Saturday is Sabbath day...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mark s

Nov 12, 2010
Hi James,

Trying to pare this down . . . I wrote a first draft reply, attempting brevity, and ended up with 3 pages! So, trying to just hit the main points, I'll give the point you are making as I understand it, your specific support, and my reply. It will still probibly end up too long!

1. Exceptions to the Sabbath Law are allowed.

Your assertion – Carrying his bed, picking corn, demonstrate that exceptions were allowed. We look at Jesus as the guide to how to keep the Sabbath.

My reply – Jesus is not recorded as doing his carpentry on the Sabbath. This is a different level of activity. Manna, the sabbatical year, these demonstrate God's supernatural provision to allow His law to be kept. It was the seventh day that was holy, not other days, and the exceptions did not include one's regular daily employment, excepting the priests.

2. The Law was not clearly laid out.

Your assertion – Jesus was accused of violating the Sabbath, therefore the the Sabbath Law was not so cut and dried.

My reply – this is non-sequitor. Though the Pharisees mis-interpretted and added to the Law, that does not mean the original law was difficult to understand.

Your citation:

Mar 7:13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

Of course we need to look at the context, but even so, this is an example of how they added what God had not said.

But this does not give us license to treat the Sabbath as a regular Work Day.

3. Jesus demonstrates “a degree of liberty” in exactly how we obey the Law without actually breaking it.

Your assertion – The Holy Spirit lets us know which “technical violations” of the Law are permissible. Also, Jesus changed parts of the Law.

My reply – The Bible itself tells us that the Law was a covenant between Israel and God, and as a Gentile, I was never a part of that covenant.

That aside, The Spirit tells me that keeping the Sabbath is not needed, because it is a shadow of Christ, but now, having Christ Himself, I no longer need the shadow. My actual sabbath rest is to rest from all of my works, since by works of Law I am not made righteous. I am made righteous in Christ.

Now, whether or not you agree with this last part, how can you deny that the Spirit speaks to me as He speaks to you?

4. Jesus' example supercedes Moses or Paul. Jesus removed the death penalty for adultery by not enforcing it upon the woman caught.

Your assertion – Jesus pardoned her sin instead of exacting the death penalty, therefore the death penalty for adultery under the Mosaic Covenant was abrogated, at least temporarily.

My reply – The death penalty for adultery under the Mosaic covenant never was given for the gentiles.
Secondarily, Jesus did not say that the penalty for adultery under the Mosaic Covenant was no longer to be death. He said, “neither do I condemn you”. There is a difference. In once case, the Law is changed. In the other case, the Law is dismissed. He could have condemned her according to the Law, and the condemnation would have been written in the Book, He would not have to even say it. However, He simply did not condemn her.

This is in keeping with 2 Cor 5, God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to them.

Also, if we are correctly interpreting, the Scriptures will complement, not conflict. Jesus will always agree with both Moses and Paul if correctly understood.

5. The Law is good if a man use it lawfully.

Your assertion – by Paul's statement, we should embrace the Mosaic Covenant Law.

My reply – is the rest of the passage:

1 Timothy 1:8-11 LITV
(8) And we know that the Law is good, if anyone uses it lawfully,
(9) knowing this, that Law is not laid down for a righteous one, but for lawless and undisciplined ones, for ungodly and sinful ones, for unholy and profane ones, for slayers of fathers and slayers of mothers, for murderers,
(10) for fornicators, for homosexuals, for slave-traders, for liars, for perjurers, and if any other thing opposes sound doctrine,
(11) according to the gospel of the glory of the blessed God with which I was entrusted.

Another passage for clarity:

Ephesians 4:24 LITV
(24) and to put on the new man, which according to (that is, patterned after) God was created in righteousness and true holiness.

The Law was not laid down for a righteous one. Our new creation – the new person we are, was created in God's pattern, in righteousness and true holiness.

6. You and I are actually in nearer agreement than may appear.

Your assertion – Walking in the Spirit actually makes us want to please the Father, which leads us to want to keep the 10 commandments.

My reply – We are diametrically opposite.

Exodus 24:1-8 LITV
(1) And He said to Moses, Come up to YHWH, you and Aaron, Nadab, and Abihu, and seventy from the elders of Israel. And bow yourselves from a distance.
(2) And let Moses approach by himself to YHWH, and they shall not approach. And the people shall not go up with him.
(3) And Moses came and told all the words of YHWH to the people, and all the judgments. And all the people answered with one voice and said, We will do all the Words which YHWH has spoken.
(4) And Moses wrote all the Words of YHWH. And he rose early in the morning and built an altar below the mountain, and twelve memorial pillars for the twelve tribes of Israel.
(5) And he sent young men of the sons of Israel. And they offered up burnt offerings, and offered sacrifices of bulls, peace offerings to YHWH.
(6) And Moses took half of the blood, and he put it in basins. And he sprinkled half of the blood on the altar.
(7) And he took the book of the covenant, and read in the ears of the people. And they said, We will do all that YHWH has spoken, and we will hear.
(8) And Moses took the blood and sprinkled on the people, and said, Behold, the blood of the covenant which YHWH has cut with you concerning these words.

The Law was a covenant between God and Israel.

Deuteronomy 4:13 LITV
(13) And He declared His covenant to you which He has commanded you to do, the Ten Commandments; and He wrote them on two tablets of stone.

The ten commandments are specifically named as a covenant between God and Israel. We are under a different covenant.

Your view is a mixture of the Old and New Covenants, however, the New has replaced the Old.

7. Keeping the Law is pragmatically good, as God blesses us for our obedience.

Your assertion – If you keep the commandments, you don't suffer the consequences of not, such as STD, jail, a guilty conscience.

My reply – A man reaps as he sows. There are natural consequences of certain actions and behaviors. A lack of those consequences as a result of abstention is not necessarily equal to actively being blessed for obedience. Not to mention, blessings for obedience was specifically according to the Covanant of Law. Under the New Covenant, we receive our blessings in Christ.

There is another aspect to this topic as regards reaping and sowing. If we sow certain thoughts, we reap certain perceptions and attitudes. Trying to live in 2 worlds is not the best thing for us as New Covenant Believers.

8. While parts of the Law were abrogated, we come under the remaining parts being grafted into Israel.

Your assertion – Many portions of the Law have been eliminated or modified. The 10 commandments remain as a benefit to us. Being grafted into Israel, we come under that remaining portion of the Old Covenant (I realize this is not exactly what you stated, however, I believe it is what is required if your words are to stand.)

My reply – We are grafted into Abraham, not Israel. Moreover, the Bible affirms in several places that the Law is a unit, you cannot subdivide it.

9. We are to study the Bible, observe Christ's example, and follow our heart for how exactly to keep the law.

Your assertion – While we are bound to keep the Law, we have a flexibility in exactly how. For you, the feasts seem preferable to the Catholic holidays. Eating Kosher is better for you. Other parts of the law simply don't apply to your particular lifestyle.

My reply – This is where I find the least disagreement between us. We are free to keep any of the Laws we want to. We have complete liberty in this. If you want to eat Kosher, just remind me if I ever have the pleasure of inviting you to my home for a meal.

And . . . last, certainly not least . . .

10. I am of Paul, and you are of Christ.

Your assertion – I follow a misguided conception of Paul's writings, while Christ gave the true example in His life on earth.

My reply – Paul and Christ are not divided. They are in agreement, if correctly understood. Paul is considered to have possessed one of the finest minds of his time, being judged solely by his writings. Now, we know the Holy Spirit was the true Author, the point is, it is widely recognized that Paul's writings are very high level, high quality communication. Greek is a very precise language. Paul made very plain statements.

But not just Paul. James, and Peter also. And the fact is, the New Covenant began at Christ's death. Jesus lived His earthly life under the Mosaic Covenant of Law, and fulfilled it. That covenant was replaced. That Jesus lived under, and kept the Mosaic Covenant Law does not mean that we are under that same covenant. It was the whole point of His death, to replace the Ministry of death with the ministry of righteousness.

Love in Christ,
Mark

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Marvelous! Why don't you begin by responding to this key section of post #220:

What 2 Cor 3:7-15 relates is that the veil (a degree of spiritual blindness) has now been lifted and removed from reading the OT laws because we are now ‘in Christ’ and can see the God’s Law in its full glory, NOT that the laws themselves are removed or in any way superceded. Follow Christ and focus not upon what Paul directed largely to an audience of scripturally unlearned Grecian heathens but what the Lord Jesus re-iterated concerning the permanence and importance of the Law of God:

Mat 5:17 "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill.

Jesus didn’t abolish a single law of the Ten Commandments. Christ fulfilled all of the sacrificial and priestly laws AND demonstrated to us how we, likewise, should fulfill the moral laws contained in the Ten Commandments (which included ‘keeping the Sabbath holy’) by walking in the Spirit of the Living God.

Mat 5:18 "For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished."

The last time I checked, heaven and earth have not yet passed away and the Law is still to be enforced. Idolators and blasphemers, perjurers, murderers and thieves etc., still are being punished and likewise, await their eternal judgments . . . that is, unless they repent of their transgressions of God’s Law. And even if the sinner repents and believes in Christ he is not free to continue to ignore the Ten Commandments at will. (John 5:14, John 8:11)

Mat 5:19 "Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Take careful notice Jesus’ warning in Matt 5:19 to those who would attempt to annul one of God’s commandments (such as the Sabbath). No, it doesn’t specifically say you’ll be damned, just considered ‘the least in the Kingdom of God’ (not a goal to which I’d wish to aspire).

Mat 5:20 "For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.

We are to be MORE righteous than the Jews who obey the letter of the law but NOT the spirit of the law. We are to ‘follow Christ’s example’ who never transgressed a single commandment in His entire life and walked in the Spirit as well. Yes, our righteousness is ‘in Christ’ but we are still obligated to follow the Father’s commandments. (John 15:10)

Mat 5:21 "You have heard that the ancients were told, 'YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT MURDER' and 'Whoever commits murder shall be liable to the court.'
Mat 5:22 "But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, 'You good-for-nothing,' shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, 'You fool,' shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell." –NASB

Notice: Instead of removing God’s commandment of “Thou shalt not murder.” Jesus AMPLIFIES the Law to include even becoming angry against our brothers without cause. The scribes and Pharisees fully understood the basics of the commandment etched in stone but were oblivious to the higher command which should have also been etched in their hearts. (Deut 32:46, 1Ki. 8:58)

2Co 3:3 Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.

We are to be living, breathing, walking New Testaments examples of Christ’s faithful walk obeying God’s Law which is written on our hearts, not upon tablets of stone. Sure, we do have a measure of liberty in Christ but we should never use that liberty as an excuse for lawlessness (1Pe. 2:16). We recognize that our salvation is strictly a byproduct of Christ’s fulfillment of God’s Law and we, likewise, obey the heavenly Father’s commandments because we love to serve Him and are truly appreciative of the grace He has bestowed upon us through faith in His blessed Son, and our savior Christ Jesus.

I was going to respond to your whole post but then decided to let you have another go at the text in 2 Cor. 3:7-15. You seemed to have skipped over 7-11 and only commented on 12-15. So let's narrow it down so verses 7-11 won't be left out or avoided.

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was going to respond to your whole post but then decided to let you have another go at the text in 2 Cor. 3:7-15. You seemed to have skipped over 7-11 and only commented on 12-15. So let's narrow it down so verses 7-11 won't be left out or avoided.

Fine, my 'Huckleberry friend'. Today has been 'one of those days' if you know what I mean. Just squeaked in under the tax deadline and one of the prior posters got a bit under my skin. It's been rather busy here since we last spoke.

Let me reflect a while on those passages and I'll get back to you. . . And I apologize for the omission. It wasn't intentional.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Fine, my 'Huckleberry friend'. Today has been 'one of those days' if you know what I mean. Just squeaked in under the tax deadline and one of the prior posters got a bit under my skin. It's been rather busy here since we last spoke.

Let me reflect a while on those passages and I'll get back to you. . . And I apologize for the omission. It wasn't intentional.
Take your time James :)

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Take your time James :)

OK, sounds good Jiggyfly. In order that we don’t begin by getting bogged down in multiple pages of discourse, I agree that restricting the opening discussion to those five verses you mentioned. We can always agree to expand the discussion to continue to verse 15 later. I’ll try to keep this initial post concise:

2Co 3:7-11 But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:

The Apostle Paul begins by mentioning that the Law of Moses (which I concede Paul includes the Ten Commandments) was a “ministration of death” and I agree that in many ways it was. With the notable exceptions of Joshua and Caleb all of the Israelites over the age of twenty who participated in the Exodus from Egypt ‘died in the wilderness’ including Moses, Aaron and Miriam. None of those ‘chosen people’ got to see the Promised Land. Some died of severe judgments of God, e.g., the earth opened and swallowed up, other transgressors and murmurers were smitten by plagues, instantly dropped dead or were consumed by divine fire, or stoned to death outside the camp for a number of transgressions but most simply died of old age.

This ministration of death” also includes the shed blood of thousands of animal sacrifices to atone for sin as well as priestly offerings unto God. So Paul’s statement of the“ministration of death” is undoubtedly apropos in many respects.

However, in the very same verse, Paul also claims that this Law of Moses was “glorious”. And even references the word “glory or glorious” three times and elsewhere in some following passages. Paul’s “glorious” connotation appears to be a bit hard to fathom after what I described in the previous paragraph.

And if anyone were to ask a large number of today’s Christians to quickly list a dozen or so things of ‘How they would describe the Law of Moses” what percentage do you imagine would include the word “glorious” in their list? (ans. . . durn few) So most Christians today, apparently, don't care to share Paul's 'glorious' opinion for the OT.

Yet, there were, indeed, many glorious aspects about Moses’ Law and Exodus adventures, e.g., the parting of the Red Sea, millions being miraculously fed with manna for forty years, smiting a rock to yield a river of running water, their clothes not wearing, pillars of clouds and fire to guide the Israelites journey and many more astounding divine interventions on their behalf and countless other events surrounding the prophets of old contained throughout the Old Testament.

(8) How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?

Paul now describes the New Testament as even more glorious than its predecessor. I don’t disagree. Thanks to Christ’s ultimate sacrifice on the cross of Calvary, we no longer have to offer spotless animal sacrifices whenever we sin or to appease our Heavenly Father and (at least for the present) the arm of God’s wrath has been notably restrained. We also now have God’s beloved only Son and Our Saviour to petition the Father on our behalf and Christ’s immeasurable mercy and grace is available to all who are willing to repent and humbly call upon His Sacred name.

(9) For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.

Here the apostle defines and contrasts a ministration of condemnation vs. the ministration of righteousness. Condemnation (OT) vs. Righteousness (NT). This is largely true but IMO is a bit of a generalization on Paul’s part because not all OT followers of the Law of Moses were “condemned” now were they? Though Moses never got to set foot in the Promised Land, he later appears to a few select disciples in a glorified form with the prophet Elijah on the Mount of Transfiguration ministering unto Jesus. (Mat. 17:3) And we should not be surprised to find Joshua and Caleb and a host of thousands of other righteous OT prophets and saints residing in the heavenly Kingdom of God.

(10) For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth.

Paul reiterates that the NT ministration is more glorious than the OT. However, other than the ministry of the disciples in the First Century and I have a hard time finding ANY of today's Church leaders who can compare with the glorious dynamism of OT prophets such as Enoch, Moses, Elijah, Elisha, King David, et al.

(11) For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious.

Here Paul appears to claim that all of Moses Law has been “done away” . Again, IMO, this is also is a bit of a generalization on Paul’s part because though the (second copy of the ) Ten Commandment etched in stone are somewhere still enshrined in the Ark of the Covenant. Those eternal divinely inscribed precepts are (or should be) now written upon the tables of every faithful Christian’s heart. It is my contention that they are NOT written there TO BE IGNORED.

And though no one is likely (or entitled) to now stone another Christian brother to death for committing blasphemy, adultery (or working on the Sabbath) we still have to one day face the Father and account for our unrepentant transgressions. While other commandments, e.g., against murder, perjury, theft are also penalized by civil law and may also have eternal judgment ramifications.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Thanks for replying James I really appreciate it. Thank you for covering all of the text. One of your points that I disagree with is I really don't see Paul generalizing the "done away" .
Can you point out where you find the "law written on every faithful Christian's heart" in the scriptures?

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Hi James,

Trying to pare this down . . . I wrote a first draft reply, attempting brevity, and ended up with 3 pages! So, trying to just hit the main points, I'll give the point you are making as I understand it, your specific support, and my reply. It will still probibly end up too long!

Love in Christ,
Mark

For sake of length, I've left the main body of your reply out! But I just wanted to say that was perhaps the best summation of those points I've ever read! Amen and well done!!

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for replying James I really appreciate it. Thank you for covering all of the text. One of your points that I disagree with is I really don't see Paul generalizing the "done away" .

You're welcome. Figuratively speaking, the Ten Commandments have been "done away" and other translations use the term "fade away" according to the Apostle Paul but existentially or empirically most of mankind (Christian or not) inwardly knows that it is wrong to steal, murder, lie, covet, bear false witness, dishonor their parents, etc. Paul, himself, would specifically address many of these same transgressions in other epistles to the Gentiles, so in that sense, those laws still existed in the First Century and they still need to be addressed in the Twenty First Century.

Can you point out where you find the "law written on every faithful Christian's heart" in the scriptures?

Sure. In fact, after I posted my message I saw a few grammatical mistakes and made a half dozen edits and additions. Then I realized I was taking it for granted that the reader would know about the "law written on every faithful Christian's heart" reference and decided to add the scripture references but received a "You are not permitted to perform that task." message. Oh well, I was too late. Good catch.

This reference first appears as a prophecy in the Book of Jeremiah:

Jer 31:31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
Jer 31:32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
Jer 31:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

And is reiterated in the NT by the writer of Hebrews (Paul?)

Heb 8:8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
Heb 8:9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
Heb 10:16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
For sake of length, I've left the main body of your reply out! But I just wanted to say that was perhaps the best summation of those points I've ever read! Amen and well done!!

Best summation of those points in terms of accuracy, or in terms of an attempted thorough coverage?

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
You're welcome. Figuratively speaking, the Ten Commandments have been "done away" and other translations use the term "fade away" according to the Apostle Paul but existentially or empirically most of mankind (Christian or not) inwardly knows that it is wrong to steal, murder, lie, covet, bear false witness, dishonor their parents, etc. Paul, himself, would specifically address many of these same transgressions in other epistles to the Gentiles, so in that sense, those laws still existed in the First Century and they still need to be addressed in the Twenty First Century.

Sure. In fact, after I posted my message I saw a few grammatical mistakes and made a half dozen edits and additions. Then I realized I was taking it for granted that the reader would know about the "law written on every faithful Christian's heart" reference and decided to add the scripture references but received a "You are not permitted to perform that task." message. Oh well, I was too late. Good catch.

This reference first appears as a prophecy in the Book of Jeremiah:

Jer 31:31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
Jer 31:32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
Jer 31:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

And is reiterated in the NT by the writer of Hebrews (Paul?)

Heb 8:8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
Heb 8:9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
Heb 10:16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

Sounds good except both of the scripture texts you posted says "the house of Israel" and "the house of Judah", I don't see any mention of "Christian".

I believe we are to be led by the HolySpirit in all things and not the law whether be written external or internal. HolySpirit will not lead in anyway that conflicts with the law, and Paul said in essence that the being led by the law is far less glorious than being led by HolySpirit.

For no one can ever be made right with God by doing what the law commands. The law simply shows us how sinful we are. Romans 3:20

Tis why Christians are not instructed or commanded to observe the law but many times over we are encouraged, instructed and commanded to follow HolySpirit.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Best summation of those points in terms of accuracy, or in terms of an attempted thorough coverage?

Hey! I definitely was impressed by how clearly laid out the answer was...including thoughts and scriptures, and keeping the points easy to understand.
I would probably differ in opinion to some of the points, but several were excellent. I kind of jumped into the conversation, and haven't read many of the first pages to understand the 'back story' to the reply, but as to what was said in it, I would hesitate to agree with the first two points (would need to dig into the intended meaning a little more), but the others seem to have sound biblical basis. Point 9, again, I would want to dig into a bit, but I especially like point 10.
Hope that clarifies things a bit!

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Thank you!

Free free to ask for any clarifications you desire.

Love in Christ,
Mark

Well, okay then!! :)

Point 2
You said- But this does not give us license to treat the Sabbath as a regular Work Day.

Just to clarify...are you saying here you believe the Sabbath should be kept a la OT standards (minus the weird inclusions by the Pharisees), or are you just saying that as Jesus tells us that the Sabbath was actually made for man, that we should regard that one day a week as a blessing from God to rest from our '9 to 5' jobs, and spend it with family/friends and helping others?

Point 9
You said – This is where I find the least disagreement between us. We are free to keep any of the Laws we want to. We have complete liberty in this. If you want to eat Kosher, just remind me if I ever have the pleasure of inviting you to my home for a meal.

Earlier in your post you stated that the law was a 'unit, and cannot be subdivided'...which I agree with...you either keep all perfectly (which we know to be impossible!) or you rely on grace. So in your reference above to the keeping of some laws and not the others, are you in fact talking about the part in Corinthians where Paul speaks of freedom to do whatever we want (within reason!), but need to be guided by our conscience (and the Spirit!) and also our consideration of others and their weaknesses?

Thanks!

mark s

Nov 12, 2010
Well, okay then!! :)

Point 2
You said- But this does not give us license to treat the Sabbath as a regular Work Day.

Just to clarify...are you saying here you believe the Sabbath should be kept a la OT standards (minus the weird inclusions by the Pharisees), or are you just saying that as Jesus tells us that the Sabbath was actually made for man, that we should regard that one day a week as a blessing from God to rest from our '9 to 5' jobs, and spend it with family/friends and helping others?

Hi Rach,

Essentially, I think the Sabbath rest was a shadow of our rest in Christ.

Colossians 2:16-17 LITV
(16) Then do not let anyone judge you in eating, or in drinking, or in part of a feast, or of a new moon, or of sabbaths,
(17) which are a shadow of coming things, but the body is of Christ.

Hebrews 4:1-11 LITV
(1) Therefore, let us fear lest perhaps a promise having been left to enter into His rest, that any of you may seem to come short.
(2) For, indeed, we have had the gospel preached to us, even as they also; but the Word did not profit those hearing it, not having been mixed with faith in the ones who heard.
(3) For we, the ones believing, enter into the rest, even as He said, "As I swore in My wrath, they shall not enter into My rest," though the works had come into being from the foundation of the world.
(4) For He has spoken somewhere about the seventh day this way, "And God rested from all His works in the seventh day."
(5) And in this again, "They shall not enter into My rest."
(6) Therefore, since it remains for some to enter into it, and those who formerly had the gospel preached did not enter in on account of disobedience,
(7) He again marks out a certain day, saying in David, Today (after so long a time, according as He has said), "Today, if you hear His voice, do not harden your hearts."
(8) For if Joshua gave them rest, then He would not have afterwards spoken about another day.
(9) So, then, there remains a sabbath rest to the people of God.
(10) For he entering into His rest, he himself also rested from his works, as God had rested from His own.
(11) Therefore, let us exert ourselves to enter into that rest, that not anyone fall in the same example of disobedience.

Israel kept a day of rest, the Sabbath, though within a covenant of works. The rest was not a true rest, but a shadow of the true rest. Even in rest, it was a work of the Law. The true rest is a rest from the works of the Law, and is found in Christ. The Sabbath is the shadow, Christ is the body that casts the shadow.

Jesus' statement that the Sabbath was made for man was to counter the additions of the Pharisees making the Sabbath a burden instead of a blessing, though it still had its requirements.

This is my core understanding of the Sabbath. But for those who would argue that we are to keep the Sabbath, I reply, Hear what the Law says, you who would keep it.

In this instance, the key, most basic componant is to set the Sabbath apart from other days, that you rest from your labors in it. And though there were exceptions, such as returning your neighbor's run-away donkey, these should not be construed as allowing an exception that goes against the most basic component, allowing the regular work day to occur on the Sabbath.

The one actual exception to this was for the priests, which counterpoints everything else, emphasizing that maintaining your acceptance by God is never-ending work, impossible to ever complete. In the same way, there were no chairs in the temple. There was no resting. The only true rest is in Christ.

You said – This is where I find the least disagreement between us. We are free to keep any of the Laws we want to. We have complete liberty in this. If you want to eat Kosher, just remind me if I ever have the pleasure of inviting you to my home for a meal.

Earlier in your post you stated that the law was a 'unit, and cannot be subdivided'...which I agree with...you either keep all perfectly (which we know to be impossible!) or you rely on grace. So in your reference above to the keeping of some laws and not the others, are you in fact talking about the part in Corinthians where Paul speaks of freedom to do whatever we want (within reason!), but need to be guided by our conscience (and the Spirit!) and also our consideration of others and their weaknesses?

Thanks!

Paul said that he would live as those under law to win those under law, and as those not under law to win those not under law. He was clear to point out that this did not mean he was lawless, as some claim we are if we do not claim the old covenant. He was ruled by Christ, as we are. That is not lawlessness, but neither is it the old covenant.

1 Corinthians 9:19-23 LITV
(19) For being free of all, I enslaved myself to all, that I might gain the more.
(20) And I became as a Jew to the Jews, that I might gain Jews; to those under Law as under Law, that I might gain those under Law;
(21) to those without Law as without Law (not being without Law of God, but under the law of Christ), that I might gain those without Law.
(22) I became to the weak as weak, that I might gain the weak. To all I have become all things, that in any and every way I might save some.
(23) And I do this for the gospel, that I might become a fellow partaker of it.

We have liberty to keep the Law or not, or whatever parts we want. I can eat kosher, and I can eat shrimp.

And in the part you reference, we abuse our liberty when it becomes a stumbling stone to others.

I think a very important example is when, at pretty much the same time in history, Paul had Timothy circumcised since he was half-Greek, everybody knew it, and they were going to be preaching the Gospel to Jews, and Paul prohibited Titus being circumcised, since the Jews were demanding he be circumcised to meet the requirement of the Law.

Love in Christ,
Mark

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Hi Rach,

Essentially, I think the Sabbath rest was a shadow of our rest in Christ.

...The only true rest is in Christ.

Paul said that he would live as those under law to win those under law, and as those not under law to win those not under law. He was clear to point out that this did not mean he was lawless, as some claim we are if we do not claim the old covenant. He was ruled by Christ, as we are. That is not lawlessness, but neither is it the old covenant.

We have liberty to keep the Law or not, or whatever parts we want. I can eat kosher, and I can eat shrimp.

And in the part you reference, we abuse our liberty when it becomes a stumbling stone to others.

Love in Christ,
Mark

Okay...thanks for clarifying! I would say that you and I are on exactly the same page...which brings me right back to...awesome post!

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sounds good except both of the scripture texts you posted says "the house of Israel" and "the house of Judah", I don't see any mention of "Christian".

You’ve been around the doctrinal block a few times, Jiggyfly. You should know that many times the rich gems of the Word of God require a degree of spiritual discernment and the ability to ‘read between the lines’, if you will. Sometimes such doctrinal treasures were deliberately divinely cloaked in mysteries and are not readily apparent to the novice.

Do you know how many times the word "Christian" appears in the Bible? (Ans. Twice, and in the plural Once) Now, if you only study the passages that you deem as specifically addressed to you, you can fit them all nicely in a matchbox and won’t have to lug that heavy book around on Sundays or to Bible Studies. And also, think of all the trees your fellow “Christians” that share your profound scriptural views will save. . . LOL

You can even use this indisputable passage from Jesus as a proof text:

Mat 11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

I believe we are to be led by the HolySpirit in all things and not the law whether be written external or internal. HolySpirit will not lead in anyway that conflicts with the law, and Paul said in essence that the being led by the law is far less glorious than being led by HolySpirit.

For no one can ever be made right with God by doing what the law commands. The law simply shows us how sinful we are. Romans 3:20

Tis why Christians are not instructed or commanded to observe the law but many times over we are encouraged, instructed and commanded to follow HolySpirit.

You, evidently, have difficulty spelling “Holy Spirit” correctly. Why should I believe you’re any more proficient in following the indwelt Third Person of the Trinity, than I am?

1Jn 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
1Jn 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. (emphasis mine)

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
You’ve been around the doctrinal block a few times, Jiggyfly. You should know that many times the rich gems of the Word of God require a degree of spiritual discernment and the ability to ‘read between the lines’, if you will. Sometimes such doctrinal treasures were deliberately divinely cloaked in mysteries and are not readily apparent to the novice.

So do you apply this same meaning everywhere Israel and Judah are mentioned? Personally I like to try and keep things within their context and not make it to mean more than was intended.

Do you know how many times the word "Christian" appears in the Bible? (Ans. Twice, and in the plural Once) Now, if you only study the passages that you deem as specifically addressed to you, you can fit them all nicely in a matchbox and won’t have to lug that heavy book around on Sundays or to Bible Studies. And also, think of all the trees your fellow “Christians” that share your profound scriptural views will save. . . LOL

You can even use this indisputable passage from Jesus as a proof text:

Mat 11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Yes your right Christian is used only a couple of times, but "soma Christos" and "ekklesia" are used throughout the NT many times.

Yes Jesus' yoke is easy especially in comparison to the yoke of the law.

1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. 2 Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing. 3 For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law. 4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.
Gal 5:1-4 (KJV)

You, evidently, have difficulty spelling “Holy Spirit” correctly. Why should I believe you’re any more proficient in following the indwelt Third Person of the Trinity, than I am?

Well John, I have never asked you to believe anything concerning myself, you are entitled to your own opinion about me, I'm free from all that.

1Jn 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
1Jn 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. (emphasis mine)
34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
John 13:34 (KJV)

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James previously posted:
“You’ve been around the doctrinal block a few times, Jiggyfly. You should know that many times the rich gems of the Word of God require a degree of spiritual discernment and the ability to ‘read between the lines’, if you will. Sometimes such doctrinal treasures were deliberately divinely cloaked in mysteries and are not readily apparent to the novice.”

So do you apply this same meaning everywhere Israel and Judah are mentioned? Personally I like to try and keep things within their context and not make it to mean more than was intended.

Good question. I have no objection to your doctrinal tact as the immediate context would naturally dictate the surest course in the lion’s share of scriptural cases. However, in the specific scriptures I posted, Jeremiah’s OT prophecy was directly restated by the Apostle Paul (the Apostle of the Gentiles) in the NT. As to whether Paul’s NT reiteration signifies that this particular prophetic passage has a more meaningful context? IMO, yes, I think it could qualify as a good candidate for further examination for deeper revelation.

Many of the Pilgrim & Puritan founders of this nation often ascribed a certain spiritual significance or correlation between the Israel of the Bible and their conquest of this new “Promised Land” (America). Whether this expression of a form of “spiritual Israel” is largely metaphorical or an actual manifestation of the “Lost tribes of Israel”, I’ll leave for you to decide. Personally, I lean towards the latter, i.e., the merits of British-Israelism. Ye shall know them by their fruits. . .

Yes your (sic) right Christian is used only a couple of times, but "soma Christos" and "ekklesia" are used throughout the NT many times.

True. It is interesting to note that the same word "ekklesia" was also used in the NT to define the Israelites in the wilderness:

Acts 7:38 This is he, that was in the church in the wilderness with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us: -KJV

Likewise, letters/books addressed to the “saints” kaw-doshe” in Hebrew or “hagios” in Greek can reference the faithful people of God in either testament. Therefore, your rebuttal questioning whether or not the NT followers of Christ are obliged to pay (or ascribe less) personal attention or significance to these kinds of passages or commandments because they ‘aren’t precisely addressed to “Christians” may be an unwise decision on your part, with some drastic unintended consequences. I believe a degree of spiritual discernment is called for in these kinds of situations, not casual dismissal.

Yes Jesus' yoke is easy especially in comparison to the yoke of the law.

You are entitled to your opinion on this matter. However, from my experience, the Ten Commandments (by themselves) are NOT all that difficult to abide by. They become rather ‘natural’ to the faithful believers in Christ guided by the Holy Spirit within.

1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. 2 Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing. 3 For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law. 4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace. Gal 5:1-4 (KJV)

Those passages refer to circumcision,they are NOT an inference to any of the Ten Commandments nor the Sabbath. Do you really believe that it is some form of “bondage” to honor your parents? Do you believe it’s cruel or unusually harsh to be commanded by God to refrain from murder? Stealing? Blasphemy? Idolatry? Adultery? Bearing false witness? etc. My attempt in this discourse and thread is to show that the fourth commandment, i.e., ‘keeping the Sabbath holy’ need not be any more “burdensome” than obeying the other nine commandments, which you probably, likewise don’t have all that much difficulty in keeping.

And I want to re-emphasize (though I know full well I’ll probably have to repeatedly restate this because it never seems to sink in to my Anti-nomianist opponents) I, James W. Forthwright, do solemnly swear that:

MY OBEDIENCE TO THE SABBATH LAWS OR ANY OF THE OTHER TEN COMMANDMENTS IS NOT AN ATTEMPT ON MY PART TO JUSTIFY MY SALVATION THROUGH WORKS OF THE LAW, NOR TO ATTAIN RIGHTEOUSNESS. SALVATION AND IMPARTED RIGHTEOUSNESS IS SOLELY A GRACIOUS GIFT OF GOD MADE SOLELY POSSIBLE BY MY PERSONAL DECISION OF ACKNOWLEDGING AND CONFESSING JESUS CHRIST AS MY LORD AND SAVIOR AND BY HIS PROPITIATORY SACRIFICE AND WORK OF ATONEMENT FOR MY SINS ON THE CROSS OF CALVARY.

I intend to increase the size of the font for each time I am compelled to repeat the above confession in this debate. (It was bolded and in caps for ‘the hard of hearing’.)

James previously posted:
“Why should I believe you’re any more proficient in following the indwelt Third Person of the Trinity, than I am?”

Well John (sic), I have never asked you to believe anything concerning myself, you are entitled to your own opinion about me, I'm free from all that.

That’s a just & fair response, Jiggyfly. Though my name is JAMES (at least in this forum), not John. And likewise, you are free to formulate your own opinion of me and I will endeavor to make it a positive one with the help and direction of the Holy Spirit.

Some words of wisdom for all Christians:

Rom 12:3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

James Forthwright previously posted the following two scriptures:

1Jn 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. (emphasis mine) .

34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. John 13:34 (KJV) .

Because Christ used the word “new” in his commandment, in no way, connotes that ALL of His Father’s previous commandments were, therefore, now to be considered ‘abolished’ nor was a divine license now to be granted for any of the Father's Ten Commandments to be ignored or altered. John 13:34 was written by the beloved disciple John in his gospel account. John was well aware of Christ’s “new” commandment. Yet, in John’s later epistle, the apostle merely clarifies our obligation to continue to obey God’s Commandments in the PLURAL.

Love, in Christ,

James Forthwright

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
MY OBEDIENCE TO THE SABBATH LAWS OR ANY OF THE OTHER TEN COMMANDMENTS IS NOT AN ATTEMPT ON MY PART TO JUSTIFY MY SALVATION THROUGH WORKS OF THE LAW, NOR TO ATTAIN RIGHTEOUSNESS. SALVATION AND IMPARTED RIGHTEOUSNESS IS SOLELY A GRACIOUS GIFT OF GOD MADE SOLELY POSSIBLE BY MY PERSONAL DECISION OF ACKNOWLEDGING AND CONFESSING JESUS CHRIST AS MY LORD AND SAVIOR AND BY HIS PROPITIATORY SACRIFICE AND WORK OF ATONEMENT FOR MY SINS ON THE CROSS OF CALVARY.

Then state in one sentence why you are so concerned with the 10 commandments.