Recommended translation for memorization?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mikey

Jan 22, 2008
I want to try to memorize some books of the bible. I want one with a literal translation. I like the Authorized version, but I think the language is dated. I am also considering the NASV or the ESV. I've counted out NIV and The Message. All these different translation frustrate me. I have a Greek NT but I even wonder sometimes about that. What translation do you recommend? Also, has anyone else memorized any of the Bible?

Telerea

Apr 4, 2008
The NRSV is what most academics use - it is pretty close to a direct translation from the Hebrew and Greek.The NET is painfully literal (I've only seen it from the Greek though).Oh, and The Message is a paraphrase, not a translation. You are right to discount it.Of course, reading in the original language is always best.

RaddSpencer

Mar 28, 2008
I was in "Bible Drill" back in the day. Bible Drill consisted of two main parts:1. Finding books and verses in the bible within a certain time frame.2. Memorizing certain bible verses to memory ( we had to memorize around 40 I think)If you want to memorize certain parts of the bible (even whole chapters). Just read the chapter aloud every day. Eventually, you will be so familiar with it, that the words will just come out -- you won't even have to think about it. Reading these passages every day really is the key.

zozephin

Apr 4, 2008
My friend,you can't memorize any Bible if first you put it in your life...you must apply it in your behaviour,with your fellow beings,with God.Then you will see that some things will stay in your mind ...Every day every more...I think Greek translation is a very good Bible is very close to the authenic.I am greek so if you want to ask me any questions i am here for you...
smile.gif
Take care...

Mikey

Jan 22, 2008
zozephin that is the reason I want to memorize it. I live my life by the Word, I try my best and ask God to make it possible to glorify Him with my life. It is the only book worth reading in my opinion and has all the answers to important things in life and the way to salvation. The word of God!!!! I notice that when I'm in certain situations, verses will pop into my head because I pray for that to happen. I think that is the Holy Spirit doing that. I have found it quite easy to memorize so far, maybe because I can easily memorize music for guitar.