research question regarding grace

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
ethicsguy

Where the hell are you ?
Did you get your questions answered ?
You said you wanted discussions
Get yur' arse back here !!
I talk like a humanist
hehehe

Sammy

Jun 5, 2013
The question I put forward is this: Would it be appropriate to add the concept that a person must truly attempt to be a "good" person (although not have to succeed at it) to be able to obtain access to heaven.

The answer is yes.

Though, you do not have to add it, that is the concept itself. A lot of Christians assert that salvation comes by grace and nothing else. They are terribly afraid of the word "Earn", as if trying to be good and get to heaven to live with God would be a bad thing. In order to doctrinalize this concept, they take excerpts from a couple of Paul's writings and turn into something that is out of context with the rest of the Bible. They would have people think that you cannot and most definitely should not try to earn heaven. They say there is nothing you can possibly do because it is a free gift from God.

But as I think you were alluding to, wouldn't that mean that every single person born on Earth would then be saved? If we have to do nothing, if it is free from God, then everyone is saved - if we follow that line of thinking through logically. Ah, but the saved by grace Christian will assert that one must accept Jesus' sacrifice and confess with their lips that He is the Christ. Moreover, one must become a Christian, they say. Well, that to me sounds like a whole lot of doing and earning your way! They don't want to admit it, but the concept of earning heaven, of being good and keeping the commandments of God is an absolute requirement for salvation. They wont say it that way to you, but the salvation by grace Christians believe that you earn heaven by accepting god and becoming a Christian (even having like a time stamp on the day and time they have done this) and that those who do not do this have earned damnation.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
ethicsguy said:
Hi.

I need some assistance from others who look at religious life differently from the way I do.

I am religious but in a different (not better) way. I do not have the personal resources, as you most likely do, to obtain a personal relationship with Christ. I have done extensive graduate work, and study, in the area of comparative religion and ethics. The best description for my life is that I am an ethical humanist. For me, attempting to assist our society in an effort to improve the human ethical endeavor fulfills me.

Herein lies my problem. I have a thought regarding a possible enhancement possibility for human ethical behavior. However, I do not want to assume that I know which way a person with a personal relation with Christ would think about this idea.

*Please, if this philosophical side of Christianity does not interest you, please disregard this post, and I thank you for your time.*

The question concerns the Christian concept of Grace ("the free and unmerited favor of God, as manifested in the salvation of sinners and the bestowal of blessings"). At its base this means that you need not be an ethically "good" person to achieve heaven when you die (although Christian teaching obviously does highly encourage this positive behavior).

The question I put forward is this: Would it be appropriate to add the concept that a person must truly attempt to be a "good" person (although not have to succeed at it) to be able to obtain access to heaven.

I request just a yes or no response.

(The reasons behind either response are easily understood and well known.

I desire to know how Christians as a whole would feel about this.

*The reason behind my question is because of a base situation found within Christianity itself. Not everyone associated with Christianity is as strong in their belief system as yourselves. The concept of Grace can set up in the "common" Christian a sub-conscious reality that one need not try hard to be "good" since they know they will obtain heaven regardless. I believe that this sub-conscious factor has added to the current (universally accepted) understanding that there is an ever growing degradation of ethics in our society as a whole.

I personally think that adding such a requirement to the afterlife would strengthen both society in general and Christianity in particular. However, I do not want to presume that everyone would agree to this concept. Hence, my question.

I would like to know very much how you feel about this idea. (By the way, I also have a possible solution as to how this alteration could be accepted amongst religious society, if any one is curious.)

I greatly appreciate your time.

If you appreciate thought provoking questions like this, please let me know.

I have one other major question to ask, but will not ask it unless you are receptive to this type of topic.

If I may have offended anyone with this question you have my sincerest apologies. It certainly is not my intention to offend.

Thank you.

Grace is misunderstood by those seeking to benefit from it personally.

Grace is actually the power God gives us to live as Jesus did.

2Co_12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.