Remarriage

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
The King says that it can only be done if your spouse has died.

Why then do Christians do it?

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. Jesus answered that question... God showed mercy in light of the hardness of mans heart.
2. I have a follow-up question. Why dif God allow polygamy?

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. But in the same sentence Jesus rescinded that law.

2. You answered your own question, because of the hardness of man’s heart.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not on number two. In fact, God gave David wives (plural).

Furthermore, not so in point one. Divorce was made legal in the law. Before the law, it wasn't so.
Just wondering... how many folks here know God himself is a polygamist, and also divorced one of his wives?

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
The King never endorsed remarriage for any other reason but death of the spouse.

And polygamy and divorce was given to man because of their hard hearts. God never wanted that. Or else Adam would have had ten eves.

the stranger

Mar 12, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
In the Mosiac law of divorce it allowed remarriage afterwards and this was directed as to the wife as so she could be taken care of. In the NT Jesus states divorce is applical on grounds of cheating. Having more than one wife was never Gods intention however in some cases I see why it played out that way as it was required to take care of a wife of family where is the husband died as for the brother ect. Though it was written with the intent of the unmarried likely but not conclusive. Also it was a curse (or felt as) not having a baby (a son) so many wives that could not bear children had other wives, or second class wives, for this very purpose. Anyhow, upon the leaving of ones spouse the partner is no longer under any obligation to stay married and many find biblical grounds for the same freedom for those wives who are neglected, beaten, and uncared for. This is a lack of responsibility, thus the whole purpose as to why a man who raped a woman (thus making it very hard for marriage for her) had to marry and never divorce her ensuring her well being all of her days.

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are no grounds of any kind for divorce and remarriage while both spouses are still living!
The only reason for remarriage is if one spouse die and either one can marry only to another Christian
(I Corinthians 7:39).

It's true God set up a temporary law in Deuteronomy 24:1-4 so He could divorce the Nation of Israel and this divorce culminated when the veil of the temple was torn in half to signal the separation between God and Israel. You did know of this right? And, did you also know that Deuteronomy 24 is also teaching a fundamental spiritual principle right? Of course you do for if without this law the true believers can never enter the kingdom of God.

You do know that God punished David for the way he acquired Bathsheba and had Uriah killed, by taking away their son at two years old right? Also, God took away all the riches He gave to David and Bathsheba's son, Solomon specially the gift of salvation right? Yet we read in Scripture that David was
after God's own heart.

There are consequences when man disobeys God!

I don't think you got the gist of Matthew 19:8. The marriage institution was first instituted by God at the Garden of Eden between Adam and Eve. It has never been abrogated until God instituted the temporary law of Deuteronomy 24 so that He could divorce National Israel but Jesus rescinded that temporary law in Matthew 19:8.

If I were you, I wouldn't go around making assertions that God is a polygamist specially if your claim is unwarranted and not supported by Scripture. This is an outright lie and a heresy!

As far as I know. the marriage and divorce of God with the Nation of Israel is the only event that is ever recorded in the Bible.

To God Be The Glory

Reactions: Angelina

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
It's true God set up a temporary law in Deuteronomy 24:1-4 so He could divorce the Nation of Israel and this divorce culminated when the veil of the temple was torn in half to signal the separation between God and Israel.
People have been using this a reason for divorce but this was an analogy that God was using in relation to unfaithful Israel due to her many prostitutions...God's plan was to reunite both Israel and the Gentile nations via the promises made to Abraham and his seed.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jun2u said:
There are no grounds of any kind for divorce and remarriage while both spouses are still living!
The only reason for remarriage is if one spouse die and either one can marry only to another Christian
(I Corinthians 7:39).

It's true God set up a temporary law in Deuteronomy 24:1-4 so He could divorce the Nation of Israel and this divorce culminated when the veil of the temple was torn in half to signal the separation between God and Israel. You did know of this right? And, did you also know that Deuteronomy 24 is also teaching a fundamental spiritual principle right? Of course you do for if without this law the true believers can never enter the kingdom of God.

You do know that God punished David for the way he acquired Bathsheba and had Uriah killed, by taking away their son at two years old right? Also, God took away all the riches He gave to David and Bathsheba's son, Solomon specially the gift of salvation right? Yet we read in Scripture that David was
after God's own heart.

There are consequences when man disobeys God!

I don't think you got the gist of Matthew 19:8. The marriage institution was first instituted by God at the Garden of Eden between Adam and Eve. It has never been abrogated until God instituted the temporary law of Deuteronomy 24 so that He could divorce National Israel but Jesus rescinded that temporary law in Matthew 19:8.

If I were you, I wouldn't go around making assertions that God is a polygamist specially if your claim is unwarranted and not supported by Scripture. This is an outright lie and a heresy!

As far as I know. the marriage and divorce of God with the Nation of Israel is the only event that is ever recorded in the Bible.

To God Be The Glory
You reallt ought not to accuse me so quickly of lying and blasphemy without gathering the facts first. I may have scripture on my side.

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
I hold fast to The King.

He said no divorce, except for adultery.

No remarriage, except when the spouse dies.

That's Our Sovereign Lord saying that. There are NO exceptions. And in fact, he'd rather there be reconciliation over divorce; just as God reconciled his relationship with us through Grace.

Its clear, no way to misinterpret.

Reactions: Born_Again

hopefuldivider

Mar 12, 2015
Middle of Nowhere
pom2014 said:
I hold fast to The King.

He said no divorce, except for adultery.

No remarriage, except when the spouse dies.

That's Our Sovereign Lord saying that. There are NO exceptions. And in fact, he'd rather there be reconciliation over divorce; just as God reconciled his relationship with us through Grace.

Its clear, no way to misinterpret.
This is my understanding of this issue:

Divorce is allowable in two situations; adultery (Matthew 19:9) and when one in the marriage is not a Christian and they desire a divorce (I Cor. 7:15). In both of these cases, remarriage is an option as, in Matthew 19:9, remarriage after divorce for adultery is exempted from being itself adultery and in I Cor. 7:15 the person is no longer bound to the other and as such falls under I Cor. 7:8-9. These, along with the situation of death, constitute the only Biblical cases of remarriage.

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
Hopeful look at verse ten.

This is Paul saying this not God. This is an opinion not divine command of our sovereign.

The rule is not negotiable. Paul is not the King.

No divorce save for adultery.
No remarriage until death.

hopefuldivider

Mar 12, 2015
Middle of Nowhere
pom2014 said:
Hopeful look at verse ten.

This is Paul saying this not God. This is an opinion not divine command of our sovereign.
I can certainly see how you could come to this conclusion I must disagree for a couple of reasons.

1 Corinthians 7:10-15:

(10) And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband:
(11) But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife.
(12) But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.
(13) And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.
(14) For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.
(15) But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

If verse 15 truly contradicts God's decree in verses 10 and 11, then Paul is clearly teaching someone to disobey God. If this is the case then all of Paul's writing must be suspect. While these words may not be binding on all Christians as commandment, I fail to see how they could be contradictory.

On this same note, if we are to interpret verses 10 and 11 as strictly as you seem to want us to, then Jesus would have contradicted these words as well, as he said it was okay to divorce in cases of adultery but here there is no exception given and husbands are forbidden from putting their wives away.

And if Paul is teaching people to disobey God here, why would he have allowed such to stand in the scriptures throughout time?

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FHII

I can only react to what you say. You still nave not given any scripture at all to back up your claims. If you really had any scriptures you would have jotted them down already.

So please don't get touchy and defensive.

Angelina

Although I believe that everything in the Bible inter-relates, yet, I'm confident that Deuteronomy 24 has anything to do with God's plan to reunite both National Israel and the Gentile Nations via the promises made to Abraham and his seed as you've said.

We read in Deuteronomy 22 that when a married woman commits adultery she is to be stoned to death. God could not kill National Israel for adultery, although He was married to her, because the Lord Jesus
still had to be born from her.

Does a true believer still sin (spiritual fornication) after salvation? Most definitely! If indeed you are a true believer, would you not be happy that God cannot divorce you, kill you for spiritual adultery and fornication?

Note the careful language God crafted in Deuteronomy 24:1 that ONLY a man can divorce the wife and NOT a wife can divorce the husband For this was God's intention all along to divorce Israel!

Praise God the believer is not in jeopardy of losing his salvation because the Lord Jesus took care of that in Mt. 19:8 and ultimately on the cross.

Praise God from whom all blessings flow.

Pom2014

You should restudy Mt. 19:4-8

hopefuldivider

There are no grounds for divorce whatsoever (I Corinthians 7:39).

To God Be The Glory

Can any one show me how to Quote and Paste?

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jun2u said:
FHII

I can only react to what you say. You still nave not given any scripture at all to back up your claims. If you really had any scriptures you would have jotted them down already.

So please don't get touchy and defensive.
?
I suspect by your reaction you wouldn't care if I did give scripture. Your mind seems to be settled

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suspect by your reaction you wouldn't care if I did give scripture. Your mind seems to be settled
[SIZE=12pt]Since you have no idea I will tell you about myself.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]By the grace of God I have become saved through the washing of regeneration by the word. As I am a child of God who is still learning and teachable in all things pertaining to God I will lend my ears to anyone for the opportunity to be heard.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]With that said I now invite you to give a scripture text or two if you will.[/SIZE]

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't think I would remarry, but now I am open to it.
I didn't think I would remarry, but now I am open to it.

Reactions: Born_Again

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I haven't really ruled it out either. Remembering, mine ended on an adulterous note...... I didn't think I would want anything to do with having to go through that again. But, now that time has passed and the heart has healed, I can see where I may consider it again at some point. I really have no desire to live the rest of my life alone...... And, yes, the Lord is always with me but I find myself just wanting to have someone to talk to, take to dinner, watch movies with, cook for, etc....... So no, I haven't ruled it out.

As it currently stands though, I am devoting my time to my children. I have the opportunity to be the father they need me to be.

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
Hopeful the opinion of a believer doesn't supersede royal decree.

The suggestion of Paul is left in scripture because of the fear to ads or remove from it was great.

But remove and some did. This was left because it facilitated the Levite ways that many still cling to. But thankfully, if you file t The King you see the error of taking an opinion as gospel.

I'm not a paulist.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pom - people should not be punished for entering into a contract in good faith which does not happen to work out. Especially if they agree to dissolve the contract in good faith. Nor do I believe I need to pay the Vatican soi can get remarried.