Sabatarianism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
How about cooking and feeding homeless people, or saving a life as a doctor or a fireman? These are not sins even if they are performed on the Sabbath. Cooking extravagant meals and indulging the desires of our belly is a sin any day of the week. Kindling a fire to physically warm oneself on a cold day is not a sin. Kindling the fire of greed, lust, anger or any such thing is a sin, yes. With secular employment sometimes people don't have a choice, so for them it is not a sin to work on a Sabbath. If you are self-employed and motivated by greed, you work on the day of the Lord, I would call that a sin.

In everything we should search the motive and the circumstances, otherwise we would be no different than the Jews who found fault with Christ for healing a man on the Sabbath.
I totally agree. Health and life take precedence over the law as Yeshua taught. However, my question concerned forbidden work. When we work on the 7th day for selfish reasons or even for good reasons that are not expedient, it is sin. It is a sin for me to mow my neighbors lawn on the 7th day if it can be done on some other day. It is wrong for me to kindle a fire after the 7th day has begun if it could have been kindled before the 7th day started. Yet, none of these things are sin if done on the other six work days of the week. Sunday and every other day except the 7th day are normal work days on which work that is forbidden on the 7th day is acceptable to do.

You mentioned the "day of the Lord". Which day did you mean? Sabbath or Sunday?

D

Dave L

First, the word "alike" is in italics in many versions because it is not in the Greek. There is nothing wrong with esteeming every day, after all, YHWH made them all. If we choose to worship Him seven days a week, so be it and halleluYah! However, that does not change the fact that as we worship Him every day we must also rest from labor on one day, the Sabbath. It is a mistake to read the Sabbath into this verse. Nowhere is the Sabbath mentioned. Nor can we read any of YHWH's annual sabbaths or feast days into this verse. There were many other "days" that the Jews highly esteemed besides the Sabbath and feasts. For example, most Jews at that time fasted twice a week (Luke 18:12 and Talmudic writings). The Jews also kept fast days throughout the year as mentioned in Zechariah 8:19. Then there was the Feast of Purim (Esther 9:28), and the Feast of Dedication or Hanukkah (John 10:22).

The Jewish converts would have probably continued esteeming these days whereas the Gentile converts would probably not, especially since they were not commanded by Yahweh to be kept. However, all men knew the Sabbath was commanded and so there was no question about its observance as seen in such verses as Acts 18:4 and Acts 13:42-44; 14:1.
We are not obligated to keep any Sabbath. The Sabbath keeping Jews either converted to the New Covenant or they ceased to exist according to the way things work in the bible.

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You mentioned the "day of the Lord". Which day did you mean? Sabbath or Sunday?
Either one or both I should say. The Lord rested after creating the world on the former and was raised renewing all creation on the latter. So I do my best to honor both. Sabbath, by resting from sinful works and Sunday, by raising my mind above worldly pursuits and doing that which is good and holy.

Reactions: bbyrd009

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
He said no such thing. He said the NC would replace the OC.
Jer 31:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith YHWH, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

33. ki zo’th hab’rith ‘asher ‘ek’roth ‘eth-beyth Yis’ra’El ‘acharey hayamim hahem n’um-Yahúwah nathati ‘eth-torathi b’qir’bam w’`al-libam ‘ek’tabenah w’hayithi lahem l’Elohim w’hemah yih’yu-li l’`am.
Yes, the NC replaces the OC, but the NC is Torah written on the heart and mind.

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
We are not obligated to keep any Sabbath. The Sabbath keeping Jews either converted to the New Covenant or they ceased to exist according to the way things work in the bible.
We are obligated to keep YHWH's commandments. By doing so we demonstrate our love for Him (1 John 5:3). In the same way we demonstrate our love for Yeshua by keeping his commandments as well (John 14:15).

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Either one or both I should say. The Lord rested after creating the world on the former and was raised renewing all creation on the latter. So I do my best to honor both. Sabbath, by resting from sinful works and Sunday, by raising my mind above worldly pursuits and doing that which is good and holy.
It is good that you rest on the 7th day, but you need not rest on the first day. Neither YHWH, nor Yeshua, nor any apostle commanded us to do so. Also, Yeshua did not rest after creating the world. His Father YHWH did.

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I wonder in the new covenant to the houses of Judah and Israel and the MK will there be a return to Sabbath keeping?
That implies a departure from it. Where in Scripture is that taught? As far as I know, the faithful remnant of unbelieving Judah and Israel have not departed from Sabbath keeping. Neither did those who believed and entered the NC.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That implies a departure from it. Where in Scripture is that taught? As far as I know, the faithful remnant of unbelieving Judah and Israel have not departed from Sabbath keeping. Neither did those who believed and entered the NC.
There is no seven they Sabbath in the New Testament.

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
There is no seven they Sabbath in the New Testament.
I assume you meant to write, "There is no seventh day Sabbath in the New Testament". If not, what does this mean?

There is a seventh day Sabbath in the NT for those who have eyes to see it. Yeshua and the Jews kept it throughout the Gospels and the Apostles continued to keep it after Yeshua's ascension. You choose to interpret Paul to say it no longer needs to be kept. The Sabbath will continue to be kept by all flesh throughout the MK (Isaiah 66:23).

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are under the blood covenant price today.

In that covenant can anyone show me where we're commanded to keep the seventh day Sabbath?

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
We are under the blood covenant price today.

In that covenant can anyone show me where we're commanded to keep the seventh day Sabbath?
Wrong question. Can anyone show where YHWH's people were commanded to stop keeping the seventh day Sabbath?

sonofzion

May 17, 2019
Menifee
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Keeping the Sabbath is commanded in the New Testament

Hebrews 4:9

There remaineth therefore a Sabbatismos to the people of Elohim

Strongs: Sabbatismos - A keeping Sabbath

Thayers: Sabbatismos - A keeping Sabbath

Vines: Sabbatismos: A Sabbath keeping

Sabbatismos is Also found several times in the LXX, and it always refers to the act of keeping the Sabbath

There remains therefore A Keeping Sabbath to the people of Elohim Hebrews 4:9

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We are to have a day set aside for the Lord.

After the Rapture it will return to Sabbath keeping.

Please do not spread this discussion over multiple threads. Keep it here so all can share.
Covenants
Why? You clearly recognize there's a reason why we don't need to keep the Sabbath now...not after Christ has come. Where in scripture tells us that once he comes again we must return to the types and shadows of the 'old covenenat'? The one he had to come and save us from?

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Why? You clearly recognize there's a reason why we don't need to keep the Sabbath now...not after Christ has come. Where in scripture tells us that once he comes again we must return to the types and shadows of the 'old covenenat'?
We don't return to types and shadows. We continue keeping those that have not been fulfilled by Messiah. He gives us a spiritual rest from sin and from seeking to be justified by works. He does NOT give us a physical rest for our bodies. If he did, we would not need to sleep anymore. Nor would the believers in Revelation 14:13 need to rest from their labors.

The one he had to come and save us from?
Does this mean he saves us from the Sabbath, the old covenant or both?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Keeping the Sabbath is commanded in the New Testament

Hebrews 4:9

There remaineth therefore a Sabbatismos to the people of Elohim

Strongs: Sabbatismos - A keeping Sabbath

Thayers: Sabbatismos - A keeping Sabbath

Vines: Sabbatismos: A Sabbath keeping

Sabbatismos is Also found several times in the LXX, and it always refers to the act of keeping the Sabbath

There remains therefore A Keeping Sabbath to the people of Elohim Hebrews 4:9
Hebrews 7.12 says the law was changed.

Hebrews 7.19 says what we now have is better than the law.

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Hebrews 7.12 says the law was changed.

Hebrews 7.19 says what we now have is better than the law.
The only law that was changed is the law concerning which tribe the high priest was to come from. That law was changed via the oath in Psalms 110:4 which was made before Yeshua was even born.