Real Love on a Christian Forum

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The way to expose error is to preach the truth on the matter (not to point the finger at the false doctrine and call the bearer of it a heretic).

People who are trained to discern counterfeit money, are trained to do so by handling real money all day long.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The way to expose error is to preach the truth on the matter (not to point the finger at the false doctrine and call the bearer of it a heretic).

People who are trained to discern counterfeit money, are trained to do so by handling real money all day long.
Are you saying we cannot point out false doctrine as heresy or saying not to call a person a heretic who believes false doctrine ?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It seems that neither John the Baptist, nor Jesus, nor Paul refrained from singling out individuals to others.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 23
29 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous,
30 And say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets.
31 Wherefore ye be witnesses unto yourselves, that ye are the children of them which killed the prophets.
32 Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers.
33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?

When you read this, do you hear . . .

Angry, accusing . . . or . . .

Impassioned, pleading?

Much love!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you saying we cannot point out false doctrine as heresy or saying not to call a person a heretic who believes false doctrine ?
I'm saying that we are to expose heresy by preaching the truth that is contrary to the heretical pov, from the word of the Lord.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm saying that we are to expose heresy by preaching the truth that is contrary to the heretical pov, from the word of the Lord.
So its ok then to be like Jesus and the Apostles below correct ?

Matthew 23:13
13 "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites!

Matthew 23:15
15 "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites!

Matthew 23:16
16 "Woe to you, blind guides!

Matthew 23:23
23 "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites!

Matthew 23:25-26
25 "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. 26 Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean.

Matthew 23:27-28
27 "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of dead men's bones and everything unclean. 28 In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness.

Matthew 23:33-34
33 "You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell?

John 8:41-45
"We are not illegitimate children," they protested. "The only Father we have is God himself."

42 Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and now am here. I have not come on my own; but he sent me. 43 Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say. 44 You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

Acts 20:28-31
Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood. 29 I know that after I leave, savage wolves will come in among you and will not spare the flock. 30 Even from your own number men will arise and distort the truth in order to draw away disciples after them. 31 So be on your guard! Remember that for three years I never stopped warning each of you night and day with tears.

2 Corinthians 6:14-17
Do not be bound together with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness? 15 Or what harmony has Christ with Belial, or what has a believer in common with an unbeliever? 16 Or what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; just as God said,

"I will dwell in them and walk among them;

And I will be their God, and they shall be My people.

17 "Therefore, come out from their midst and be separate," says the Lord.

2 Corinthians 11:13-15
For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, masquerading as apostles of Christ. 14 And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. 15 It is not surprising, then, if his servants masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will be what their actions deserve.

1 Timothy 1:3-4
As I urged you when I went into Macedonia, stay there in Ephesus so that you may command certain men not to teach false doctrines any longer 4 nor to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies.

1 Timothy 6:3-5
If anyone teaches false doctrines and does not agree to the sound instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ and to godly teaching, 4 he is conceited and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy interest in controversies and quarrels about words that result in envy, strife, malicious talk, evil suspicions 5 and constant friction between men of corrupt mind, who have been robbed of the truth

2 Peter 2:1
But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them — bringing swift destruction on themselves.

1 John 4:1-3
Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3 but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.

2 John 7-11
For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is the deceiver and the antichrist. 8 Watch yourselves, that you might not lose what we have accomplished, but that you may receive a full reward. 9 Anyone who goes too far and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God; the one who abides in the teaching, he has both the Father and the Son. 10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house, and do not give him a greeting; 11 for the one who gives him a greeting participates in his evil deeds.

Jude 1:12-13
These men are blemishes at your love feasts, eating with you without the slightest qualm — shepherds who feed only themselves. They are clouds without rain, blown along by the wind; autumn trees, without fruit and uprooted — twice dead. 13 They are wild waves of the sea, foaming up their shame; wandering stars, for whom blackest darkness has been reserved forever.

Jude 1:17-19
But, dear friends, remember what the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ foretold. 18 They said to you, "In the last times there will be scoffers who will follow their own ungodly desires." 19 These are the men who divide you, who follow mere natural instincts and do not have the Spirit.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that Jesus said those things after having been brought to the end of his rope (in His humanity). It finally became clear to Him that His message was not getting through to the scribes and Pharisees; so He finally resorted to semi-abusive speech in order to wake them up.

But this was not His normal demeanor.

He did not bear thorns and thistles to the people around Him as a general rule; but when it became clear that the only way to reach certain people in love would be to be harsh with them, then He resorted to harshness.

Of course it is written that the kisses of an enemy are deceitful and that open rebuke is better than hidden love; and that faithful are the wounds of a friend.

So then, our Lord did in fact say things that operated like a sword (see Hebrews 4:12) in the hearts and minds of those to whom He spoke.

However, we need to consider what it means to bear thorns and thistles and what that may look like practically; and then seek to avoid bearing thorns and thistles in our practical, everyday life.