Recommend a cheaper cell phone carrier?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I might have to get a cell phone if A T & T is allowed to stop providing landlines in my area.

Is anyone using a cheaper cell service that has good reception?

What about Consumer Cellular? Anyone using it?

Reactions: dev553344

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I left AT&T awhile back when I got fed up with their ever changing BS. I went over to Cricket so I wouldn't have to be an ATT customer.
AT&T followed me and bought out Cricket! Foiled!! So I dropped Cricket and went to Verizon. The service is good but they advertised $40 a month cell service and I havent seen a $40 bill yet. More like $92 but I did get a new phone out of it too so I guess that's that. The service is solid.

Reactions: dev553344 and Debp

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I left AT&T awhile back when I got fed up with their ever changing BS. I went over to Cricket so I wouldn't have to be an ATT customer.
AT&T followed me and bought out Cricket! Foiled!! So I dropped Cricket and went to Verizon. The service is good but they advertised $40 a month cell service and I havent seen a $40 bill yet. More like $92 but I did get a new phone out of it too so I guess that's that. The service is solid.
I don't like AT &T either....they are always raising prices. But had this landline since 1967...when it was Pacific Bell.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I might have to get a cell phone if A T & T is allowed to stop providing landlines in my area.

Is anyone using a cheaper cell service that has good reception?

What about Consumer Cellular? Anyone using it?
Consumer Cellular's provider is AT&T.

How about Mint Mobile?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My internet provider is terrible. They keep adding fees everywhere. Really obnoxious. And my Dad says about his cellular carrier that they won't let him buy the phone. They are forcing him to have a monthly fee which is really crooked if you ask me. I think he is AT&T.

Reactions: Debp

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't like AT &T either....they are always raising prices. But had this landline since 1967...when it was Pacific Bell.

It seemed to me that AT&T would just bill me whatever they wanted to each month so I'd have to call them every month and haggle with them which was total bunk. I had a couple business lines for a long time with them and if you aint a new customer to them you suck and will be charged for it! So I moved on. Who cares if I had the number a long time? Sure it would have been nice to keep that number but not under their flexible terms lol!

Mint mobile lies too. All their commercials say $15 a month for cell service, and that is true...for 2 months, then it goes up to $50 a month. That makes him appear as a liar in my book he sounds just like all the other big corporate companies. Smoke and mirrors all the way. Bah!

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Consumer Cellular's provider is AT&T.

How about Mint Mobile?
Really? I just thought Consumer Cellular used different providers' cell towers.

I would like to avoid AT&T.

It seemed to me that AT&T would just bill me whatever they wanted to each month so I'd have to call them every month and haggle with them which was total bunk. I had a couple business lines for a long time with them and if you aint a new customer to them you suck and will be charged for it! So I moved on. Who cares if I had the number a long time? Sure it would have been nice to keep that number but not under their flexible terms lol!

Mint mobile lies too. All their commercials say $15 a month for cell service, and that is true...for 2 months, then it goes up to $50 a month. That makes him appear as a liar in my book he sounds just like all the other big corporate companies. Smoke and mirrors all the way. Bah!
I kept being with Pacific Bell/A T & T since 1967 because they are the only ones to offer landlines.

Now they are trying to stop offering landlines. It has to be approved by our State's utility commission.

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I kept being with Pacific Bell/A T & T since 1967 because they are the only ones to offer landlines.

Now they are trying to stop offering landlines. It has to be approved by our State's utility commission.

You should be able to keep your landline number and function in your home. I still have my landline and the feed comes through my internet service wire and I plug my phones into my wifi router box. With a little rewiring the landline works all over the house now.

They could bring everything in on one wire. Internet, electric, cable tv, and anything else but they wont because they can bleed us for more with a seperate wire for each.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"Consumer Cellular uses two networks to provide coverage: AT&T and T-Mobile."

That source also says Consumer Cellular only makes sense price wise if we are an AARP member.

While I was there I checked out their Mint Mobile review because I also have AT&T. I've been with them since they were Cingular.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You should be able to keep your landline number and function in your home. I still have my landline and the feed comes through my internet service wire and I plug my phones into my wifi router box. With a little rewiring the landline works all over the house now.

They could bring everything in on one wire. Internet, electric, cable tv, and anything else but they wont because they can bleed us for more with a seperate wire for each.
I use my neighbor's wifi so I cannot do anything like that. Not tech savvy either.

So if AT & T gets permission to dump landlines here, I'll go with some cell phone.

That source also says Consumer Cellular only makes sense price wise if we are an AARP member.

While I was there I checked out their Mint Mobile review because I also have AT&T. I've been with them since they were Cingular.

I guess Consumer Cellular just uses the cell towers of AT & T and T-Mobile.

As long as AT&T doesn't own Consumer Cellular I'm happy about that.

Reactions: BlessedPeace

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

After reading the reviews I'm getting a little confused about what way to go.

I really only want to talk on the phone sometimes.... I'm not a phone person.

I would like cheap phone. Maybe a throwaway phone and buying minutes is best?? I don't want to spend $800 on a phone.

Also, do you know what depriortazation is?

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I use my neighbor's wifi so I cannot do anything like that. Not tech savvy either.

So if AT & T gets permission to dump landlines here, I'll go with some cell phone.

I guess Consumer Cellular just uses the cell towers of AT & T and T-Mobile.

As long as AT&T doesn't own Consumer Cellular I'm happy about that.
That's standard for many cell companies. They lease access to other companies towers.

On the east coast U.S Verizon owns all the landlines. So, any wire phone company has to pay to access those lines for non-cellular communications.
After reading the reviews I'm getting a little confused about what way to go.

I really only want to talk on the phone sometimes.... I'm not a phone person.

I would like cheap phone. Maybe a throwaway phone and buying minutes is best?? I don't want to spend $800 on a phone.
I buy my phones from Walmart. They have pay as you go options, you buy minutes basically.
Or, if you have a carrier already,like AT&T, that company has phones there ready to go with your account. Just transfer your old phones SIM card to the new one. Or,get a new SIM. Though your local carrier office may have to activate that to your account.

If you aren't in a contract plan with AT&T, you can ask them to release your new phone and number that your current provider,like AT&T, gave you. This lets you find a new company and keep your phone number.

When you buy phones at Walmart that are already linked to a provider it is typically with the understanding you already have a phone service with that provider. Be it AT&T ,Verizon,etc...

There are other cell phones available at Walmart too. You buy minutes on those.

With someone like Mint Mobile, you can transfer your service and keep your phone.

I would never spend big money on a cell.Which is why I shop at Walmart.

Amazon sells cell phones but if you read the reviews it is difficult to activate those with a carrier.

Also, do you know what depriortazation is?
Oh,yes. The Difference Between Throttling and Data Deprioritization

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's standard for many cell companies. They lease access to other companies towers.

On the east coast U.S Verizon owns all the landlines. So, any wire phone company has to pay to access those lines for non-cellular communications.

I buy my phones from Walmart. They have pay as you go options, you buy minutes basically.
Or, if you have a carrier already,like AT&T, that company has phones there ready to go with your account. Just transfer your old phones SIM card to the new one. Or,get a new SIM. Though your local carrier office may have to activate that to your account.

If you aren't in a contract plan with AT&T, you can ask them to release your new phone and number that your current provider,like AT&T, gave you. This lets you find a new company and keep your phone number.

When you buy phones at Walmart that are already linked to a provider it is typically with the understanding you already have a phone service with that provider. Be it AT&T ,Verizon,etc...

There are other cell phones available at Walmart too. You buy minutes on those.

With someone like Mint Mobile, you can transfer your service and keep your phone.

I would never spend big money on a cell.Which is why I shop at Walmart.

Amazon sells cell phones but if you read the reviews it is difficult to activate those with a carrier.

Oh,yes. The Difference Between Throttling and Data Deprioritization
I don't have a cell phone. I have a landline with AT&T....but AT&T is trying to get permission to dump landlines in my area.

I don't even know what data refers to.

I just want to use a phone to call for doctor appointments and sometimes talk to people.

Since I'm in Los Angeles, I guess throwaway phones would have good reception?

What is a SIM card? Sorry I don't know anything about cell phones.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hope you get one sorted out. I ditched my home phone quite recently and now rely on my mobile. I think most companies give cheap deals to begin with and then it goes up. Ads always covey half truths, perhaps best to go online and check their websites for different offers.
We actually have loads of providers to choose from , is that not the case in the US. ?

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't have a cell phone. I have a landline with AT&T....but AT&T is trying to get permission to dump landlines in my area.

I don't even know what data refers to.

I just want to use a phone to call for doctor appointments and sometimes talk to people.

Since I'm in Los Angeles, I guess throwaway phones would have good reception?
In LA I'd think so what with all the towers there.

These might help you decide:

What is a SIM card? Sorry I don't know anything about cell phones.
Here you go. What Is a SIM Card and Why Do You Need One?

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Have you ever considered leather based communications?

Its a face to face form of communicating with others.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hope you get one sorted out. I ditched my home phone quite recently and now rely on my mobile. I think most companies give cheap deals to begin with and then it goes up. Ads always covey half truths, perhaps best to go online and check their websites for different offers.
We actually have loads of providers to choose from , is that not the case in the US. ?
Yes, there are a lot of providers. But I'm pretty clueless about cell phones.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now I'm even more confused.

Maybe I do need a company like Consumer Cellular which has customer service that can help clueless 73 year olds like me!

I don't even know how to activate a cell phone. Maybe if you buy Consumer Cellular in Target, maybe they activate it for you?

About throwaway phones where you buy minutes, how do they get activated?

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

But it doesn't really take tech savvy to be able to plug in a phone. Even if you had to switch some wiring, it's only two wires. Green is hot and red is common. It only works one way so you either have it wired right or not. It either works or it doesn't.