Questions For A Catholic

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anastacia

Oct 23, 2010
My replies to aspen in blue.

[font="tahoma]No, you two have been defending the false doctrines of the Catholic Church.[/font]
[font="tahoma][color="#0000ff"]
[/color][/font]
[font="tahoma][b][color="#8b0000"]And we have been providing scripture

[/color]You both have been making excuses why you do what God hates.[/b]

Oh yes you have heard the truth from me about the Catholic Church. I think some Catholics don't know the extent of what their church teaches. I have proven to you what the Catholics teach...you just don't want to admit it.[/font]
[/color][/font]
[font="tahoma][color="#8b0000"]Anastacia - I didn't want to become Catholic. I was working successfully (although not spiritually satisfied) in a Protestant Church - I had to change my whole focus in life. It was not easy and I spent 2 years trying to agrue my way out of it - I really struggled with my misconceptions of Catholic doctrine - believe me. I left no stone unturned.[/color]
[/font]
[font="tahoma]You said you were in Calvinism...that is a major false doctrine. And instead of searching for God's truth---you searched out different religion's truth.
[/font][/color]
[font="tahoma]I'm not going to stop talking about God's Truth. Anyone can look up in the Bible to see if what I'm saying is true. In fact, I hope that is what they do.[/font]
[font="tahoma]
[/font]
[b][font="Tahoma"]The Bible is a great source of truth. No one is asking you to stop talking about God's truth.

You say the Bible is a great source of truth. The Bible is the only written word of God that human's have. The things your Popes says goes against the Word of God. The Catholic's have Traditions of men. Jesus warned against the traditions of men.
[/font][/b]
Do you want to worship God in the spirit and truth? Or do you want to follow the Catholic teachings?

The Bible says the foundation was laid by the Apostles, and the Prophets, and Jesus Christ as the chief cornerstone. (See Ephesians 2:20)
No Pope or Bishops can add to God’s word. The foundation has be laid.

When the Apostles taught the Gospel… God also testified to it by signs, wonders and various miracles, and gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will. (See Hebrews 2:4; Galatians 3:4-6; 2 Corinthians 12:12; Romans 15:19; Acts 19:11; Acts 8:13; Acts 2:22)

When the Popes add doctrines to the Christian beliefs that aren’t there…there are no signs and miracles.
The oral Tradition of the Catholics is not biblical, and it is against the Word of God.

Peter and the other apostles said: “We must obey God rather than men! (See Acts 5:29)

See what Jesus say about tradition from men.
Matthew 15:3
Jesus replied, “And why do you break the command of God for the sake of your tradition?

Matthew 15:6
he is not to ‘honor his father ‘ with it. Thus you nullify the word of God for the sake of your tradition.

Mark 7:8
You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to the traditions of men.”

Mark 7:9
And he said to them: “You have a fine way of setting aside the commands of God in order to observe your own traditions!

Mark 7:13
Thus you nullify the word of God by your tradition that you have handed down. And you do many things like that.”

[font="tahoma]
[/font][/color][font="tahoma]Then you shouldn't worry about someone losing faith in Jesus because they found out they were in the wrong religion.[/font]
[/font]
[font="tahoma][b][color="#8b0000"]I totally disagree with that. Faith is from God - doctrinal understanding is extra. Yet, destroying someone's doctrine - especially a person in a Protestant or postProtestant religion is very damaging. We think we are doing Mormons a favor by pantsing their doctrine and exposing it for what it is.....most Mormons become atheists.....they do not convert - their faith is shattered.

What?! Faith comes from hearing the word of God! And the Catholic Church teaches things against the Word of God. I love exposing false doctrine. If a Mormon is told the truth about Jesus, and so they leave their false religion, how is that wrong?! If they only become atheists and do not convert....then that is not the fault of someone speaking truth to them! How can you say some of the things you do. I know someone who was in the Mormon religion.....and, the person got saved by Jesus Christ and stayed out of the Mormon religion.
[/b]

I'm not a Protestant. So no, you didn't teach me anything there.lol You can call me a Protestant over and over if you like. I have the same beliefs as what Jesus and the apostles taught. And they are before Catholics and the Protestant movement. I know you think you are insulting me by calling me a Protestant. [/font]
[font="tahoma]
[/font]
[font="tahoma][color="#8b0000"]Protestant is not a bad word - I have many Protestant brothers and sisters in Christ. Once again, anyone who accepts the teaching of sola scriptura is a Protestant. I think a lot of people claim to have the same beliefs as the early church........[/color]

I never said Protestant was a bad word. You don't know what Protestant means. You said "anyone who accepts the teaching of sola scriptura is a Protestant," that is so not so. Protestant means the protestors against the Catholic religion. I go against all false doctrine, whether they are from Catholic or Protestant doctrines.

[/font][font="tahoma]
[/font]
[/quote]

[quote="aspen, post: 98337"]
Here is the answer, once again Anastacia

[font="arial]Catholics call the pope "Holy Father" not as an acknowledgement of his personal state of soul but as an expression of respect for his office as successor to Peter and head of the Church on earth. His is a holy office.[/font]
[font="arial]
[/font]
[font="arial]I am sorry if it is not satisfying - it is the answer.[/font]
[font="arial]
[/font]
[font="arial]Peace
[/font]

Respect God! And not the Pope! You disrespect God to give respect to a sinful man who allow himself to be called "Holy Father"! No you will never ever satisfy with the answers you give. Stop doing what God hates, that is what will be satisfying.

And there is no such thing as "Successor of Peter"! That is a man made doctrine.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Respect God! And not the Pope! You disrespect God to give respect to a sinful man who allow himself to be called "Holy Father"! No you will never ever satisfy with the answers you give. Stop doing what God hates, that is what will be satisfying.

Do you have another question?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So are you the only one calling the shots about what we can discuss on this site?

You can ask anything you want - I am just not going to answer the same questions over and over again - it is boring.

Anastacia

Oct 23, 2010
You can ask anything you want - I am just not going to answer the same questions over and over again - it is boring.

Maybe others aren't bored. Maybe some of my brothers and sisters here are being strengthened in hearing the truth and having falseness exposed.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe others aren't bored. Maybe some of my brothers and sisters here are being strengthened in hearing the truth and having falseness exposed.

What do you want from me, Anastacia? You asked a question and I answered, twice. Not sure what else I can do

Anastacia

Oct 23, 2010
What do you want from me, Anastacia? You asked a question and I answered, twice. Not sure what else I can do

Why do you ask "what do you want from me"? Do what you've got to do. And I'm going to keep exposing false doctrine.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do you ask "what do you want from me"? Do what you've got to do. And I'm going to keep exposing false doctrine.

Well, let me know when you have a question.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
I do not misunderstand the title "vicar of Christ." Don't you know "Pope" means "Father"? This goes agains the commands of Jesus. Not only is the Pope called "Father," but he is also called "Holy Father." Jesus called God "Holy Father." Holy Father is a name only to be used to God in heaven!

Hello Anastacia,

I will be happy to answer your questions and clear up the misconceptions regarding "father" as Jesus said in Matthew 23:9.

Matthew 23:8-10
But you are not to be called rabbi, for you have one teacher, and you are all brethren. And call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven. Neither be called masters, for you have one master, the Christ.

As you can see from Sacred Scripture, Jesus said, call no man your teacher, father, and master. It is not just father. Then in many places of the Bible, we see Jesus calling Abraham "father" (See John 8:56). We also see in the Bible that the Apostles call men "father" (see Romans 4:1 and Romans 4:16). We see in the Bible that St. Paul also calls himself a "teacher" and a "father" (See 2 Timothy 1:11 and 1 Corinthians 4:15). Therefore, since the Apostles called others and even themselves "teachers" and "fathers," then there must be a different meaning to what Jesus says in Matthew 23:8-10. If one reads further into the biblical passage, the answer is found there. It is actually found in the next verse (Matthew 23:11-12). Jesus is simply telling His disciples to be careful that when taking these titles, one should not use them with pride. In other words, it is okay to use the title "teacher, "father" and "master" so long as one does not use it with pride.

You may not use the title "father" when referring to your pastors; yet, you do use the word "father" when referring to your dad. You also use the word "teacher" when referring to your child's teacher. The word "doctor" is another word for teacher, and that is a word that is also used. Again, if you are to take Jesus' words literally, one should not be calling any man or human "teacher," "father," and "master." However, since the Apostles used these words because they understood Jesus clearly, we follow their example. Thus, we are not going against the Bible at all.

As for the name "Holy Father," I agree with you that this is used only in reference for God. However, when referring to the Pope, we are not addressing him as God. We call the Pope "father" because the Latin name for Pope is father, and as I've shown you through Scripture, it is okay to call a man "father" just as it is okay to call a man "teacher." The Pope is called "holy" because he was called by God to sit in the chair of the Apostle Peter and all the callings of God are holy. In the same way, we are called "the sons and daughters of God." Our brothers are the "sons of God," but this does not mean that they are Jesus for there is only one "Son of God." We are all children of God. We are God's family.

Here is the meaning of vicar.

From dictionary.net

Vicar \Vic"ar\ (v[i^]k"[~e]r), n. [OE. vicar, viker, vicair, F. vicaire, fr. L. vicarius. See Vicarious.]

1. One deputed or authorized to perform the functions of another; a substitute in office; a deputy. [R.]

[1913 Webster]

The Catholic Pope is not a vicar of Christ. Jesus did not leave us as orphans....believers are given the Holy Spirit.

The Pope is the Vicar of Christ. The Pope's full title is: Bishop of Rome, Vicar of Jesus Christ, Successor of the Prince of the Apostles, Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church, Patriarch of the West, Primate of Italy, Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman Province, and Soverign of the City of Vatican. As you can see from his full title that the Pope is not just a spiritual leader of the Catholic faith, but also a Head of state. He has the same status as the Prime Minister of Israel.

I agree that God did not leave us orphans. He gave us both the Holy Spirit and His Church (an assembly whose Head is Christ). Christ told the Apostles to go out into the world and spread the Gospel. The Apostles understood that they would not be able to reach the entire world because 1) there were only 12 of them at that time and 2) they can't live forever. The spreading of the Gospels did not end when the Apostles died. They appointed successors to carry on the mission of Christ, and that is also in Sacred Scripture:

2 Timothy 2:2 and what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.

As you can see from Sacred Scripture, St. Paul handed everything he learned to Timothy and told Timothy to entrust to faithful men the same thing so they would also teach others. Timothy was a successor of the Apostle Paul. In the same way, the rest of the Apostles also had successors. I hope that answers your question.

In Christ,
Selene

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Where does it tell us in scripture to pray to/with Mary?

The Pope is the Vicar of Christ. The Pope's full title is: Bishop of Rome, Vicar of Jesus Christ, Successor of the Prince of the Apostles, Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church, Patriarch of the West, Primate of Italy, Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman Province, and Soverign of the City of Vatican.

Can't see any of this stuff in the scriptures. I think the rcc made it up to be superior to everyone else..

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house

The Pope is the Vicar of Christ. The Pope's full title is: Bishop of Rome, Vicar of Jesus Christ, Successor of the Prince of the Apostles, Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church, Patriarch of the West, Primate of Italy, Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman Province, and Soverign of the City of Vatican.

Can't see any of this stuff in the scriptures. I think the rcc made it up to be superior to everyone else..

As I pointed out in an earlier post, one needs to only look up the definition for the word "Vicar." According to Dictionary.com, vicar is defined as the following:

Church of England . a. a person acting as priest of a parish in place of the rector, or as representative of a religious community to which tithes belong. b. the priest of a parish the tithes of which are impropriated and who receives only the smaller tithes or a salary. 2. Protestant Episcopal Church . a. a member of the clergy whose sole or chief charge is a chapel dependent on the church of a parish. b. a bishop's assistant in charge of a church or mission. 3. Roman Catholic Church . an ecclesiastic representing the pope or a bishop. 4. a person who acts in place of another; substitute. 5. a person who is authorized to perform the functions of another; deputy: God's vicar on earth.

Martin W.

Jan 16, 2009
Winnipeg Canada
Aspen

I have a confession to make

I am not Catholic, but I feel like I am in confessional. Never been there before. .... Here goes.

Hey Aspen .... it is not as bad as you think .... First I confess I have read the first few the pages of your thread. Mostly I want to confess that I am busy , and have not read the last few pages. Please forgive me. Amen.

I wish to thank you for the tone of your thread , and the tone of all your posts. You have a nice style that tends to avoid confrontation. You also have well thought out replies. Sometimes you reply so quick , it makes me think it came from your own words and mind. I respect people who have an internal understanding that can be typed out on a keypad. Not many people do .

Now that I have you all warmed up , and I am pretending to be in a Catholic confessional and all , here is my true experience with the Catholic church.

I became a christian outside of the church system. I belong to no denomination , no church , and never intend to change. I attend at random many church services. I heard a lot of Catholic bashing. I heard about all the golden candlesticks, the rituals , Mary , and Mary , and Mary. I heard they do not read from the bible. So on and so forth.. I heard it all.

Some days I was considering finding a robe , polishing myself up real good , and walk into a Catholic church like I owned the place or something. I love walking into places like I own them or something. I wanted to set them all straight. After all , I knew everything. I was a born again non-Catholic full of the Holy Spirit christian. It doesnt get any better than that right ? . Just ask around.

I am not a phony , I do not fake things with any degree of success , I do not have a robe , and besides , I knew the moment I set foot inside their door , they would spot me. I needed a better strategy. I decided to paint a car.

My younger brother was also a car guy like me. He had a friend named Danny. Danny was also a car guy who also wanted to play music. While getting a car ready to paint Danny dropped by and invited me to hear him sing next Sunday morning at his church , which of course was catholic , which of course I was quick to tell him I was not a catholic , and not interested in going there.

Then he asked me again. This time I listened carefully. Turns out he mostly wanted me to hear his music. Mostly he wanted some friends in the audience. To perform in front of a crowd can be intimidating. If he was bold enough to get on stage , I figured I was bold enough to come watch him. I said yes.

It was one of the most christian church services I have ever attended. And they read scripture . And taught scripture. And they did not worship Mary. And nobody wore robes. It disarmed me completely. Never again will I go by somebody else's opinion on something they really know nothing about. I am talking about Protestant Christians bashing Catholics.. I fall under the label of protestant Christian. I no longer bash that which I do not know. I was humbled. I snooped around a bit and found they ran the only soup kitchen for the homeless and hungry in that small city for almost a hundred years. If you were not homeless and hungry you would never know about the charity they had. They did not advertise it. They just provided.

By the way , come to think of it I also liked Dan's music.

My friend Dan Dionne has been working in Northern Canada since I last saw him in the 1980's He is associated with the Oblate Youth Ministries and still plays his music. I keep asking his family when he is coming home for a visit. His dad told me that when he gets holidays , he is so exhausted from all the work he does , he sometimes stays just stays home to rest on his holidays.

True confession.
Forgive me Lord for not helping the needy like Dan does.

I found his picture
I think he is in St. Albert ,
Alberta Canada

Arnie said to say hi and God bless you Dan
and everything you strive to do.

Martin W.

Attachments

• My freind Dan Dion.jpeg
    My freind Dan Dion.jpeg
    7.5 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Selene

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
Oh we do Aspen!

We've got Benedictines, Franciscans and Dominicans. A cou0le of years ago I visited a local monastry called the, "community of the resurrection." Though not Benedictine in name they floowed the rules of St Benedict. I was shown around by one of te brothers, I attenended mid day Mass (yes Anglicans have Mass too) in the monastic church and recieved the sacrament and then ate with the Brthren in the refectory. I will be going back there in January as I am doing a short course on Theology. The site of the moanstry is also a Theological college. I might consider a retreat in a Benedictine house some time in the near future.

Anastacia

Oct 23, 2010
Aspen

I have a confession to make

I am not Catholic, but I feel like I am in confessional. Never been there before. .... Here goes.

Hey Aspen .... it is not as bad as you think .... First I confess I have read the first few the pages of your thread. Mostly I want to confess that I am busy , and have not read the last few pages. Please forgive me. Amen.

I wish to thank you for the tone of your thread , and the tone of all your posts. You have a nice style that tends to avoid confrontation. You also have well thought out replies. Sometimes you reply so quick , it makes me think it came from your own words and mind. I respect people who have an internal understanding that can be typed out on a keypad. Not many people do .

Now that I have you all warmed up , and I am pretending to be in a Catholic confessional and all , here is my true experience with the Catholic church.

I became a christian outside of the church system. I belong to no denomination , no church , and never intend to change. I attend at random many church services. I heard a lot of Catholic bashing. I heard about all the golden candlesticks, the rituals , Mary , and Mary , and Mary. I heard they do not read from the bible. So on and so forth.. I heard it all.

Some days I was considering finding a robe , polishing myself up real good , and walk into a Catholic church like I owned the place or something. I love walking into places like I own them or something. I wanted to set them all straight. After all , I knew everything. I was a born again non-Catholic full of the Holy Spirit christian. It doesnt get any better than that right ? . Just ask around.

I am not a phony , I do not fake things with any degree of success , I do not have a robe , and besides , I knew the moment I set foot inside their door , they would spot me. I needed a better strategy. I decided to paint a car.

My younger brother was also a car guy like me. He had a friend named Danny. Danny was also a car guy who also wanted to play music. While getting a car ready to paint Danny dropped by and invited me to hear him sing next Sunday morning at his church , which of course was catholic , which of course I was quick to tell him I was not a catholic , and not interested in going there.

Then he asked me again. This time I listened carefully. Turns out he mostly wanted me to hear his music. Mostly he wanted some friends in the audience. To perform in front of a crowd can be intimidating. If he was bold enough to get on stage , I figured I was bold enough to come watch him. I said yes.

It was one of the most christian church services I have ever attended. And they read scripture . And taught scripture. And they did not worship Mary. And nobody wore robes. It disarmed me completely. Never again will I go by somebody else's opinion on something they really know nothing about. I am talking about Protestant Christians bashing Catholics.. I fall under the label of protestant Christian. I no longer bash that which I do not know. I was humbled. I snooped around a bit and found they ran the only soup kitchen for the homeless and hungry in that small city for almost a hundred years. If you were not homeless and hungry you would never know about the charity they had. They did not advertise it. They just provided.

By the way , come to think of it I also liked Dan's music.

My friend Dan Dionne has been working in Northern Canada since I last saw him in the 1980's He is associated with the Oblate Youth Ministries and still plays his music. I keep asking his family when he is coming home for a visit. His dad told me that when he gets holidays , he is so exhausted from all the work he does , he sometimes stays just stays home to rest on his holidays.

True confession.
Forgive me Lord for not helping the needy like Dan does.

I found his picture
I think he is in St. Albert ,
Alberta Canada

Arnie said to say hi and God bless you Dan
and everything you strive to do.

Martin W.

Then I heard another voice from heaven say: "Come out of her, my people, so that you will not share in her sins, so that you will not receive any of her plagues; Revelations 18:4

What do you think Jesus means when he says that?

I guess nice sounding music, casual clothes, and some good works giving some food to the poor makes up for going against the Word of God. Never. Glad you had a nice day. And too bad you have to put down Christians who stand up for God's Truth.

Anastacia

Oct 23, 2010
Hello Anastacia,

I will be happy to answer your questions and clear up the misconceptions regarding "father" as Jesus said in Matthew 23:9.

Matthew 23:8-10
But you are not to be called rabbi, for you have one teacher, and you are all brethren. And call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven. Neither be called masters, for you have one master, the Christ.

As you can see from Sacred Scripture, Jesus said, call no man your teacher, father, and master. It is not just father. Then in many places of the Bible, we see Jesus calling Abraham "father" (See John 8:56). We also see in the Bible that the Apostles call men "father" (see Romans 4:1 and Romans 4:16). We see in the Bible that St. Paul also calls himself a "teacher" and a "father" (See 2 Timothy 1:11 and 1 Corinthians 4:15). Therefore, since the Apostles called others and even themselves "teachers" and "fathers," then there must be a different meaning to what Jesus says in Matthew 23:8-10. If one reads further into the biblical passage, the answer is found there. It is actually found in the next verse (Matthew 23:11-12). Jesus is simply telling His disciples to be careful that when taking these titles, one should not use them with pride. In other words, it is okay to use the title "teacher, "father" and "master" so long as one does not use it with pride.

You may not use the title "father" when referring to your pastors; yet, you do use the word "father" when referring to your dad. You also use the word "teacher" when referring to your child's teacher. The word "doctor" is another word for teacher, and that is a word that is also used. Again, if you are to take Jesus' words literally, one should not be calling any man or human "teacher," "father," and "master." However, since the Apostles used these words because they understood Jesus clearly, we follow their example. Thus, we are not going against the Bible at all.

As for the name "Holy Father," I agree with you that this is used only in reference for God. However, when referring to the Pope, we are not addressing him as God. We call the Pope "father" because the Latin name for Pope is father, and as I've shown you through Scripture, it is okay to call a man "father" just as it is okay to call a man "teacher." The Pope is called "holy" because he was called by God to sit in the chair of the Apostle Peter and all the callings of God are holy. In the same way, we are called "the sons and daughters of God." Our brothers are the "sons of God," but this does not mean that they are Jesus for there is only one "Son of God." We are all children of God. We are God's family.

The Pope is the Vicar of Christ. The Pope's full title is: Bishop of Rome, Vicar of Jesus Christ, Successor of the Prince of the Apostles, Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church, Patriarch of the West, Primate of Italy, Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman Province, and Soverign of the City of Vatican. As you can see from his full title that the Pope is not just a spiritual leader of the Catholic faith, but also a Head of state. He has the same status as the Prime Minister of Israel.

I agree that God did not leave us orphans. He gave us both the Holy Spirit and His Church (an assembly whose Head is Christ). Christ told the Apostles to go out into the world and spread the Gospel. The Apostles understood that they would not be able to reach the entire world because 1) there were only 12 of them at that time and 2) they can't live forever. The spreading of the Gospels did not end when the Apostles died. They appointed successors to carry on the mission of Christ, and that is also in Sacred Scripture:

2 Timothy 2:2 and what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.

As you can see from Sacred Scripture, St. Paul handed everything he learned to Timothy and told Timothy to entrust to faithful men the same thing so they would also teach others. Timothy was a successor of the Apostle Paul. In the same way, the rest of the Apostles also had successors. I hope that answers your question.

In Christ,
Selene

Selene, Once again you can't seem to see the spiritual part of "do not call anyone on earth Father." You compare God's command of our not to make any image....to don't make toys for your kids. You couldn't get anymore unspiritual than that.

Jesus didn't want us to have a spiritual Father over us....besides God, the Father in heaven. The Catholic Pope is the Catholic's spiritual Father.

And you bring up 2 Timothy 2:2 to try to prove your false doctrine of "Apostolic Succession"?! Apostolic Succession is not biblical. And it is ridiculous to try to prove Apostolic Succession from Peter---from the apostle Paul!!!

Sounds like you and the Catholic Church think the Word of God is irrelevant.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Selene, Once again you can't seem to see the spiritual part of "do not call anyone on earth Father." You compare God's command of our not to make any image....to don't make toys for your kids. You couldn't get anymore unspiritual than that.

Jesus didn't want us to have a spiritual Father over us....besides God, the Father in heaven. The Catholic Pope is the Catholic's spiritual Father.

And you bring up 2 Timothy 2:2 to try to prove your false doctrine of "Apostolic Succession"?! Apostolic Succession is not biblical. And it is ridiculous to try to prove Apostolic Succession from Peter---from the apostle Paul!!!

Sounds like you and the Catholic Church think the Word of God is irrelevant.

Here is the problem:

1. We all call our dads, father (who is sent up as the spiritual head of the household).
2. We all take pictures of our love ones - creating images of people who will or already are in heaven.

So, does that mean we are all sinning? Or that God may have meant something more subtle when He warned us against using these terms?
I believe the warning against calling people father or teacher is a warning against assigning authority to people who are not worthy. It is sort of like a good parent warning a child not to join a cult when they go off to college, or to not drop out of school completely to go follow the grateful dead around the country.

Here are three early church fathers that believed in Apostolic succession:

Clement of Rome
Our Apostles knew through our Lord Jesus Christ that there would be strife for the office of bishop. For this reason, therefore, having received perfect foreknowledge, they appointed those who have already been mentioned, and afterwards added the further provision that, if they should die, other approved men should succeed to their ministry (Letter to the Corinthians 44:1 [A.D. 95]).​
Ignatius of Antioch

You must all follow the bishop as Jesus Christ follows the Father, and the presbytery as you would the Apostles. Reverence the deacons as you would the command of God. Let no one do anything of concern to the Church without the bishop. Let that be considered a valid Eucharist which is celebrated by the bishop, or by one whom he appoints. Wherever the bishop appears, let the people be there; just as wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church (Letter to the Smyrnaeans 8:1 [A.D. 110]).​
Irenaeus

It is possible, then, for everyone in every Church, who may wish to know the truth, to contemplate the tradition of the Apostles which has been made known throughout the whole world. And we are in a position to enumerate those who were instituted bishops by the Apostles, and their successors to our own times: men who neither knew nor taught anything like these heretics rave about. For if the Apostles had known hidden mysteries which they taught to the elite secretly and apart from the rest, they would have handed them down especially to those very ones to whom they were committing the self-same Churches. For surely they wished all those and their successors to be perfect and without reproach, to whom they handed on their authority (Against Heresies 3:3:1 [A.D. 180-199]).​
Now, before you dismiss these early leaders of the church because they are not found in scripture, remember you claim that you follow the same practices as the early church. These men taught in the early church.

Anastacia

Oct 23, 2010
Here is the problem:

1. We all call our dads, father (who is sent up as the spiritual head of the household).
2. We all take pictures of our love ones - creating images of people who will or already are in heaven.

So, does that mean we are all sinning? Or that God may have meant something more subtle when He warned us against using these terms?
I believe the warning against calling people father or teacher is a warning against assigning authority to people who are not worthy. It is sort of like a good parent warning a child not to join a cult when they go off to college, or to not drop out of school completely to go follow the grateful dead around the country.

Here are three early church fathers that believed in Apostolic succession:

Clement of Rome
Our Apostles knew through our Lord Jesus Christ that there would be strife for the office of bishop. For this reason, therefore, having received perfect foreknowledge, they appointed those who have already been mentioned, and afterwards added the further provision that, if they should die, other approved men should succeed to their ministry (Letter to the Corinthians 44:1 [A.D. 95]).​
Ignatius of Antioch

You must all follow the bishop as Jesus Christ follows the Father, and the presbytery as you would the Apostles. Reverence the deacons as you would the command of God. Let no one do anything of concern to the Church without the bishop. Let that be considered a valid Eucharist which is celebrated by the bishop, or by one whom he appoints. Wherever the bishop appears, let the people be there; just as wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church (Letter to the Smyrnaeans 8:1 [A.D. 110]).​
Irenaeus

It is possible, then, for everyone in every Church, who may wish to know the truth, to contemplate the tradition of the Apostles which has been made known throughout the whole world. And we are in a position to enumerate those who were instituted bishops by the Apostles, and their successors to our own times: men who neither knew nor taught anything like these heretics rave about. For if the Apostles had known hidden mysteries which they taught to the elite secretly and apart from the rest, they would have handed them down especially to those very ones to whom they were committing the self-same Churches. For surely they wished all those and their successors to be perfect and without reproach, to whom they handed on their authority (Against Heresies 3:3:1 [A.D. 180-199]).​
Now, before you dismiss these early leaders of the church because they are not found in scripture, remember you claim that you follow the same practices as the early church. These men taught in the early church.

All YOUR "early church fathers" writings are not in the Bible.

And, according to your explanation, Jesus really meant: Do not call anyone on earth Father, unless they really are worthy to be called that.

Jesus told his disciples not to call anyone on earth Father----that they were "brothers"!

The Catholic parishioners not only call their priests "Father," the priests call each other "Father"! Again, Jesus says they are "brothers."

I guess you think man's commands and rules are better than Jesus'?

Status
Not open for further replies.