Rewire Your Heart youversion study

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did this one ten days ago actually. It seems interesting reading back on my thoughts on it. I think my mind was in other places, pretty low, because I don't think I was quite connecting to the passage or devotion here. My affections weren't into it. LOL. Let me try again.

Two statements stick out to me along with the scripture passage:

-How can our affections restrict us? It’s simple really. We don’t do anything we don’t want to do. We only ever do what we want.
-
The only way to do this is with the Gospel. Only the Gospel is beautiful enough to change our hearts and produce in it all the affections that will cause us to live new lives.

But reading some commentaries on the scriptures given, it reads quite different (well you said unique) as Hidden points out.

Here is a portion of one commentary I found:

biblehub.com/commentaries

Barney's Notes on the Bible: Our heart is enlarged - We have deep feelings, which naturally vent themselves in fervent and glowing language. The main idea here is, that he had a strong affection for them; a heart which embraced and loved them all, and which expressed itself in the language of deep emotion. He had loved them so that he was willing to be reproached, and to be persecuted, and to be poor, and to have his name cast out as evil. "I cannot be silent. I conceal or dissemble nothing. I am full of ardent attachment, and that naturally vents itself in the strong language which I have used." True attachment will find means of expressing itself. A heart full of love will give vent to its feelings. There will be no dissembling and hypocrisy there. And if a minister loves the souls of his people he will pour out the affections of his heart in strong and glowing language.

While not what the study suggests, I think openness is very important with God and others in fighting sin.

I think my thoughts at the time was outward environment. People and things. The point of the study is to look into OUR hearts though. LOL.

I get alot of argument about this scripture but the Holy Spirit is who told me this is what it meant...
Psalms 37 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
³ Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.
⁴ Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.

So I desired a new car...then the Holy Spirit said...He will give you the His desires...changing your desires from worldly to spiritual.

I think this is the scripture the author should have used here. :) I agree that whatever we want to do is what we will do. It is why it is important to transform our minds in the Word of God, so that we will delight in Him. Circumstances are constantly changing, but God never changes.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Barney's Notes on the Bible: Our heart is enlarged - We have deep feelings, which naturally vent themselves in fervent and glowing language. The main idea here is, that he had a strong affection for them; a heart which embraced and loved them all, and which expressed itself in the language of deep emotion. He had loved them so that he was willing to be reproached, and to be persecuted, and to be poor, and to have his name cast out as evil. "I cannot be silent. I conceal or dissemble nothing. I am full of ardent attachment, and that naturally vents itself in the strong language which I have used." True attachment will find means of expressing itself. A heart full of love will give vent to its feelings. There will be no dissembling and hypocrisy there. And if a minister loves the souls of his people he will pour out the affections of his heart in strong and glowing language.

Is that Barney's notes or Barnes' notes? I've been around awhile, and I'm not sure I've ever heard of Barney until now, LoL.

Whoever you are quoting, the last line is excellent. The apostles constantly gave the commandment, "Let love be without hypocrisy." The word hypocrite in Greek simply referred to an actor, so the command was not to let our love be an act; let it be real, such that others could see it was genuine.

And Paul spoke of this elsewhere as well. He told the Thessalonians the same thing:

So, affectionately longing for you, we were well pleased to impart to you not only the gospel of God, but our own souls also, for you had become dear to us. (1 Thessalonians 2:8)

I think this also goes back to what I was sharing with Lillygrace. Christianity was supposed to be about giving in receiving, in love and in all things.

Maybe I should invite a few more who might like this study : )

@lilygrace @thelord's_pearl

Reactions: Mayflower

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is that Barney's notes or Barnes' notes? I've been around awhile, and I'm not sure I've ever heard of Barney until now, LoL.

Whoever you are quoting, the last line is excellent. The apostles constantly gave the commandment, "Let love be without hypocrisy." The word hypocrite in Greek simply referred to an actor, so the command was not to let our love be an act; let it be real, such that others could see it was genuine.

And Paul spoke of this elsewhere as well. He told the Thessalonians the same thing:

So, affectionately longing for you, we were well pleased to impart to you not only the gospel of God, but our own souls also, for you had become dear to us. (1 Thessalonians 2:8)

I think this also goes back to what I was sharing with Lillygrace. Christianity was supposed to be about giving in receiving, in love and in all things.

Yeh. Barnes. Haha.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
O`nowhere you have to know
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

how come I was mentioned in this thread

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
how come I was mentioned in this thread

No worries. It's what's called "tagging" someone. We do that if we want to draw someone's attention to a thread they might like. You get a notification that way, which leads you to come check it out.

If it's not something you find interesting, no big deal. Just thought you might find it of interest maybe.
- H

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
O`nowhere you have to know
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No worries. It's what's called "tagging" someone. We do that if we want to draw someone's attention to a thread they might like. You get a notification that way, which leads you to come check it out.

If it's not something you find interesting, no big deal. Just thought you might find it of interest maybe.
- H
Oh I see, thanks. I have trouble with motivation due to anti-psychotic medication I'm on for having had extreme anxiety due to a situation so I have difficulty to read a lot unless it really interests me but thanks!

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks mayflower, I decided to buy the actual book ‘ rewire your heart ‘ to see the full context of his quotes and thoughts xx

Last edited:

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks mayflower, I decided to buy the actual book ‘ retire your heart ‘ to see the full context of his quotes and thoughts xx

Awesome!!! I like the added comments on the context of scripture, but like the author's thoughts too. :) I cannot actually tell in the about author. It is Thomas Nelson right, or is that just the publisher?

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the youversion, spoken word ministries gives the first ten days of the book. :)

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Awesome!!! I like the added comments on the context of scripture, but like the author's thoughts too. :) I cannot actually tell in the about author. It is Thomas Nelson right, or is that just the publisher?
No, the author is David Bowden.
I like buying the books so I can make notes and reflect on what is being said. I have on,y just started reading it as I have been at work.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, the author is David Bowden.
I like buying the books so I can make notes and reflect on what is being said. I have on,y just started reading it as I have been at work.

Thanks!!!! It wasn't really clear in the app