Raising Minimum Wage

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand what you are saying. Yet hiking minimum wage is the most ineffective way of getting more money to workers as it also causes an increase in expenses at every level. Cost of living goes up nullifying the wage increase. I would propose instead that we teach workers in training programs to more consistently move up the ranks and make more money with training and seniority. This way as they make more money they are staying ahead of the cost of living curve.

Raising America's Minimum Wage is to the benefit other countries with economic aid...it's said to be for a living wage for the poor...but that's just absolutely not true.

It moves jobs to other countries needing the jobs. It does nothing to help US citizens...never has in the past. Still won't in the future. It does create inflation for most services.

That's it...

Reactions: Pisteuo

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would propose instead that we teach workers in training programs to more consistently move up the ranks and make more money with training and seniority

There are the public school systems and Unemployment centers that do this very thing...
Problem is that when many people "blew off" any actual real learning after the 5th grade and public schools became a daycare social club...no one noticed or cared. Yes the education necessary to succeed in life was available and offered, but not requisite to graduate.
Community College education is not much better than a high school diploma. Again the same scenario as high school but with older students. If you want to learn you can...but if you just want the piece of paper you can have that too.

But in both scenarios that still doesn't mean that you are employable compared to those who did actually learn.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As a construction Electrician I get apprentices left and right that I have to train to become a decent hand.
Most don't make it.
The first thing I have them ALL do is use their stupid cell phones to google up trigonometry, algebra, and polar addition concepts.
And then expect them to understand the concepts... because you can't get the money if you can't do basic math.
And I have to use those concepts to explain how to apply them to the job they pay us to do.

Most can't get past the fractions on the tape measure.
The real primadonnas get upset that the calculator on their cell phones don't do fractions. They look for the apps that do the math for them...never once understanding that it's actually better to do it all in your head because of the cognitive functions are needed more than the simple math.

Alvertsky

Jan 10, 2021
Corolla NC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Raising America's Minimum Wage is to the benefit other countries with economic aid...it's said to be for a living wage for the poor...but that's just absolutely not true.

It moves jobs to other countries needing the jobs. It does nothing to help US citizens...never has in the past. Still won't in the future. It does create inflation for most services.

That's it...
So are you in favor of eliminating the minimum wage

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So are you in favor of eliminating the minimum wage
No...
Because a few individuals would definitely take advantage in the short term of people desperate for a job. Unintentionally but still take advantage of a situation where jobs were in short supply.

Available Labor Supply is one of many considerations for any factory build or expansion program.

Florida Sugar cane harvesting is a good example of this. The farmers prefer manual harvesting of cane over machine harvesting because of the root stock that the machines destroy. But they will only pay for less than the limit of the financial benefit for the total amount of labor. And if they can't hire enough workers for that fixed sum then they will machine harvest the crop.

It costs money and annual crop losses to replant the root stock for sugar cane. That equates to an amount of money over the price of manual harvesting. That's what they will pay for labor to harvest the crop.

Alvertsky

Jan 10, 2021
Corolla NC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No...
Because a few individuals would definitely take advantage in the short term of people desperate for a job. Unintentionally but still take advantage of a situation where jobs were in short supply.

Available Labor Supply is one of many considerations for any factory build or expansion program.

Florida Sugar cane harvesting is a good example of this. The farmers prefer manual harvesting of cane over machine harvesting because of the root stock that the machines destroy. But they will only pay for less than the limit of the financial benefit for the total amount of labor. And if they can't hire enough workers for that fixed sum then they will machine harvest the crop.

It costs money and annual crop losses to replant the root stock for sugar cane. That equates to an amount of money over the price of manual harvesting. That's what they will pay for labor to harvest the crop.
Manual cutting of sugar cane should be illegal, or if not every person doing this should get at least 20 dollars an hour

Seriously too

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Manual cutting of sugar cane should be illegal, or if not every person doing this should get at least 20 dollars an hour

Seriously too

Well...if you were the guy who owned the field and someone came to you offering to harvest it manually for only a little more than what it would cost to mechanically harvest it and you get the benefits of a larger crop next year...

Awfully hard to turn down that opportunity.

And that's how it works.

It usually isn't a large corporation doing such things...it's small time farmers with 50-100 acres of crops.

I know that I will have to hire people to harvest a crop when I purchase my retirement hobby farm. Everything from pecans to strawberries. The money is split between the harvesters and myself. (Of course I get the lion's share of the money)

But that's the economics of a small business.
I won't pay $100 for a crop only worth $50...I'd go broke.

Alvertsky

Jan 10, 2021
Corolla NC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well...if you were the guy who owned the field and someone came to you offering to harvest it manually for only a little more than what it would cost to mechanically harvest it and you get the benefits of a larger crop next year...

Awfully hard to turn down that opportunity.

And that's how it works.

It usually isn't a large corporation doing such things...it's small time farmers with 50-100 acres of crops.

I know that I will have to hire people to harvest a crop when I purchase my retirement hobby farm. Everything from pecans to strawberries. The money is split between the harvesters and myself. (Of course I get the lion's share of the money)

But that's the economics of a small business.
I won't pay $100 for a crop only worth $50...I'd go broke.
There is no way to harvest cane by hand for near the same as manual unless the farm is tiny

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no way to harvest cane by hand for near the same as manual unless the farm is tiny
By hand is the same as manual...
I'm having a hard time understanding your point here.