Raising Minimum Wage

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I've been wanting to try smoked eel one day...there's been a few people talking about it.

Never tasted it yet... doesn't mean that I don't want to.

Oh... Very tasty... Haven't u guys got those long ones in the Mississippi?

Reactions: JohnDB

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hey @Adoration. The biggest hurdle I face is time. I just don't get enough time to spend chatting with you good folk and I'm just like you guys but perhaps a little less mature....I love chatting. I have taken a few days off work so I can spend time talking with ya'll. It is 1.05am on a Wednesday morning NZT

Ah i was thinking it must be getting late there... Enjoy you holidays

Reactions: Angelina

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I am a morning person...
I haven't missed a sunrise in.... can't remember. I've been off work since quarantine with a bad knee. (God's way of keeping me down) and I still get up early...I'd get up earlier if I went to bed at a decent hour. I will once I get vaxed.

I'm not sure what we are going to do first once I get mine...work or some play.

Are you crazy or insane... Should i work or play???
Then again you've been off work for so long i could understand u wanting to get back to work...

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Cabinet making is usually less skilled, but furniture making, that is really a craft, to make perfect dovetail joints and that isn't only it, there is so much more to it, there are these things called Japanese wood joints, and that's a whole nother level, Japanese wood joints are done in such a way where screws and glue are not required to keep it together.

Imagine cutting these out.

Not to mention there are still certain craftsman who still shape wood by hand.

But thats a rare skill these days... No one really does it anymore

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
XC skiing.... It's the most useful.... Because you don't need chairlifts. :p:D

Booooring... @Josho... Blease... Useful for what exactly??? Travelling slowly???
Maybe when im 85 years old i might get some Telemark skiis but only if a friend has them already

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hmm, but what about the variety of work they do, I know a furniture maker who does custom work.

Off course there would be custom furniture makers as well...
I referred to production work cos it was Ikea that JB was talking about...

Reactions: Josho

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Me and a wood working mate were almost going to start building fancy furniture a few years ago...
We should of tried it, some great ideas we had too

Reactions: Josho

Pisteuo

Jul 31, 2017
Ozarks
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Minimum wage...sheesh.

There should never be a minimum wage. It has been proven to be counter productive and just another way of taking freedom from the people. As the minimum wage increases so too will the cost of essentials...counter productive. The cost of living increases as well as the taxes on those wages. You cannot regulate greed anyway. I should be free to set a wage for a job I want done. You are free to not accept the wage and find alternative work at better wages. That is freedom. Any regulation added on to that strips the freedom and will have consequences...example would be McDonalds...the min wage increased recently and so did the cost of everything on the menu, alot. Minimum wage should be rephrased as cost of living increase. It's like people think these companies are just gonna agree to make less money and pay employees more. No, they passed that expense onto customers...the workers...all citizens. McDonalds and countless other companies loose nothing in exchange. The workers gain nothing...

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I will pray for your knee that God heals it and that he provide for you financially. Sorry for taking this tread off topic. Please resume if you have a mind to.....
Sokay...
Wees just talking. Financially we are good. Wifey works and her career is escalating. She works with all the research scientist. Virologist and oncologist and epidemiologists.
I want to go back because the kids on the job need me. And I get bored. And the money can help fund a retirement hobby farm one day. We'll get to test it soon enough as wifey gets her vac complete this weekend. They are making noise that I can start my series soon.
****"
Now for @Josho
Custom carpentry is one thing... beautiful works of art that's furniture...not cheap and the workman deserves his wages.

Factory made furniture is another. Cheap and serviceable. Nobody actually knows anything about making furniture...they just push buttons and stack wood there... except it isn't real wood. It's presswood/chipwood.

I can buy a kit for making a nice looking desk for under $200. Wifey is sitting at it now. Got all kinds of drawers and trays. Took me a day to put it together. But it's cheap stuff too.

A nice custom desk made out of real wood (usually a hardwood) is going to cost $20,000....not the under $200 I got this one on sale.
And that $200 desk has to be made by someone in a factory for usually minimum wage. The ones that had moving tops so you could change it into a standing desk was more $$.
And I like carpentry... real carpentry. Just never enough time and money to spend on stuff like that.

Besides...I got artisan bread to make, artisan sausages to spice, and leathercrafts to work on. I'm finished with all the gourmet truffles and cookies for the year.

Reactions: Cristo Rei

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Me and a wood working mate were almost going to start building fancy furniture a few years ago...
We should of tried it, some great ideas we had too
The most difficult part of custom artisan furniture making is selling it. It's not for everyone. The market is small and demanding. They wanted it yesterday and in a different color.
Which usually means that you have to hire someone else to sell the stuff. Artisans are usually lousy at selling their functional art.
Traveling Carpenters used to run about with a custom made tool box that displayed the work they could do...inlays and custom trays, drawers and joining. (Heavy box)
Now if you can find one of those... you found something. It's a unique conversation piece. Totally disfunctional. (The trays, shelves, and drawers are made for individual tools)

Today the custom furniture that hides firearms or valuables are popular. Meh...it's a gimmick.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Useful for going up hill, and hey, you can still travel at speed if you want to on cross country skis :rolleyes::p

But when it comes to style u can't beat a snowboard
When it comes to powder u can't beat a snowboard
And when it comes to style u can't beat a snowboard

Just check out my backside 360
followed by my sweet frontside 720
giphy (1).gif

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
She works with all the research scientist. Virologist and oncologist and epidemiologists.

Ahh what, i didn't know that... I thought she was disabled...
That explains why your so invested in the vaccine then... It all make sense now

Reactions: Brakelite

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ahh what, i didn't know that... I thought she was disabled...
That explains why your so invested in the vaccine then... It all make sense now
I kept saying that I know these people who did the research on these things...what? You thought I was stretching the truth?

I really wasn't...more often than not I have been accused of understating things. LOL
Our friends all have at least a master's degree... about half have doctorates. There's a couple with just a bachelor's degree. I am the dummy in the crowd with the two Associates and formal apprenticeship training. That's just in my Sunday School class...
My Work environment? Ok a lot of them had a difficult time graduating high school. My wife's is a lot more edumakated.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
BTW Love Eels. Used to go eeling all the time into my teens. Eating them is also nice as long as they are smoked properly.
I used to work in the late eighties early nineties as a park ranger in the Hunua ranges back of Papakura... You would know them surely. Used to have great eel expeditions in the creeks up there with my kids and smoked them in an old converted clothes dryer. My Maori wife's family would travel all the way from Hokianga to eat this pakeha's smoked eel lol.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I used to work in the late eighties early nineties as a park ranger in the Hunua ranges back of Papakura... You would know them surely. Used to have great eel expeditions in the creeks up there with my kids and smoked them in an old converted clothes dryer. My Maori wife's family would travel all the way from Hokianga to eat this pakeha's smoked eel lol.

Mmmm sounds delicious and of course ye old converted clothes dryer is perfect for smoking with a bit of manuka wood thrown in as well...

Reactions: Brakelite

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Minimum wage...sheesh.

There should never be a minimum wage. It has been proven to be counter productive and just another way of taking freedom from the people. As the minimum wage increases so too will the cost of essentials...counter productive. The cost of living increases as well as the taxes on those wages. You cannot regulate greed anyway. I should be free to set a wage for a job I want done. You are free to not accept the wage and find alternative work at better wages. That is freedom. Any regulation added on to that strips the freedom and will have consequences...example would be McDonalds...the min wage increased recently and so did the cost of everything on the menu, a lot. Minimum wage should be rephrased as cost of living increase. It's like people think these companies are just gonna agree to make less money and pay employees more. No, they passed that expense onto customers...the workers...all citizens. McDonalds and countless other companies loose nothing in exchange. The workers gain nothing...
@Pisteuo if there wasn't a minimum wage then an employer can dictate any amount per hour ie: $1.00 per hour. I can't see how that is going to help anyone. The potential employee will of course reject that and find a job with better wages. You'll then probably find someone who will take that job for $1.00an hour because they are either a migrant worker, someone who had just done time in prison or someone living on the street. This of course, will then determine the quality of work and your country will end up like china or similar to, a third world country. I think having a minimum wage level will keep employers honest at least in the legal arena. It's a breach of our employment contract here in NZ if an employer pays less than the minimum wage. Jm2c

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The minimum wage was brought in so that workers got paid a reasonable amount. Granted it may be on the low side but without that legislation it might be even lower. And then there is the 'zero hours' contract issue which I think is even worse.