QUESTION 1 for YOU - IF YOU BELIEVE JESUS is GOD

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

kjw47

Feb 18, 2014
shturt678 said:
Coll 1:15--- the firstborn of all creation---
Col.1:15, "He who was the image of God,..." The Scriptures freely name Christ according to His Person, according to one or the other or both natures, and, no matter how He is named, predicate of Him divine or human things. This is due to the personal UNION of the two natures, a UNION that involves the communication of the divine attributes to the human nature. This Person is ever the eternal Son of God.

Old poor intellectually Jack that realizes this is beyond human conception

rev 3:14-- the beginning of creation by God.-- proverbs 8 is all about Jesus--Gods master worker.
Jesus( mortal) is lower than angels.

The image is never the real thing-- its trinity translation error that has caused the confusion. One must listen to Jesus. Trinity translations contradict him--the NWT put it back in harmony. There is no denying--Jesus has a God just like us--his Father-John 20:17, rev 3:12--- believe Jesus.
Again Jesus teaches John 17:1-6 that the one who sent him( Father-John 5:30)= THE ONLY TRUE GOD--- verse 6 = YHWH(Jehovah) and that one must know him and know Jesus to get eternal life---believe Jesus
The Lords prayer--Hallowed be thy( Father) name( YHWH(Jehovah) --last line--the kingdom, power and glory all belong to the Father( YHWH(Jehovah)--- believe Jesus.

And believe this-- 1 Corinthians 15:24-28--- Upon handing back the kingdom to his( Jesus)-- God and Father, he will be in subjection.

every teaching there contradicts trinity teaching.

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
kjw47 said:
The image is never the real thing-- its trinity translation error that has caused the confusion. One must listen to Jesus. Trinity translations contradict him--the NWT put it back in harmony. There is no denying--Jesus has a God just like us--his Father-John 20:17, rev 3:12--- believe Jesus.
Again Jesus teaches John 17:1-6 that the one who sent him( Father-John 5:30)= THE ONLY TRUE GOD--- verse 6 = YHWH(Jehovah) and that one must know him and know Jesus to get eternal life---believe Jesus
The Lords prayer--Hallowed be thy( Father) name( YHWH(Jehovah) --last line--the kingdom, power and glory all belong to the Father( YHWH(Jehovah)--- believe Jesus.

And believe this-- 1 Corinthians 15:24-28--- Upon handing back the kingdom to his( Jesus)-- God and Father, he will be in subjection.

Yes I pasted this one of thousands online about jw's. There is no freedom here, just doing what some ordinary man claims is the truth...total misleading of God's word.
KJW47..with all respect....why can't you see this.....why is it so hard to see what you are being taught and have been taught is only by what some other has been taught.total man's teaching.nothing but interpretations :)

Ten Things You Didn’t Know about Jehovah’s Witnesses.
By Adam Bourque on July 6th, 2012
Isaac J. Harris is an atheist and skeptic blogger. He is an ex Jehovah’s Witness and has graciously agreed to write us a series guest posts about them. You can read more of Issac’s work at his site, The Atheist Geek News. If you would like to become a guest blogger, let us what you would like to say at our Contact Us page.
——————————————————————
10 Things You Don’t Know About Jehovah’s Witnesses
by Isaac J. Harris, The Atheist Geek
In the aftermath of several recent stories about Jehovah’s Witnesses, including the Candace Conti pedophilia court case and the DVD that launched the Sparlock Meme, I have been invited to do a series of articles about Jehovah’s Witnesses. I was a Witness myself for about six years and have been married to one for more than sixteen years. I am now a skeptical atheist with Witness in-laws (Everybody say it with me in their best Everybody Loves Raymond voice, “Thaaaat’s right!”) and very active in the ex-Jehovah’s Witness community.
Fair warning: so long as the Michigan Skeptics Association has articles about Jehovah’s Witnesses on its website, it’s very likely that Witnesses will come here and try to debunk any unflattering claims I make. It happens on ex-Witness sites across the web, and I doubt this site will escape their notice forever. Which brings me to the reason there are so many links on the page. By posting links to their own web site (and a few others) to support my claims, you will be able to see for yourselves that everything you read here is true.
And now, here are ten things you don’t know about Jehovah’s Witnesses.

10: Jehovah’s Witnesses Don’t Believe In The Trinity.
Jehovah’s Witnesses can be described as Arian, or at least Semi-Arian, in their view of God, Jesus, and holy spirit. But don’t panic: being Arian or Semi-Arian doesn’t have anything to do with the Nazis. That’s an entirely different sort of Arian.
Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that the holy spirit is actually God’s “active force,” or energy, not a person as Trinitarians might see it. It’s also something that doesn’t get capitalized in their literature, which is why I’m not capitalizing it here.

Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that Jesus is also a separate person from God, though he could be called a god in his own right. According to Jehovah’s Witnesses, God only made one thing on his own: Michael the Archangel! You thought I was going to say Jesus, didn’t you? Note that there is only one archangel in their pantheon of angels and his name is Mike. Michael the Archangel made everything else in creation, from heaven to Earth, in accordance with God’s plan. Even the angels were made by Michael. Later, Michael was sent to Earth and became Jesus. (Tada!) So while Jesus is awesome and everything (duh) his father is even more awesome in the eyes of Jehovah’s Witnesses.
Jehovah God, as you may have guessed, is still the same big man he is to all other denominations of Christianity.

9: Jehovah’s Witnesses Don’t Believe In A Literal Hell
This may surprise some of you. I mean, how do they whip everybody into compliance with their rules if they don’t believe in a literal Hell? I’ll answer that one later. (Hint: it rhymes with Armageddon.) For now, just understand that whenever your Bible talks about Hell, Jehovah’s Witnesses say it’s really talking about something else, like the grave. Note that their Bible, the New World Translation, doesn’t use the word hell. It simply uses the original words in the biblical manuscripts, like Sheol or Gehenna, without bothering to translate them into English. So, to Jehovah’s Witnesses, when most of us die, we simply…well…die. At least until we’re resurrected. That means that red heads aren’t so different from the rest of us in the world of Jehovah’s Witnesses. To them, none of us has a soul. Not even blonds, so stop asking me.

8: Only 144,000 Jehovah’s Witnesses Go To Heaven
In case you’re wondering, there are actually about seven million baptized Jehovah’s Witnesses worldwide right now. You may have noticed that this is a lot more than a 144,000 people. This may sound like a problem, but they’re not sweating it. Most Witnesses aren’t looking forward to any sort of heavenly afterlife at all.
Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that only the anointed Witnesses (who are also called the “Hundred-and-Forty-Four Thousand,” or “the Faithful and Discrete Slave class”) will go to Heaven to rule at Jesus’ side. They will become “spirit creatures” in heaven, similar to the angels. In theory, it’s the still-living anointed “slave class” that has been delegated authority to run God’s earthly organization, The Watchtower Society. By the way, whenever you hear Witnesses or ex-Witnesses talking about “the Society,” they’re really talking about the Watchtower Society I just mentioned.
So how do you know if you’re one of the anointed? Well, you just know is all! There is no litmus test per se. Note that there have been way more than a 144,000 Witnesses claiming to be anointed already and Armageddon isn’t even here yet! Apparently more than a few anointed were mistaken about being part of the Faithful and Discrete Slave. Of course, faking it could get you kicked out of any sort of paradise, so it’s not a smart move.

7: For Most Witnesses, Paradise Means An Eternity Spent On Earth
Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that the Earth will be restored to a paradise after Armageddon and that the human race will be “perfected.” All of this will take place over a thousand year period because we, as human beings, are just plain awful. The task of perfecting us will be overseen by Jesus and the anointed. Once that’s complete, Jesus will hand the Earth and its inhabitants back over to Jehovah God’s ruler-ship.
So what does it mean to be perfect? They say we’ll be made young and healthy forever. But what happens if you slip on a banana and get sucked into a wood chipper? No one really knows. I always assumed that perfect human beings would have regenerative powers like Wolverine from the X-Men. Honestly, your guess is as good as anybody’s.

6: Armageddon’s Coming, Mister! Or Maam
As stated earlier, Jehovah’s Witnesses don’t believe that bad people go to Hell when they die. Witnesses believe that the dead are unconscious, so threatening one of them with eternal hellfire isn’t really going to motivate him much. But many Witnesses will cringe at the mention of Armageddon.
Witnesses believe that Armageddon could strike at any second. Maybe now. Or even now!!! Oh, so close. When it does, only good Jehovah’s Witnesses will survive. Unless you’re one of them, it doesn’t matter if you’ve been a good person or not. Jesus will smite ye! Yet being a Witness doesn’t guarantee that you’ll survive Armageddon either. You have to be an upstanding member of the religion. Remember, Jesus sees all and knows all. Even what’s in your mind. That’s why I try to keep my thoughts as dirty as possible; he can only take so much depravity. That keeps my thoughts nice and private.
If you are killed during Armageddon, that’s it for you. You’re dead and gone for good. Like the people of Noah’s day, it’s assumed that the world will be a raving cesspool of wickedness by that point and that every non-Witness alive will be deserving of death. If you died before Armageddon, however, then you will probably be resurrected and reeducated by Armageddon survivors during Christ’s Millennial Reign (the thousand year period I mentioned earlier). In other words, Witnesses who survive into the Millennial Reign will teach the truth (their religion) to those who are resurrected. If resurrected ones reject these teachings, then they die all over again and that will be it for them too. Hey, that’s how free will works people! Take it or else.

5: Jehovah’s Witnesses Believe That Other Religions Are Demonically Inspired
Jehovah’s Witnesses generally see other religions as an affront to God. Many (or all) other religions are thought to have demonic origins. Some Witnesses even believe that pagan deities, like Thor and Zeus, were actually invented by fallen angels. The point is that other religions are generally out there to mislead people and to draw them away from God’s one, true religion. Note that the word “Christendom” is often defined as “the Christian world,” but Witness literature uses it to refer to “false Christianity” instead. Any religion other than their own which calls itself Christian is a part of Christedom.
As you might have guessed by now, Jehovah’s Witnesses don’t do interfaith very well. Or at all, really. In fact, even stepping inside a religious building like a church or a Mosque can get you in trouble if you’re a Witness. So can a lot of other things, but we’ll talk about that another time.

4: World Governments Are Under Demonic Control
Satan is the ruler of the world and it’s governments, so Jehovah’s Witnesses are not allowed to directly participate in politics or to serve in the military. Doing so would be like joining Satan himself. That means Jehovah’s Witnesses don’t vote, will always find you innocent if they’re forced to serve in a jury (good to know), and view world governments as nothing more than a necessary evil until the beginning of Christ’s Millennial Reign. All armies and human governments will be destroyed during Armageddon, so you don’t want to be a part of them when the big A hits…unless you’re a worldly person. In which case, you’re toast anyway.

3: All Non-Witnesses Are Part Of Satan’s World
I suppose I could have narrowed these last three into a single heading called, “Trust No One!” But these points each deserve their own explanation.
Jehovah’s Witnesses are strongly discouraged from forming strong ties to non-Witnesses, who are also referred to as nonbelievers or as “worldly people.” This is because we worldly types are all part of Satan’s world, or “This System of Things.” That’s right my friends. Whether you know it or not, you are Satan’s unwitting pawn. To Jehovah’s Witnesses, letting a worldly person into their lives represents a threat to their spirituality. Satan could use us to corrupt them, so all worldly people (or all non-Witnesses) are generally assumed to be “bad associates.”
Don’t get me wrong. Witnesses are more than happy to convert us. But if a Witness invites you over to his house, it probably isn’t for the company. Expect to leave with a few magazines or at least a tract before you go.

3: Jehovah’s Witnesses Practice Disfellowshipping (Shunning)
You can think of disfellowshipping as a severe dose of excommunication with a dose of the cold shoulder treatment thrown on top. If a Witness is disfellowshipped, he not only sacrifices any hope of living forever in a paradise Earth, he is also cut off from any form of communication with anyone who is still one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Even if they are members of his own family. Any Witness who violates this rule by talking or eating with a disfellowshipped person runs the risk of being disfellowshipped himself.
Of course, some families do break this rule from time to time. But it’s rarely a good thing for an ex-Witness when they do. Many Witnesses only do it so they can tell their disfellowshipped relatives how disappointed they are in them. When a Witness breaks protocol to communicate with a loved one who has been disfellowshipped, it usually happens in the form of a letter or an email. Note that some congregations are more liberal than others and will allow some face time if the Witness gets permission from his elders. But make no mistake, disfellowshipping is a very powerful way of keeping Witnesses who lose faith in the Society’s teachings in check.
I want to stress that disfellowshipping is a huge issue, one that people sometimes underestimate. Many ex-Witnesses have been emotionally devastated by it. In fact, many ex-Witnesses pretend that they still believe in “the truth” (what Jehovah’s Witnesses call their religion and their community) just to avoid being disfellowshipped. That alone should tell you something about the power it holds over them.

2: Women Who Are Jehovah’s Witnesses Are Always In Subjugation To Men
Like everyone else at your closest Kingdom Hall, women are in subjugation to congregation elders (who are always male) and to their own fathers until the day they move our or get married. (I mean when the women get married, not the fathers.) Even then, they are forever in subjugation to their husbands and are to obey him out of respect for Jehovah’s arrangements and their husband’s “headship” over the family. If a woman is required to take on a responsibility that only a male is normally allowed to carry out, she must wear a head covering. Any head covering, even a book held on top of her head, will do.
Women are not allowed to directly teach, or instruct, from the podium at any Kingdom Hall unless no suitable males can be found. They are allowed to instruct by example, however. Congregation sisters will perform a hypothetical scenario in front of the congregation, sort of like a play. For instance, one sister might pretend to be a householder while another pretends to be a Witness trying to place a magazine with the householder; this serves as an example so others can see how it’s done. It reminds me of my days as a salesman, where management would force us to act out different scenarios at sales meetings. We hated it, but it’s generally regarded as a privilege to perform in front of an audience at a Kingdom Hall if you’re one of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

1: The Light Gets Brighter As The End Draws Near
In theory, Jehovah’s Witnesses are led by Jesus Christ, who has been delegated authority to lead them by Jehovah God. In practice, they’re really led by a bunch of old guys from a place called Bethel, which is currently in New York. These old guys are called the governing body, and their authority was delegated to them by Jesus. Well, allegedly delegated. Your mileage may vary.
Jesus, it is believed, is guiding the leaders toward the absolute truth in a very subtle, vague sort of way. So subtle that the leaders make mistakes just like everybody else, including people who are not divinely inspired by Jesus. This might lead you to assume that it’s hard to tell someone who’s divinely inspired from someone who merely claims to be. But that you would be a very wrong and obvious thing to say.
The point is that “the truth,” as they understand it, is ever-changing, even though Jehovah and Jesus are not forever changing their minds. These changes are often described as “new light” by the Society’s leaders and are not to be taken as a sign that their leaders are misguided. Instead, it just means they get stuff wrong and Jehovah’s Witnesses shouldn’t let it bug them. The light (or the truth) gets brighter as Armageddon draws near, my friends. So stop relying on your own understanding and trust Jehovah to make it clear in his own good time. (These are things that real Jehovah’s Witnesses say, by the way. No, I’m not kidding.)
Openly flaunting any difference of opinion with the Society’s governing body can get you disfellowshipped for apostasy, especially if you try to convince others that your opinions are right and the leader’s teachings are not. That’s a major no-no in the world of Jehovah’s Witnesses. It’ll get your bus pass into paradise revoked in a heartbeat, buddy. So don’t even go there.

shturt678

Feb 9, 2013
South Point, Hawaii (Big Island)
kjw47 said:

Thank you for your response and caring!

You alluded to one of my most used passages, ie, the Lord's Prayer. Matt.6:9, "Hallowed by thy name" (my back yard). His name is that by which He makeds Himself known to us, His REVELATION. God's Word is His onoma, "name" His complete name, made known to us so that we may know God and enter into communion with Him. In every passage of Scripture God looks toward us, and we must see Him there. But for us CHRIST IS THE HEART OF THIS NAME, Jn.14:9.

Old Jack, don't let your heart be troubled kjw47, trust in me, ie, I mean trust in God. :) Almost blew that one?

kjw47

Feb 18, 2014
shturt678 said:
Thank you for your response and caring!

You alluded to one of my most used passages, ie, the Lord's Prayer. Matt.6:9, "Hallowed by thy name" (my back yard). His name is that by which He makeds Himself known to us, His REVELATION. God's Word is His onoma, "name" His complete name, made known to us so that we may know God and enter into communion with Him. In every passage of Scripture God looks toward us, and we must see Him there. But for us CHRIST IS THE HEART OF THIS NAME, Jn.14:9.

Old Jack, don't let your heart be troubled kjw47, trust in me, ie, I mean trust in God. :) Almost blew that one?
Psalm 83:18--- this is the name. As it teaches in Ezekial at minimum 30 times--- They will have to know I am YHWH(Jehovah)----- and all will---but its better to get to know him now--in fact Jesus taught one must know him and know Jesus to get eternal life-John 17:3

shturt678

Feb 9, 2013
kjw47 said:
Psalm 83:18--- this is the name. As it teaches in Ezekial at minimum 30 times--- They will have to know I am YHWH(Jehovah)----- and all will---but its better to get to know him now--in fact Jesus taught one must know him and know Jesus to get eternal life-John 17:3
Thank you for your response again!

I can't believe you reference a passage (Ps.83:18) right after one of my favorites Ps.82:6, "Ye are elohim," By reference to this Psalm Jesus proves to the Jews (Jn.10:34-36) that when He calls Himself the Son fo God, He does not blaspheme God.

"Name": "Title" PLUS "Revelation" this title rests upon.

Old Jack

kjw47

Feb 18, 2014
shturt678 said:

I can't believe you reference a passage (Ps.83:18) right after one of my favorites Ps.82:6, "Ye are elohim," By reference to this Psalm Jesus proves to the Jews (Jn.10:34-36) that when He calls Himself the Son fo God, He does not blaspheme God.

"Name": "Title" PLUS "Revelation" this title rests upon.

Old Jack
Elohim doesn't always mean just gods--it also has plural of majesty and most likely others--The ot writers--- and every Israelite that ever lived and served the true God, served YHWH( Jehovah, a single being mono God) So did Matthew,Mark,Luke, Jesus-
So its impossible the ot writers to use it as gods,( For the single being mono God they all served= 100% fact of history)-- Elohim used as plural of majesty.

Forsakenone

Dec 25, 2013
findingmyfaith1 said:
Why do you believe Jesus is God, when you can read
word for word in the Book of Numbers,

Chapter 23, 19: God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man,

that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken,
and shall he not make it good?

Do you believe this or is this a lie?
1. Jesus was a man.
2. Jesus was a son of man.

Is everything in this verse from the Bible...TRUE?
Yes or no?

Chapter 23, 19: God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man,

that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken,
and shall he not make it good?

Please do not write me back giving me your theories or doctrine

or explanations of your opinions or theories of your explanations.

Just answer the questions
I presented to you as they are written.
They don't have to justify the faith to you, GOD is the Judge.

brakelite said:
So what is your explanation of Genesis 1:26?
If you were born of the Spirit and the Word the answer would be self-evident.

Purity

May 20, 2013
Melbourne
So what is your explanation of Genesis 1:26?
The Jews, of all people, have been fiercely monotheistic. The Hebrew word, "elohim" translated "God" and the plurals "us" and "our" never suggested trinitarian ideas to them. Nor is there any New Testament allusion to indicate that in their interpretation of this passage they were mistaken.

If you can provide one please post...

nothead

Apr 2, 2014
Purity said:
The Jews, of all people, have been fiercely monotheistic. The Hebrew word, "elohim" translated "God" and the plurals "us" and "our" never suggested trinitarian ideas to them. Nor is there any New Testament allusion to indicate that in their interpretation of this passage they were mistaken.

Yes this application of two PLURAL pronouns as meaning God is speaking to HIMSELVES, is completely in opposition to 11,000 personal SINGULAR personal pronouns describing Him as a HIM. HE, I, MY, MINE.

FIERCELY monotheistic, in the old sense of the word. Yes, good word up. Spot on.

findingmyfaith1

Mar 20, 2014
Forsakenone said:
They don't have to justify the faith to you, GOD is the Judge.

If I prove that what you have said to me is a lie, will you admit you lied? Yes or no?

Or will you just say "Oh I made a mistake"?

It is one thing to declare something these others say as false,
but to say this to me. It will cost you. You will not get that free
ride you have been so custom to enjoying.

I am awaiting your answer before I JUDGE, what I am going to do with you.

shturt678

Feb 9, 2013
kjw47 said:
Elohim doesn't always mean just gods--it also has plural of majesty and most likely others--The ot writers--- and every Israelite that ever lived and served the true God, served YHWH( Jehovah, a single being mono God) So did Matthew,Mark,Luke, Jesus-
So its impossible the ot writers to use it as gods,( For the single being mono God they all served= 100% fact of history)-- Elohim used as plural of majesty.

Let's eyeball the term Elohim, being a plural, embody a reference to the Holy Trinity? Two extremes must be guarded against in submitting an answer. He goes to far who sees in this plural a dirdct and explicit reference to the Holy Trinity. Again, the plural is a potential Hebrew plural indicatin g the wealth of the potentialities of the divine being, chiefly in so far as God by His very nature and being kindles man's deepest reverence. However, what all the wealth of this reverence-inspiring Being is, is not fully revealed in all detail by the O.T., least of all in the time of Moses.

The term Elohim, however, allows for all that which the fuller unfolding of the same old truth brings in the course of the development of God's Kingdom. When then, ultimately the truth concerning the Trinity has been revealed, the fullest resources of the term Elohim have been explored, as far as man needs to know them.

Consequently, he who would claim that the term can have no connection with the truth of the HOLY TRINITY without definitely indicating, of course, that they are distinct Persons of the Godhead. We have clear testimony that Moses aimed to indicate the TRINITY or the three Persons in the one divine nature.

Old Jack

kjw47

Feb 18, 2014
shturt678 said:

Let's eyeball the term Elohim, being a plural, embody a reference to the Holy Trinity? Two extremes must be guarded against in submitting an answer. He goes to far who sees in this plural a dirdct and explicit reference to the Holy Trinity. Again, the plural is a potential Hebrew plural indicatin g the wealth of the potentialities of the divine being, chiefly in so far as God by His very nature and being kindles man's deepest reverence. However, what all the wealth of this reverence-inspiring Being is, is not fully revealed in all detail by the O.T., least of all in the time of Moses.

The term Elohim, however, allows for all that which the fuller unfolding of the same old truth brings in the course of the development of God's Kingdom. When then, ultimately the truth concerning the Trinity has been revealed, the fullest resources of the term Elohim have been explored, as far as man needs to know them.

Consequently, he who would claim that the term can have no connection with the truth of the HOLY TRINITY without definitely indicating, of course, that they are distinct Persons of the Godhead. We have clear testimony that Moses aimed to indicate the TRINITY or the three Persons in the one divine nature.

Old Jack
Moses served the true almighty God-YHWH(Jehovah) a single being mono God as did every Israelite that ever existed that served the true God--as well the God taught to Jesus his first 30 years attending the synagogues--these are 100% facts of history. Its impossible for Moses to use Elohim as gods.

B

brakelite

Forsakenone said:
Simply asking Jehovah's witnesses their take on that text. Why do you question me?
Purity said:

nothead said:
Yes this application of two PLURAL pronouns as meaning God is speaking to HIMSELVES, is completely in opposition to 11,000 personal SINGULAR personal pronouns describing Him as a HIM. HE, I, MY, MINE.

FIERCELY monotheistic, in the old sense of the word. Yes, good word up. Spot on.
Mmmm, interesting answers. You both (and kjw47) have most eloquently and with much emphasis informed me that it does not refer to the trinity. Fine. I knew that would be the case.But that doesn't answer my question.....what is your explanation of Genesis 1:26?

Purity

May 20, 2013
Melbourne
Simply asking Jehovah's witnesses their take on that text. Why do you question me?

Mmmm, interesting answers. You both (and kjw47) have most eloquently and with much emphasis informed me that it does not refer to the trinity. Fine. I knew that would be the case.But that doesn't answer my question.....what is your explanation of Genesis 1:26?
I assume you are alluding to the words "In our image" & “after our likeness?”

If one understands the Heavenly family correctly it means in the image of the Elohim whom the Father used in the work of creation. Job 38:7

The word tselem means a shadow, or an image, a likeness (form). The word is reproduced in Daniel 2 in relation to the image, and relates to form or appearance. Genesis 5:3 states that "Adam begat a son in his likeness after his image" which illustrates its use here. Man was made "in the image" of the Elohim, and inasmuch as they are "sons of God," the image is divine (though the nature of man is not). James makes the point that "we are made after the similitude of God," "even the Father" (James 3:9).

Of the Lord Jesus Christ also, we read that he is "the express image of His (God's) person" (Heb. 1:3). Yahweh has corporeal existence in heaven.

"After our likeness"

This is a very important statement teaching that man was created in the divine image and likeness, to reflect the divine character. Likeness is demuth in Hebrew, from a root damah, to bring together, to compare. It is translated "likeness" in Ezekiel 1:5, and is there used in regard to the cherubim. In Isaiah 40:18, 25; 46:5, it is used in connection with Yahweh.

A consideration of these passages will show that damuth defines capacity, authority and status. Man was made in the image of the Father, given a status similar to His over creation and granted a capacity to reflect the divine character. Therefore, a man's character should conform to his Godlike shape, as James suggests (see James 3:9). But whereas Adam was made in "the image and likeness of the Elohim," the descendants of Adam inherit the consequences of the Fall. Seth was "in the likeness after the image" of Adam (Gen. 5:3), and not that of God.

The issue of Seth being now in the likeness of sinful Adam is the very basis of true Christology. The problem of a bias nature bent toward sin was passed on from parent to child therefore it required the appearance of a New Man (a last Adam), in whom the image and likeness should re-appear,as in the beginning. This was 'the man Christ Jesus,' whom Paul styles 'the last Adam.' He is 'the Image of the invisible God' (Col. 1:15), 'the effulgent mirror of the glory, and the exact likeness of His person' (Heb. 1:3)"

But not God Himself.

B

brakelite

Purity said:
I assume you are alluding to the words "In our image" & “after our likeness?”

If one understands the Heavenly family correctly it means in the image of the Elohim whom the Father used in the work of creation. Job 38:7

The word tselem means a shadow, or an image, a likeness (form). The word is reproduced in Daniel 2 in relation to the image, and relates to form or appearance. Genesis 5:3 states that "Adam begat a son in his likeness after his image" which illustrates its use here. Man was made "in the image" of the Elohim, and inasmuch as they are "sons of God," the image is divine (though the nature of man is not). James makes the point that "we are made after the similitude of God," "even the Father" (James 3:9).

Of the Lord Jesus Christ also, we read that he is "the express image of His (God's) person" (Heb. 1:3). Yahweh has corporeal existence in heaven.

"After our likeness"

This is a very important statement teaching that man was created in the divine image and likeness, to reflect the divine character. Likeness is demuth in Hebrew, from a root damah, to bring together, to compare. It is translated "likeness" in Ezekiel 1:5, and is there used in regard to the cherubim. In Isaiah 40:18, 25; 46:5, it is used in connection with Yahweh.

A consideration of these passages will show that damuth defines capacity, authority and status. Man was made in the image of the Father, given a status similar to His over creation and granted a capacity to reflect the divine character. Therefore, a man's character should conform to his Godlike shape, as James suggests (see James 3:9). But whereas Adam was made in "the image and likeness of the Elohim," the descendants of Adam inherit the consequences of the Fall. Seth was "in the likeness after the image" of Adam (Gen. 5:3), and not that of God.

The issue of Seth being now in the likeness of sinful Adam is the very basis of true Christology. The problem of a bias nature bent toward sin was passed on from parent to child therefore it required the appearance of a New Man (a last Adam), in whom the image and likeness should re-appear,as in the beginning. This was 'the man Christ Jesus,' whom Paul styles 'the last Adam.' He is 'the Image of the invisible God' (Col. 1:15), 'the effulgent mirror of the glory, and the exact likeness of His person' (Heb. 1:3)"

But not God Himself.
So you ascribe powers of creation to the "elohim", the stars of Job 38:7 (angels cherubim etc) but not to Jesus? And ascribing the "image" and "likeness" of man to the character of God is sound, and I agree. But in including the angels in the work of creation and saying we are made also in their image and likeness is taking things a step too far. Throughout the scriptures elsewhere we are said to be in God's image, and yes, I agree, we lost that after the fall. But yes, the angels shouted for joy, they celebrated and praised God, yes, but not on account of anything they had accomplished, but on account of the creative power, majesty, imagination, and wisdom of God, and God alone. To include angels under the pronoun "let us make" sounds logical according to human reasoning when taken from the persepective of deniers of the divinity of Christ, but do you really think that with your human reasoning you are able to understand the nature of God?
The power to create (and know the future) is specifically and uniquely that quality which makes God God. It cannot under any circumstance be granted to angels. The expression "Let us make" is an invitation. God is not speaking to other created beings here. We are not the work of an assembly line.
Isa 37:16 O LORD of hosts, God of Israel, that dwellest between the cherubims, thou art the God, even thou alone, of all the kingdoms of the earth: thou hast made heaven and earth.
Isa 45:12 I have made the earth, and created man upon it: I, even my hands, have stretched out the heavens, and all their host have I commanded.
Isa 45:18 For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else.

When the Lord said He would make man, how did He do it? With His own hands. Not a spoken word, but man was formed from the clay of the ground. It is preposterous to suggest that angels had a part to play in this. What angel has the wisdom and power to form man from the dust of the ground? No, the "Elohim" that is referred to here can only mean a personage of deity with the power and wisdom and glory to create. The NT is absolutely clear and informs us Who that deity is.
If that doesn't fit with your ideas on what God meant when He said "Iam God and there is no other", then maybe you need to humble yourself and admit that maybe your ideas in a human sense simply aren't up to scratch when faced with the nature of your Maker.

Does the plurality, then, point to a plurality of attributes in the divine nature? This cannot be, because a plurality of qualities exists in everything, without at all leading to the application of the plural number to the individual, and because such a plurality does not warrant the expression, “let us make.” Only a plurality of persons can justify the phrase. Barnes on Genesis 1:26

Purity

May 20, 2013
Melbourne
So you ascribe powers of creation to the "elohim", the stars of Job 38:7 (angels cherubim etc) but not to Jesus? And ascribing the "image" and "likeness" of man to the character of God is sound, and I agree.
No, I ascribe the powers of creation to Yahweh as manifested through his angels. "Elohim is a name bestowed on angels and orders of men. It is written, 'Worship him, all ye Elohim' (Psalm 97:7).

But in including the angels in the work of creation and saying we are made also in their image and likeness is taking things a step too far.
Do you believe it is a coincidence that every appearance of an angel in the Bible is in shape and form as a man?

Have you not read what Paul applies to Jesus saying, 'We see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels' (Heb. 2:9). He continued inferior to them a little upwards of thirty years, from the birth of the flesh to his resurrection; when he was exalted far above them in rank and dignity, even to the 'right hand of power', which is enthroned in light, where dwells the Majesty in the heavens."

Step to far - if it is truth simply accept it and continue to build up the house on sure foundations.

Throughout the scriptures elsewhere we are said to be in God's image, and yes, I agree, we lost that after the fall. But yes, the angels shouted for joy, they celebrated and praised God, yes, but not on account of anything they had accomplished, but on account of the creative power, majesty, imagination, and wisdom of God, and God alone.
Can you see how you lack knowledge of God's manifestation?

In this you are neglecting the Might and Power of God Himself by limiting His Will and Power through those HE calls Mighty One you infer they are weak and beggarly?

To include angels under the pronoun "let us make" sounds logical according to human reasoning when taken from the persepective of deniers of the divinity of Christ, but do you really think that with your human reasoning you are able to understand the nature of God?
Elohim is in the plural, and signifies "mighty ones,"

Bless ye Yahweh, all ye His hosts (angels); ye ministers of His, that do His pleasure. Bless Yahweh, all His works in all places of His dominion" (Psalm
103:19-22).

I say this not to belittle you but you do not know Yahweh Elohim - "He who will be manifested through mighty ones".

They (us) aspire to manifest God more perfectly as we do today but the God you are manifesting does not exist...this I believe will be shown to you eventually.

The power to create (and know the future) is specifically and uniquely that quality which makes God God.
And yet it was "through" Angels which He chose to administer His Holy Spirit to his people, in fact all His dealings with man were through angels but NOW through his beloved Son who now administers the angels in their work.

Acts 7:53 "Who have received the law by the disposition of angels"

The word "disposition" is the Gr. diatagas and signifies "ordinance." It has the idea of constitution or arranging. The NIV has "the law that was put into effect by angels," whereas the NEB has "the law as God's angels gave it to you." In receiving the Law, Moses did not see the great Increate personally, but an angelic representative (Num. 12:8; Exo. 20:1; Gal. 3:19; Heb. 2:2; Acts 7:38).

In the case of God's own Son, the circumstances were entirely different (Heb 1:1 -2); he was elevated to become the medium of the divine will, described as the "Word made flesh" (Jn. 1:14).

It cannot under any circumstance be granted to angels. The expression "Let us make" is an invitation. God is not speaking to other created beings here. We are not the work of an assembly line.
Your reluctance to acknowledge the divine family does not place you in good stead Brakelight - lets see how long you can deny this truth - the weight of Scripture will mount upon you until your knees begin to buckle under the strain.

Isa 37:16 O LORD of hosts, God of Israel, that dwellest between the cherubims, thou art the God, even thou alone, of all the kingdoms of the earth: thou hast made heaven and earth.

Isa 45:12 I have made the earth, and created man upon it: I, even my hands, have stretched out the heavens, and all their host have I commanded.
Isa 45:18 For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else.

When the Lord said He would make man, how did He do it? With His own hands. Not a spoken word, but man was formed from the clay of the ground. It is preposterous to suggest that angels had a part to play in this. What angel has the wisdom and power to form man from the dust of the ground? No, the "Elohim" that is referred to here can only mean a personage of deity with the power and wisdom and glory to create. The NT is absolutely clear and informs us Who that deity is.
If that doesn't fit with your ideas on what God meant when He said "Iam God and there is no other", then maybe you need to humble yourself and admit that maybe your ideas in a human sense simply aren't up to scratch when faced with the nature of your Maker.

Does the plurality, then, point to a plurality of attributes in the divine nature? This cannot be, because a plurality of qualities exists in everything, without at all leading to the application of the plural number to the individual, and because such a plurality does not warrant the expression, “let us make.” Only a plurality of persons can justify the phrase. Barnes on Genesis 1:26
Wow Brakelight imagine making such a stance when the Word of God is clear; Heb 1:14 cmp Psalm 103:19-22

Some would say a brave man to make such claims other would say you speak foolishness in your heart.

The spiritually-minded man serves Yahweh first, then his brethren; thereby offering himself as a living sacrifice to the glory of God (Mat. 22:37-39; Rom. 12:1). As the angels are 'public serving spirits' to the saints, so believers should act similarly toward one another, to the glory of God and for the good of all (Heb. 1:14, Gal. 5:13, etc.). Christ is the supreme example. His life was devoted to the sacrifice of self; in humble submission to his Father's will, and in service to his brethren...Amen

Yahweh is spirit (John 4:24), and His angels are spirit beings (Psalm 104:4; Heb. 1:7). They are "His family in heaven" (Eph. 3:15), being emanations of Him, and doing His will through His all-pervading spirit (Gen. 1:2). Thus they act as a unit, though being innumerable in number. In some instances, however, Elohim is used with a plural verb (Gen. 1:26; 3:22; 11:7; Isa. 6:8 — in Gen. 20:13; 31:7,53; 35:7; Deut. 4:7; Josh. 24:19; 2 Sam. 7:23; Jer. 10:10; 23:36). The use of both singular and plural verbs in relation to this plural noun indicates that though the Elohim are many, and united as one, they also are capable of independent decision and action. Nevertheless, the power they exercise, and the glory they manifest, both stem from one: even Yahweh. See again Job 38:7.

Brakelite - I am here to show you are more perfect saving Gospel...you only need knock :)

P.

Forsakenone

Dec 25, 2013
If I prove that what you have said to me is a lie, will you admit you lied? Yes or no? Or will you just say "Oh I made a mistake"?
I consider myself to be a reasonable person so therefore if you can demonstrate that what I said was untrue, I will not only admit my error but thank you for showing me the error of my way.

It is one thing to declare something these others say as false,
but to say this to me. It will cost you. You will not get that free
ride you have been so custom to enjoying.

I am awaiting your answer before I JUDGE, what I am going to do with you.
John 8:16-18
Wasn't questioning, just responded to what appeared to be an open question your presented. If it was directed specifically for someone then I didn't mean to interfere with your converstation.

What angel has the wisdom and power to form man from the dust of the ground?
However, if I may, I would like to comment on this question as well. What God needs the dust of the ground to give life to the talking spirit made in their imagine after their likeness?

B

brakelite

Purity said:
No, I ascribe the powers of creation to Yahweh as manifested through his angels. "Elohim is a name bestowed on angels and orders of men. It is written, 'Worship him, all ye Elohim' (Psalm 97:7).

Do you believe it is a coincidence that every appearance of an angel in the Bible is in shape and form as a man?

Have you not read what Paul applies to Jesus saying, 'We see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels' (Heb. 2:9). He continued inferior to them a little upwards of thirty years, from the birth of the flesh to his resurrection; when he was exalted far above them in rank and dignity, even to the 'right hand of power', which is enthroned in light, where dwells the Majesty in the heavens."

Step to far - if it is truth simply accept it and continue to build up the house on sure foundations.

Can you see how you lack knowledge of God's manifestation?

In this you are neglecting the Might and Power of God Himself by limiting His Will and Power through those HE calls Mighty One you infer they are weak and beggarly?

Elohim is in the plural, and signifies "mighty ones,"

Bless ye Yahweh, all ye His hosts (angels); ye ministers of His, that do His pleasure. Bless Yahweh, all His works in all places of His dominion" (Psalm
103:19-22).

I say this not to belittle you but you do not know Yahweh Elohim - "He who will be manifested through mighty ones".

They (us) aspire to manifest God more perfectly as we do today but the God you are manifesting does not exist...this I believe will be shown to you eventually.

And yet it was "through" Angels which He chose to administer His Holy Spirit to his people, in fact all His dealings with man were through angels but NOW through his beloved Son who now administers the angels in their work.

Acts 7:53 "Who have received the law by the disposition of angels"

The word "disposition" is the Gr. diatagas and signifies "ordinance." It has the idea of constitution or arranging. The NIV has "the law that was put into effect by angels," whereas the NEB has "the law as God's angels gave it to you." In receiving the Law, Moses did not see the great Increate personally, but an angelic representative (Num. 12:8; Exo. 20:1; Gal. 3:19; Heb. 2:2; Acts 7:38).

In the case of God's own Son, the circumstances were entirely different (Heb 1:1 -2); he was elevated to become the medium of the divine will, described as the "Word made flesh" (Jn. 1:14).

Your reluctance to acknowledge the divine family does not place you in good stead Brakelight - lets see how long you can deny this truth - the weight of Scripture will mount upon you until your knees begin to buckle under the strain.

Wow Brakelight imagine making such a stance when the Word of God is clear; Heb 1:14 cmp Psalm 103:19-22

Some would say a brave man to make such claims other would say you speak foolishness in your heart.

The spiritually-minded man serves Yahweh first, then his brethren; thereby offering himself as a living sacrifice to the glory of God (Mat. 22:37-39; Rom. 12:1). As the angels are 'public serving spirits' to the saints, so believers should act similarly toward one another, to the glory of God and for the good of all (Heb. 1:14, Gal. 5:13, etc.). Christ is the supreme example. His life was devoted to the sacrifice of self; in humble submission to his Father's will, and in service to his brethren...Amen

Yahweh is spirit (John 4:24), and His angels are spirit beings (Psalm 104:4; Heb. 1:7). They are "His family in heaven" (Eph. 3:15), being emanations of Him, and doing His will through His all-pervading spirit (Gen. 1:2). Thus they act as a unit, though being innumerable in number. In some instances, however, Elohim is used with a plural verb (Gen. 1:26; 3:22; 11:7; Isa. 6:8 — in Gen. 20:13; 31:7,53; 35:7; Deut. 4:7; Josh. 24:19; 2 Sam. 7:23; Jer. 10:10; 23:36). The use of both singular and plural verbs in relation to this plural noun indicates that though the Elohim are many, and united as one, they also are capable of independent decision and action. Nevertheless, the power they exercise, and the glory they manifest, both stem from one: even Yahweh. See again Job 38:7.

Brakelite - I am here to show you are more perfect saving Gospel...you only need knock :)

P.
Lol, I must admire you for your bluster and determination, but a long treatise on the ministry of angels was quite unecessary. I have no argument over the ministry of angels...I have been honoured to have seen them on several occasions; both good (in worshiping with me and saving my life on one occasion) and evil. (in attempting to divert me from the faith). The power of angels (2 Kings 19:35) and their glory (Lu 9:26 ) and their allegiance to God (too many texts to choose from) is not in question. But their power to create is. Nowehere in scripture, despite your bluster, does it say that angels can create, or took active part in creation. Witnesses to creation, yes, but active in the sense that they joined with Jehovah God in response to the invitiation "Let us make????" .You give to them this obscure power without evidence yet deny it to the pre-existent Messiah for which there are scriptures verifying Jesus' active participation in creation, even to His own testimony in claiming Lordship of the Sabbath Day, a day instituted at creation by the Creator Himself. Who but the Creator of the Sabbath could claim Lordship of the Sabbath?

Forsakenone said:
Wasn't questioning, just responded to what appeared to be an open question your presented. If it was directed specifically for someone then I didn't mean to interfere with your converstation.

However, if I may, I would like to comment on this question as well. What God needs the dust of the ground to give life to the talking spirit made in their imagine after their likeness?
No God needed to do anything. God chose however to use the dust of the ground. Why? Because we are special. What has greater value to you? Something you ordered off the internet, or something you made with your own hands? In fact, those who deny the deity of Christ have a far lesser appreciation of the value of man in God's eyes than we who worship Jesus as Creator and LORD. Jesus said on one occasion that greater love hath no man than he that lays down his life for a friend. Quite true. But there is a greater love. It is that love that motivated God to lay down His own life for His enemies. Sinners such as you and I.

Purity

May 20, 2013
Melbourne
Lol, I must admire you for your bluster and determination, but a long treatise on the ministry of angels was quite unecessary. I have no argument over the ministry of angels...I have been honoured to have seen them on several occasions; both good (in worshiping with me and saving my life on one occasion) and evil. (in attempting to divert me from the faith). The power of angels (2 Kings 19:35) and their glory (Lu 9:26 ) and their allegiance to God (too many texts to choose from) is not in question. But their power to create is. Nowehere in scripture, despite your bluster, does it say that angels can create, or took active part in creation. Witnesses to creation, yes, but active in the sense that they joined with Jehovah God in response to the invitiation "Let us make????" .You give to them this obscure power without evidence yet deny it to the pre-existent Messiah for which there are scriptures verifying Jesus' active participation in creation, even to His own testimony in claiming Lordship of the Sabbath Day, a day instituted at creation by the Creator Himself. Who but the Creator of the Sabbath could claim Lordship of the Sabbath?
So let me understand you here - you state emphatically that angels had "nothing" to do with creation and you know this, though the Scripture is silent on the matter?

You see Brakelite the proof is sitting on this side of the computer screen - you must fight against 1000's of years of Jewish history and culture and even while there are some corrupted scholars who point to a polytheistic background for Elohim, particularly in instances implying a heavenly council (Gen. 1:26), everyone who is cognisant of the truth knows the canonical intent is clearly monotheistic, even where the accompanying verbs and adjectives are grammatically plural (see Gen. 20:13; Exod. 22:9). The name is used interchangeably with and as the equivalent of Yahweh, the covenant God of Israel (See Exod. 5:1; 1 Sam. 5:7–8, 10–11; also Exod. 15:2; Judg. 5:3, 5).

There is even a few times the Hebrew term refers to idols like Exod. 20:23 & Isa. 42:17, or to beings with divine attributes (Ps. 82:1; 138:1; cf. 8:5).

So I guess in return considering "all your bluster" you cannot disprove that "angels can be given the power to create, or took active part in creation"

No God needed to do anything. God chose however to use the dust of the ground. Why? Because we are special. What has greater value to you? Something you ordered off the internet, or something you made with your own hands? In fact, those who deny the deity of Christ have a far lesser appreciation of the value of man in God's eyes than we who worship Jesus as Creator and LORD. Jesus said on one occasion that greater love hath no man than he that lays down his life for a friend. Quite true. But there is a greater love. It is that love that motivated God to lay down His own life for His enemies. Sinners such as you and I.
No Trinity here or a pre-existent Christ.

Please prove:

1. That God could not create through His angels, and that He does not command His angelic council to conduct "all" His affairs both in Heaven and in Earth.

Psalm 89:5 O Lord, the heavens praise your amazing deeds, as well as your faithfulness in the angelic assembly. 89:6 For who in the skies can compare to the Lord? Who is like the Lord among the heavenly beings, 89:7 a God who is honored in the great angelic assembly,and more awesome than all who surround him? 89:8 O Lord, sovereign God!14 Who is strong like you, O Lord? Your faithfulness surrounds you.

This is a reference to God’s divine council (as per verse 7), or heavenly host, who assists Him in administering the affairs of heaven and earth (see also 1 Kgs 22:19–23). The term “holy ones” is also used elsewhere to speak of divine beings (Deut 33:2–3; Job 5:1; 15:15; Zech 14:5; Dan 4:17). Psalm 82 focuses on God’s divine council.

2. God (single) did not make man in their (plural) image and likeness.

Elohim is derived from el, which means “mighty one”; and occasionally Elohim means “mighty ones”. It is not that angels, being Elohim, collectively constitute either gods or God; rather does God, in recognition of their operation on His behalf, permit them to be styled by His title, the Almighty.

At the heart of your dilemma is the factual account of Gods Word being made flesh (John 1:14) God manifested in and through the Flesh of a Son. Not just one son but many Sons and Daughters.
You desperately want to remove the idea of angelic agency when it comes to the words “image” and “likeness”! And therefore disagree Jesus was made a little lower than the angels after the image of man and fallen man, at that,...but raised to Glory.

You somehow seek to disqualify the Heavenly family from 1. Being involved in Creation 2. Man being made in their image and after their likeness.

Some have entertained angels unawares! you appear to remove them from the Creation Works, His Heavenly Council and all the acts of ministering to the saints throughout time - all the miracles and miraculous signs and wonders but wait - its impossible for them to be utilised in Creating. (BOLD!)

Needless to say the point has been aptly made that angels and ministering spirits who behold the face of God always do His commands without question.

We look like them always...and strangely always a man - never a woman (I wonder why ;)

P.

Brakelite, if only your language was not consistant with Davids...who spoke of the extraordinary power which pertains to angelic beings, who exclaims, “Bless the Lord, ye his angels, who excel in strength.”