Regarding the Holy Spirit and His gifts I believe...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rearding the baptism of the Holy Spirit, spiritual gifts and some other things I believe;

• 1. Yes, I know this is for today and all gifts including tongues, are yet given to believers.

• 2. There is no secondary experience from God once you truly become a Christian.

• 3. Those who speak in tongues are completely deceived, this is not from God at all.

• 4. Spiritual gifts, including tongues passed away after the time of the apostles ended

• 5. Those lacking baptism in the Holy Spirit lack God's anointing and power

• 6. My denominations teaching on this is true. Baptism in the Holy Spirit is not for now.

• 7. Jesus no longer speaks directly to believers, only through the scripture

• 8. Miracles of healing are not for today, modern medicine and doctors are our means of healing

• 9. Much of the bible is allegorical and never really happened.

• 10. I am a Christian but Jesus Christ is not God Almighty

Results are only viewable after voting.

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, it is sad that those who 'hear from God' are considered strange. Yet back in the OT it was an expected thing...even by the none God fearing...like when the King said " Find me Elijah, he hears from God....."

I am sure in the not too far future any of us who claim to speak to, and hear from God will be quickly locked up as crazy!!
No one will want us around.
Even less if we dare say that we 'see' things in another realm!!

I find that people, even denominational believers, who I see as incomplete Christians, are afraid of me and others who simply receive the word of God regarding spiritual gifts at face value.

The denials and reasons they give for their denial would be laughable were the subject not so serious.

We must not give up! These scriptures explain it fully!

2 Timothy 4:2-4 KJVS
Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
[3] For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
[4] And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Calling gods gift BABBLE is ignorance broadcast by denominational twisting of the truth of the written word. Amen

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a poll...

What are your true beliefs regarding the baptism of the Holy Spirit and the spiritual gifts? Regarding some other aspects of being a Christian?

Consider this video. It is the only link I could find for it and don’t really agree with the woman I guess that posted it thinking it is funny. But that is what Christianity has: become a mockery. We flop, jerk, laugh uncontrollably, twich and fall over when hands touch us as it knocked over by the power of God. How can we not see this manifestation feeds the flesh while we are to come together as a body to edify another in Spirit. I’m sorry that people I’ve come to love and care about will think I am being rude. God is not the author of confusion. Man(the flesh) is the author of confusion. God gives a sound mind, not one delirious. I could pull countless video of Kenneth Copeland, Heidi, and all preaching prosperity of the world and it all pushes the satisfaction of the flesh. The baptism of God is crucifixion of flesh. Please listen to what a nonbeliever says after going to church:

1 Corinthians 14:23-25
[23] If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad? [24] But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all: [25] And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't watch any videos. I read the word.

There will always be counterfeits which only point to a genuine original.

I listen to none of the so called word of faith or prosperity teachers. Everything it seems has been turned to gain.

I ask God to give me what He wants me to have. He told me that those who choose their blessings cheat themselves. He is able to choose what we need far better than we.

The goings on in many assemblies are not worth mentioning. The last church we attended was left because of the worldly ways that were accepted as being OK. After an absence we came in one Sunday night to find women dressed in strapless evening gowns and the preacher taking part in a take off on some TV series! We left and never went back.

There are few TV preachers/teachers that I will give a partial ear to. The denominational ones offer lectures and others have every message on gain. Planting seed, receiving the hundred fold return etc.

After becoming a Christian outside denominational walls in 1977 I soon began to hear the prosperity message. No where in the new testament do I see evidence of wealthy apostles. I see Paul sewing rough camel hides to earn money.

The most anointed preachers have been turned aside by the promise of easy money. It's a trap as are the affectations such as rolling around on the floor etc. Yet God does these things sometimes so I cannot cast out all things. God does use foolish things to confound the self appointed wise.

But staying in the bible and away from videos, many books and other teachings is best IMO. The anointing is the perfect teacher.

1 John 2:27

Speaking in tongues in the assembly should be for interpretation. It's perfectly acceptable to pray to yourself in the spirit - TONGUES - as it can be done without notice and cannot cause interference.

When Paul said he thanked God he prayed in tongues more than they did he was not referring to within the assembly but everywhere and at all times as brother Jude says in Jude vs 20.

I pray in Walmart, as I drive and anywhere I happen to be. May you and I be increased in the knowledge of His gifts. Amen

As Christians no matter what we say or don't say, do or don't do we will be scoffed at as fools by the world. The word promises that.
The part that really bothers me are the professed believers that deny God's word regarding the baptism of the Holy Spirit and the gifts He bestows afterwards

Those knowing nothing set themselves up as teachers when they are indeed unbelievers.

Again;

2 Timothy 4:2-4 KJVS
Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
[3] For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
[4] And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

The amazing thing about the faithfulness of God is that He will continue to honor the gifts of healing, etc given to a minister even after they have left the straight and narrtow path for the gifts and calling of God are without recall.

Christians err in seeing the continuing anointing on a minister as God's approval on all they do. Not so. God keeps His promises after men forsake the right way.

Last edited:

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Receiving from God is simplicity itself.

The false and fear instilling teachings of denominational doctrines drive many away from even asking God for His gifts. The baptism in the Holy Spirit being the most magnificent.

What a sad commentary. Feeling sorry for myself the other day I told God it's sad when no one thinks anything of you. You know how we get on down days I suppose.

He replied instantly "what if you're God and they think nothing of you"?

He made the world and they deny His very existence.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are saved long enough and talk to enough believers you will hear all sorts, of unbelief. The world and even many denominational believers think it strangeif you profess to have heard from God.This reflects on the little time spent with Him.The world says you are insane if you hear voices not recognizing that Satan deceives them daily with thoughts they believe to be their own.
Oh my, that was GOOD! I think I might memorize that!
;)

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, it is sad that those who 'hear from God' are considered strange. !
They think we're nuts!!!!
Well, I think secretly, shhh...trying not to judge ...
WE think they are strange for NOT hearing God's Voice. LOL.

(At the very least we secretly feel a bit sorry for them.)
THOUGH we know all in God's time....all will be revealed.

Ya can't judge someone a bit behind you in a Marathon...limping as best they can...we
will all cross the finish line when we do. Right?

Reactions: Helen

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But he who is spiritual appraises all things, yet he himself is appraised by no one.
1 Corinthians 2:15 NASB

We can see into those of the world yet they can't see into us. We see with spiritual discernment while they try to see with their natural mind.

People I worked with, engineers, thought me foolish as I told them that God was going to send my wife and I a son after 14 childless years. But when it came to pass their attitude changed to something else. Either way I was avoided. Such is the lonely life of a Christian. First foolish then feared, but never understood.

There are aliens upon the earth. Christians. This world is just our temporary camp ground. As strangers and aliens we will be seen as such by those that look well enough.

Reactions: Helen

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a poll...

What are your true beliefs regarding the baptism of the Holy Spirit and the spiritual gifts? Regarding some other aspects of being a Christian?

Regarding your OP, I am reminded that Peter [I Think] when he walked down the Road, Path, Street, that those that were lying along side of the street, would be Healed!!!!! Just because Peter's shadow fell on them as He passed, and also that Paul would send pieces of cloth and people would be Healed, the Problem today is that most have not learned to use these gift's!
Word of Knowledge = the Spirit give's you an understanding about something and or someone!
Word of Wisdom = the Spirit give's you how to deal with the understanding about something and or someone!
If you are sensitive to the leading of the Spirit, then you may be lead to lay hand's on this situation!
Take the cripple at the Gate called beautiful! This man had been placed there for a long time, everyday! Don't you think that Yeshua [Jesus] had entered that gate more than once? Yet after the death burial and resurrection,Two Apostles start to enter the gate and say silver and gold we have none, But that which we have we give freely, they took hold of his hand, and He was made whole.
We do need Spirit Filled to overflowing people, Today! The Act's of the Apostles is an unfinished book!

Reactions: Helen and Frank Lee

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Question~
Lord HOW is it it thou shall manifest thyself TO US ... And NOT the World?

The Baptism~

John 14:23
Jesus answered and said unto him,
IF...
a man love me,
he WILL keep my words,
AND...
My Father WILL love him,
AND...
WE WILL come unto him
AND...
make OUR ABODE With him.

A man could be thrilled at the prospect of Jesus coming to his house for supper. Oh what an amazing prospect that would be, eh?

What an amazing story one would have to tell, eh?
"Jesus was at my house last month!!!"

Awe, but then Jesus went on His Way and I moved to another house....

But to put what Jesus said into perspective...
He would come to My house?
No, my body.
I would Feed Him?
No, He has Fed me.
He would leave and be on His Way?
No, He would live With me.

For How Long would He live With me?

Matt: 28:20
LO...I am with you alway, even to the end of the world.

To me...when the Lord God makes His ABODE with a man Forever...
THAT ... Is the Lords Baptism.

And yes I say Forever, because this world IS:
Eph 3:21
...a world without end.

Baptism of the Holy Spirit to me IS:
Thee Faithful and True Lord God Almighty came unto my ABODE and Shall NEVER Leave.

God Bless,
Taken
Yes! We have everlasting life because we live as long as He lives...forever ♥

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Consider this video. It is the only link I could find for it and don’t really agree with the woman I guess that posted it thinking it is funny. But that is what Christianity has: become a mockery. We flop, jerk, laugh uncontrollably, twich and fall over when hands touch us as it knocked over by the power of God. How can we not see this manifestation feeds the flesh while we are to come together as a body to edify another in Spirit. I’m sorry that people I’ve come to love and care about will think I am being rude. God is not the author of confusion. Man(the flesh) is the author of confusion. God gives a sound mind, not one delirious. I could pull countless video of Kenneth Copeland, Heidi, and all preaching prosperity of the world and it all pushes the satisfaction of the flesh. The baptism of God is crucifixion of flesh. Please listen to what a nonbeliever says after going to church:

1 Corinthians 14:23-25
[23] If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad? [24] But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all: [25] And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.

Total chaos IMO. attended a church like this far too long...could not at all relate.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The best church we ever had fell away to the world. I weep at it after decades. Such wonderful oasis of healing and refreshing. But the leaders began to seek after a TV ministry and quit serving God and the people. As the anointing lifted the music got louder. My wife and I looked at each other the lasting we ever went knowing it was our last visit. Truly Ichabod could be placed over the door. The glory of God had left and we sadly saw it leave.

In many so called denominational churches into day the glory has never come yet nor would be welcome. Men's programs leave no room for God's moves.

Last edited:

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The biggest thing the Lord has shown me in a long time is that men worship the creations of their own minds and hand more than Him and His creation of salvation and all of its works.

These man made creations are the denominations where they make doctrines that set aside God's words and power and practice traditions that deny the power of God's Holy Spirit.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The best church we ever had fell away to the world. I weep at it after decades. Such wonderful oasis of healing and refreshing. But the leaders began to seek after a TV ministry and quit serving God and the people. As the anointing lifted the music got louder. My wife and I looked at each other the lasting we ever went knowing it was our last visit. Truly Ichabod could be placed over the door. The glory of God had left and we sadly saw it leave.

In many so called denominational churches into day the glory has never come yet nor would be welcome. Men's programs leave no room for God's moves.
We had the same experience. It wasn't the denomination, but the specific, individual congregation.... and the only other churches of the same denomination are over 50 miles away.

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our church was not a denomination but an independent church founded by Gene Mullenax. Gene had been healed in an A. A. Allen tent meeting in Little Rock Arkansas. God gave him a brand new lung to replace one removed by surgery. The FBI investigated and was never heard from again. Amazingly Gene had been a member years earlier of the Broadmoor Nazarene church which sat across the street from my childhood home. He told me he recalled visiting to invite us to church. I was a mere child but one of God's little jokes I suppose. I remember Gene joyfully dancing on the piano one Sunday from sheer joy of being alive after his long struggle with deadly sickness. You don't get to see that too much.

The church was wonderful and we saw many miracles. It was there the elders anointed and prayed for my wife and I to have children. That was 1978 and we'd been married in 1966.

A license was available for a TV station and Gene got it in his head that we were to have it. Chasing after this cost the people a fine worship place. Going on forty years now we yet lament it's demise. We never found a place that equaled it. In the early 80's God was moving mightily and we were eye witnesses.

Everyone was welcome. The poorest of the poor were treated as royalty. We had wonderful guest speakers every week that truly spoke for God. Nora Lam visited (China cry, one of her books) and Randy Cutlipp, former three dog night rock group keyboardist. Many others came All with exciting testimonies.

But Ichabod came and we left. Alas

Reactions: Willie T

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The beliefs you stated for yourself to me have the ring of denominational indoctrination. As the Holy Spirit made plain to me, men cling to, worship as it were, the teachings, traditions of their denomination rather than to God's word. Realize that when you refer to God's gift as BABBLE you slight God's gift. Tongues of men and of angels God's word states.

The primary purpose of speaking in tongues is for the building up of the believer as is reiterated by brother Jude, vs 20. I have practiced this for more than 40 years.

You can be saved and not speak in tongues but I blame the denominations that teach against the gifts for instilling actual fear in those that would otherwise readily accept the clearly stated word of God.

The gift of tongues is as all gifts of the Holy Spirit highly adaptable. The gift of tongues can be used to;

1. Deliver messages in a congregation of believers which will then be interpreted by another.

2. Giving thanks and praise unto God.... Giveth thanks well...

3. As on the original Pentecost being used to speak to those whose language you do not know. In the book "Before we kill and eat you" (H. B. Garlic. This book is available from several sources and can I believe be downloaded for free as a pdf) my brother worked with the daughter of this African missionary couple, Garlock and his wife. In the book Garlic was captured by viscious cannibals and death was immanent. Garlic according to his own account, began to speak to the Tribe in another language, apparently theirs. They fell silent and when he ceased speaking they fell down and made obeisance to him. Garlic and his group was released and helped on their way. Tjis took place in the 1920s or 30's.

4. The wonderful gift of tongues is the only way you can pray without ceasing. Your spirit prays and your understanding is bypassed.

5. Intercessory prayer in the spirit, tongues that is, is a call to prayer by the Holy Spirit and is referenced in the book of Job.

Job 32:18-20 KJVS
For I am full of matter, (matter = speaking, words, talking) the spirit within me constraineth ( moves, compels, urges strongly) me.
[19] Behold, my belly is as wine which hath no vent; it is ready to burst like new bottles. [20] I will speak, that I may be refreshed: I will open my lips and answer.

Having experienced this from time to time I discerned the meaning of these scriptures immediately as I read them decades ago.

An internal pressing of the Spirit within and an uncomfortable urge to begin to pray in the spirit, tongues, prayer in the Holy Ghost, arises and only by prayer at length will the pressure diminish. Sometimes this call to intercession is only for ten or fifteen minutes but other times may last for an hour or more. Relief (refer to vs 20) comes as the call to intercessory prayer from the Holy Spirit is answered. The internal pressure is relieved and you know that you have accomplished in prayer what God wanted from you.

This has to be experienced to be understood and I appreciate the Lord placing these explanatory scriptures in Job.

As I've written elsewhere on this site God gave me the interpretation of the tongues I was speaking in to tell me my wife was with child. After 14 childless years God had promised to send us a son. On October 9th,1979 He told me by tongues and interpretation that He had done what he had promised. I have the interpretation written on a plaque that hangs in our living room. Our son is now 38, born 9 months after the word.

Whether a believer speaks in tongues or not is pretty much up to them. It's a gift available to whosoever will. As is usual with men they complicate the simple things of God and make them impossibly hard. This is the work of the natural mind.

The blame for the fear of this gift must lie at the feet of those individuals and denominations that vehemently teach against the gift of God. They don't enter in themselves and hinder all who would.

This hindrance, this denial originates with Satan who wants to dissuade every believer from receiving the power, the dunamis, that comes with the in filling of the, Holy Spirit and thence receiving the multi-faceted gift of tongues.

I have nothing to sell. I push no denomination but only relate the things I've seen and heard from the Lord God as they agree with the written words of God.

For those that fear the gifts of God I pray you cleave to God and cast aside the denominational traditions and doctrines that have implanted unbelief and distrust of the plainly stated scriptures on these subjects.

Frank, I can assure you there is no denominational ring to my beliefs in the least. I'm set again any denominationalism in general, including yours and others - no preferential treatment given to any one.

Also, I guess because I mentioned in my last post to you that 'babble' speech may not be the speech of God, then it was inferred by some, and maybe yourself that I then have had no communication with the heavenlies. And I do understand then why.

As I said this, ".... Some then will say that it is just a language communicated in the spirit and only to God and no one else. I’m not so convinced even that this is truth."

Well this is not true either. I do not speak or receive 'babble.' I've experienced and received comprehensible words or syllables in clear English language from angels and even Christ himself - I can not clearly delineate from which at times. It definitely does not occur on a regular basis, only infrequently and only when I'm deep in the spirit and I'm earnestly asking questions or my heart really aches for help. I get quick and concise answers every time in an authoritarian and sincere tone.

I remember when my wife even received a message from an angel (as she said) concerning her possible pregnancy. We were waiting 4 years and counting....it was always on her mind, after she got home after a tiring workday. Because she was knew her body well, she suddenly began praying to God if she was pregnant. She said, suddenly a deep male voice came from behind her and said, "yes." By faith we made a doctor appointment ASAP, for the following week and later the test results confirmed what the voice said....I believe she was given a heavenly response to her prayer.

Bless you,

APAK

Reactions: Taken and Nancy

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The notion that speaking in another language (tongue) for the benefit of another or others is prevalent today is false, as far as scripture. All present at Pentecost were heard speaking in other foreign languages for the benefit of performing God’s work.

APAK,

Have you overlooked these verses from I Cor 14? They refute your view:

2 For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to people but to God. Indeed, no one understands them; they utter mysteries by the Spirit.... 4 Anyone who speaks in a tongue edifies themselves, but the one who prophesies edifies the church. 5 I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but even more to prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets, so that the church may be edified.

6 Now, brothers and sisters, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction?... 9 Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air. 10 Undoubtedly there are all sorts of languages in the world, yet none of them is without meaning. 11 If then I do not grasp the meaning of what someone is saying, I am a foreigner to the speaker, and the speaker is a foreigner to me. 12 So it is with you. Since you are eager for gifts of the Spirit, try to excel in those that build up the church.

13 For this reason the one who speaks in a tongue should pray that they (sic) may interpret what they say (NIV).​

So the person who speaks in tongues by himself/herself is speaking to God and not to people. In 2018 there is a definite place for the God-given gift of tongues for private use.

But in the church or small group, tongues needs an interpreter to edify/build up the church.

To say tongues is 'false', violates these Scriptures. Could it be that you come to these Scriptures with a presuppositional bias against the continuing gifts of the Spirit?

Oz

Reactions: Willie T

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our church was not a denomination but an independent church founded by Gene Mullenax. Gene had been healed in an A. A. Allen tent meeting in Little Rock Arkansas. God gave him a brand new lung to replace one removed by surgery. The FBI investigated and was never heard from again. Amazingly Gene had been a member years earlier of the Broadmoor Nazarene church which sat across the street from my childhood home. He told me he recalled visiting to invite us to church. I was a mere child but one of God's little jokes I suppose. I remember Gene joyfully dancing on the piano one Sunday from sheer joy of being alive after his long struggle with deadly sickness. You don't get to see that too much.

The church was wonderful and we saw many miracles. It was there the elders anointed and prayed for my wife and I to have children. That was 1978 and we'd been married in 1966.

A license was available for a TV station and Gene got it in his head that we were to have it. Chasing after this cost the people a fine worship place. Going on forty years now we yet lament it's demise. We never found a place that equaled it. In the early 80's God was moving mightily and we were eye witnesses.

Everyone was welcome. The poorest of the poor were treated as royalty. We had wonderful guest speakers every week that truly spoke for God. Nora Lam visited (China cry, one of her books) and Randy Cutlipp, former three dog night rock group keyboardist. Many others came All with exciting testimonies.

But Ichabod came and we left. Alas
Believe me, I fully understand the loss you still feel. Those places seldom come around twice in a lifetime.

Reactions: Nancy

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To deniers the scripture has made adequate provision.

1 Corinthians 14:37-39 KJVS
If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.
[38] But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant.
[39] Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jeepers ...days after being healed and Baptized in the Holy Spirit ...I just touched 2 people and
they were healed! i didn't even pray silently for them like I do ....one was an atheist
with a con-genital hip issue! (2009)
I mean it...wow.
Last year I was in a Sports bar, talked with a homeless looking guy..he told me about some
very sad health issues he had for a long time, he was scared. I put my hand on his shoulder,
nonchalantly (I'm attractive, I get away with that), I silently talked to the Holy Spirit.
One month later I go back ...I didn't recognize him and he squeezed me to death...he shaved,
cut his hair, got new clothes and said i healed him...the very next morning all his problems were gone.
Wowsa...we had talked a lot about God...never told him I prayed for him or anything, but he knew...cuz it was a pretty inspired talk!! LOL ;)

THAT is the power of God.