Revelation 17

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here goes then: and I will not respond to thread after this. PM me if you have questions.

Rev.17:1-2 -- the "great whore" sits upon "many waters", and those waters are defined in the 15th verse as "peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues". That means the whole world basically is what she sits upon.

v.3 -- this "woman" is that same "great whore" that sits upon the waters. Further, she sits upon a scarlet colored beast that has "seven heads and ten horns". That is the 1st beast of Rev.13:1. It is pointing to it being a kingdom type beast, ten horns which are ten kings we are told later, and seven mountains, and ten crowns. That is the system the "woman" sits upon. She is not that beast, but she represents power over it.

v.4-6 -- the "woman" is a harlot, and in connection with the concept of ancient Babylon involving an old mystery. Important to note that ancient Sumer-Babylon was the very first place on earth that began pagan idol worship. That is where Baal worship began with Sargon I, one whom the Sumerians called 'son of Bel' (or son of the Dragon), this per the Assyrian tablets. So forget pictures of pagan Rome, what Lord Jesus is pointing us back in history to goes way back further in earth's history. It involved persecution of Israel's saints in Old Testament times, and also Christ's saints during New Covenant times, and also all the way up to the end of this world. That is how far reaching the timeline of this mystery reaches.

v. 7 -- begin explanation of that the 'mystery' about the "woman", and the 1st beast that carries her that has the seven heads and ten horns.

v.8 -- this beast comes up out of the bottomless pit, so it is in association with the 2nd beast of Rev.13:11, the "another beast" that comes up out of the earth, is to appear on earth with two horns LIKE a lamb (Jesus), but will speak as a dragon (another title for Satan per Rev.12:9). This false one is a person that will work great signs and miracles. It is the coming Antichrist, the pseudo-Christ which Lord Jesus warned about for the tribulation per His Olivet discourse. It is the "man of sin" Paul warned of sitting in a new temple in Jerusalem proclaiming to be God, and over all that is called God, or that is worshipped. This beast is... the "dragon", Satan himself, booted down to this earth per Rev.12:7 forward.

Per Rev.9:11, we are told 2 more titles of this 2nd beast that ascends out of the bottomless pit. His name is also the Destroyer per the Greek and Hebrew given there. He is that angel king over the bottomless pit. Per Rev.11, he will ascend out of that bottomless pit to kill God's two witnesses in Jerusalem at the end of this world.

This 2nd beast originally "was", when he first was exalted in God's Garden of Eden (see Ezekiel 28 and Ezekiel 31). He was made more beautiful and higher than all the symbolic trees in God's Garden. He was originally perfect in his ways, before iniquity was found in him. He was the 'anointed cherub that covereth', meaning it was originally his job to guard God's Throne. He rebelled in coveting God's Throne, so God ended that old world, and brought this present world. This is why the Rev.12:3-4 verses are timed together about the one third of angels ("stars") he drew in rebellion with him in that old world when he first rebelled against The Father and The Son. We are to note that Rev.12:3-4 event before getting to the Rev.13 beasts which are for the end of this world.

He "and is not" is put for when God ended that old world when Satan first rebelled. God ended Satan's beast kingdom he had setup back then that had only "seven crowns" per Rev.12:3-4.

He "yet is" is for the beast system of Rev.13 for the end of this world. Those whose names were not written in the Book of Life from the foundation of this world will wonder at who he is when he arrives on the world scene for the coming tribulation. Lord Jesus in John 14:30 warned us that he is coming. This is the MYSTERY about the Babylon Harlot, it is about worship of Satan himself in place of God.

v.9 -- this is about the beast kingdom of Rev.13:1, the 1st beast, the "seven heads" are "seven mountains". Stuck in the 'seven hills' idea is too limiting for the real idea it applies to with Satan's original beast system that had "seven heads" but only "seven crowns" of Rev.12:3-4 in the old world. They point to seven regions of the earth, basically as a label for the whole earth. The Rev.13:1 beast kingdom for the end will cover the whole earth too.

v.10 -- the seven kings are for this present world. Five were fallen already in John's day, which would point to past beast kings and kingdoms like Egypt, Assyria, Babylon, Medo-Persia, Grecia. The 6th beast king was in John's day, which would be pagan Rome under Domitian. The 7th king was not yet come in John's day, which is for the very end of this world as the coming Antichrist, or 2nd beast of Rev.13:11 forward. The 7th king is pointing to the time of "great tribulation" at the end of this world, which is the time of "short space" Antichrist will work.

v.11 -- the beast of verse 8 that ascends out of the bottomless pit, and will go into perdition. His already being assigned to perdition in the future lake of fire reveals also that this is Satan being pointed to, because as of today no flesh born man has been judged and sentenced to perish in the lake of fire, not yet for that day of Judgement by Christ has not come yet. But Satan and his angels already have been judged and sentenced to perish (Matthew 25:41; Isaiah 30:33). He also is 'of' the previous seven kings, meaning he's behind all of them, which is actually another pointer directly to Satan as this beast king.

v.12-13 -- the ten horns are ten kings, and reign concurrently "one hour" with the beast king. This is the pattern of the ten horns in the Book of Daniel, and with another "little horn" that comes up among the ten to rule over all. The "little horn" represents the coming Antichrist, a beast king for the end. What is that "one hour"? The "one hour" represents the "short time" the dragon has once he is booted out of heaven down to our earth. It is the "short space" above in this Rev.17 chapter. It represents the time at the very end of this world, the tribulation of 1260 days, or 42 months the dragon is to have power over the saints.

v.14 -- the ten kings and beast king, will make war with Christ when He comes, so by that we well know the timing for this is at the very end of this world in the final generation, the one that will see Christ's return.

v.15 -- the "waters" the "great whore" sits upon are explained.

v.16 -- the ten horns will hate the whore, and make her desolate. That again reveals the beast kingdom (of ten horns, seven heads, and ten crowns) is not the "great whore". Nor is the beast king (Antichrist) the "great whore". She is revealed later, at the end of the chapter.

v.17 -- God has ordained this beast system for the end, and is going to use this event to test this final generation with, including us, Christ's Church, for we will be here through the tribulation. Jesus comes to gather us after it, like He said.

v.18 -- the Babylon Harlot revealed, she is "a great city". It is about JERUSALEM in a fallen worship state for the end of this world. Ezekiel 16 is where God spoke of the old city of Jebus that the pagans had possession of early in this world, and then Israel under king David took it and renamed it Jerusalem. God spoke of how He took her when she was all bloodied, and cleansed her, put precious clothing and jewels on her, and covered her with His skirt (a symbol for marriage), but then she went and played the HARLOT!

If you don't study Ezekiel 16 where God first applied the HARLOT symbol to Jerusalem when His people fell away into pagan idolatry, and in bed with the lovers of Baal worship, etc., then you may not understand why God would use this MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT symbol for the end, and you further probably are deceived as to Satan coming to Jerusalem for the end to play God, and deceive the whole world, except Christ's elect.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear Mary,

Please be aware that I'm not Catholic, and don't particularly agree with many Catholic practices, -- however I also don't agree with many of the Protestant practices. But I DO understand respective portions of Bible Prophecy. And it DOES bother me when ignorant people use their ignorance of the Bible to bash others unjustifiably, -- specifically using Rev. 17 which has NOTHING TO DO with the Catholic Church or "Rome" or any such affiliation. And I suppose it grieves GOD when HE sees people abusing HIS Prophetic Tools in such a fashion.

Unfortunately these individuals aren't interested in the TRUTH of Scripture and History, and so they are as SAUL before he became PAUL.

With my SINCERE apologies,
Bobby Jo :)
Thank you Bobby Jo. God willing one day we will fulfill Jesus prayer that we all become One.

Love the picture of the Boston Terrier. I have one. He is 13 yoa and IF I was to get another dog it would be another Boston Terrier.

God Bless.....Mary

Reactions: Bobby Jo

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why don't you read and study History of the Christian Church by Philip Schaff? Here is what he said and it is historically true:

"...Constantine, the first Christian Caesar, the founder of Constantinople and the Byzantine empire, and one of the most gifted, energetic, and successful of the Roman emperors, was the first representative of the imposing idea of a Christian theocracy, or of that system of policy which assumes all subjects to be Christians, connects civil and religious rights, and regards church and state as the two arms of one and the same divine government on earth...Constantine adopted Christianity first as a superstition, and put it by the side of his heathen superstition, till finally in his conviction the Christian vanquished the pagan, though without itself developing into a pure and enlightened faith..."

In plain English pagan Rome became Christian Rome outwardly, though only a few would be genuine Christians inwardly. The real issue is whether you desire truth or fables.
Soooo you found a Protestant theologian that you agree with. I bet I can find many more that you don't agree with....;)

I desire truth and not your fables kiddo.....

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rome is alive and well in the Vatican. Or is that news to you? The bishop of Rome is Pontifex Maximus, and is that news to you?

Again, the EMPIRE OF ROME IS DEAD. And if you believe that John's Prophecies in Rev. 17 pertain to any particular Christian affiliation, -- you are incorrect.

But it's ok, -- incorrect doctrines are a common occurrence in both secular and religious societies on a MULTITUDE of aspects. And some pursue their FALSE doctrines in spite of being admonished, and so having warned them, I leave them to their "reward".

But if any should wish to INVESTIGATE the pro's and con's, then I'm MORE than happy to engage.

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you Bobby Jo. God willing one day we will fulfill Jesus prayer that we all become One.

Love the picture of the Boston Terrier. I have one. He is 13 yoa and IF I was to get another dog it would be another Boston Terrier.

God Bless.....Mary

Dearest Mary,

So YOU KNOW that the breed has divergent eyesight. And where my wife picked the Breed, the Gender, the Color, and the Personality, -- I chose the NAME, "Elam", after the "Western" actor Jack Elam who had a "wall eye" due to an injury. And at the age of 10 he's slowly going blind with cataracts, but he still hears EVERYTHING. -- He simply chooses to ignore it! :D

With VERY BEST Regards,
Bobby Jo

Last edited:
Reactions: Marymog

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
FYI...this thread is NOT about the Catholic church so please do not turn it into one.
Here are the main points.
1. Mystery Babylon...who is it
2. She sits on the city of 7 hills/mountains..what city is this?
3. Surrounded by water
4. Made rich with the merchant ships
5. Other nations are drunk with her wine.
Sorry H2S, but if you are being honest in your studying of Revelation 17, and wanting everyones contributions that you may learn, then you can't reject one perspective that for 1000 years bar the last 100 years, was the principle understanding of Biblical scholarship, and with good reason.

Reactions: BarneyFife

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
NEWS FLASH:
ROME IS DEAD and has been for some 1,400 years; another (ITALY) occupies that ancient geography; and no one but the Italians pay taxes to Italy.​

And if people don't believe History, then maybe they should believe Scripture! :)

Bobby Jo
Aren't you ruling out the possibility of symbolic language in Scripture, especially in apocalyptic books?

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... you can't reject one perspective that for 1000 years bar the last 100 years, was the principle understanding of Biblical scholarship, and with good reason.

Ummmmmmmm, -- WITHOUT good reason.

Perhaps people had no clue what Scripture and History might ACCURATELY fulfill, and simply threw whatever might seem to stick, even though it didn't, and never will.

Dan. 12:4 But you, Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, until the time of the end. Many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall increase.” ...
9 He said, “Go your way, Daniel, for the words are shut up and sealed until the time of the end.

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Aren't you ruling out the possibility of symbolic language in Scripture, especially in apocalyptic books?

If by "symbolic" you're suggesting that there's no LITERAL fulfillment, -- then yes, Scripture and History rule out "symbolic" assignments which are only proposed because the presenter is ignorant. :eek:

Deut. 18:21 And if you say in your heart, ‘How may we know the word which the Lord has not spoken?’— 22 when a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord, if the word does not come to pass or come true, that is a word which the Lord has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously, you need not be afraid of him.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry H2S, but if you are being honest in your studying of Revelation 17, and wanting everyones contributions that you may learn, then you can't reject one perspective that for 1000 years bar the last 100 years, was the principle understanding of Biblical scholarship, and with good reason.
I have included the church in my thread but I just don't want it to be a Catholic bashing thread and become a heated debate between the Catholic members and the Protestant members because Rev 17 is more about kings and nations.... in my opinion

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If by "symbolic" you're suggesting that there's no LITERAL fulfillment, -- then yes, Scripture and History rule out "symbolic" assignments which are only proposed because the presenter is ignorant. :eek:

Deut. 18:21 And if you say in your heart, ‘How may we know the word which the Lord has not spoken?’— 22 when a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord, if the word does not come to pass or come true, that is a word which the Lord has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously, you need not be afraid of him.

The Bible is full of symbolism, and I've never heard of a rule that precludes God from symbolic-only prophetic expression. Scripture and History? Sweeping generalization, methinks.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Very good presentation here...is this your research?
Now ask this...which one is considered to be the nation that is powerful and all the other nations are drunk with her wine. And she makes herself rich through the ship merchant trade deals ? That sounds like the U.S. to me but England also.
Hi again Heart2Soul, Sorry for the delay in responding to you but I've only just had time to return to this thread.

Yes, I have done quite a bit of research on this subject. I should have indicated it was original but unless the material is my own I always state my sources.

Some folk are not prepared to accept that the whore of Babylon is a metaphorical entity, being simultaneously the woman that rides the beast and that great city which reigns over the kings (governments) of the earth.

The Bible frequently employs more than one "word picture" to describe the same thing. eg. Christians are both God's field and His building.

1Co 3:9 For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, you are God's building.

Also Christ is both the Good Shepherd and the Lamb that was slain.

A metaphor quite literally "carries the meaning across", and so because of the characteristics of the original geographical Babylon, where the same characteristics are evident at any other time or place, this gives cause to apply the name metaphorically, and the imagery of both whore and great city supply further emphasis of those characteristics.

Rev 17:15 Then he said to me, "The waters which you saw, where the harlot sits, are peoples, multitudes, nations, and tongues.

I notice Davy already posted this verse, and here we have the same proposition of more than one metaphor in play, with the great harlot sitting on both many waters and on a scarlet beast. Same woman, but a very interesting cross-reference to the beast who rises out of the sea in Revelation 13. The many waters of peoples, multitudes, nations, and tongues that the great harlot is shown sitting on is the same sea of sinful humanity that gives rise to the first beast in the form of a global superstructure upon which all the evils of Babylon sit and have their climax.

Isaiah uses the metaphor to show us the agitated characteristics of the wicked and what they yield:

Isa 57:20-21 But the wicked are like the troubled sea, When it cannot rest, Whose waters cast up mire and dirt. (21) "There is no peace," Says my God, "for the wicked."

Reactions: Heart2Soul