Roe V. Wade

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just curious do you have some sources for that stat?
“A dated 1998 study — published by the International Family Planning Perspectives journal — reported that a 1987-1988 survey found that 2.8 percent of 1,773 women who had had an abortion that year said the reason for the abortion was risk to maternal health.”

… My bad memory, it was 3%.

(Searching for data revealed that NOBODY wants to record and report that sort of data.)

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We need to ratchet back the rhetoric just a bit. There are literally tens of thousands of pregnancies (out of MILLIONS) that result in the baby growing outside of the womb (in the mother’s abdominal cavity) that without an abortion (spontaneous or man-made) would result in the death of both the baby and the mother … one of the things that HISTORICALLY made death during pregnancy far more common than today.

To eliminate ALL ABORTION is neither practical nor desirable. It just needs to be returned to its place as an “emergency medical procedure” rather than a form of “birth control”. The root problem is MORAL rather than LEGAL, so the “fix” is SPIRITUAL rather than JUDICIAL/LEGISLATIVE.

Abortions are performed by “Obstetricians” … the same Doctors that deliver healthy babies by C-Section and perform those ultra-sound exams that allow us to see our children for the first time. Let’s not “kill them all”. :(

Graet post! Everyone should read this carefully and prayerfully!

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We need to ratchet back the rhetoric just a bit. There are literally tens of thousands of pregnancies (out of MILLIONS) that result in the baby growing outside of the womb (in the mother’s abdominal cavity) that without an abortion (spontaneous or man-made) would result in the death of both the baby and the mother … one of the things that HISTORICALLY made death during pregnancy far more common than today.

To eliminate ALL ABORTION is neither practical nor desirable. It just needs to be returned to its place as an “emergency medical procedure” rather than a form of “birth control”. The root problem is MORAL rather than LEGAL, so the “fix” is SPIRITUAL rather than JUDICIAL/LEGISLATIVE.

Abortions are performed by “Obstetricians” … the same Doctors that deliver healthy babies by C-Section and perform those ultra-sound exams that allow us to see our children for the first time. Let’s not “kill them all”. :(
I've since deleted my post you quoted, it's not my place to get involved in worldly events, Jehovah is in charge, what must be must be.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I've since deleted my post you quoted, it's not my place to get involved in worldly events, Jehovah is in charge, what must be must be.
So true.....all prophesy is history written in advance.....what is going to take place as this world draws closer to its final judgment, is all foretold. Nothing humans do can change a single thing.

Reactions: JohnPaul

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God did kill David’s baby from Bath-Sheba because of David’s sins in that situation… (2 Samuel 12)

And King Jeroboam’s child as well (1 Kings 14).

Just saying.

I myself would not abort any of my children. But we don’t know everyone else’s situations. Only God knows.

Men shouldn’t meddle in the affairs of other people, even with this issue.

Let God be the judge.
This sounds a lot like the arguments i see from abortionists on YT. God killing someone's child isn't anything close to being the same as abortion. As the Creator and giver of life, God alone holds the prerogative of taking someone's life away. The 6th commandment in the Decalogue makes this clear where God says "do not murder". The prohibition is against people giving themselves the authority to end someone's life without God's approval or explicit instruction to do so. And since abortionists neither received God's approval nor His instruction to end someone else's life, what they are doing is committing murder.

You are extremely foolish when you say that men shouldn't meddle in the affairs of other people in the matter of abortion. All of the righteous Israelite rulers in the books of Kings and Chronicles shows God saying that these men did what was right in His sight by destroying the altar of the Baals and outlawing the accompanying practices within their borders, which especially included ritual infanticide.

Your statement is even more foolish within the context of the Law showing God saying that abominations like abortion pollutes the land, and that prolonged periods of practicing abominations like abortion makes the land "vomit" its inhabitants out(Lev. 18:21, 24-25, 27-28, 20:22). Sins like abortion is what got the Canaanites wiped out, and America is on pace to eventually suffer the same fate.

Anyone who even remotely cares about doing the right thing will at least speak out against abortion because a nation's sins affect everyone within its borders. Abortion is one of the worst things anybody can ever do to another human being, and it's straight out of the mind of the devil. You are plum loco if you think that the people who believe God's words aren't supposed to take a stand against such a monstrous sin.

Reactions: amigo de christo

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Desire Of All Nations

After reading all my posts you felt a strong rebuke was in order to me? Or did you not read all my posts in this thread?

Do you believe in sinless perfection?

If, no (which is likely), don’t be mad.

If they’re saved, killing their babies won’t affect their salvation anyways…

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This sounds a lot like the arguments i see from abortionists on YT. God killing someone's child isn't anything close to being the same as abortion. As the Creator and giver of life, God alone holds the prerogative of taking someone's life away. The 6th commandment in the Decalogue makes this clear where God says "do not murder". The prohibition is against people giving themselves the authority to end someone's life without God's approval or explicit instruction to do so. And since abortionists neither received God's approval nor His instruction to end someone else's life, what they are doing is committing murder.

You are extremely foolish when you say that men shouldn't meddle in the affairs of other people in the matter of abortion. All of the righteous Israelite rulers in the books of Kings and Chronicles shows God saying that these men did what was right in His sight by destroying the altar of the Baals and outlawing the accompanying practices within their borders, which especially included ritual infanticide.

Your statement is even more foolish within the context of the Law showing God saying that abominations like abortion pollutes the land, and that prolonged periods of practicing abominations like abortion makes the land "vomit" its inhabitants out(Lev. 18:21, 24-25, 27-28, 20:22). Sins like abortion is what got the Canaanites wiped out, and America is on pace to eventually suffer the same fate.

Anyone who even remotely cares about doing the right thing will at least speak out against abortion because a nation's sins affect everyone within its borders. Abortion is one of the worst things anybody can ever do to another human being, and it's straight out of the mind of the devil. You are plum loco if you think that the people who believe God's words aren't supposed to take a stand against such a monstrous sin.
A lot of words, but you have provided absolutely zero scripture forbidding abortion. You reference Leviticus 18 which devotes the entire chapter to very detailed laws regarding every possible sexual sin, but it makes absolutely no mention of abortion. All you can offer is that in YOUR opinion, abortion is probably like those sins. So since God does not consider abortion a sin, along you come adding things that God forgot to declare a sin.

Your opinion obviously originated from the false religion you embrace, and NOT from God or the Bible.

Reactions: Jim B

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Desire Of All Nations

After reading all my posts you felt a strong rebuke was in order to me? Or did you not read all my posts in this thread?

Do you believe in sinless perfection?

If, no (which is likely), don’t be mad.

If they’re saved, killing their babies won’t affect their salvation anyways…
All I see in Desire of the Nations, is that he has discarded God’s Word for teaching of his religion, obviously a false religion.

Reactions: Jim B

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

So you think that women should die needlessly when their lives could have been saved by aborting a fetus? Yes, the OT law says not to murder, so why don't you agree with that?

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So you think that women should die needlessly when their lives could have been saved by aborting a fetus? Yes, the OT law says not to murder, so why don't you agree with that?
I would guess that the most prevalent cause for abortion arises from teenage children messing around, resulting in unwanted pregnancy. Continuation of that pregnancy to term would destroy a number of lives: the mother and father and their families, but most of all the child.

A 14 year old girl is not in a position to raise a child, so they both suffer. The girl has pretty much blocked herself from higher education and being unable to support either herself or her child, which probably means that the child is unable to go to school, ending up in a continuous perptual chain of poverty for all. Higher education is almost impossible without parental support.

Whatever is being created in the womb as an earthly tent as the Bible says, if that tent is tossed out, the spirit is still with God. That spirit will remain with God until the appropriate time when an appropriate earthly tent becomes available. And God declares that the earthly tent becomes a living being, only after God breathes His spirit into the nostrils of the newborn child.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would guess that the most prevalent cause for abortion arises from teenage children messing around, resulting in unwanted pregnancy. Continuation of that pregnancy to term would destroy a number of lives: the mother and father and their families, but most of all the child.

A 14 year old girl is not in a position to raise a child, so they both suffer. The girl has pretty much blocked herself from higher education and being unable to support either herself or her child, which probably means that the child is unable to go to school, ending up in a continuous perptual chain of poverty for all. Higher education is almost impossible without parental support.

Whatever is being created in the womb as an earthly tent as the Bible says, if that tent is tossed out, the spirit is still with God. That spirit will remain with God until the appropriate time when an appropriate earthly tent becomes available. And God declares that the earthly tent becomes a living being, only after God breathes His spirit into the nostrils of the newborn child.

Well, that's just a guess.

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well, that's just a guess.

Yeah, a guess, but consistent with Scripture. Our body and our spirit are two separable entities.

Scripture states that when we die, "our body returns to the dust it came from,
and the spirit returns to God who gave it." Ecclesiastes 12:7

Reactions: Wrangler

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, a guess, but consistent with Scripture. Our body and our spirit are two separable entities.

Scripture states that when we die, "our body returns to the dust it came from,
and the spirit returns to God who gave it." Ecclesiastes 12:7

When I referred to your guess I was referring to this part of your post: "I would guess that the most prevalent cause for abortion arises from teenage children messing around, resulting in unwanted pregnancy."

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When I referred to your guess I was referring to this part of your post: "I would guess that the most prevalent cause for abortion arises from teenage children messing around, resulting in unwanted pregnancy."
I once lived in a world like that 65 years ago when I was dumped on the streets of Toronto to fend for myself. As a biker, I got to know some of the girls that hung out at the bike shop. Abortion was a way of life with them. They told me some of the methods they used. One that sticks in my mind was the hot mustard bath where they sweated the fetus out, probably not long before they were about to die themselves. There were other back-alley methods like coat hangers and flushing the fetus out with a solution of listerine, castile soap, olive oil and whatever else. It was a rather gruesome lifestyle in which I did not partake.

In those days, I read in the Bible where God said "I will be a Father to the fatherless". I claimed that promise, and He has taken care of me in an awesome manner ever since. One day I visited the bike shop with my girlfriend and her sister, Queen of the Prom. The biker girls never stopped starring at them the entire time we were there. They had never seen girls like this before. My life has been so awesome and fulfilling, that people who know me have encouraged me to write a book with my autobiography. For 80 years I and my family have enjoyed a most wonderful life! God has taken care of us in a most awesome manner.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I once lived in a world like that 65 years ago when I was dumped on the streets of Toronto to fend for myself. As a biker, I got to know some of the girls that hung out at the bike shop. Abortion was a way of life with them. They told me some of the methods they used. One that sticks in my mind was the hot mustard bath where they sweated the fetus out, probably not long before they were about to die themselves. There were other back-alley methods like coat hangers and flushing the fetus out with a solution of listerine, castile soap, olive oil and whatever else. It was a rather gruesome lifestyle in which I did not partake.

In those days, I read in the Bible where God said "I will be a Father to the fatherless". I claimed that promise, and He has taken care of me in an awesome manner ever since. One day I visited the bike shop with my girlfriend and her sister, Queen of the Prom. The biker girls never stopped starring at them the entire time we were there. They had never seen girls like this before. My life has been so awesome and fulfilling, that people who know me have encouraged me to write a book with my autobiography. For 80 years I and my family have enjoyed a most wonderful life! God has taken care of us in a most awesome manner.

What a great story! I became a Christian in 1977 and am now 78. Life has been a wonderful experience for me and my wife for 53 years and we are blessed with children and grandchildren.

Your tales of "back room" abortions shows the need for Roe v Wade, so that girls and women can safely get the care that they need.

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What a great story! I became a Christian in 1977 and am now 78. Life has been a wonderful experience for me and my wife for 53 years and we are blessed with children and grandchildren.

I have a couple years on you. I will be 80 next week, but I only got to enjoy 50 years together with her. She was His choice for me, and He had a reason for taking her early, and kept us amazingly informed during those last months we had together. On the night she was diagnosed we received this verse from an unexpected source:

For I know the plans I have for you
Declares the Lord
Plans to prosper you, not to harm you
Plans to give you hope and a future
Jer 29:11

Hours before she left, although she was completely symptom free, God told her that is was time to say good bye. She hugged me that morning with tears and trembling, and said

"God is going to take me away without you"

That was her last morning on earth. 12 hours later she had gone home.
We have a FOREVER commitment to one another.

With a wonderful close family with children and grandchildren, What pleases me the most is their sparkling connection and commitment to the Lord. I recently received a call from my 13 year old granddaughter to discuss Revelation. Wow! She had the book pretty much memorized. It reminded me of the passage "The sins of the father are passed on to the third and fourth generation." I have witnessed how the 'faith' of the father is likewise passed on to the third and fourth generation.

I accepted the Lord when I was 7, but a new and deeper commitment took place when I was 17, but as time went on I didn't see any change in my life . . . until I looked back a year later, and didn't even recognize the person I used to be.

In my faith, don't identify with any religion. I am totally Sola Scriptura

Reactions: Michiah-Imla

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a couple years on you. I will be 80 next week, but I only got to enjoy 50 years together with her. She was His choice for me, and He had a reason for taking her early, and kept us amazingly informed during those last months we had together. On the night she was diagnosed we received this verse from an unexpected source:

For I know the plans I have for you
Declares the Lord
Plans to prosper you, not to harm you
Plans to give you hope and a future
Jer 29:11

Hours before she left, although she was completely symptom free, God told her that is was time to say good bye. She hugged me that morning with tears and trembling, and said

"God is going to take me away without you"

That was her last morning on earth. 12 hours later she had gone home.
We have a FOREVER commitment to one another.

With a wonderful close family with children and grandchildren, What pleases me the most is their sparkling connection and commitment to the Lord. I recently received a call from my 13 year old granddaughter to discuss Revelation. Wow! She had the book pretty much memorized. It reminded me of the passage "The sins of the father are passed on to the third and fourth generation." I have witnessed how the 'faith' of the father is likewise passed on to the third and fourth generation.

I accepted the Lord when I was 7, but a new and deeper commitment took place when I was 17, but as time went on I didn't see any change in my life . . . until I looked back a year later, and didn't even recognize the person I used to be.

In my faith, don't identify with any religion. I am totally Sola Scriptura

Wonderful story! God has blessed you! I am also totally Sola Scriptura.

Reactions: Stan B