Righteousness and Holiness

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Someone who has a true openness and humility before God will act that way with others also, I think!

Much love!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s been my experience people will stay in their own ways if they so choose. Coming up from from a life of hatred and angry and resentful ways of hating my family and others it took Jesus to change my heart, @marks.

I still stuck in my ways until made effort to allow God to change my heart and my mind by giving me a new life because of the resurrection of Jesus Christ. All glory to him not myself.

People will still believe their own ways they were taught. Example I believe Jesus returned already, I believe the mark of the beast and the last days are over with, I believe that when we die we go on to be with the Lord but we are given spiritual bodies, I believe Satan doesn’t rule the earth anymore, and his demons are gone because of victory of Jesus over sin, death, hell, and Satan. I believe that people who die unbelieving will remain outside the gate of heavenly Jerusalem because God is a good God who is just, holy and righteous. I also believe that the darkness that tempted Satan still is there, and the light of Christ is only able to burn through it. I believe the Bible calls for us to be holy, but how many are gonna accept any of these things if they are not willing too?

That is the question my friend, @marks.

I don’t also expect anyone to believe me either it’s between them and God.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t also expect anyone to believe me either it’s between them and God.
Just so, and as far apart as you and I may be on those understandings, I perceive that in faith in Christ we are brothers.

Much love!

Reactions: MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Love you too. Take care, Mark.

I been on this damn phone to much today. Time to turn it off. Gonna listen to This someone shared with me.

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Love you too. Take care, Mark.

I been on this damn phone to much today. Time to turn it off. Gonna listen to This someone shared with me.

Tolstoy is great!

Have you read, Walk in the Light while there is Light? That's my favorite.

Much love!

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"9But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God’s own possession, to proclaim the virtues of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light. 10Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God..." 1 Peter 2:9-10

Who was once not a people, but are now the people of God?
we the gentiles other nations in a nut shell those saved

Reactions: Ferris Bueller

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is a video of my Pentecostal Holiness church. Not only is there a spirit of righteousness and holiness… But joy as well!

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Home of old-time religion! This is one happy dude!
Sometimes he does...for our own good! Sounds like a good Father to me!

Reactions: rockytopva

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's what I thought. But I will check out Hosea per Marks' suggestion.
what does paul write in Ephesians 2
Ephesians 2:12
King James Version

12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
compare 10Once you were not a people, "but now you are the people of God."..

Reactions: Ferris Bueller

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sounds about right. My Pastor used to say "We have entered into the already but not yet state of sanctification."

Ephesians 4:20-24 KJV
20) But ye have not so learned Christ;
21) If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:
22) That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
23) And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
24) And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

Already but not yet . . . I've heard that expression used. My problem is in reconciling the passages, they seem to talk about different things, but the same terms. It's this "old man" and "new man" stuff.

Colossians 3:9-10 KJV
9) Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;
10) And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:

This one seems to be saying, stop doing what it wrong, since you've already put off the old man . . . and you've already put on the new man. In Ephesians, we're told to put off the old man, and in so doing to stop doing what is wrong, and to begin to do righteousness.

This new man is said to be created in God's pattern, righteous, and "truly holy", or, as I'm learning that means, "holiness with intent". Holiness with intent can only mean God's holiness, as my holiness is towards Him. Just saying "my holiness" gives me much pause!

So there's another thing I have to deal with . . . Put on the new man, which is created after God, in righteousness and true holiness, if this is real, if it's true, and I'm going to accept it as true, what is this telling me?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what does paul write in Ephesians 2
Ephesians 2:12
King James Version

12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
compare 10Once you were not a people, "but now you are the people of God."..

Personally I find much information just expanding the context a bit . . .

Ephesians 2:11-22 KJV
11) Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;
12) That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
13) But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
14) For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
15) Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;
16) And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:
17) And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.
18) For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.
19) Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
20) And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
21) In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
22) In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

I'm not finding any place here that seems to me to be quoting from Hosea, like Peter does.

Isn't Paul here saying that those who were always strangers are now fellowcitizens? That those who were far away are now close?

Peter, writing to the "strangers of the diaspora",

1 Peter 2:9-12 KJV
9) But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
10) Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.
11) Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul;
12) Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation.

This part, "a chosen generation", that is, of the same ethnic origin who are chosen, i.e., the Jews, relate that to, "this generation shall not pass until all is fulfulled". But bunny trails aside . . .

Peter writing to the Jews having been scattered through these places, calls them a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a peculiar people. Each of these are in fulfillment of OT passages.

Who were not a people, and now are a people.

Hosea 1:9-10 KJV
9) Then said God, Call his name Loammi: for ye are not my people, and I will not be your God.
10) Yet the number of the children of Israel shall be as the sand of the sea, which cannot be measured nor numbered; and it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people, there it shall be said unto them, Ye are the sons of the living God.

Much love!

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Personally I find much information just expanding the context a bit . . .

Ephesians 2:11-22 KJV
11) Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;
12) That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
13) But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
14) For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
15) Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;
16) And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:
17) And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.
18) For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.
19) Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
20) And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
21) In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
22) In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

I'm not finding any place here that seems to me to be quoting from Hosea, like Peter does.

Isn't Paul here saying that those who were always strangers are now fellowcitizens? That those who were far away are now close?

Peter, writing to the "strangers of the diaspora",

1 Peter 2:9-12 KJV
9) But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
10) Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.
11) Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul;
12) Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation.

This part, "a chosen generation", that is, of the same ethnic origin who are chosen, i.e., the Jews, relate that to, "this generation shall not pass until all is fulfulled". But bunny trails aside . . .

Peter writing to the Jews having been scattered through these places, calls them a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a peculiar people. Each of these are in fulfillment of OT passages.

Who were not a people, and now are a people.

Hosea 1:9-10 KJV
9) Then said God, Call his name Loammi: for ye are not my people, and I will not be your God.
10) Yet the number of the children of Israel shall be as the sand of the sea, which cannot be measured nor numbered; and it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people, there it shall be said unto them, Ye are the sons of the living God.

Much love!
But in Romans it means the gentiles...

"...whom He prepared in advance for glory— 24including us, whom He has called not only from the Jews, but also from the Gentiles? 25As He says in Hosea:

“I will call them ‘My People’ who are not My people,

and I will call her ‘My Beloved’ who is not My beloved,”i26and,

“It will happen that in the very place where it was said to them,

‘You are not My people,’
they will be called ‘sons of the living God.’ ”

Romans 9:23-26

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@stunnedbygrace had written:

You can give me verses to try to convince me I am holy and I will believe they are severely misunderstood if the result is that men proclaim themselves holy.

To which you replied:

"you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God’s own possession" 1 Peter 2:9

But in Romans it means the gentiles...

"...whom He prepared in advance for glory— 24including us, whom He has called not only from the Jews, but also from the Gentiles? 25As He says in Hosea:

“I will call them ‘My People’ who are not My people,

and I will call her ‘My Beloved’ who is not My beloved,”i26and,

“It will happen that in the very place where it was said to them,

‘You are not My people,’
they will be called ‘sons of the living God.’ ”

Romans 9:23-26

So let's go back to where this began . . .

"9But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God’s own possession, to proclaim the virtues of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light. 10Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God..." 1 Peter 2:9-10

Who was once not a people, but are now the people of God?

You were quoting from Peter to show that Peter declared believers to be holy, being an "holy nation". I explored the context to show who Peter was talking about, that this is referring to Israel.

That Paul references that part of the passage which Peter also quotes, though towards something different, doesn't change that Peter is demonstrably speaking of the Jews in saying "holy nation" and "chosen people". As well as "royal priesthood". Again, each of these were written of Israel.

Remember, the point of my presentation is to show that Peter was referencing Israel in these three descriptions, to show the correct understanding of who is specifically being called an "holy nation" in this passage.

Much love!

Last edited: