Raising Minimum Wage

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Pisteuo if there wasn't a minimum wage then an employer can dictate any amount per hour ie: $1.00 per hour. I can't see how that is going to help anyone. The potential employee will of course reject that and find a job with better wages. You'll then probably find someone who will take that job for $1.00 because they are either a migrant worker, someone who had just done time in prison or someone living on the street. This of course, will then determine the quality of work and your country will end up like china or similar to, a third world country.

Skills and training set the wages for the worker. As the two go up so do the wages.

If it takes two years for a highly skilled person to actually finish training and learning a position... you don't want them lured away to another job paying more. So you pay what it takes to retain them.
Where employee loyalty programs can be used to help retain people...they really don't work well when huge disparities exist in pay scale. And if one goes after a huge salary disparity the others will be quick on their heels as well...so be prepared for a complete staff changeover.

Reactions: Pisteuo

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Today...
If someone is getting away with paying low wages because they have the only jobs available...it's a huge huge secret. Because labor is in such tight supply here that others will move factories in a minute to take advantage of the lower wages.

And although I'm easy I'm not cheap...and I'll wire in that new factory faster and better than anyone.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I kept saying that I know these people who did the research on these things...what? You thought I was stretching the truth?

Ye but i didn't know it was her

I really wasn't...more often than not I have been accused of understating things. LOL
Our friends all have at least a master's degree... about half have doctorates. There's a couple with just a bachelor's degree. I am the dummy in the crowd with the two Associates and formal apprenticeship training. That's just in my Sunday School class...
My Work environment? Ok a lot of them had a difficult time graduating high school. My wife's is a lot more edumakated.

That means that you guys would be naturally bias, protecting the image of her industry at all costs. As we have observed

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That means that you guys would be naturally bias, protecting the image of her industry at all costs. As we have observed

Biased against them is much more likely.
Familiarity breeds contempt.

I'm happy for them that they knocked it out of the park with this one...I doubted their ability to sort it all out so quickly or so well...but a few "pain in the backsides" got slapped around to do their part for this pandemic or else and Shazam! They were agreeable to work with. And the "show ponies" trying to take credit for stuff they didn't do or the other "show ponies" which are actually "pain in the backsides" got shut out of the research but are now making up a ton of misinformation that you now are using to malign the good work. (Grudges won't get them anywhere...but they can be very childish)

Then I know some of the sponsor monitors that are responsible for reporting the individuals who participated in getting vaxxed. They travel a lot to ALL the boring places. These guys might be schmucks but they are smart schmucks. But also not going to lie or misrepresent the findings. They would lose their very lucrative careers in a minute for that as well as risking jail.
But mostly they are honest and kind by nature.

So no...I'm not biased towards them but against them.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Biased against them is much more likely.
Familiarity breeds contempt.

I'm happy for them that they knocked it out of the park with this one...I doubted their ability to sort it all out so quickly or so well...but a few "pain in the backsides" got slapped around to do their part for this pandemic or else and Shazam! They were agreeable to work with. And the "show ponies" trying to take credit for stuff they didn't do or the other "show ponies" which are actually "pain in the backsides" got shut out of the research but are now making up a ton of misinformation that you now are using to malign the good work. (Grudges won't get them anywhere...but they can be very childish)

Then I know some of the sponsor monitors that are responsible for reporting the individuals who participated in getting vaxxed. They travel a lot to ALL the boring places. These guys might be schmucks but they are smart schmucks. But also not going to lie or misrepresent the findings. They would lose their very lucrative careers in a minute for that as well as risking jail.
But mostly they are honest and kind by nature.

So no...I'm not biased towards them but against them.

So your not arguing for the credibility of the industry??? Cmon mate...

Who does Mrs DB work for?

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So your not arguing for the credibility of the industry??? Cmon mate...

Who does Mrs DB work for?
Vanderbilt University Medical Center.

Google them up...they aren't hiding.

But what you aren't getting and maybe I'm not clear on some of this is that usually these people fight like little children and get nothing done. Management is absolutely horrible and does nothing but coddle them...never disciplines the staff. Even when they have good reasons to suspect that they have committed legally actionable actions. Mgmt all of a sudden gets deliberately ignorant and does nothing.

I want my wife out of there...it's not a great place to work...private industry is a LOT more lucrative. And since my career is in the downhill... wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
University. So the state pays her, right? U see where im going?
No...not the state.

Money is generated by the patients and the multitude of Bio-tech firms from around the world that request research. Some is generated by the NIH as is most during the pandemic.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The video is quite good and relaxing... I think my taste in music is AMAZING.... LOL

Reactions: JohnDB

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
No...not the state.

Money is generated by the patients and the multitude of Bio-tech firms from around the world that request research. Some is generated by the NIH as is most during the pandemic.

The Gates foundation and such... Man
The federal government owns universities don't they? Here they do
NIH, is that government too isn't it?

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Sesame Street has been continually broadcast since its debut in 1969... Impressive

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This will be my last one... but honestly... this one is even funnier.... This is how to have a GOOD DEBATE.... HAHA.... Ok... I promise... NO more... and this might even be against forum rules... but I couldn't resist... lol

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
This will be my last one... but honestly... this one is even funnier.... This is how to have a GOOD DEBATE.... HAHA.... Ok... I promise... NO more... and this might even be against forum rules... but I couldn't resist... lol

Na, i can't stand kermit... I was jealous cos i had a crush on Miss Piggy... LoL...:D

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Gates foundation and such... Man
The federal government owns universities don't they? Here they do
NIH, is that government too isn't it?

The government owns some universities...but not the good ones.
Vanderbilt University was started by the Vanderbilt Family long before the Government ever considered such a notion of funding universities.

Today the Government only provides money for University building expansion...not much else.
The Hospital side is separate but loosely connected with the University.
Doctor and nursing students gotta practice somewhere.
The NIH is a blend of private industry and Government funding that sponsors research into health... usually not medicines or Vaccines but they will when secrecy is not necessary or desired...most investigated new drugs under development are big secrets.
They will research helicobacter pylori bacteria from internal biome but not how to cure it. (Medicines already exist)
Isolating viruses and identifying them is not secret work nor are the results going to ever be secret as they are going into very public journals.

Most of your research scientists are like contract labor...contracted for a period of time to research a nuance in their specific area of expertise.
They do tend to inflate their work's worth... like drug companies do...they say things like their new drug was a landslide, humongous 0.02% better than the placebo...
Which is what I was somewhat expecting out of the current Vaccines.
Actually I was expecting that those who the Vaccines didn't prevent the virus getting them sick to actually die or become hospitalized because they were vaxxed disproportionately to those unvaccinated.

But that didn't happen. It worked exactly like planned...and I was shocked.

Reactions: Cristo Rei

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh I know...I covered this in later posts.

I was discussing factory minimum wage jobs like mattress making or furniture manufacturing. IKEA furniture is cheap.

Personally the constitution does not allow the fed to establish a national minimum wage- but individual states and towns can! I tend to be oppossed to tehm (not absolutely but generally) . People and the market should dictate what should be paid.

Reactions: Pisteuo and JohnDB

Pisteuo

Jul 31, 2017
Ozarks
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Pisteuo if there wasn't a minimum wage then an employer can dictate any amount per hour ie: $1.00 per hour. I can't see how that is going to help anyone. The potential employee will of course reject that and find a job with better wages. You'll then probably find someone who will take that job for $1.00an hour because they are either a migrant worker, someone who had just done time in prison or someone living on the street. This of course, will then determine the quality of work and your country will end up like china or similar to, a third world country. I think having a minimum wage level will keep employers honest at least in the legal arena. It's a breach of our employment contract here in NZ if an employer pays less than the minimum wage. Jm2c
I understand what you are saying. Yet hiking minimum wage is the most ineffective way of getting more money to workers as it also causes an increase in expenses at every level. Cost of living goes up nullifying the wage increase. I would propose instead that we teach workers in training programs to more consistently move up the ranks and make more money with training and seniority. This way as they make more money they are staying ahead of the cost of living curve.

Alvertsky

Jan 10, 2021
Corolla NC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Joe Biden has promised to raise minimum wage as soon as he is in office. (If he can)

Why does he care so much about this?
It's artificial pricing for labor...will absolutely cause inflation and many jobs and businesses will go overseas because of it as labor is much cheaper there.

And where Joe (as does any Democrat) refuses to admit this is the goal...it very much is the goal. He is sending jobs overseas or at least over the border.

Also it gives labor unions another boost in the arm as they usually have contracts for labor that are based on the minimum wage.

The average family household in America runs off of two salaries making @ $45,000 US. for a total income of about $90K. But in certain areas there exists very low skill jobs like furniture manufacturing or assembly line type jobs...
Usually these low skill jobs are also environmentally unfriendly. (Leather tanning)
These jobs evaporate when minimum wage gets raised. Because if a widget costs $80 each to make in America it only will cost $11 each with overseas manufacture.
Of course these widgets will sell for the exact same price as always...And somebody else's front yard gets all the sludge from making it.
But also...the "somebody else" gets a job building it.
Much of the world $9,000-$12,000 US is a year's salary...they don't purchase as many commodities (consistent price around the world) as Americans on a consumer level. Because wages are so much lower. And where $9-12K won't buy luxury food and lifestyle...75% of the world lives on rice and beans of some sort...and is happy to have the job.
When there aren't any jobs the gangs rule the streets. Having to pay a bunch of thugs for the "privilege" to pick through garbage for anything of value to sell...

Now here in America the service jobs suffer the most. Automated Ordering and online ordering for fast food or retail goods help cut costs immensely.
If Amazon could get a robot to deliver your purchases...it would.

Concerts roadies and hotel cleaning staff suffer...so does the quality of service because higher forced pay doesn't equate to better service. A high paid moron is still a moron.

But the higher wages makes shipping go up, foreign policy becomes much easier too.

Actually the minimum wage for locked down unemployed people is still zero. So what biden will need to do is make welfare payments permanent which will collapse the economy fully so that we can all be communist ants

CIAO