Satan is the ruler of this world?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Luke 4:5–7:

“And the devil took him up and showed him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time, and said to him, ‘To you I will give all this authority and their glory, for it has been delivered to me, and I give it to whom I will. If you, then, will worship me, it will all be yours.’”
Satan claimed to have the authority of all the kingdoms of the world. Jesus didn't directly contract this proposition. In fact, Jesus acknowledged this claim in John 12:

31 Now is the judgment of this world; now will the ruler of this world be cast out. 32 And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.”
Jesus referred to Satan as the ruler of this world. I interpret it as Jesus casting Satan's rulership out of the believers but not out of the world altogether. By the Cross, Jesus would cast Satan's authority out of the believers. Later, before he went to the cross, Jesus again mentioned the title in John 14:

30 I will no longer talk much with you, for the ruler of this world is coming.
After the cross, 1 John 5 affirmed this claim:

19 The whole world lies in the power of the evil one.
2 Corinthians 4:

4 In their case the god of this world
i.e., Satan

has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.
Is Satan the ruler of this world?

I think so. But he does not rule us, believers. His influence is particularly strong on the unbelievers, 2 Timothy 2:

26 they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will.
Satan holds the power of death, Hebrews 2:

14 Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might break the power of him who holds the power of death—that is, the devil
For the believers, Matthew 28:

18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.
Jesus is greater than Satan. Satan's power was permitted for trials and testing of the believers. This is consistent with the development of satan from the beginning. God is using Satan to test everyone. This is why Satan is still around until the end, Revelation 20:

10 And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
Here is the good news, 1 John 5:

4a for everyone born of God overcomes the world.

3 Resurrections

Jan 20, 2024
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 4:5–7:

Satan claimed to have the authority of all the kingdoms of the world. Jesus didn't directly contract this proposition. In fact, Jesus acknowledged this claim in John 12:

Jesus referred to Satan as the ruler of this world. I interpret it as Jesus casting Satan's rulership out of the believers but not out of the world altogether. By the Cross, Jesus would cast Satan's authority out of the believers. Later, before he went to the cross, Jesus again mentioned the title in John 14:
You're right that Christ did not deny Satan's statement in Luke 4:5-7. Ever since Adam and Eve obeyed Satan's temptation, they both abdicated their dominion over the planet and became the servants of sin. "His servants ye are to whom ye yield yourselves to obey." This put Satan in the driver's seat as "the prince of this world".

As you have pointed out in John 12:31 and John 14:30, Christ warned the disciples just before His crucifixion that Satan the "prince of this world" would be "cast out". Revelation 12 said that Satan was cast out of heaven unto the earth, to harass its inhabitants for a "short time" after Christ had ascended. It was the shed blood of the Lamb which overcame Satan at that point - the blood sacrifice which the newly-ascended Christ sprinkled on heaven's mercy seat on our behalf. After that, Satan had no legal grounds to accuse the brethren anymore, and so was cast out of heaven's court unto the earth. This angered him, and he ramped up his efforts to deceive the nations once more, knowing he only had a "short time" left to operate in the world.
Jesus is greater than Satan. Satan's power was permitted for trials and testing of the believers. This is consistent with the development of satan from the beginning. God is using Satan to test everyone. This is why Satan is still around until the end, Revelation 20:
As you say, Satan was permitted to operate in this world, but no further than God allowed. Satan was around until the end in Revelation 20, but is no longer in existence to harass either believers or unbelievers. God brought a fire out of him and burned him to ashes upon the earth before kings, so that "never shalt thou exist anymore" (according to Ezekiel 28:18-19's prophecy.) Satan's "short time" which John said had already begun on earth in Revelation 12:12 is long over by now.

3 Resurrections

Jan 20, 2024
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for sharing your insights.

Where is Satan now?
He is dead as a doornail, since he was burned to ashes on the earth by the close of the AD 70 battle in Jerusalem. As Ezekiel and Isaiah 27:1 both prophesied, Satan no longer exists since God slew him.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
He is dead as a doornail, since he was burned to ashes on the earth by the close of the AD 70 battle in Jerusalem. As Ezekiel and Isaiah 27:1 both prophesied, Satan no longer exists since God slew him.
Let proposition P1 = Satan is dead.
P2 = Satan is still active.

Between 0 and 10, how much weight do you put on each of the above propositions? The stronger your belief in a proposition, the higher the weight.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God is using Satan to test everyone. This is why Satan is still around until the end,
Absolutely. GOD is sovereign. Satan can't do anything without His permission as we've seen concerning Job.
Satan rules the world (the DARKNESS of fallen mankind)- which we are not supposed to conform to. So he doesn't rule us. There is adeeper meaning to rule. It means the world is under the Law and will suffer and be judged by the Law. The wagesof sin is death. We are not under the rule of LAW, we are under GRACE, His LIGHT.
After Jesus died, rose and ascended, He was given all authority in heaven and on earth.

3 Resurrections

Jan 20, 2024
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you willing to wager based on your weighting scheme/odds?
Why would I need to wager on the fact that Christ once said "out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, sexual immorality, thefts, false witness, blasphemies. These are the things that defile a man..." The heart of mankind all by itself is perfectly capable of manifesting every sort of wickedness, without the assistance or the presence of Satan in this world. Anyone betting opposite to that fact is a fool.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

3 Resurrections

Jan 20, 2024
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good question.

This is not a lotto/gambling bet. This is a wager to mathematically and scientifically measure the strength of your belief. Put money where your mouth is. If you are interested in mathematically finding out the strength of your belief, then tell me those two weights. See Subjective (Bayesian) Probability and betting.
See my comment #6. I am 100% certain on both P1 and P2. Scripture leaves no room for an alternative. Satan is dead, and the evil presently manifested in the world is being performed without Satan's presence to instigate it. The guilt for the evil being performed in today's world now lies solely at the feet of mankind alone and the wicked impulses of the human heart causing it.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
See my comment #6. I am 100% certain on both P1 and P2. Scripture leaves no room for an alternative. Satan is dead, and the evil presently manifested in the world is being performed without Satan's presence to instigate it. The guilt for the evil being performed in today's world now lies solely at the feet of mankind alone and the wicked impulses of the human heart causing it.
Do you want to wager on that? This is the 3rd and the last time I have asked.

You can say you are 100% sure the earth is flat. Words are cheap unless you are willing to wager on it.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK, I guess evil is all done away with, and we are experiencing a world without sin..........Anybody see a problem here...?

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

That's Hyper Calvinism - Catholic nonsense.

Satan was not cast out of heaven to test you.
He was cast out of heaven because iniquity was found in Him.
Satan is evil, just as God is Light.
Satan's nature is sin.... so, the sin nature in a person, is the devil's nature.
This is why Jesus told all unbelievers....>"and the deeds of YOUR FATHER, you will do". = SIN and LOVE IT.

So, the reason that evil exists, is because the Father of Evil in in control of unbelievers and a lot of believer's MINDs.
Satan is the God of THIS world, and the born again are in this world but not OF IT>

See that?

Satan has no power over you, if you are BORN AGAIN.
All Satan can do, is TEMP..... all he can do is come at you with his DARTS and his METHODS....and that is not the type of testing that Calvinist's and Catholic's and religious nut bars are talking about.

See, a Devil led Calvinist will tell you that "God wants you poor, so that you can develop spiritually by living in misery".

or..

"God put that cancer on your baby, so that you can learn how to trust in prayer".

And that type of Cross Rejecting teaching is OF THE DEVIL, and so are the deceived people who teach it.

And YES< ive read JOB... and Job is in the OLD Testament, and you are not...

So, ALL Legalist's , try to remember that, when you are trying to deny the NEW TESTAMENT and the
NEW Covenant, by falsely teaching your "the devil is here to test you" theology.

Last edited:

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Absolutely. GOD is sovereign. Satan can't do anything without His permission as we've seen concerning Job.
Satan rules the world (the DARKNESS of fallen mankind)- which we are not supposed to conform to. So he doesn't rule us. There is adeeper meaning to rule. It means the world is under the Law and will suffer and be judged by the Law. The wagesof sin is death. We are not under the rule of LAW, we are under GRACE, His LIGHT.
After Jesus died, rose and ascended, He was given all authority in heaven and on earth.
And mortals choose with their free will to practice sin, yet do not know its sin in many cases. Because satan and his teachers( 2Cor 11:12-15) transform into angels of light making things on the table of demons look good , loving, sharing to the mortal heart. The same will occur with the image of the beast, it will look good and loving to the mortal heart, 99% are being mislead.
Actually God gave protection to his followers before that satan challenge concerning Job. The issues satan raised got God to remove that protection, now all mortals must prove their faith through thick and thin.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
now all mortals must prove their faith through thick and thin.

or what?

We turn into sea serpents?

Listen, God accepted our Faith in Christ, to give us the New Birth, so, our faith was proven already, and that is Why the believer is born again.

God sees the HEART... long before you do anything anything with yourself.

What you prove, is obedience, as obedience is better than sacrifice.

Let me show you where you prove your faith.

Its "by your works", James teaches, and you do that in front of other people, as God sees your HEART..

"well behold, doesn't God see my works"...

Not like other people see them...
See, they see your works as "fruit"......but God is not looking at your fruit, as you can FAKE FRUIT... you can FAKE being a Christian., when in fact the person is just a water baptized cult member, .. .religious but LOST.
Whereas, you can't fake your heart where God sees INSIDE YOU< where you HEART MOTIVE is what He's investigating.

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
or what?

We turn into sea serpents?

Listen, God accepted our Faith in Christ, to give us the New Birth, so, our faith was proven already, and that is Why the believer is born again.

God sees the HEART... long before you do anything anything with yourself.

What you prove, is obedience, as obedience is better than sacrifice.

Let me show you where you prove your faith.

Its "by your works", James teaches, and you do that in front of other people, as God sees your HEART..

"well behold, doesn't God see my works"...

Not like other people see them...
See, they see your works as "fruit"......but God is not looking at your fruit, as you can FAKE FRUIT... you can FAKE being a Christian., when in fact the person is just a water baptized cult member, .. .religious but LOST.
Whereas, you can't fake your heart where God sees INSIDE YOU< where you HEART MOTIVE is what He's investigating.
Jesus said--Enter through the narrow gate, for cramped is the road that leads off into life, FEW are the ones finding it. For many have entered the broad and spacious path that leads to destruction.
Yes obeying is the way. Few do. Few even know the truths Jesus taught. Few claiming to be his followers know the truth he taught. Because 99% of all religion claiming to be christian are false religions( 2 Cor 11:12-15) 1 Cor 1:10)

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Jesus said--Enter through the narrow gate,

Jesus died on the CROSS, which is the only WAY you'll get to go to heaven,. John 14:6

Never NEVER use symbolic verses to try to deny literal verses, as that is a Heretic's game.
Never play that part.

Now let me show you..

1.) BROAD is the WAY, (the means and the method and the path) = to DESTRUCTION...

The BROAD WAY.. .is any WAY, any means, any RELIGION or SELF EFFORT to try to go to heaven, or to to be accepted by GOD>
This is all the BROAD WAY that leads to "DESTRUCTION">.= and that is HELL........as HELL is the ""2nd DEATH, or outer darkness"", and that is to be eternally separated from GOD, who "exists in LIGHT"< and Jesus is the LIGHT of the WORLD.. and all the born again, are "children OF THE LIGHT."

Matthew 7

= 2.) the Narrow WAY......, see that? What is that WAY, = that is NARROW, as compared to the BROAD WAY ??

See that?

Narrow, vs BROAD.

The Narrow WAY, is the CROSS of CHRIST, because Jesus said that its the ONLY WAY... the single way... which makes it NARROW, vs BROAD.

See it?

So, the GATE, is JESUS, the GATE is the CROSS OF CHRIST.. The GATE is to be "Justified by FAITH".... because Jesus is the only DOOR who leads the SHEEP to God.. He is SALVATION, that is Narrow, because JESUS is the ONLY WAY (Gate) TO THE FATHER.. = "but by ME">. He told YOU.

That's Narrow gate, as that is the only ONE.

Last edited:

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus died on the CROSS, which is the only WAY you'll get to go to heaven,. John 14:6

Never NEVER use symbolic verses to try to deny literal verses, as that is a Heretic's game.
Never play that part.

Now let me show you..

1.) BROAD is the WAY, (the means and the method and the path) = to DESTRUCTION...

The BROAD WAY.. .is any WAY, any means, any RELIGION or SELF EFFORT to try to go to heaven, or to to be accepted by GOD>
This is all the BROAD WAY that leads to "DESTRUCTION">.= and that is HELL........as HELL is the ""2nd DEATH, or outer darkness"", and that is to be eternally separated from GOD, who "exists in LIGHT"< and Jesus is the LIGHT of the WORLD.. and all the born again, are "children OF THE LIGHT."

Matthew 7

= 2.) the Narrow WAY......, see that? What is that WAY, = that is NARROW, as compared to the BROAD WAY ??

See that?

Narrow, vs BROAD.

The Narrow WAY, is the CROSS of CHRIST, because Jesus said that its the ONLY WAY... the single way... which makes it NARROW, vs BROAD.

See it?

So, the GATE, is JESUS, the GATE is the CROSS OF CHRIST.. The GATE is to be "Justified by FAITH".... because Jesus is the only DOOR who leads the SHEEP to God.. He is SALVATION, that is Narrow, because JESUS is the ONLY WAY (Gate) TO THE FATHER.. = "but by ME">. He told YOU.

That's Narrow gate, as that is the only ONE.
Only the little flock( Luke 12:32) are promised heaven. These are the anointed bride, 144,000( Rev 14:3) who are bought from the earth-They will be co rulers with Jesus on thrones( Rev 1:6) Rev 20:6)
The great crowd( Rev 7:9) of other sheep( John 10:16) are not of that fold. They are promised earth-Matt 5:5, Psalm 37:29
False religions tell all they are going to heaven.
At Luke 22:29-30) The emblems are only partaken of by the bride, the ones who will sit on thrones. Only members of the bride were present at the lords evening meal.