Recommend a cheaper cell phone carrier?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, there are a lot of providers. But I'm pretty clueless about cell phones.
Must admit that I tend to stay with o2, but often change my kind of phone. Had a Samsung for years, then went to an iPhone but have now gone to a Google one. Thankfully my sons and daughter help me if I don’t understand something.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
If you like having a landline see if your cable company can provide one.

If you want a cell carrier I recommend mint mobile. It uses the AT&T network but costs $15 a month and comes with 5gb of data and unlimited calling. And even if you use it all it will just throttle you instead of cutting it off.

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Same wire even lol. I read that leaving the tv in another room doesnt really help your privacy because they can listen to you through your table lamps if they want to. Maybe the couldnt see you through a lamp but listening to me is bad enough! Maybe I should get some oil lamps. Or run soft copper through the walls and put up gas fired lamps throughout the house! (Toss out the electric lamps!)

I wouldnt doubt it that they have that technology now. That was just Twilight Zone enough to be true! (I bet the military is 50 years ahead of mainstream in technology...and it's allll weaponized)

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wonder how many people have Ham Radios stored in farady cages to communicate with when the grid goes down? (solar charger)

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Consumer Cellular's provider is AT&T.

How about Mint Mobile?

T-Mobile, which has spotty coverage in some rural areas.

Verizon and AT&T have the best coverage, last I checked.

I use Mint, and I recently needed a new phone to replace my dying OnePlus 7 Pro, so I bought a Xiaomi Poco F5, which I wasn't crazy about, but I decided to try it out anyway until I realized the signal was dropping in and out at my house, so I had to send it back to Amazonia.

I live pretty far out, but my old phone didn't have much trouble so I ended up with a OnePlus Nord 3, which I probably would have chosen first anyway, if I'd taken a little more time to shop.

I'm paying $240/yr ($20/mo) + taxes & fees for 15GB of data, which they let you pay in quarterly installments. My wife has the $15/mo 5GB plan.

Their customer service app & website are much better than Net 10, which I had before they notified me that they were selling to Verizon, and since I was having trouble with their CS anyway, I figured it might be a good time to make a jump.

I don't work for Mint, and I've only been with them for 3 months, but it's been hassle-free so far.

YMMV ;)

:hearteyes:

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
T-Mobile, which has spotty coverage in some rural areas.

Verizon and AT&T have the best coverage, last I checked.

I use Mint, and I recently needed a new phone to replace my dying OnePlus 7 Pro, so I bought a Xiaomi Poco F5, which I wasn't crazy about, but I decided to try it out anyway until I realized the signal was dropping in and out at my house, so I had to send it back to Amazonia.

I live pretty far out, but my old phone didn't have much trouble so I ended up with a OnePlus Nord 3, which I probably would have chosen first anyway, if I'd taken a little more time to shop.

I'm paying $240/yr ($20/mo) + taxes & fees for 15GB of data, which they let you pay in quarterly installments. My wife has the $15/mo 5GB plan.

Their customer service app & website are much better than Net 10, which I had before they notified me that they were selling to Verizon, and since I was having trouble with their CS anyway, I figured it might be a good time to make a jump.

I don't work for Mint, and I've only been with them for 3 months, but it's been hassle-free so far.

YMMV ;)

Mint uses T-Mobile.

I'm still looking for a better cell carrier myself. Mint looks pretty good.

Remember the cell company net zero? Didn't they offer free cell service for a time?

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now I'm even more confused.

Maybe I do need a company like Consumer Cellular which has customer service that can help clueless 73 year olds like me!

I don't even know how to activate a cell phone. Maybe if you buy Consumer Cellular in Target, maybe they activate it for you?

About throwaway phones where you buy minutes, how do they get activated?
If you buy the pay as you go phones they come with the SIM card. They get activated when you purchase your phone and buy the service.

Reactions: Debp

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

They're called burner phones,disposable phones,because you buy them and obtain service independent of being under contract with a major carrier and enter a payment plan for service and their cell phone.

Verizon has a user friendly service plan called Visible. Unlimited text and talk.

I'm considering that service as well given Verizon has some of the broadest coverage,tower leases for their service.

This link also links various other cell service providers.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mint uses T-Mobile.

I'm still looking for a better cell carrier myself. Mint looks pretty good.

Remember the cell company net zero? Didn't they offer free cell service for a time?

They started out offering free dial-up Internet service. I don't know what they're up to these days.

Reactions: BlessedPeace

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Maybe I do need a company like Consumer Cellular which has customer service that can help clueless 73 year olds like me!

I don't even know how to activate a cell phone. Maybe if you buy Consumer Cellular in Target, maybe they activate it for you?

Mint Mobile has a third-party VIP service called MinTech Advisors that will hold your hand through anything you may have difficulty with. It costs $15 for a year.

I know, it sounds like I'm on their sales team. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
  • Haha

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If you want a cell carrier I recommend mint mobile. It uses the AT&T network but costs $15 a month and comes with 5gb of data and unlimited calling. And even if you use it all it will just throttle you instead of cutting it off.
I don't have cable.

If I go into a Mint store, can I handle everything right there in the store?

I might not always have WiFi so don't do business over Internet.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I don't have cable.

If I go into a Mint store, can I handle everything right there in the store?

I might not always have WiFi so don't do business over Internet.
Mint doesn't have stores, its all online or through an app you install on your phone. You can buy starter kits in some retail stores but it requires you install the sim-card into an unlocked phone.

Another alternative is Boost Mobile, I never tried them but they are cheap and have stores.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I checked YouTube and someone was reviewing the lesser known cell providers.

He recommended U.S. Mobile.

I talked with U.S. Mobile customer service. He said since I just want to talk on the phone, he recommended their $10 a month plan. That includes taxes! (The taxes alone at AT&T were over eight dollars a month.)

The $10 plan has 1 GB of data. I don't plan to use the Internet or text on the phone. Just pay my phone bill via Internet. So I guess 1 GB is ok? I use my tablet for the Internet and connect to my neighbor's WiFi.

They also have a plan for $15 a month with 2 GB.

They sell phones...two are on sale for $59. Including a SIM card. Guess I'll go for that.... Chinese brand NUU. Android which is what my tablet is.

There is a Nokia for $89 on sale....but different operating system.

Haven't placed my order yet if anyone has input.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I checked YouTube and someone was reviewing the lesser known cell providers.

He recommended U.S. Mobile.

I talked with U.S. Mobile customer service. He said since I just want to talk on the phone, he recommended their $10 a month plan. That includes taxes! (The taxes alone at AT&T were over eight dollars a month.)

The $10 plan has 1 GB of data. I don't plan to use the Internet or text on the phone. Just pay my phone bill via Internet. So I guess 1 GB is ok? I use my tablet for the Internet and connect to my neighbor's WiFi.

They also have a plan for $15 a month with 2 GB.

They sell phones...two are on sale for $59. Including a SIM card. Guess I'll go for that.... Chinese brand NUU. Android which is what my tablet is.

There is a Nokia for $89 on sale....but different operating system.

Haven't placed my order yet if anyone has input.
$10 is outstanding for just cell service.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
$10 is outstanding for just cell service.

I saw they even have $6 a month plans.

I was trying to buy the cellphone from them right now. For some reason the computer put my email address in the name spot.

Then it left off my apartment number. Finally it put the zip code in the wrong spot!

So I didn't place my order after all.....back to square one. Really thought I had made a good choice.

Computers have a mind of their own.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I would be careful about buying minutes. I used to have a phone where I had to do that, and I never used my phone, but every once in a while, I'd try to make a phone cal, and I could only talk for maybe 5 minutes before it said my minutes were done. Turns out they were double selling, so someone else was using mine.
Consumer cellular looks pretty good, and if you search their website, some of the phones are pretty cheap. Here's one- 27 dollars down 3 dollars per month, and you can add that to a basic plan
https://www.consumercellular.com/shopping/details/moto_g_play_2023/details They have a special offer for AARP too.