Raising Minimum Wage

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Minimum wage is not something that most jobs pay anymore. We have a huge labor shortage in my area. Most of the lowest skill jobs start at $11/hr. That's for a greeter at walmart or the kid to shove groceries in a bag at the grocery store.
Probably the kid at the fast food joint to make you a burger or taco.

Broom pushers start at $12 and go up to $14.

That's $18.30/hr. Aussie dollars.
Good point JohnDB. I have two part time jobs as a cashier. I think I'm pretty good at it. Management seems to be happy with me and they would give me more hours if I asked. But I'm earning $11 an $13 at them. I worked up to the $11 one but stated at $13 at the other.

Reactions: JohnDB

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm going to try and make a comment here... LOL... I am feeling rather paranoid because it seems everything I say gets picked apart..
You made good points... But this is off topic: I hope you never be afraid to make tour point! If it gets picked apart, so be it. You then fix it pr fight it, and it becomes stronger.

Iron sharpens iron, gold must be tried in the fire and the wise hearken unto counsel. In other words, don't let it stop you!

Reactions: JohnDB

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting...

I remember seeing the minimum wage for the USA a few years back... I was blow away by how low it was...
When you refer to "other countries" you probably mean Asia and other places but certainly not here cos the minimum wage is $19.84 here...

I had another look now and found that the minimum wage for a full time employee in America is only $7.25 p/h...
WOW... Aussies get more on the doll...

Thats only a gross weekly income of $275. Deduct 20% tax and your left with $220 for a weeks work... Damn... U guys are actually competing with wages in China... They earn about $200 a week...

How is anyone supposed to live off $220??? Its not even enough to pay the rent...

Meanwhile, lets take a closer look at the employer who profits $1000p/h for the labour of his employee who he pays $7.25...
That is just criminal. Its as close to slavery as you can get making the rich get richer and the poor get poorer...

America is competing with countries like China, etc. Australia is competing against countries like Germany and Japan... Instead of reducing our quality of products and wage to Chinas level we kept the quality of our products high...
So if u want a cheap product u buy Chinese or American made but if you want a quality product u look to Germany, Australia and Japan...

The governments job is to govern for the people but that isn't the case anymore, especially over in the states...
The concerns for the people have been replaced by the ability for the government to make money...
This is yet another example of the failure of capitalism for the average person. Capitalism was successful before the elites got too greedy...

Its illegal for me to take $200 from you, its called theft.
But i can take $200 from you if i give u something that cost me $1... Thats still theft

Hosea 12:7-8
"A merchant, in whose hands are false balances,
He loves to oppress.
And Ephraim said, “Surely I have become rich,
I have found wealth for myself;
In all my labors they will find in me
No iniquity, which would be sin.”

Proverbs 20:10
"Differing weights and differing measures,
Both of them are abominable to the Lord."

Proverbs 11:1
"A false balance is an abomination to the Lord,
But a just weight is His delight."

Proverbs 16:11
"A just balance and scales belong to the Lord;
All the weights of the bag are His concern."

Amos 8:4-6
"Hear this, you who trample the needy, to do away with the humble of the land, saying,
“When will the new moon be over,
So that we may sell grain,
And the sabbath, that we may open the wheat market,
To make the bushel smaller and the shekel bigger,
And to cheat with dishonest scales,
So as to buy the helpless for money
And the needy for a pair of sandals,
And that we may sell the refuse of the wheat?”

Reactions: Cristo Rei

WaterSong

Nov 9, 2020
Kansas City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Joe Biden has promised to raise minimum wage as soon as he is in office. (If he can)

Why does he care so much about this?
It's artificial pricing for labor...will absolutely cause inflation and many jobs and businesses will go overseas because of it as labor is much cheaper there.

And where Joe (as does any Democrat) refuses to admit this is the goal...it very much is the goal. He is sending jobs overseas or at least over the border.

Also it gives labor unions another boost in the arm as they usually have contracts for labor that are based on the minimum wage.

The average family household in America runs off of two salaries making @ $45,000 US. for a total income of about $90K. But in certain areas there exists very low skill jobs like furniture manufacturing or assembly line type jobs...
Usually these low skill jobs are also environmentally unfriendly. (Leather tanning)
These jobs evaporate when minimum wage gets raised. Because if a widget costs $80 each to make in America it only will cost $11 each with overseas manufacture.
Of course these widgets will sell for the exact same price as always...And somebody else's front yard gets all the sludge from making it.
But also...the "somebody else" gets a job building it.
Much of the world $9,000-$12,000 US is a year's salary...they don't purchase as many commodities (consistent price around the world) as Americans on a consumer level. Because wages are so much lower. And where $9-12K won't buy luxury food and lifestyle...75% of the world lives on rice and beans of some sort...and is happy to have the job.
When there aren't any jobs the gangs rule the streets. Having to pay a bunch of thugs for the "privilege" to pick through garbage for anything of value to sell...

Now here in America the service jobs suffer the most. Automated Ordering and online ordering for fast food or retail goods help cut costs immensely.
If Amazon could get a robot to deliver your purchases...it would.

Concerts roadies and hotel cleaning staff suffer...so does the quality of service because higher forced pay doesn't equate to better service. A high paid moron is still a moron.

But the higher wages makes shipping go up, foreign policy becomes much easier too.
Why is he doing this? The more you make the more they take. (Taxes)

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Joe Biden has promised to raise minimum wage as soon as he is in office. (If he can)

It's artificial pricing for labor...will absolutely cause inflation and many jobs and businesses will go overseas because of it as labor is much cheaper there.

And where Joe (as does any Democrat) refuses to admit this is the goal...it very much is the goal. He is sending jobs overseas or at least over the border.

Also it gives labor unions another boost in the arm as they usually have contracts for labor that are based on the minimum wage.

The average family household in America runs off of two salaries making @ $45,000 US. for a total income of about $90K. But in certain areas there exists very low skill jobs like furniture manufacturing or assembly line type jobs...
Usually these low skill jobs are also environmentally unfriendly. (Leather tanning)
These jobs evaporate when minimum wage gets raised. Because if a widget costs $80 each to make in America it only will cost $11 each with overseas manufacture.
Of course these widgets will sell for the exact same price as always...And somebody else's front yard gets all the sludge from making it.
Much of the world $9,000-$12,000 US is a year's salary...they don't purchase as many commodities (consistent price around the world) as Americans on a consumer level. Because wages are so much lower. And where $9-12K won't buy luxury food and lifestyle...75% of the world lives on rice and beans of some sort...and is happy to have the job.
When there aren't any jobs the gangs rule the streets. Having to pay a bunch of thugs for the "privilege" to pick through garbage for anything of value to sell...

Now here in America the service jobs suffer the most. Automated Ordering and online ordering for fast food or retail goods help cut costs immensely.

Concerts roadies and hotel cleaning staff suffer...so does the quality of service because higher forced pay doesn't equate to better service. A high paid moron is still a moron.

But the higher wages makes shipping go up, foreign policy becomes much easier too.

Just one mistake in your post.

Most minimum wage jobs are in the service sectors. Most are like restaurant and fast food and convenience store and grocery store clerks etc.

these were never designed to be career jobs, but entry level jobs, jobs to earn a second income, people who only need a small paying part time job. etc.

these jobs don't disappear overseas, they just disappear.

More and more supermarkets in my area have self serve checkouts now. that is far less cash register people working. Convenience stores have pay at teh pump, less workers needed there!

the more teh minimum wage goes up, teh fewer workers small businesses can have. A privately owned pizza sho will let go of a few people because his margins are thin now and arbitrarily increasing the salaries for many of his workers by a total of about $400/week can mean supporting their family or not!

No we will see more mechanization, more automation, fewer people working more hours etc/etc/ Seattle hikes their minimum wage and at first jobs were stable or even rose as little. Now 6 years later many jobs are forever gone and fewer people are working fewer hours and owners are working more and longer to make ends meet to absorb their costs in the wage hike.

While I like to see people earn more money, I also know if wages at McDonalds go up $2-3 /hour more, A big mac will rise to $7-8 bucks and fewer will be sold. Prices will rise in many sectors, some by fairly large % and peoples purchasing power will stay teh same as it was without the raise or in some cases go down!

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just one mistake in your post.

Most minimum wage jobs are in the service sectors. Most are like restaurant and fast food and convenience store and grocery store clerks etc.

these were never designed to be career jobs, but entry level jobs, jobs to earn a second income, people who only need a small paying part time job. etc.

these jobs don't disappear overseas, they just disappear.

More and more supermarkets in my area have self serve checkouts now. that is far less cash register people working. Convenience stores have pay at teh pump, less workers needed there!

the more teh minimum wage goes up, teh fewer workers small businesses can have. A privately owned pizza sho will let go of a few people because his margins are thin now and arbitrarily increasing the salaries for many of his workers by a total of about $400/week can mean supporting their family or not!

No we will see more mechanization, more automation, fewer people working more hours etc/etc/ Seattle hikes their minimum wage and at first jobs were stable or even rose as little. Now 6 years later many jobs are forever gone and fewer people are working fewer hours and owners are working more and longer to make ends meet to absorb their costs in the wage hike.

While I like to see people earn more money, I also know if wages at McDonalds go up $2-3 /hour more, A big mac will rise to $7-8 bucks and fewer will be sold. Prices will rise in many sectors, some by fairly large % and peoples purchasing power will stay teh same as it was without the raise or in some cases go down!

Oh I know...I covered this in later posts.

I was discussing factory minimum wage jobs like mattress making or furniture manufacturing. IKEA furniture is cheap.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Some of the newer ones don't even have the settings you are talking about.
You set it for the type of metal you are welding and that's it...auto sensors do the rest.

Ah yea i know what you mean... Turn one dial and it increases the wire speed and amps... But me no like... Their crap...
There are heaps of parameters that aren't being taken into account and are fixed. Those machines are more for home use or basic kind of stuff... I prefer the two dial MIG. Sometimes the machines are too smart and will do its own thing rather than do what you want it to do

And not that expensive either. I was amazed at how inexpensive the portables were anymore. The filler wire and gasses weren't cheap...but the unit itself was.

LoL ye the price of argon is a killer... Ye they make machines small enough to carry now for a grand or two

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
LoL! I just used a converter :p:p
Which makes you WAY smarter than me... because I did not think of that... HA... Must be the New Zealand fresh air...

Going off topic... Do you have lots of snakes???

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Furniture making is definitely not low skilled....

And

Raising the minimum wage is more about fairness than anything else I believe. And also if the minimum wage is raised there should be more money circulating around the country, if people will support the local economy more that is....

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Which makes you WAY smarter than me... because I did not think of that... HA... Must be the New Zealand fresh air...

Going off topic... Do you have lots of snakes???
Ohhh you are so funny!! :D:D:D We don't have snakes in New Zealand. The most vicious creature we have in our country is the wild boar [introduced into our country] but most hunters love them for game and they are good eating. :)

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
For a very short ( and I mean short ) time... Ontario tried an experiment to implement a basic income plan with the hope of eradicating poverty. It suggested that all people should be entitled to income of 1500.00 ( I rounded it off ).... The pilot project involved three cities... however... the program was cancelled within a few months because the government party changed and shut it down.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Furniture making is definitely not low skilled....

And Raising the minimum wage is more about fairness than anything else I believe. And also if the minimum wage is raised there should be more money circulating around the country, if people will support the local economy more that is....
Really? I wouldn't have thought so! :eek: we call them cabinet makers here....

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Ohhh you are so funny!! :D:D:D We don't have snakes in New Zealand. The most vicious creature we have in our country is the wild boar [introduced into our country] but most hunters love them for game and they are good eating. :)
Thank you for calming my fears... LOL

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

How about the New Zealand fresh water eel... Known to attack and eat humans...