Questions For A Catholic

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anastacia

Oct 23, 2010
Foreginer,
Jesus said, "take eat this is my body." He said the bread was his body, not it is like his body. I can't explain how the bread and wine become Jesus' body and blood because it is a mystery but Aquinas tells us that the substances of the bread and wine become CHrist's actual body and blood, though the accidents or appearance still stay the same as it would be unpaletaqble for us and improper to recieve them in such a way. we still share the Eucharist in rememberance of him but what we recieve is his body and blood.

Obeying Jesus' words (commands) are eating of his body! Jesus is the Word of God. When we obey Jesus' words---we eat from him. Jesus' blood was shed on the cross. Jesus is not in a box in the Catholic Churches!

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
All YOUR "early church fathers" writings are not in the Bible.

And, according to your explanation, Jesus really meant: Do not call anyone on earth Father, unless they really are worthy to be called that.

Jesus told his disciples not to call anyone on earth Father----that they were "brothers"!

The Catholic parishioners not only call their priests "Father," the priests call each other "Father"! Again, Jesus says they are "brothers."

I guess you think man's commands and rules are better than Jesus'?

I have noticed that you ignored the fact that Jesus also said call no one your "teacher." I have already provided biblical evidence showing you that the Apostles called other men and even themselves "teacher" and "father." Yet, you are unable to refute that fact in the Bible. Perhaps, you need to tell the Apostles that they were wrong in calling others including themselves "teacher" and "father." You should also admonish Jesus for going against what He says when He referred Abraham as "father." Do you have an explaination for that? We have offered our explainations. So, you now need to refute it. In other words, if Jesus truely meant that we are not to call anyone "teacher" and "father" then offer your explainations of why St. Paul called himself "teacher" and "father." Offer an explaination of why Jesus referred Abraham as "father."

Do you have an explaination of why it is okay for you to make images of your loved ones and even a statue of Abraham Lincoln, when it clearly specifies in the Bible that God commanded "not to MAKE any likeness of anything on earth?"

In Christ,
Selene

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And it is God's grace with basically null and voids the need to do the other things that we were required to do.

It makes me sad because the Catholic Mass can be such a beautiful thing that holds some of the reverence I have found is missing in some of the other denominational worship services.

I do like the reverence as well - I had no experience with it before I attended Mass

Anastacia

Oct 23, 2010
I have noticed that you ignored the fact that Jesus also said call no one your "teacher." I have already provided biblical evidence showing you that the Apostles called other men and even themselves "teacher" and "father." Yet, you are unable to refute that fact in the Bible. Perhaps, you need to tell the Apostles that they were wrong in calling others including themselves "teacher" and "father." You should also admonish Jesus for going against what He says when He referred Abraham as "father." Do you have an explaination for that? We have offered our explainations. So, you now need to refute it. In other words, if Jesus truely meant that we are not to call anyone "teacher" and "father" then offer your explainations of why St. Paul called himself "teacher" and "father." Offer an explaination of why Jesus referred Abraham as "father."

Do you have an explaination of why it is okay for you to make images of your loved ones and even a statue of Abraham Lincoln, when it clearly specifies in the Bible that God commanded "not to MAKE any likeness of anything on earth?"

In Christ,
Selene

You already proved you can't understand spiritual things. Paul did NOT tell anyone to call him Father. Do you BOW DOWN TO THE STATUE OF LINCOLN? Do you? Why not? Do you bow down to your daughter's doll? How about your son's toy truck? Your kids pictures? And I didn't ignore anything. I don't call other believers "Teacher." So now what?

TexUs

Nov 18, 2010
Nobody going to tackle mine? Or are they un-tackle-able? :)

My questions.

Worship.
Luke 22:19, is done in remembrance of someone. Are you not remembering Mary or any of the other saints?
Strong's has worship being translated as bow, obedience, reverence, fall down, stoop, crouch. Are not people that bow before a statue of Mary participating in worship to an idol (Lev 26:1)?
I believe you'd state the idol you bow down to as needing to be "alive" or "more than an image" but every single time I read references to idols, the people worshiping them made no such distinction. The Idol to an Unknown God wasn't even an image to anything and yet it was condemned?
2 Chron 33:7, pretty well speaks against putting images of anything in the house of God, how do you reconcile this?

Prayer to Saints
1 Timothy 2:5, only one mediator between God and man, so I ask, even if this is innocent, what's the point?
Why do you not pray to, say... Judas? Romans 2 tells us there's no favoritism among sinners and in other letters we obviously know that all are evil, unclean sinners.
The only time I see Biblically where a saint is spoken to (Samuel) it seems he was rather mad about the whole deal and was not in God's favor during this time. I also see any other time when speaking with the dead is mentioned, it is always condemned as witchcraft, etc?
Hebrews 4:6, are there two thrones to be approached? I guess this ties to my first question of what's the point?

The Saints Attributes
This ties to above... What makes Mary more special? Indeed it'd seem you'd have to add to what the Bible tells us about Mary so how do you take 1 Cor 4:6 about not adding to Scripture?

You
Where do you draw the line between "tradition" and "written" in accountability to the Roman Catholic Church? You cannot deny the practice, as stated in an earlier post (I haven't read them all) of a Father not marrying... Nor the reasoning behind the Papacy. So when do you draw the line and stand up and say, "Yes, this represents what Roman Catholics do!" and "No, that should be condemned". And at what point do the things that need to be condemned amount to enough to denounce the work of the RCC?

Yes. It means that other churches do not have the fullness of Christ's message.
Other churches have the Canon as well so this means you are adding to Scripture something to make Christ's message full?
What of 1 Cor 4:6 and 2 Tim 3:16?

Foreginer,
Jesus said, "take eat this is my body." He said the bread was his body, not it is like his body.
Oh, is that what he said? Or are you omitting scripture and taking things out of context?
And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.

What of when he said the blood was of the covenant? Did a covenant actually bleed or is it SYMBOLIC?

I can't explain how the bread and wine become Jesus' body and blood because it is a mystery
The only mystery is how one considers bread to be flesh and wine to be blood... Take it into a lab and have it analyzed, why don't you? :p

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First I am not a protestant. I do not believe in anyman’s theology. I only believe whatJesus has personally taught me. I donot believe in any protestant church. They have more wrong then the Catholics, in my opinion. You really should take seriously what Paul said about anyone preaching a different Gospel then what he taught.

So do you go to church?

You would also do well if instead of making fun, try to answer some of my points.

I have been reading and addressing your posts - I was not making fun of your post - I was laughing at the irony of telling a Catholic that they need to do what they are told - most nonCatholics think the problem with Catholics is that they cannot think for themselves. In any case, I apologize.

(Galatians 1:7-9) “Not that there can be more than one Good News;it is merely that some troublemakers among you want to change the Good News ofChrist; and let me warn you that if anyone preaches a version of the Good Newsdifferent from the one we have already preached to you, whether it by ourselvesor an angel from heaven, he is to be condemned. I am only repeating what we told you before; if anyone preaches aversion of the Good News different from the one you have already heard, he isto be condemned.”

For starters the Catholic Church not longer teaches: (Matthew5:39) “You have learnt how it was said: ‘Eye for eye and tooth for tooth.’ ButI say this to you: offer the wicked man no resistance.”

Um, do you have an example of how the church no longer teaches this idea?

Also look into usury, and see how the Church has twisted that evil.

Some Bishops were guilty of simony during the Middle Ages - the Church Reformed this practice during the Counter-Reformation

What is Sola Scriptura, sola fide and sola gratia?

they are the foundation of Protestantism - the Bible is the final authority - faith alone and grace alone. Go google it.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Selene, Once again you can't seem to see the spiritual part of "do not call anyone on earth Father." You compare God's command of our not to make any image....to don't make toys for your kids. You couldn't get anymore unspiritual than that.

Jesus didn't want us to have a spiritual Father over us....besides God, the Father in heaven. The Catholic Pope is the Catholic's spiritual Father.

And you bring up 2 Timothy 2:2 to try to prove your false doctrine of "Apostolic Succession"?! Apostolic Succession is not biblical. And it is ridiculous to try to prove Apostolic Succession from Peter---from the apostle Paul!!!

Sounds like you and the Catholic Church think the Word of God is irrelevant.

I compared God's command not to make any image to all things such as images of your loved ones, the statue of Lady Liberty and the founding fathers, toy dolls, etc... All of these fall under that category.

We know that we have only one Father in Heaven, who is God. We are not confused. We also know that there is only one Son of God - Jesus Christ. Again, we are not confused. But we also understand that Christ sent the Apostles to preach the Gospels and these Apostles called themselves "fathers." We understand that even today God still calls people to preach the Gospels. If God can call prophets and Apostles to preach His Word during biblical times, what makes you think that He stopped doing this.

As for 2 Timothy 2:2, the Scipture is clear that St. Paul entrusted what he learned to Timothy and instructed Timothy to do the same to faithful men so they can also teach others. This is the evidence for Apostolic succession. How did you interpret this biblical verse? Offer your explaination of why you think St. Paul is not saying what he is saying in the Bible instead of accusing me of proving my false doctrine. I am sorry to say.....but to accuse someone of having a false doctrine from biblical scripture instead of offering their own explaination is not a sincere dialogue.

In Christ,
Selene

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
I do like the reverence as well - I had no experience with it before I attended Mass

-- Jesus wants us to have an intimate, familiar relationship with HIm, but at times God wants us to remember just who he is and show Him the great reverence and awe he is entitled to.

The Catholic Mass had that reverence for me.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[font="arial][size="2"]Nobody going to tackle mine? Or are they un-tackle-able? :)

[/size][/font]

Other churches have the Canon as well so this means you are adding to Scripture something to make Christ's message full?
What of 1 Cor 4:6 and 2 Tim 3:16?

Oh, is that what he said? Or are you omitting scripture and taking things out of context?
And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.

What of when he said the blood was of the covenant? Did a covenant actually bleed or is it SYMBOLIC?

The only mystery is how one considers bread to be flesh and wine to be blood... Take it into a lab and have it analyzed, why don't you? :p

I am getting there Texus - lots of posts - you have good questions

Anastacia

Oct 23, 2010
My relies to Selene in blue.

I compared God's command not to make any image to all things such as images of your loved ones, the statue of Lady Liberty and the founding fathers, toy dolls, etc... All of these fall under that category.

Why don't you answer what I asked? Here it is again: Why don't you bow down to your daughter's doll and your son's toy truck? Why don't you bow down to their pictures? YOU ARE BOWING TO STATUES MADE OF WOOD AND STONE! AND IMAGES ON A PICTURE! THAT IS SINFUL. It is against the Word of God.

We know that we have only one Father in Heaven, who is God. We are not confused. We also know that there is only one Son of God - Jesus Christ. Again, we are not confused. But we also understand that Christ sent the Apostles to preach the Gospels and these Apostles called themselves "fathers." We understand that even today God still calls people to preach the Gospels. If God can call prophets and Apostles to preach His Word during biblical times, what makes you think that He stopped doing this.

You call a sinful man on earth "Holy Father." And this is good with you?!!! You go against the command of Jesus, and this is good with you?

As for 2 Timothy 2:2, the Scipture is clear that St. Paul entrusted what he learned to Timothy and instructed Timothy to do the same to faithful men so they can also teach others. This is the evidence for Apostolic succession. How did you interpret this biblical verse? Offer your explaination of why you think St. Paul is not saying what he is saying in the Bible instead of accusing me of proving my false doctrine. I am sorry to say.....but to accuse someone of having a false doctrine from biblical scripture instead of offering their own explaination is not a sincere dialogue.

Apostolic Succession from Peter is a Catholic false belief. But here you use Timothy 2:2 to prove apostolic succession from Peter---but not from Peter, but from Paul!

In Christ,
Selene

TexUs

Nov 18, 2010
But we also understand that Christ sent the Apostles to preach the Gospels and these Apostles called themselves "fathers."

Where?

As for 2 Timothy 2:2, the Scipture is clear that St. Paul entrusted what he learned to Timothy and instructed Timothy to do the same to faithful men so they can also teach others. This is the evidence for Apostolic succession.

No, it's not. Timothy was called a disciple and nothing more.

This passage is also terrible "proof" of proving succession because Paul wrote this to Timothy... It wasn't from Peter.

It's obvious it's talking about church leadership, you notice he's to entrust MEN, plural... Not one "successor", but men, to lead and teach the body. It also cannot be more painfully obvious why he'd say this, you don't want just anyone teaching unbiblical principles. You want someone competent. This is enforced in Hebrews and other places when the pastors are to be given a higher account of what they've taught the church than will the church people themselves... It's obvious God wants competent people teaching and not distorting the gospel, hence his eternal condemnation statements regarding people that distort it. He holds it in high regard.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Worship.
Luke 22:19, is done in remembrance of someone. Are you not remembering Mary or any of the other saints?
Strong's has worship being translated as bow, obedience, reverence, fall down, stoop, crouch. Are not people that bow before a statue of Mary participating in worship to an idol (Lev 26:1)?
I believe you'd state the idol you bow down to as needing to be "alive" or "more than an image" but every single time I read references to idols, the people worshiping them made no such distinction. The Idol to an Unknown God wasn't even an image to anything and yet it was condemned?
2 Chron 33:7, pretty well speaks against putting images of anything in the house of God, how do you reconcile this?

Prayer to Saints
1 Timothy 2:5, only one mediator between God and man, so I ask, even if this is innocent, what's the point?
Why do you not pray to, say... Judas? Romans 2 tells us there's no favoritism among sinners and in other letters we obviously know that all are evil, unclean sinners.
The only time I see Biblically where a saint is spoken to (Samuel) it seems he was rather mad about the whole deal and was not in God's favor during this time. I also see any other time when speaking with the dead is mentioned, it is always condemned as witchcraft, etc?
Hebrews 4:6, are there two thrones to be approached? I guess this ties to my first question of what's the point?

The Saints Attributes
This ties to above... What makes Mary more special? Indeed it'd seem you'd have to add to what the Bible tells us about Mary so how do you take 1 Cor 4:6 about not adding to Scripture?

You
Where do you draw the line between "tradition" and "written" in accountability to the Roman Catholic Church? You cannot deny the practice, as stated in an earlier post (I haven't read them all) of a Father not marrying... Nor the reasoning behind the Papacy. So when do you draw the line and stand up and say, "Yes, this represents what Roman Catholics do!" and "No, that should be condemned". And at what point do the things that need to be condemned amount to enough to denounce the work of the RCC?

Hello TexUs,

I would be happy to answer your questions. They are a lot of questions, so I will try to address it one at a time:

1. Worship: You ask are we not remembering Mary and the Saints? The answer is Yes. We remember Mary and the saints just as you remember your loved ones who passed away....just as you celebrate Memorial Day in remembrance of the soldiers who died for your country. However, I'm pretty sure that you don't worship them. We don't worship Mary and the saints as well.

2. Prayer to the Saints: If you believe that Christ is the only mediator as you pointed out, then why do you ask your family and friends to pray for you? Why not go directly to God Himself and pray to Him directly? We do not pray to Judas. Judas is nowhere in any of our liturgies with the rest of the Apostles and saints. Christians who are on earth who believe in our Lord are our brothers. We all make up the body of Christ. The body of Christ are the believers and those who have faith in our Lord. We are the body of Christ and are one. When a Christian die, do you believe that he stopped being a Christian when he died? We do not. Do you believe that a Christian is no longer part of the body of Christ when he dies? We do not. The souls in Heaven also make up the body of Christ. So, the Christian who believes in Christ has eternal life in Heaven because that is what Christ said. Because these Christians in Heaven are also the part of the mytical body of Christ just like us, then we can ask them to pray for us just as we ask any Christian here who is also part of the body of Christ to pray for us. The Bible shows that there are people in Heaven. The Scripture is found in Hebrews 21:1. The cloud of witnesses over our head are the people in Heaven.

Hebrews 12:1
And therefore we also having so great a cloud of witnesses over our head, laying aside every weight and sin which surrounds us, let us run by patience to the fight proposed to us:

3 You ask what makes Mary special? It was Christ who honored His mother and Father just as he followed all Ten Commandments. One of the Ten Commandments is to honor your mother and father. Christ was the most perfect son. He honored His Father, who is God and His mother Mary. The word "honor" in Hebrew means to glorify. It was Christ who glorified His mother Mary. All we're doing is following what He did.

4. You ask do we draw a line between "tradition" and "written." First of all, the tradition we follow is the "Apostolic Traditon." There are two types of traditions mentioned in the Bible. The one that St. Paul spoke about in 2 Th. 2:14 is the Apostolic Tradition. The Apostolic Tradition that was handed down to us from the Apostles themselves is aligned with written Scripture and this is the only tradition we follow.

2 Thessalonians 2:14
Therefore, brethren, stand fast; and hold the TRADITIONS, which you have learned, whether by word, or by our epistle

I hope that answers your questions.

In Christ,
Selene

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
[/size]
Where?

No, it's not. Timothy was called a disciple and nothing more.

This passage is also terrible "proof" of proving succession because Paul wrote this to Timothy... It wasn't from Peter.

It's obvious it's talking about church leadership, you notice he's to entrust MEN, plural... Not one "successor", but men, to lead and teach the body. It also cannot be more painfully obvious why he'd say this, you don't want just anyone teaching unbiblical principles. You want someone competent. This is enforced in Hebrews and other places when the pastors are to be given a higher account of what they've taught the church than will the church people themselves... It's obvious God wants competent people teaching and not distorting the gospel, hence his eternal condemnation statements regarding people that distort it. He holds it in high regard.

St. Paul referred to himself as "father" in 1 Corinthians 4:15.

The fact that St. Paul entrusted Timothy everything he learned and then instruct Timothy to also entrust faithful men the same teaching so that they in turn would teach others shows that the Apostles DID appoint someone to replace them when they die. St. Paul was an Apostle, and the rest of the Apostles did the same thing he did. If St. Paul did, then so did the rest. What makes you think that the rest were different?

By the way, I have to get to work, but I will return to this forum soon.

In Christ,
Selene

TexUs

Nov 18, 2010
1. Worship: You ask are we not remembering Mary and the Saints? The answer is Yes. We remember Mary and the saints just as you remember your loved ones who passed away....just as you celebrate Memorial Day in remembrance of the soldiers who died for your country.
Fair enough however what of my other three questions in this topic?

2. Prayer to the Saints: If you believe that Christ is the only mediator as you pointed out, then why do you ask your family and friends to pray for you? Why not go directly to God Himself and pray to Him directly?
You might have an argument if that was in fact what I see Catholics doing, however I do not see "Please pray for me" [Not in STEAD of] in any of these prayers.
http://www.catholic....prayer.php?s=31

My Queen and my Mother,
I give myself entirely to you;
and to show my devotion to you,
I consecrate to you this day my eyes,
my ears, my mouth, my heart,
my whole being without reserve.
Wherefore, good Mother,
as I am your own,
keep me, guard me,
as your property and possession.
Amen.

It sounds like that's more than just "asking them to pray for you"...

And even if that's all it was, is this not communicating with the dead, Deut 18:11?

We do not pray to Judas. Judas is nowhere in any of our liturgies with the rest of the Apostles and saints.
So? That didn't answer my question. I know you don't pray to Judas I'm asking why. There is nothing that makes Mary better than Judas because if you believe the Bible is the inspired word of God and is infallible, you must maintain that there is no favoritism among believers and that we are all on equal, sinful, corrupted footing.

The Bible shows that there are people in Heaven. The Scripture is found in Hebrews 21:1. The cloud of witnesses over our head are the people in Heaven.
You cannot arrive at that conclusion in any way at all, it's not in the text. The cloud of witnesses is indeed a reference to past saints however there is nothing that supports them hanging over our head and involved in earth in any way at all. Indeed the MAXIMUM you can gather from this scripture is example-setting... THEREFORE, since these men have paved the way...
Additionally, "over our head" is found nowhere in the original text. You now must resort to adding to scripture in order to prove your position, what does 1 Cor 4:6 say about that?

3 You ask what makes Mary special? It was Christ who honored His mother and Father just as he followed all Ten Commandments. One of the Ten Commandments is to honor your mother and father. Christ was the most perfect son. He honored His Father, who is God and His mother Mary. The word "honor" in Hebrew means to glorify. It was Christ who glorified His mother Mary. All we're doing is following what He did.
We glorify WHOM by living like we should? Certainly not Mary. The purpose of man is to bring glory to God, not Mary. Living by the example Christ set glorifies God, not Mary.
In fact, I will most certainly task you with providing Biblical evidence that Mary is to be glorified.

So once more, what makes Mary better than Judas? Why Mary?

4. You ask do we draw a line between "tradition" and "written." First of all, the tradition we follow is the "Apostolic Traditon." There are two types of traditions mentioned in the Bible. The one that St. Paul spoke about in 2 Th. 2:14 is the Apostolic Tradition. The Apostolic Tradition that was handed down to us from the Apostles themselves is aligned with written Scripture and this is the only tradition we follow.

2 Thessalonians 2:14
Therefore, brethren, stand fast; and hold the TRADITIONS, which you have learned, whether by word, or by our epistle
Firstly, it's verse 15, not 14... Anyway, the Greek used is paradosis which means "transmission", not "traditions". The point of the passage is something that's been taught them, that's been transmitted to them. Is it a tradition? Possibly, but doubtful. Or is it the gospel? Most probably, considering that's exactly what Paul closed the previous verse out with.

St. Paul referred to himself as "father" in 1 Corinthians 4:15.
No, he doesn't. He refers to Timothy as a son and THAT'S IT. Once more you add to the text what is not there. What did Paul say of those that did this, again?

You should grasp the concept of "loving someone like a son" because it still happens today.

The fact that St. Paul entrusted Timothy everything he learned and then instruct Timothy to also entrust faithful men the same teaching so that others would teach others shows that the Apostles DID appoint someone to replace them when they die.
Paul didn't entrust the Gospel message to men?
Here I was thinking that God has given it to all men.........

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK

Whenever I try to explain transubsubstanciation, I always mention that if the consecrate bread and wine were taken to a lab and analyzed they would indeed be shown as bread and wine because this is part of what Thomas Aquinas called the "accidents," it looks like bread, tastes like bread, smells like bread, feels like bread but it ain't bread it's Christ's body. Any tests done in a lab would only show us that Christ's body and blood have truly "resemble" bread and wine. Jesus told us that we must eat and drink the body and blood of the son of man to have eternal life and he refered to himself as the bread of life did he not? 1 Corinthians 11 stresses heavily that the bread and wine are CHrist's body and blood and the need to discern them.

TexUs

Nov 18, 2010
Any tests done in a lab would only show us that Christ's body and blood have truly "resemble" bread and wine.
Bread doesn't bleed.
Bread doesn't breathe.
Bread doesn't speak.
Bread doesn't sweat.
Bread doesn't etc.

Jesus told us that we must eat and drink the body and blood of the son of man to have eternal life and he refered to himself as the bread of life did he not?
So the cross of Christ was and is not sufficient for salvation?
Obviously, you're going to need scriptural backing on that one.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Texus - there is so much to comment on in your posts - I think Selene and I are going to address each one individually and that is going to make it difficult to follow up. I think I will pick on of your questions and we can talk about it.

2. Prayer to the Saints: If you believe that Christ is the only mediator as you pointed out, then why do you ask your family and friends to pray for you? Why not go directly to God Himself and pray to Him directly?

You included a prayer to Mary that appears to be over the top, but is actually quite common in the liturgy and monasteries that hold Mary in high esteem. I understand why you have some concerns about holding Mary up to highly and frankly some groups have been confronted by the Pope for going overboard. Admittedly, it was a real concern for me when I was checking out Catholicism before I joined.so I went beyond the typical Catholic reasoning back into history for answers. Unfortunately, I have two meetings I have to go to right now so I will return later.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house

You might have an argument if that was in fact what I see Catholics doing, however I do not see "Please pray for me" [Not in STEAD of] in any of these prayers.
http://www.catholic....prayer.php?s=31

My Queen and my Mother,
I give myself entirely to you;
and to show my devotion to you,
I consecrate to you this day my eyes,
my ears, my mouth, my heart,
my whole being without reserve.
Wherefore, good Mother,
as I am your own,
keep me, guard me,
as your property and possession.
Amen.

My brother, we follow everything that Jesus did when He was walking on the earth 2000 years ago. Jesus DID submit to His mother Mary. We also do the same thing He did. That was how Jesus glorified His mother, by being subject under her and being obedient to her (See Luke 2:51). When Jesus washed the feet of the disciples, our priests also do the same thing. The Pope and our priests also wash the feet of others.

So? That didn't answer my question. I know you don't pray to Judas I'm asking why. There is nothing that makes Mary better than Judas because if you believe the Bible is the inspired word of God and is infallible, you must maintain that there is no favoritism among believers and that we are all on equal, sinful, corrupted footing.

We don't pray to Judas. We pray for Judas. The angels and Saints in Heaven don't need our prayers because they are already in Heaven; therefore, we ask them to pray for us and for our brothers and sisters like Judas. As for Mary, it was Christ who made her special. One of the Ten Commandments of God is "honor thy mother and father." Christ fulfilled this commandment not just by honoring His Father ONLY. He also honored His mother. If He honored only His Father and not His mother, then He sinned. Jesus was obedient to His mother and honored her like a queen. Jesus was the perfect son for any parent to have. If Jesus did not honor His mother, then He sinned and broke the commandment.

You cannot arrive at that conclusion in any way at all, it's not in the text. The cloud of witnesses is indeed a reference to past saints however there is nothing that supports them hanging over our head and involved in earth in any way at all. Indeed the MAXIMUM you can gather from this scripture is example-setting... THEREFORE, since these men have paved the way...
Additionally, "over our head" is found nowhere in the original text. You now must resort to adding to scripture in order to prove your position, what does 1 Cor 4:6 say about that?

Those clouds of witnesses are the Saints whom we ask to pray for us and whom we speak to. Jesus was able to speak to Moses and Elijah in the Transfiguration despite that Moses was already gone from the earth. We are able to do the same thing because the body of Christ includes all believers in God regardless of where they are on earth or Heaven. We are one. The body of Christ is not divided.

Paul didn't entrust the Gospel message to men?
Here I was thinking that God has given it to all men.........

No, my brother, Christ did not entrust the Gospel to all men because the pagans did not have the Gospel until the Apostles came to them. He entrusted the Gospel only to the Apostles. It was the Apostles who brought it to the Gentiles.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
As a matter of fact, even King David was able to address the Angels in Heaven when he told them to bless the Lord (See Psalm 103:20-21). If David can speak to the Angels in Heaven, then so can we. And we actually do. We ask the Angels to keep watch over us in the same way that you would ask a friend to watch over you if you are ill in the hospital.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bread doesn't bleed.
Bread doesn't breathe.
Bread doesn't speak.
Bread doesn't sweat.
Bread doesn't etc.

So the cross of Christ was and is not sufficient for salvation?
Obviously, you're going to need scriptural backing on that one.

I am not interested in getting into the discussion on the Eucharist, but I did run across this verse:

1 Corinthians 10:16
Is not the cup of thanksgiving for which we give thanks a participation in the blood of Christ? And is not the bread that we break a participation in the body of Christ?

Status
Not open for further replies.