Saturday is Sabbath day...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mcorba

Aug 7, 2010
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
...so why do so many worship on Sunday, the first day of the week?

dan p

Mar 26, 2009

Hi , because the Sabbath was given to Israel .

Anyone caught working on the Sabbath and even fixing food to eat , OR walking more than a Sabbath day journey , was guilty and could be killed , dan p

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Because it's easier to follow Church tradition (one hour of church service) than to follow Christ's example and the Ten Commandments. There is certainly nothing wrong with worshipping on Sunday (or any other day of the week) but the seventh day Sabbath (from sunset Friday to sunset Saturday) was instituted by God as an entire day of rest and dedication to spiritual pursuits and was intended to be a blessing for mankind.

Modern man, apparently, has more important interests. . . "How 'bout dem Packers!"

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi , because the Sabbath was given to Israel .

So, as Christians begin to identify themselves as true Israelites, they should, likewise, begin to honor the Sabbath day.

Anyone caught working on the Sabbath and even fixing food to eat , OR walking more than a Sabbath day journey , was guilty and could be killed , dan p

The Sabbath was intended as a divine "blessing" for mankind (Gen. 2:2-3, Isa. 58:13-14) It is the 'curse of the Law' (or legalistic mindset & punishments) that have been removed, NOT one of the Ten Commandments.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
I see no necessity in meeting a specific day... As a matter of fact, the New Testament principle is to meet every day!

Insight

Aug 7, 2011
I see no necessity in meeting a specific day... As a matter of fact, the New Testament principle is to meet every day!

I agree with you here Prentis.

I believe "For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come." (1 Corinthians 11:26)

mcorba

Aug 7, 2010
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It matters to me (and us as the Body of Christ) because we are meant to follow biblical instruction and if we are celebrating the Sabbath in wrong day we are going against Christ's words and the actual Commandment too!

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house

Why do most Christians celebrate on Sunday? Because Christ gave us something much better.....a new convenant, which is much better than the old and which fulfilled the Jewish Sabbath.

First of all, the six day creation was linked to the Jewish Sabbath. This "six day" creation was linked to the Sabbath because the Sabbath has something to do with mankind's salvation. For in six days, God created everything and on the seventh day, He rested. God consecrated the seventh day and made it holy. And on the seventh day, the Israelites are to rest and not do work. One of the Ten Commandments that was given to Moses concerns the Sabbath Day (See Exodus 20:8-11).

Secondly, of all the Ten Commandments, it was only the Fourth Commandment (Sabbath) that God gave a reason why the Israelites should keep it. God never gave a reason as to why we should not murder, steal, or commit adultery because the reason was already understood. However, only the Fourth Commandment, which is the Sabbath, God gave a reason as to why the Israelites should keep it holy.

Finally, the Sabbath of the Christians is not the same as the Jews. For Christians, they are no longer under the Old Covenant. They are now under the New Covenant. This New Covenant brought fourth a new Sabbath for Christians, which is Sunday.....the Lord's Day. It was on Sunday when Christ rose from the dead. It was on Sunday when Christ ascended to Heaven. It was Sunday when the Holy Spirit descended on the Apostles and His disciples, and it was on Sunday when the Apostles "broke bread" with each other. Sunday became known as the Lord's Day.....and Sunday was linked to a NEW CREATION. It was in Christ Jesus that Christians were made into a new creation and we became a new creature in Christ's death and resurrection.

2 Corinthians 5:17 If then any be in Christ a new creature, the old things are passed away, behold all things are made new.

As Christians, we no longer belong to the Old Creation (a creation linked to the Sabbath), we belong to the New Creation (a creation linked to Christ's death and resurrection). We follow Christ who is the end of the law and the Lord of the Sabbath (Romans 10:4 and Mark 2:28, Matthew 12:8, and Luke 6:5).
In Christ's Passover, Sunday fulfills the spiritual truth of the Jewish sabbath and announces man's eternal rest in God. For worship under the Law prepared for the mystery of Christ, and what was done there prefigured some aspects of Christ:[sup] "[/sup]Those who lived according to the old order of things have come to a new hope, no longer keeping the sabbath, but the Lord's Day, in which our life is blessed by him and by his death. (St. Ignatius of Antioch).

Colossians 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat or in drink, or in respect of a festival day, or of the new moon, or of the sabbaths,

Reactions: WhiteKnuckle

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I can't answer for other Churches or people, but let me give you my reasoning.

I absolutely agree with those who say it doesn't matter which day we worship. Any and every day is a good day to go to Church! By the way, I say that because you mentioned that many worship on Sunday. Realize that folks on discussion boards (this one and most others) tend to be much more dedicated. So when they say, "I worship everyday", I tend to believe them, even if I don't agree with any of their doctrine. The fact that they sought out a message board to discuss issues shows a bit of dedication, even if it is misguided by my standards or the Bible's. They are usually the type that attend some kind of Church function 2, 3 or more days of the week.

As for the Sabbath, which is Saturday. It is in the Law, which we are not bound by. However, like tithes and offerings, it does predate the Law. Heck, If we believe that everything was created in 6 days, then the day of rest was created in less than a week which REALLY predestinates the Law Moses brought!

Given that I believe that any and all days are worthy of Worship, I support the Saturday Worship Service. It certainly is in the top 7 days I'd pick!

However, how did Jesus feel about it? Jesus did break the Law of the Sabbath on at least two occasions in the same chapter of the Bible. That would be Matthew Chapter 12. He allowed the disciples to pick corn and cook up some food, and was questioned about it. He gave a reply, but his final words were that the Son of Man was the Lord of the Sabbath. Then, a sick man wanted to be healed on the Sabbath, and the Pharisees again questioned Jesus about it. He healed him nontheless.

Technically, Jesus did break the law, and it wasn't the only time. However, that is a point for another time. Jesus did however, respect the Sabbath. I am thinking of one time where in chapter 24 of Matthew he said, "pray that your flight doesn't have to happen in winter or during the Sabbath" [paraphrasing]. He still thought of the Sabbath.... He was the Lord of it, after all!

Swinging back the other way, In Galatians 4 Paul rebuked the Galatians as being observers of the Law, and in this chapter especially of beign observers of days, months, times and years. Overall, he was saying we aren't under the Law, and that they should stop switching back to Judiac customs, including the observance of the Sabbath. That, of course is debatable, and feel free to do so, but I can give scripture to back that up.

Next, if you are going to observe the Sabbath, there are also other rules. You can't work, for one. I think the Israelites rightly killed a man for gathering fire wood on the Sabbath.... I'll check that, but I remember something like that. Obviously, you couldn't pick corn, if you are going by the Law, nor cook it. I think you also couldn't travel more than 3/4 of a mile either. I'll check all those if you'd like, but I'm pretty sure there were heavy restrictions.

But, again back the other way... I think it's wonderful to look at the Sabbath and want to Worship on that day. If you are going to say, "God said to do it, thus it's wrong not to!" then fine.... You better keep ALL of the Sabbath as well as every other Law. But there is nothing wrong with keeping the Sabbath. But we are not bound by it, as long as we don't account for it (that is, worshipping specifically on a Saturday) as righteousness. You can claim going to Church as righteousness. After all, it's how we get faith! But it doesn't have to be on a Saturday.

So why Sunday (The first day of the week)?

Well, first off, because it's just as good as Saturday. I just said any and every day of the week is a great time to do it.

Second, because it IS the first day of the week. 2 Chronicles 31:5 (among many others) details something called the firstfruits offering. Now, it's much different in detail from what I am talking about. This was the day that they brought their first "fruits" (wine, calves, food, money, etc) of the season or year. What I am talking about is that Sunday is the first day of the week. Most people get a paycheck every two weeks, but some every week. If you are going to give an offering on Sunday, chances are the first thing you give (meaning the first thing you let money leave your hand) is to God.

Let's not leave it to a money thing. Sunday, most Churches have service in the morning. Mine is at 2:30, but all morning I am preparing for it. The first thing you do of the week if you go to Church is "go to Church"! That is a first fruit of you week, just by attending and participating. So when someone asks "what did you do this week?" you can say, "well the first thing I did this week was go to Church!"

Next, the first meeting of the disciples was on Sunday. You can look to John 20:19 for that. There were extreme reasons for this. First off, Christ died.... They were pretty scared for that reason. They were also scared because it was the day after the Sabbath and the bloodthirsty sabbath keepers would be looking for them. But that's when Christ appeared to them as a whole group.

Next, we go to Acts 20:7. Paul was giving a sermon that day and all the disciples (not the same ones in John 20, but Paul's disciples) gathered to hear him... Again, another event of timing. Paul was leaving the next day.

Finally, I go to 1 Cor 16:2. Paul told the Corinthians as well as the Galatians to gather an offering on the first day of the week. Unlike the first two reasons, this was not because of a special event. This was to be done every Sunday. This kind of goes back to the firstfruits thing I was talking about. Every Sunday, these Christian communities or "Churches" were to gather an offering. It wasn't to be done on Saturday.

I would love to know more of the History of this from a non-biblical point of view (I love history in general), but it seems to me that Paul believed in the firstfruits concept, and it may be that money was collected on the first day of the week. For whatever reason, however, Paul asked (I dare say, commanded) that they take up an offering on Sunday.

If that be so, since we are commanded to give an offering on Sunday, why not take the opportunity to worship?

That being said, I'm not such a legalist that I say it can't be done on "Wednesday" or "Saturday". But the spokesman, the ambassador and the servant of Christ originally did pick Sunday.

Furthermore, I have enough hell in my daily week. I like beginning it with Church!

Last point, and last for a reason... It is the least of my concerns. Most people have off work on Sunday. It's pretty nice that the Lord allows that choice. I'd attend Chuch if it was at 2 AM on Thursday! But thankfully, it's on my day off. Most other people have that day off too. God tells us to be givers. God's a giver too. He demands much, but he is also kind. Perhaps he gave us Sunday as a day to worship because he knew it'd be the day we can most conviently do it.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
I think I'll go to our worship service on Wednesday... just to be different
icon_twisted.gif
icon_twisted.gif
icon_twisted.gif

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just as long as you give your best on Wednesday....

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
I can't help but exude my best at all possible moments, either awake or asleep. Just like my humbleness. I'm a million times more humble than thou art. ;)

Reactions: WhiteKnuckle

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can't help but exude my best at all possible moments, either awake or asleep. Just like my humbleness. I'm a million times more humble than thou art. ;)
Reminds me of a Weird Al Yankovich song!

Reactions: biggandyy

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Cool... I'm going to party like it's 1699!

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

And may I ask, do you see no necessity to keep the other nine commandments?

If the NT principle is to meet every day, Can I ask if that is what you do and if not why not?

Why do most Christians celebrate on Sunday? Because Christ gave us something much better.....a new covenant, which is much better than the old and which fulfilled the Jewish Sabbath.

Does that mean the other nine commandments are not relevant?

This "six day" creation was linked to the Sabbath because the Sabbath has something to do with mankind's salvation.

Not once does the scripture imply keeping the Sabbath is crucial to our salvation.

Finally, the Sabbath of the Christians is not the same as the Jews. For Christians, they are no longer under the Old Covenant. They are now under the New Covenant. This New Covenant brought fourth a new Sabbath for Christians, which is Sunday.....the Lord's Day. It was on Sunday when Christ rose from the dead. It was on Sunday when Christ ascended to Heaven. It was Sunday when the Holy Spirit descended on the Apostles and His disciples, and it was on Sunday when the Apostles "broke bread" with each other. Sunday became known as the Lord's Day.....and Sunday was linked to a NEW CREATION. It was in Christ Jesus that Christians were made into a new creation and we became a new creature in Christ's death and resurrection.

This is all fanciful speculation that is not backed up by scripture.

Sunday fulfills the spiritual truth of the Jewish Sabbath and announces man's eternal rest in God.

Where does it say this in scripture?

As for the Sabbath, which is Saturday. It is in the Law, which we are not bound by it.

Does that mean we can ignore the other nine commandments?

Let's not leave it to a money thing. Sunday, most Churches have service in the morning.

From the evidence, this is a sacred cow that needs to be killed off as 90% of the population is not the least bit interested in Sunday morning ritual.

Finally, I go to 1 Cor 16:2. Paul told the Corinthians as well as the Galatians to gather an offering on the first day of the week. Unlike the first two reasons, this was not because of a special event. This was to be done every Sunday. This kind of goes back to the first fruits thing I was talking about. Every Sunday, these Christian communities or "Churches" were to gather an offering. It wasn't to be done on Saturday.

I think you will find that this is not correct. Paul told them to put something aside and store it up so that there would be no collection when he came to visit them.

Paul asked (I dare say, commanded) that they take up an offering on Sunday.

There is no such word in the Greek to imply a Sunday offering. Especially as the NT church was made up of Jews who remained Jews and they could not meet on a Sunday morning as it was a work day. Their day off was Saturday and they met Saturday morning in the temple and in their homes each day in the evening.

Actually it was Emperor Constantine who gave us Sunday. He made Christianity the state religion and to keep the sun worshipers happy and encourage them into the church, he changed the day of meeting to Sunday, when the sun worshipers met.