with the belt of trust. That’s pretty much my every day. It’ll be like…oh my gosh, I’m so dang poor I’ll be living under a bridge when I’m not able to work any more. And when I was in complete trust and peace and a thought like that suddenly comes, I begin to make the first motions toward fear, despair, worry, anxiousness, but then I realize, wait a minute,that thought didn’t even come from me, it’s a fiery dart. I was perfectly fine resting in trust a minute ago! So I’ll do warfare like…Shut up, you won’t get me to worry, I trust God and He says seek Him first and what I need will be added to me, so you can shut up, thank you very much!

So that’s the shield/trust and the sword/word. I use them together a lot.
With the devil and his temptations there is a passage regarding Michael the Arch Angel:

Jude 1:9
“Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.”

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
With the devil and his temptations there is a passage regarding Michael the Arch Angel:

Jude 1:9
“Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.”

Yeah…that’s what it’s like. It’s using Gods word along with trusting His word, to rebuke him and his fiery darts. Like, nope, not listening to you, God says such and such and I believe what He says, no matter how it looks.

Last edited:
Reactions: dev553344

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'd say 51% is a pretty fair estimate of those who subscribe to OSAS here.
Really? How many people is that? Since the first of this year, I have counted over 200 different members who have posted on this forum. That would mean over 100 taking hold of OSAS. But... does that affect one way or the other what the Truth is?

"Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it." Matt 7:13-14

I've never gotten much agreement out of you on anything since I arrived here.

Don't expect it today either.
I do strive to always agree with God. Shouldn't we all? I believe that God's Word is true and does not change. Can we agree on that?

You habitually don't agree with my views, but you also don't agree that you don't agree with my views.

Hmmm. Seeing a pattern here?
What I see is a vision so as not to perish. There is a pattern in the vision, but who can see it clearly now? Am I able to change my vision to agree with yours? Should I, simply in order to be in agreement with you?

"Where there is no vision, the people perish:" Prov 29:18

"For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." I Cor 13:12

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And what happens if our hearts are exposed to the wiles of the devil?

What is the ultimate outcome of that danger?
Our choice! If we always stay on the Lord's side allowing Him to lead us there is no danger. People, who quench the Spirit, put themselves in danger. Unfortunately, most church groups teach people to quench the Spirit when they insist upon preprepared their prepared sermons and established orders of service instead of allowing the Holy Spirit to lead. They choose to put themselves back where Jeremiah told carnal men that they were. With the Holy Spirit it need not be, but men have quite often been foolish in their choices following their own heads instead of God, starting in Eden. God sent His Son so that we would have a Head, but how many people allow Jesus to lead them all of the time?

"O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps" Jerem. 10:23

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our choice! If we always stay on the Lord's side allowing Him to lead us there is no danger. People, who quench the Spirit, put themselves in danger. Unfortunately, most church groups teach people to quench the Spirit when they insist upon preprepared their prepared sermons and established orders of service instead of allowing the Holy Spirit to lead. They choose to put themselves back where Jeremiah told carnal men that they were. With the Holy Spirit it need not be, but men have quite often been foolish in their choices following their own heads instead of God, starting in Eden. God sent His Son so that we would have a Head, but how many people allow Jesus to lead them all of the time?

"O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps" Jerem. 10:23
You sound like a politician. And you dodged the question.

What is the ultimate outcome of the devil having his way with us? What if we don't put on the Armor of God and the devil gets a hold of us?

Lots of warnings in God's Word 'for Christians' about how dangerous the devil is and how vigilant we should be to avoid his wiles and his attacks. What happens if we don't heed any of this and he gets full access to us? What is the final outcome?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You sound like a politician. And you dodged the question.
Did I? Perhaps it is difficult for me to understand your understanding or is it vice versa?
What is the ultimate outcome of the devil having his way with us? What if we don't put on the Armor of God and the devil gets a hold of us?
How about death? But see what I wrote further down...
Lots of warnings in God's Word 'for Christians' about how dangerous the devil is and how vigilant we should be to avoid his wiles and his attacks. What happens if we don't heed any of this and he gets full access to us? What is the final outcome?
I believe God. What is written?

Does the devil decide or put into effect our fate or punishment or curse when and if we might go astray from God?

For your benefit some more definite statements as it is written:

"The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth." Matt 13:41-42

"Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth." Matt 22:13

"Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:" Matt 25:41

Those are some of the warnings, but why should we pursue knowledge of such things instead of pursuing first things first as Jesus advised?

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matt 6:33

Will having accurate knowledge about any curses or punishments keep them from coming upon us? On the other hand, will having accurate knowledge about any blessings or rewards make certain that they are ours?

What is more important than knowledge?

"And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity [Love], I am nothing." I Cor 13:2

Reactions: Lambano

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did I? Perhaps it is difficult for me to understand your understanding or is it vice versa?

How about death? But see what I wrote further down...

I believe God. What is written?

Does the devil decide or put into effect our fate or punishment or curse when and if we might go astray from God?

For your benefit some more definite statements as it is written:

"The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth." Matt 13:41-42

"Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth." Matt 22:13

"Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:" Matt 25:41

Those are some of the warnings, but why should we pursue knowledge of such things instead of pursuing first things first as Jesus advised?

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matt 6:33

Will having accurate knowledge about any curses or punishments keep them from coming upon us? On the other hand, will having accurate knowledge about any blessings or rewards make certain that they are ours?

What is more important than knowledge?

"And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity [Love], I am nothing." I Cor 13:2
"Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour."
1 Peter 5:8

If we don't put on the full armor of God, as Christians, the devil will devour us.

"The thief (devil) cometh ... to kill, and to destroy: ..."
John 10:10

If we don't put on the armor of God, the devil will destroy us.

What is the ultimate outcome of us, what becomes of us, if we are devoured or destroyed?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour."
1 Peter 5:8

If we don't put on the full armor of God, as Christians, the devil will devour us.

"The thief (devil) cometh ... to kill, and to destroy: ..."
John 10:10

If we don't put on the armor of God, the devil will destroy us.

What is the ultimate outcome of us, what becomes of us, if we are devoured or destroyed?
In that negative extreme, we would be gone. The little world of me, the old man of flesh and my own fleshly ways would be gone:

"And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof..." I John 2:17

If there is a new man when that old man with his world passes away, then...

"...but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever." I John 2:17

These things are what I see. I cannot speak for everyone else and then again... how close am I to having the whole answer which God has? Am I wrong in any point? Does any man have it all right?

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In that negative extreme, we would be gone. The little world of me, the old man of flesh and my own fleshly ways would be gone:
And now you can go forth preaching the Truth of the Bible, as so few here do.

Eternal Security is not Biblical.

If Christians don't put on the Full Armor of God, and live as Christ lived in the flesh, we can be forever lost.

Little like pulling teeth, but we finally got there. :)

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And now you can go forth preaching the Truth of the Bible, as so few here do.
And... so few of those here are really wanting to listen. So many also apparently, want their ears tickled assuring them that God loves them so much that they cannot be lost. Do they really understand what God's love is?
Eternal Security is not Biblical.
Yes, but when a man only sees what he wants to see, then he walks forward in delusion. How many are prepared to go the way that Jesus went at Calvary? How many are prepared to keep on talking about the glory of God as they are being stoned to death like Stephen?

My 'old man' still at times presses me to acknowledge my weariness in well doing, but the 'new man' of me refuses to quit. How lonely at times must Jeremiah have felt when he spoke and wrote what God told him, but the people would not accept anything which opposed what they wanted in this world. Over the years I have struggled on this forum and in other places fighting repeatedly some of the same battles. If God did not show me a little Light shining in others from time to time, would I be preparing myself in full armor, of course, for yet another battle? Well... I will not quit.

Are the children of God citizens first of His kingdom or the kingdom of mammon?
Does money or country ever come first before God?
If Christians don't put on the Full Armor of God, and live as Christ lived in the flesh, we can be forever lost.

Little like pulling teeth, but we finally got there. :)
At times in my mind the idea of dying physically to get away from battles has started to appeal to something in me. I used to express it openly to my wife and she rightly rebuked for it. I knew better and I know better. God will be finished with me according to His will... not mine!

Give God the glory!

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And... so few of those here are really wanting to listen. So many also apparently, want their ears tickled assuring them that God loves them so much that they cannot be lost. Do they really understand what God's love is?

Yes, but when a man only sees what he wants to see, then he walks forward in delusion. How many are prepared to go the way that Jesus went at Calvary? How many are prepared to keep on talking about the glory of God as they are being stoned to death like Stephen?

My 'old man' still at times presses me to acknowledge my weariness in well doing, but the 'new man' of me refuses to quit. How lonely at times must Jeremiah have felt when he spoke and wrote what God told him, but the people would not accept anything which opposed what they wanted in this world. Over the years I have struggled on this forum and in other places fighting repeatedly some of the same battles. If God did not show me a little Light shining in others from time to time, would I be preparing myself in full armor, of course, for yet another battle? Well... I will not quit.

Are the children of God citizens first of His kingdom or the kingdom of mammon?
Does money or country ever come first before God?

At times in my mind the idea of dying physically to get away from battles has started to appeal to something in me. I used to express it openly to my wife and she rightly rebuked for it. I knew better and I know better. God will be finished with me according to His will... not mine!

Give God the glory!
Nice post, but if Christians were taught the Truth of scripture from the beginning, a lot of what you propose wouldn't be an issue. You seem to put the issue on human nature, but that's really not the problem. We wrestle not against flesh and blood. And it's not just our flesh and blood that is in danger from the enemy.

If everyone who attended a church, or watched a big name TV Pastor, or listened to Christian radio, was to hear the Truth of the Bible preached to them from the get-go, we wouldn't have such a rampant issue of those seeking ear-tickling and seeking teachers who teach them what they want to hear. If there wasn't so much New Age doctrine mixed in with modern church teaching, Christianity wouldn't attract those who embrace such concepts and be so interspersed with those who only believe in 'A' god, but not THE God of the Bible. There are many surveys available that show that most Christians today don't even believe in the God of the Bible. There is a different god being preached everywhere and the masses embrace that god. It is not Jesus Christ.

The problem is the widespread corruption of Christendom. If those who attend seminaries, and who get hired to lead churches, teaching/preaching, etc., would diligently search the scriptures, seeking God with all their heart, they would overcome the darkness that has invaded Christianity and we wouldn't have the problems we have today.

Men see what they want and walk forward in delusion when they've been taught falsehood and latched onto it. When people are given the direct impression that it's perfectly ok to go to church occasionally and live their lives any old way they want and they'll be welcomed into heaven with open arms, we end up with countless Christian organizations, churches, chat forums, etc. that are filled with those who embrace falsehood and lies - and fight hard for it. The lies from the pit of hell have attracted the wrong kinds of people to Christendom. Churches are filled with those who live in habitual sin and they are taught that it's perfectly ok.

The Bible tells us that in the last days, Christians will be killed by those who truly believe they are serving God Almighty. That time is very near. And though people like myself who strive diligently, day and night, to call out the falsehood and correct the lies are seen as troublemakers and outcasts in all those arenas, what we are doing is badly needed. The Light that we bring is being extinguished more and more each day.

Though we know that it is inevitable that the darkness will overcome and He who lets will eventually be out of the way, it is worth every discomfort and stigma we endure to possibly bring one single soul to the Truth of Jesus Christ for the sake of the Kingdom. Thus, we press on.

Eternal security is a very popular lie.

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nice post, but if Christians were taught the Truth of scripture from the beginning, a lot of what you propose wouldn't be an issue. You seem to put the issue on human nature, but that's really not the problem. We wrestle not against flesh and blood. And it's not just our flesh and blood that is in danger from the enemy.

If everyone who attended a church, or watched a big name TV Pastor, or listened to Christian radio, was to hear the Truth of the Bible preached to them from the get-go, we wouldn't have such a rampant issue of those seeking ear-tickling and seeking teachers who teach them what they want to hear. If there wasn't so much New Age doctrine mixed in with modern church teaching, Christianity wouldn't attract those who embrace such concepts and be so interspersed with those who only believe in 'A' god, but not THE God of the Bible. There are many surveys available that show that most Christians today don't even believe in the God of the Bible. There is a different god being preached everywhere and the masses embrace that god. It is not Jesus Christ.

The problem is the widespread corruption of Christendom. If those who attend seminaries, and who get hired to lead churches, teaching/preaching, etc., would diligently search the scriptures, seeking God with all their heart, they would overcome the darkness that has invaded Christianity and we wouldn't have the problems we have today.

Men see what they want and walk forward in delusion when they've been taught falsehood and latched onto it. When people are given the direct impression that it's perfectly ok to go to church occasionally and live their lives any old way they want and they'll be welcomed into heaven with open arms, we end up with countless Christian organizations, churches, chat forums, etc. that are filled with those who embrace falsehood and lies - and fight hard for it. The lies from the pit of hell have attracted the wrong kinds of people to Christendom. Churches are filled with those who live in habitual sin and they are taught that it's perfectly ok.

The Bible tells us that in the last days, Christians will be killed by those who truly believe they are serving God Almighty. That time is very near. And though people like myself who strive diligently, day and night, to call out the falsehood and correct the lies are seen as troublemakers and outcasts in all those arenas, what we are doing is badly needed. The Light that we bring is being extinguished more and more each day.

Though we know that it is inevitable that the darkness will overcome and He who lets will eventually be out of the way, it is worth every discomfort and stigma we endure to possibly bring one single soul to the Truth of Jesus Christ for the sake of the Kingdom. Thus, we press on.

Eternal security is a very popular lie.
You see the problems, and you also see a solution to those problems. A bigger problem perhaps is how to implement the solution.

If we were given one man with the strength and meekness of Moses, could he accomplish what is needed? It brings to mind the following verses in Ezekiel:

"Son of man, when the land sinneth against me by trespassing grievously, then will I stretch out mine hand upon it, and will break the staff of the bread thereof, and will send famine upon it, and will cut off man and beast from it:
Though these three men, Noah, Daniel, and Job, were in it, they should deliver but their own souls by their righteousness, saith the Lord GOD." Ezekiel 14:13-14

Then again, of course, even with Moses leading them: The natural children of Israel led out of the bondage of Egypt, in spite of miracles performed, all but two, would die in the wilderness never to dwell in the Promised Land.

Now with Jesus and the Holy Spirit and written Bibles printed in dozens of languages readily available to people able to read, what do we lack?

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You see the problems, and you also see a solution to those problems. A bigger problem perhaps is how to implement the solution.

If we were given one man with the strength and meekness of Moses, could he accomplish what is needed? It brings to mind the following verses in Ezekiel:

"Son of man, when the land sinneth against me by trespassing grievously, then will I stretch out mine hand upon it, and will break the staff of the bread thereof, and will send famine upon it, and will cut off man and beast from it:
Though these three men, Noah, Daniel, and Job, were in it, they should deliver but their own souls by their righteousness, saith the Lord GOD." Ezekiel 14:13-14

Then again, of course, even with Moses leading them: The natural children of Israel led out of the bondage of Egypt, in spite of miracles performed, all but two, would die in the wilderness never to dwell in the Promised Land.

Now with Jesus and the Holy Spirit and written Bibles printed in dozens of languages readily available to people able to read, what do we lack?
I think rather than one man, perfectly equipped, God's plan was to send many, few and far between, into the darkness to be many pinpoints of light - like the stars in the night sky.

He struck the Shepherd so as to scatter the sheep; not just to create challenge and hardship for those who follow Christ to suffer as He did, but to attack the enemy in such a way as to be less detected and more effective from many positions. Like a small measure of leaven will work its way into the entire lump of dough, small injections of Truth and Light into many locations can do more than a single concentrated injection can from head-on.
Zechariah 13:7
Matthew 26:31

Daniel tells us the God of Heaven set up a kingdom which shall never be destroyed. That it broke into pieces and will consume all the other kingdoms. And that it shall stand forever.
Daniel 2:44

God always liked an unfair fight. Like the 300 men of Gideon against 135,000 Midianites, God sends His sheep alone into the fray. They must be able to stand on their own against evil; and they must walk this world alone - with the Spirit of Christ as their guide and the Word of God as their Sword.

We lack nothing, but God's plan is not for all darkness to be defeated before Christ's return. In fact, it is the very gathering of the darkness, of those who loveth and maketh a lie, that will bring all wickedness together for the final battle against the Light. That will put all of them right where God wants them. Contrary to what we would like to see happen, God is not only content with evil gravitating to itself and growing in number, but it is exactly His plan.
Revelation 22:11

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus