Sabbath-Keeping

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
Self explanatory if you really pay attention..the beast in Daniel 7 and Revelation 17 are the same..the scarlet and purple colours should give you a clue...now concentrate, and pray for understanding...this same beast which Daniel prophesied is in Revelation 17, and it did change God's times and laws in 323 AD..by papal decree, NOT by God's will...

Remember salvation is through the Son of God, His grace and commandments and not the sungod/satan and his days of sunday, dec 25th and easter all of which are non Biblical and of pagan origin.

UppsalaDragby

Feb 6, 2012
heretoeternity said:
He wrote the fourth commandment Himself in stone, as a sign of permanency...
No he did not!

You see, this is what I am talking about. Adding human arguments to scripture - things that scripture does not say, and nullifying what it does say.

This is what scripture says about the "permanency" of the 10 commandments:

"Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory, so that the Israelites could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, fading though it was, will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious? If the ministry that condemns men is glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry that brings righteousness! For what was glorious has no glory now in comparison with the surpassing glory. And if what was fading away came with glory, how much greater is the glory of that which lasts!" (2 Cor 3:7-11)

And neither James nor John say anything about the 10 commandments still being in effect. What John specifically says is this:

"And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us."

So why do SDAs twist the apostles words so that every mention of the word "commandments" is supposed to refer to the 10 commandments?

Stick to what scripture says and don't go beyond what is written.

And the same applies to James. He never once even hinted that we are under the 10 commandments. Look at the context of his letter. He speaks about the law of Christ - the royal law - to love one's neighbor as oneself. He speaks about how we should take care of orphans and widows, refrain from favoritism, give to those among us that are poor, not only with words, but with deeds. Despite that SDAs just single out verses 10 and 11 - verses that say nothing about being under the 10 commandments. All it shows us that in the same way that one transgression of the Mosaic law makes us lawbreakers, one transgression of the law of Christ does the same thing.

Don't read SDA theology into the Bible!

Reactions: Born_Again

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
heretoeternity said:
Self explanatory if you really pay attention..the beast in Daniel 7 and Revelation 17 are the same..the scarlet and purple colours should give you a clue...now concentrate, and pray for understanding...this same beast which Daniel prophesied is in Revelation 17, and it did change God's times and laws in 323 AD..by papal decree, NOT by God's will...

Remember salvation is through the Son of God, His grace and commandments and not the sungod/satan and his days of sunday, dec 25th and easter all of which are non Biblical and of pagan origin.
Revelations 17:14 These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.

When the Lamb overcomes Satan & his armies, the raptured saints will be with Jesus when He comes back at the end of the great tribulation.

I still read the changing of the times & laws as happening after the pre trib rapture. Will not all laws be chnaged upon the earth to be only be able to buy & sell unless they have the mark of the beast? Are not the times chnaged with it as the world they had known before the pre trib rapture will cease to be?

Now consider this. Where is the war against sabbath keepers where they are being killed off by the beast church that changed the worship of God to Sunday? So it is not applicable.

If you claim to be in the truth; a disciple of Jesus Christ; then you cannot be known as a disciple of a church and her teachings. You have to prove everything by the scripture BUT the commandment to keep the sabbath day is not stressed as much as you are making it out to be in the NT and yet you claim the prophesy was a vague warning about how the worship of God will chnage from Saturday to Sunday. If that was true, there would be more warnings about how in teh end times believers will separt from keeping the sabbath day commandment rather than just a warning about departing from the faith in Jesus Christ that it is His righteousness that is bringing you Home & not your righteousness that you are seeking to claim by the keeping of the sabbath day.

Romans 10:1Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved. 2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge. 3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God. 4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth. 5 For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them.

Romans 3:19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. 20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin. 21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; 22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: 23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; 24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: 25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; 26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus. 27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith. 28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

I ask you to reconsider your church's teachings as these scripture reproves them plainly. You cannot ignore them if you wish to abide in Him & His words of the New Covenant.

zeke25

May 18, 2014
Western USA
Romans 3:19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. 20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin. 21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; 22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: 23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; 24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: 25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; 26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus. 27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith. 28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

Much of what you say has truth, but when it comes to the changing of the times in Daniel 7:25 you have much to learn about prophesy. 25 And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time.

Where does it say that "think to change times" must chronologically correspond with the rest of the verse? It does not. Some times the Holy Ghost puts phrases in a verse that cover hundreds or even thousands of years.

Do you know the Biblical definition of "evening"? When that was changed, the times were changed.

Do you know when much of Christendom and Judaism began observing a sundown day start? When that was implemented, even thought the Bible clearly and repeatedly teaches a sunrise day start, the times were changed.

The times were changed centuries ago and you missed it. Don't feel bad, you have lots of company.

An excerpt from post 81 in this thread, Part II, para 4b:

After all, Pope Gregory was part of the antichrist system and it was prophesied that this antichrist would think to change the times. Daniel 7:25 KJV, "And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time." The changing of times has occurred from the Scriptural Calendar, with its Lunar and Sun times pieces, to a Sun only based calendar.

You guys keep trivializing the heretical doctrine of sabbath keeping. If you care to stretch yourself and learn something a notch above the canned teachings in this area - try studying post 81 in this thread. It explains and destroys any pretense that Hebrew Roots, or the SDA, or the Jews hold regarding weekly sabbath keeping. God is no longer using this teaching method. It has been nailed to the tree.

Zeke25

Reactions: Born_Again

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Zeke25,

You are assuming that the whole world followed the Jewish definition of a day when it starts at evening.

Granted, there is an antichrist system where many "christs" are being presented, but it has nothing to do with the prophesy in Daniel.

Daniel 7: Daniel 7:25 KJV, "And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time."

This "blowhard" may think he is changing times and laws, but this was in wearing out the saints as they would be given into his hands until what? Sounds like the duration of the great tribulation to me when he did try to change times and laws.

How does he do it? Speculations abound;

Since a cataclysm of the third of the earth being burned up with USA as Babylon within it, there will be an economic collapse like no other when implementing the mark of the beast system to buy & sell. That would certainly changed the laws and the times, but if you do not think the way of the world is in relations to the times, then imagine a New World Order being put into place in history where B.C. and A.D. is now marked by a different set of initials, one trying to convince the world that the milleniel reign had come.

But again, pure speculation, but I point out to you that your application to being something done in history in the past hardly addresses the length of time when this blowhard thought to have changed times and laws; even I am having trouble ascertaining the "they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time." as applying to the great tribulation.

That time frame doesn't really associate with your application for the duration of when this blowhard had thought to chnage the times and laws that was wearing out the saints that are in his hands as every one would be in the hour of trial that shall try all on the earth; take the mark of the beast to buy & sell or die.

Unless, the second one of "times" is counted as two because of it being plural and thus 3 & half years for it to fit my application as being of the great tribulation because surely when he declares himself to be "god", the Jews are going to be in trouble then as they will flee for survival.

You are right that we all have a lot to learn, as we prophesy in part and know in part, but I hope you can see why I do not see your application as being spot on yet with it being something that was done in the past.

But I am glad that you know that the keeping of the sabbath day was nailed to the cross as He is able to make us stand by His righteousness alone. :)

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
God, wrote the ten commandments of stone by His own hand Exodus 20, with the fourth Commandment being "remember the Sabbath day to keep it Holy...sounds like Upsi you better do a reading of this verse again, for forget the false teachings you have obviously endured...it is part of the Ten Commandments, and uses the word remember to harken His followers back to Genesis 2 when He created the seventh day Sabbath, blessed it, and sanctified it (set it aside for Holy purposes)..that should be good enough for anyone who calls themselves a Christian.
Paul said in Romans..do we make void the law through faith? God forbid, we establish the law!! Pretty plain don't you think...but I guess it isn't plain to non believers....Apostle John said in 1st John sin is transgression of the law..(God's law)...so to transgress the law of God is SIN...back to Paul again in Romans..do we sin more so grace abounds? God forbid...again very plain...
Apostle John also in 1st John by this we know we are children of God, that we keep His commandments and they are not grievous...even though the vast majority of professing christianity obviously think His commandments are grievious...God does not think they are...
Remember always, Savlation is through the Son of God, His grace and commandments, and not the sungod/satan and his days of sunday, dec 25th and easter all of which are non Biblical and of pagan origin...

UppsalaDragby

Feb 6, 2012
heretoeternity,

Please pay careful attention and watch as I knock down each and every one of your arguments, all without adding a single word to scripture, without breaking scripture, and without failing to harmonize with the the entire counsel of scripture.

Do you think you can do the same? I know that you can't.

What you need to ask yourself is why you can't.

heretoeternity said:
God, wrote the ten commandments of stone by His own hand Exodus 20, with the fourth Commandment being "remember the Sabbath day to keep it Holy...sounds like Upsi you better do a reading of this verse again, for forget the false teachings you have obviously endured...it is part of the Ten Commandments, and uses the word remember to harken His followers back to Genesis 2 when He created the seventh day Sabbath, blessed it, and sanctified it (set it aside for Holy purposes)..that should be good enough for anyone who calls themselves a Christian.
I don't think you are putting much though into this. To start with, why not tell me who it was that was being told to "remember the Sabbath".

In the meantime, I'm still waiting for you to prove that Christians are still under the old covenant, without breaking the rules I mentioned.

Can you do that, or can you not?

Paul said in Romans..do we make void the law through faith?
And neither do I.

The fact that a Christian is no longer under the Mosaic law does not make it void, does it?

Read Romans 7:1-6 carefully and think about what Paul is saying. You will easily see what Paul means by not being under the law, and yet not nullifying it in the least.

It gives an illustration of how a woman is freed from the law of adultery through the death of her husband. The reason she had been set free was not because the law itself was bad, nor that it was abolished, but rather it was through death that she was set free from it.

Did the law of adultery still exist after she was set free from it? Yes it did!

And then he goes on to say that we too have been set free through death:

"But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code." (verse 6)

Obviously you can "establish" the law (acknowledge that it is good, holy and perfect) without being under it.

Apostle John said in 1st John sin is transgression of the law..(God's law)...so to transgress the law of God is SIN...
What law?

God's law for Christians is the law of Christ, not the 10 commandments. ALL of the NT authors mentions the law of Christ in one form or the other. Where do any of them say that we are under the 10 commandments? None of them do!

Again, if you want to prove your point then show me by sticking to the rules I mentioned.

If you think the rules are too strict, or are incorrect, then let me know what your objection is. Why haven't you addressed this?

back to Paul again in Romans..do we sin more so grace abounds? God forbid...again very plain...
Oh! Did I say that we should sin?? I suggest you think before you accuse.

And let me ask you this. What, according to scripture, is the antidote for sin?

If your answer it the 10 commandments, then I promise you, you are in for a big surprise!

Apostle John also in 1st John by this we know we are children of God, that we keep His commandments and they are not grievous...even though the vast majority of professing christianity obviously think His commandments are grievious...God does not think they are...
And what "commandments" was John talking about?

The 10 commandments?

Please, be my guest and explain to me why any apostle of the New Covenant would be referring to commandments in the Old Covenant as though we were still under that covenant. We are not!

In the meantime, read what John himself had to say:

"And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us." (1 John 3:23)

"Remember always, Savlation is through the Son of God, His grace and commandments
You are adding to scripture.

We are under strict orders not to do that, just as we are under orders not to be deceived. And how was mankind originally deceived?

By adding to scripture!

Adam was not the one deceived. It was the woman. And notice how she took the only commandment that was available back then and then added something to it. That, I think, provides a good clue to understanding how mankind has been getting into trouble all throughout history. From the fall of man, to the yeast of the Pharasees, and right on to our present time where we have enormous divisions in Christianity, the problem is still the same.

Never add to God's word. Never!!!

and not the sungod/satan and his days of sunday, dec 25th and easter all of which are non Biblical and of pagan origin...
That (false) argument has already been dealt with in this thread.

Why are you repeating yourself?

And why do SDAs always seem to ignore everything that contradicts their teaching, and just go back and repeat the same standard arguments no matter what?

zeke25

May 18, 2014
Western USA
JesusIsFaithful said:
Hi Zeke25,

You are assuming that the whole world followed the Jewish definition of a day when it starts at evening.

Granted, there is an antichrist system where many "christs" are being presented, but it has nothing to do with the prophesy in Daniel.

Daniel 7: Daniel 7:25 KJV, "And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time."

This "blowhard" may think he is changing times and laws, but this was in wearing out the saints as they would be given into his hands until what? Sounds like the duration of the great tribulation to me when he did try to change times and laws.

How does he do it? Speculations abound;

Since a cataclysm of the third of the earth being burned up with USA as Babylon within it, there will be an economic collapse like no other when implementing the mark of the beast system to buy & sell. That would certainly changed the laws and the times, but if you do not think the way of the world is in relations to the times, then imagine a New World Order being put into place in history where B.C. and A.D. is now marked by a different set of initials, one trying to convince the world that the milleniel reign had come.

But again, pure speculation, but I point out to you that your application to being something done in history in the past hardly addresses the length of time when this blowhard thought to have changed times and laws; even I am having trouble ascertaining the "they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time." as applying to the great tribulation.

That time frame doesn't really associate with your application for the duration of when this blowhard had thought to chnage the times and laws that was wearing out the saints that are in his hands as every one would be in the hour of trial that shall try all on the earth; take the mark of the beast to buy & sell or die.

Unless, the second one of "times" is counted as two because of it being plural and thus 3 & half years for it to fit my application as being of the great tribulation because surely when he declares himself to be "god", the Jews are going to be in trouble then as they will flee for survival.

You are right that we all have a lot to learn, as we prophesy in part and know in part, but I hope you can see why I do not see your application as being spot on yet with it being something that was done in the past.

But I am glad that you know that the keeping of the sabbath day was nailed to the cross as He is able to make us stand by His righteousness alone. :)
JIF,

I noticed that you made no comment regarding my statement: Do you know the Biblical definition of "evening"? When that was changed, the times were changed. The biblical definition of "evening" may have been changed as recently as the 15th century. This is a changing of the times that has spawned all kinds of heresies, NWO translations, and blasphemies against God. Any comments?

Let me help. Let's take, for an example, Exodus 16:12 NIV, 12 “I have heard the grumbling of the Israelites. Tell them, ‘At twilight you will eat meat, and in the morning you will be filled with bread. Then you will know that I am the Lord your God.’” Evening here has been interpreted (not translated) as twilight. This is heresy.

Z

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
Ud...you knock down nothing..you cannot defeat the word of God as it is written..it is very plain..you can try nad figure out ways around keeping God's Holy word, but that is strictly from satan and the false counterfeit christianity teachings you have obviously endured...word of advice..quit rebelling against God's word, which is so very plain, even you should understand it...

And remember always salvation is through the Son of God, His grace and commandments and NOT the sungod/satan and his days of sunday,dec 25th and easter, all of which are NON Biblical and of pagan/satanic origin.

zeke25

May 18, 2014
Western USA
heretoeternity said:
Ud...you knock down nothing..you cannot defeat the word of God as it is written..it is very plain..you can try nad figure out ways around keeping God's Holy word, but that is strictly from satan and the false counterfeit christianity teachings you have obviously endured...word of advice..quit rebelling against God's word, which is so very plain, even you should understand it...

And remember always salvation is through the Son of God, His grace and commandments and NOT the sungod/satan and his days of sunday,dec 25th and easter, all of which are NON Biblical and of pagan/satanic origin.
HereToEternity,

The sabbath was only given to the Hebrews, and to no one else. That began in Exodus 16:23, then was formalized in Exodus 20. There was no sabbath ever, prior to Exodus 16. Then when Yahoshua said, "It is finished", so was the sabbath. It was never again used as a teaching tool for the Hebrews or for anyone else. The Scriptures are quite clear about this.

Zeke25

UppsalaDragby

Feb 6, 2012
heretoeternity said:

What word of God do you think I have knocked down?

What are the "words of God" that Christians are supposed to keep?

If they are the 10 commandements, which were part of the old covenant, rather than the law of Christ, then what do you base that assertion on?

And why do you continuously ignore my challenge to you?

Why do you refuse to answer my questions?

And why do you ignore the arguments you give that have been refuted - with the Word of God?

Why?

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
heretoeternity said:
Remember always, Savlation is through the Son of God, His grace and commandments, and not the sungod/satan and his days of sunday, dec 25th and easter all of which are non Biblical and of pagan origin...
God exposes the works of darkness by the scripture and so you naming Sunday as belonging to Satan & pagans is non-Biblical too.

To think that all pagans have to do to wipe out observing the sabbath day or even christian day of worship on Sundays is to make every Saturday & Sunday a pagan holiday. Even pagan knows they would fail to stop believers worshipping & honouring God on those days or any day of the week.

Show in any letter to the church in the N.T. any emphasis in keeping the sabbath day, let alone reminding them to do it.

Show how if such a practise was in place, that believers are forbidden to buy & sell on the sabbath day that would force other people to work on the sabbath day.

Brother, you are free to worship & honour the Lord on the sabbath day or any day, BUT you are not free to judge others for not observing nor honouring the Lord on that day, because you will be judged by how well you have kept the sabbath day, and I bet you will be found wanting. This is why no one will be justified for keeping the sabbath day and why Jesus is Lord of the sabbath for He is able to make the believers stand by His righteousness alone and not including any righteousness of the law.

God's chosen people, the creme of the crop, had their turn in representing man's best ability to obtain righteousness and to save themselves by the deeds of the law under the Old Covenant and they have failed.

The New Covenant is His turn now and His glory in how we receive righteousness & salvation by and all that is required from you is to believe Him.

Micah 6:8 He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

Hebrews 8:8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:

9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord. 10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people: 11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more. 13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.
Paul testified what the Lord said about how well the Jews were keeping the Old Covenant; they did not. Not even His disciples.

Galatians 2:14 But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews? 15 We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles, 16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. 17 But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid. 18 For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. 19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. 20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. 21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Please read all that, brother.

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
JIF..if one follows your perverted view of scripture, you should prepare for the words "depart from me, I never knew you, you who practice lawlessness"...Jesus said in Matthew 7....and

Remember always Salvation is through the Son of God, His grace and commandments, and not the sungod/satan and his days of sunday,dec 25th and easter all of which are non Biblical and of pagan/satanic origin.

zeke25

May 18, 2014
Western USA
heretoeternity said:
Paul said in Romans..do we make void the law through faith? God forbid, we establish the law!! Pretty plain don't you think...but I guess it isn't plain to non believers....Apostle John said in 1st John sin is transgression of the law..(God's law)...so to transgress the law of God is SIN...back to Paul again in Romans..do we sin more so grace abounds? God forbid...again very plain...
HTE,

When God, in Ex. 20, said to remember the sabbath, He was referring back to Ex. 16:23, which was the first time the sabbath was mentioned in Scripture - 2 ½ thousands years after Creation Week.

For a more complete understanding of this issue, please refer to post #81 in this thread, Part II, Para 2-5.

Zeke25

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 4:9 KJV says that Sabbathkeeping remains for the people of God, so whether you keep it on Saturday or Sunday, to deny that the commandment exists at all is to deny Scripture.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Phoneman777 said:
Hebrews 4:9 KJV says that Sabbathkeeping remains for the people of God, so whether you keep it on Saturday or Sunday, to deny that the commandment exists at all is to deny Scripture.
This is not what that particular says...you have completely removed it from its context and decided your own meaning apart from what the text is actually conveying.

JimParker

Mar 31, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
There is no reason why a Christian could not keep the Sabbath. The Sabbath is "kept" by doing no work on that day.

Since the beginning of Christianity, the church has celebrated the resurrection of Jesus Christ on the first day of the week (Sunday) because it is by His resurrection that Jesus destroyed the power of death. He stormed the Gates of hell and set the captives free, trampling down death by death and upon those in the grave bestowing life.

1Co 15:50-57
Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does corruption inherit incorruption. Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed—in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, and this mortal has put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written: “Death is swallowed up in victory.”

“O Death, where is your sting?
O Hades, where is your victory?”

The sting of death is sin, and the strength of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

So Christians celebrate that victory on Sunday, the day it was completed by His resurrection.

But, you can still keep the Sabbath by doing no work but you might just catch some flack from the missus who's goat a "honey-do" list. :)

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
justaname said:
This is not what that particular says...you have completely removed it from its context and decided your own meaning apart from what the text is actually conveying.
The Pishitta version says exactly what I said. The word "rest" is "Kataposis" throughout chapter 4 EXCEPT in verse 9, where it is "Sabbatismos", which refers not to plain old rest, but to Sabbathkeeping, which is why the Pishitta translates it so. I haven't removed anything, it it you who have removed this fact in order to ignore the implication.
Christians who think the Old Covenant was LAW and the New Covenant is GRACE should consider Scripture, rather than the contradictions of preachers who claim the law is no more, but then refuse to preach that we may have Satan, Baal, Allah, or any other god before Jesus (for you antinomianists, that's the First Commandment).

God Himself specifically defines what He will do to those who partake of His New Covenant:
"I will write My laws in their minds and on their hearts." Jeremiah 31:31 KJV

Paul says the laws that God writes on the hearts of New Covenant Christians are the Ten Commandments which were formerly written in stone:
"..written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God. Not on tables of stone, but on the fleshly tables of the heart." 2 Corinthians 3:1-3 KJV

It is the Law of Moses that was nailed to the cross, but the Law of God "stands fast forever and ever". (Psalms 111:7-8 KJV)

Raeneske

Sep 18, 2012
Phoneman777 said:
The Pishitta version says exactly what I said. The word "rest" is "Kataposis" throughout chapter 4 EXCEPT in verse 9, where it is "Sabbatismos", which refers not to plain old rest, but to Sabbathkeeping, which is why the Pishitta translates it so. I haven't removed anything, it it you who have removed this fact in order to ignore the implication.

Christians who think the Old Covenant was LAW and the New Covenant is GRACE should consider Scripture, rather than the contradictions of preachers who claim the law is no more, but then refuse to preach that we may have Satan, Baal, Allah, or any other god before Jesus (for you antinomianists, that's the First Commandment).

God Himself specifically defines what He will do to those who partake of His New Covenant:
"I will write My laws in their minds and on their hearts." Jeremiah 31:31 KJV

Paul says the laws that God writes on the hearts of New Covenant Christians are the Ten Commandments which were formerly written in stone:
"..written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God. Not on tables of stone, but on the fleshly tables of the heart." 2 Corinthians 3:1-3 KJV

It is the Law of Moses that was nailed to the cross, but the Law of God "stands fast forever and ever". (Psalms 111:7-8 KJV)
And....

Hebrews 4:4-5 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works. 5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.

God plainly says His rest is the seventh day. Speaking of the seventh day, God says that He rested upon it from all His works. And speaking of the seventh day again, He says "If they shall enter into my rest." That is, as the Psalm says, they shall not enter into my rest, they shall not enter into my (God's) Sabbath rest found upon the seventh day. They shall miss out during eternity of worshipping God from Sabbath to Sabbath. They shall not enjoy resting with Him, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, His holy angels, and all the rest of His creation together, singing holy songs, in His presence, in which there is the fullness of joy.

Psalms 16:11 Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

Isaiah 66:22-23 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain. 23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.

If they don't want to keep the Sabbath now, and taste of the heavenly gift now, fine. They have that choice. But neither shall they rest with God and His creation during Sabbath, throughout eternity. They have made their choice. The Sabbath which remains to be kept, even now, they have chosen to reject. Reject it now, reject it later.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Therefore, while the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us fear lest any of you should seem to have failed to reach it.
2 For good news came to us just as to them, but the message they heard did not benefit them, because they were not united by faith with those who listened.
3 For we who have believed enter that rest, as he has said, "As I swore in my wrath, 'They shall not enter my rest,'" although his works were finished from the foundation of the world.
4 For he has somewhere spoken of the seventh day in this way: "And God rested on the seventh day from all his works."
5 And again in this passage he said, "They shall not enter my rest."
6 Since therefore it remains for some to enter it, and those who formerly received the good news failed to enter because of disobedience,
7 again he appoints a certain day, "Today," saying through David so long afterward, in the words already quoted, "Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts."
8 For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken of another day later on.
9 So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God,
10 for whoever has entered God's rest has also rested from his works as God did from his.
11 Let us therefore strive to enter that rest, so that no one may fall by the same sort of disobedience.
12 For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.
13 And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account.
Hebrews 4:1-13

Here now is the complete context of the verse...
How are we to strive to enter the rest if it is simply observing the Shabbat?

Here is the key verse in interpreting this particular periscope.

for whoever has entered God's rest has also rested from his works as God did from his. Hebrews 4:10

The rest spoken of here is eternal, not weekly observance. The rest here is a promise not a command.

Status
Not open for further replies.