Romans 8

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
when he and his friend were calling us unsaved workers of satan,where was your Concern for us?

Hi Anthony,

I hadn't noticed that particular comment, and to tell the truth, in the sheer volume of content on this forum - i.e. a thread started this morning can have 50 replies by the time I see it a few hours later - there is so much to read, and that I want to respond to, that I don't see everything, and I have to choose what I do respond to.

It's always a moment by moment thing, and I'm hoping I'm doing what pleases the Holy Spirit, and that He is guiding me.

And sometimes it's probibly not the Holy Spirit guiding me, perhaps, I guess I don't always know for sure.

But sometimes I start calling attention to these kinds of comments for the purpose of showing how they actually detract from the discussion, in my opinion, and can actually work against us reaching understandings between us.

I've found that even with those whom I have the most serious disagreements, we can still reach meetings of the mind. But becoming too adversarial, to my thinking, again, works against that.

Unsaved workers of Satan? That's something God knows.

You and I can agree and disagree over any number of things, but if you are trusting in Jesus' death to purchase your life to be lived for God in His resurrection, then we're brothers, near as I can tell.

Much love!
Mark

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark, let me ask you....when he and his friend were calling us unsaved workers of satan,where was your Concern for us? I do not recall you saying that was not a proper response.
Did you not see those many posts, a long with his failed thread saying calvinism is a cult.

Yes, I remember now the thread title, Calvinism is a cult, I don't think I got involved on that one. Very long thread!

Even this one is 240+ posts. That takes time!

:(

Much love!
Mark

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Prov26:4-5...I am going to go with verse 5,hoping to avoid verse4.

4 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.
5 Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.

I understand this to mean,

Don't talk to the fool the same way he speaks to you, lest you be just like him. But don't let him go unanswered lest he think he's just fine!

Do we see it the same?

Much love!
Mark

SovereignGrace

Certified Flunky
Feb 15, 2019
Crum, WVa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would sooner say, I disagree, than to make the declaration, "Wrong again." But that's just me. I see a number of people on this forum that often make such declarations, so I get that's this forum's culture.

But I'm not going to get into an argument over the words, it's the same word used in John 6 of the Father drawing people.

In the first case, the Father draws some, and in the second case, the Son will draw all.

Much love!
Mark
Wrong again. You can not make draw, ἑλκύσω(helkuso) mean what you’re saying it means. It means to literally drag off. If He is drawing all w/o exception, then all w/o exception come, and if all w/o exception come, then all w/o exception are saved.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wrong again. You can not make draw, ἑλκύσω(helkuso) mean what you’re saying it means. It means to literally drag off. If He is drawing all w/o exception, then all w/o exception come, and if all w/o exception come, then all w/o exception are saved.

Hey, I'm just saying what word is used where. Draw from it what you will.

Fact is, even with your declaration that I am

Wrong again . . .

What I've said is that the same word is used. And that is not wrong.

But you can go on repeating that if you wish. It just gets boring.

Much love!
mark

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They certainly don't like God causing them to do anything. Biblically that's called rebellion.

So they cannot like Psalms 23:2; Philippians 2:13; Ezekiel 36:27. How dare God cause us to do anything, make us do anything, right? And how dare God do Ezekiel 36:26 to anyone? Or Hebrews 13:21, working in us things that are pleasing in his sight. Hmmm. How dare Him impose his will on our "free will..."

People really don't read their Bible. Instead they argue all day about what they think it says, and get offended at what God is really.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
They certainly don't like God causing them to do anything. Biblically that's called rebellion.

So they cannot like Psalm 23:2; Philippians 2:13; Ezekiel 36:27. How dare God cause us to do anything, make us do anything, right? And how dare God do Ezekiel 36:26 to anyone? Or Hebrews 13:21, working in us things that are pleasing in his sight. Hmmm. How dare Him impose his will on our "free will..."

People really don't read their Bible. Instead they argue all day about what they think it says, and get offended at what God is really.
Sadly true.

To paraphrase Tina Turner, it's as if ppl have already decided what is supposedly 'fair' from reasoning influenced by secularism, and then say: 'What's the Bible got to do with it, got to do with?'

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Anthony,

I'm thinking that God knew us in advance, as in, who we are, and also knew in advance what we will do. I'm thinking that to God this is all one thing, that is, He knows my life start to finish inside out.

That's how I think of it anyway.

Much love!
Mark
A quick look at psalms 22 will give some insight to how detailed His foreknowledge is.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
if you get a chance look at that thread and you will understand the unfortunate way things have developed.

If it's just the same, that's an incredibly long thread!

But I understand, from what you've said, I think.

It is unfortunate. Things can get carried away beyond what people intend. But I don't think we are to be adversarial against each other.

I think one of the greatest opportunities to show love for others is when we love those who mistreat us, and to love them in a way that they and others can see, and experience, and know is real.

And we have to lead by example.

Much love!
Mark

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A quick look at psalms 22 will give some insight to how detailed His foreknowledge is.

I remember well my first time reading through the Bible. When I came to that Psalm I had no idea what was about to happen!

The opening line, My God, why have you forsaken me? I was immediately on the edge of my chair. What was this?

By the time I was reading, But I am a worm, not a man . . . I had figured out what I was reading, and was in tears.

Yes. God's foreknowledge is complete.

Much love!
Mark

Reactions: Waiting on him

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sadly true.

To paraphrase Tina Turner, it's as if ppl have already decided what is supposedly 'fair' from reasoning influenced by secularism, and then say: 'What's the Bible got to do with it, got to do with?'
Right? God is the Potter, doing as He wills. Shall the judge of all the Earth do right? Yes. Is it right if he simply practices justice on any person whom he wills and judges them for their sin eternally? Yes. God is in no way obligated to extend mercy to anyone. Some then foolishly call him unfair, which really means unjust.

Tread lightly people, if God had not decreed to save, to change his elect through regeneration and conversion, none would ever be saved. The only reason any are is God, like Ephesians 2 says, after showing our deadness in sin, and inability, it says "But God, being rich in mercy..." Ephesians 2:4.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of the beautiful things that I love about Romans 8 is that it reveals God's affection and love for us as the family He wants for us to be.

I've been thinking about the book of life, and the new names in Revelation.

Being as God blots the name for the sinner from His book, that tells me all names of all the living are written therein. That new name which He will give us, that's the name I think is there.

A name that is unique to me, that no one knows except Him and me. I think it's a name that will suit me to a T. Maybe a name that encompasses all that I am.

A name that shows the amazing and unique person God made each of us to be.

A name shared by no one else.

The name God blots from His book when sin is imputed.

As God blots out the name of the sinner, and all that wonder and splendor that God created that person for, gone. The opportunity to love and be loved, gone. That unique and amazing person, never to be realized.

But in Romans 8, I see the dream fulfilled, as God stands us in grace and in resurrection, to live and love with Him.

We talk about God's obligation or lack thereof to show mercy to anyone, let's not lose sight of what God is doing.

God is love.

God loves us, and wants for us to love Him. Romans 8 shows such a beautiful picture of that love! Let's not be cold.

Much love!
mark

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I remember well my first time reading through the Bible. When I came to that Psalm I had no idea what was about to happen!

The opening line, My God, why have you forsaken me? I was immediately on the edge of my chair. What was this?

By the time I was reading, But I am a worm, not a man . . . I had figured out what I was reading, and was in tears.

Yes. God's foreknowledge is complete.

Much love!
Mark
God knowing everything is omniscience .
Foreknowledge is God setting His love on people.

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of the beautiful things that I love about Romans 8 is that it reveals God's affection and love for us as the family He wants for us to be.

I've been thinking about the book of life, and the new names in Revelation.

Being as God blots the name for the sinner from His book, that tells me all names of all the living are written therein. That new name which He will give us, that's the name I think is there.

A name that is unique to me, that no one knows except Him and me. I think it's a name that will suit me to a T. Maybe a name that encompasses all that I am.

A name that shows the amazing and unique person God made each of us to be.

A name shared by no one else.

The name God blots from His book when sin is imputed.

As God blots out the name of the sinner, and all that wonder and splendor that God created that person for, gone. The opportunity to love and be loved, gone. That unique and amazing person, never to be realized.

But in Romans 8, I see the dream fulfilled, as God stands us in grace and in resurrection, to live and love with Him.

We talk about God's obligation or lack thereof to show mercy to anyone, let's not lose sight of what God is doing.

God is love.

God loves us, and wants for us to love Him. Romans 8 shows such a beautiful picture of that love! Let's not be cold.

mark
Robert Schuller would be proud of this mess. ^^^

Totally unbiblical, and thoroughly humanistic.

Reactions: SovereignGrace

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God knowing everything is omniscience .
Foreknowledge is God setting His love on people.

I think foreknowledge is proginosko, a compound of pro - ahead of, and ginosko, I know. Which is used of basic knowledge and knowing something.

Here is another example:

2 Peter 3:15-18 LITV
(15) And think of the long-suffering of our Lord as salvation, as also our beloved brother Paul wrote to you, according to the wisdom given to him;
(16) as also in all his epistles, speaking in them concerning these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the unlearned and unsettled pervert, as also they do the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.
(17) Then beloved, you knowing beforehand, watch lest being led away by the error of the lawless you fall from your own steadfastness.
(18) But grow in grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.

What are your thoughts on this passage?

Much love! (I know . . .)
Mark

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Right? God is the Potter, doing as He wills. Shall the judge of all the Earth do right? Yes. Is it right if he simply practices justice on any person whom he wills and judges them for their sin eternally? Yes. God is in no way obligated to extend mercy to anyone. Some then foolishly call him unfair, which really means unjust.

Tread lightly people, if God had not decreed to save, to change his elect through regeneration and conversion, none would ever be saved. The only reason any are is God, like Ephesians 2 says, after showing our deadness in sin, and inability, it says "But God, being rich in mercy..." Ephesians 2:4.
Amen and Amen! :)

Reactions: SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace

Certified Flunky
Feb 15, 2019
Crum, WVa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey, I'm just saying what word is used where. Draw from it what you will.

Fact is, even with your declaration that I am

Wrong again . . .

What I've said is that the same word is used. And that is not wrong.

But you can go on repeating that if you wish. It just gets boring.

Much love!
mark

The point I am making is that draw in both John 6:44 and John 12:32 are both the same and have the exact same meaning. Those who are drawn, come. So, if the Christ is drawing literally everybody w/o exception, then everybody ends up being save, IOW universalism.