Scripture is not the last word.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True. The sufficiency of Scripture is a fundamental Bible truth.

But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. (Mt 4:4)

Where are the words which have proceeded out of the mouth of God? In the "Holy Scriptures" also called "the Word of God". Therefore we have this passage (2 Tim 3:15-17):

15 And that from a child thou hast known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

So this thread is another example of the apostasy that has crept into Christendom. The Catholics and Orthodox believed that "Holy Tradition" was equal to Scripture. The Gnostics added all kinds of fanciful ideas to their false Christianity. And the theological liberals refused to believe that the Bible was divinely inspired, therefore inerrant, therefore infallible, and therefore sufficient for the Christian. Today Mysticism is becoming fashionable among many Christians. But for the Lord Jesus Christ the Scriptures were totally authoritative because they were God-breathed (theopneustos).
I agree.

The Holy Spirit inspired people to write the Bible without saying this is not enough.

Bible plus Holy Spirit. Not the Holy Spirit alone.

Notice those that dismiss the Bible are in Cults.

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"ByGrace" said to Tabletalk:
Says you......who has obviously never heard the voice of the Lord out side of reading the bible.

How do you think I know it :rolleyes:...he said it to me:-
"This is why 'Scripture alone' is so important." etc
I read what he posted to me...obviously.

I was responding ...........to him.
I don't think it's obvious at all that he has never heard the voice of the Lord outside of reading the Bible.
We verify every statement by scripture and scripture alone. Not by voices in our heads.

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, look at them squirm with their daggers and their teeth all a'gnashing!
And why? Because the prophecies of Christ, and the presence of the Spirit are proclaimed.Their time draws short.
What an ugly post to "like".
Whose time is short? it is the devils time draws short - this is why the deceiving spirits are trying to work overtime. There's been no daggers or squirming by those who reject the false prophet, only properly rebuking and reproving with scripture as per the Bible instructs.
No discernment for some others-- pity.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only in these last days do we have heretics peddling a thread and falsity namely "Scripture is not the last word."

Some can't be having that so people like @Episkopos, @amadeus, @ScottA, @justbyfaith, @"ByGrace" and those who agree with them? They're the authority and they're "the last word." No wonder there is so much heresy and so many professing believers peddling their own message and errant gospels.

Scripture was certainly correct, they won't endure sound doctrine and go into the aforementioned's myths, fables and false visions, not being sober minded &c; 2 Timothy 4:1-5.
To me, the holy scripture is the last word...just so you know.

Your understanding of what is sound doctrine is verily off-base.

Jesus is the door by which we enter.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We verify every statement by scripture and scripture alone. Not by voices in our heads.
Generally those who heard voices in their heads -- like Son of Sam -- went on to commit various atrocities. Here is what Vinci Li (now Will Baker) did when he heard "the voice of God" in his head:

'Baker sat next to the Mr McLean on the Canadian Greyhound bus after the young man smiled at him and asked how he was doing.

Baker said he heard the voice of God telling him to kill the young carnival worker or "die immediately".

He repeatedly stabbed Mr McLean while the young man fought for his life.

As passengers fled the bus, Baker continued stabbing and mutilating the body before he was arrested.

He severed Mr McLean's head, displaying it to some of the passengers outside the bus, witnesses said.'

Canadian man who beheaded and cannibalised bus passenger granted freedom

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Generally those who heard voices in their heads -- like Son of Sam -- went on to commit various atrocities. Here is what Vinci Li (now Will Baker) did when he heard "the voice of God" in his head:

'Baker sat next to the Mr McLean on the Canadian Greyhound bus after the young man smiled at him and asked how he was doing.

Baker said he heard the voice of God telling him to kill the young carnival worker or "die immediately".

He repeatedly stabbed Mr McLean while the young man fought for his life.

As passengers fled the bus, Baker continued stabbing and mutilating the body before he was arrested.

He severed Mr McLean's head, displaying it to some of the passengers outside the bus, witnesses said.'

Canadian man who beheaded and cannibalised bus passenger granted freedom

This might be true of those who possess the holy spirit of mormonism, as defined by the first five chapters in the book of mormon (1 Nephi 1-5)...

But there is a voice of God that does not require mayhem....and He is the true Holy Spirit.

As God spoke to Samuel and Elijah in a still small voice...as well as very likely every other prophet who ever lived.

Last edited:

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Says you......who has obviously never heard the voice of the Lord out side of reading the bible.

I think that the Word of God (the Bible) is 'overkill' , so to speak.
It is way more than I need to worship the true God, but also not enough to worship or know Him adequately.
"Walk by faith, not by sight" is an important teaching in the Scriptures. I cling to that.
So, you are correct that I have 'obviously never heard the voice of the Lord out side of reading the bible."
I don't want to. Faith in the Son of God is enough.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that the Word of God (the Bible) is 'overkill' , so to speak.
It is way more than I need to worship the true God, but also not enough to worship or know Him adequately.
"Walk by faith, not by sight" is an important teaching in the Scriptures. I cling to that.
So, you are correct that I have 'obviously never heard the voice of the Lord out side of reading the bible."
I don't want to. Faith in the Son of God is enough.
Hearing God is not audible. It is spiritual.

Reactions: Preacher4Truth

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You never quote Scripture.
You not hearing His voice, does not equal me not quoting scripture. If means you don't know His voice when you hear it, unless it is presented as men present the teachings of men to other men. Even Christ did not do what you now consider a test. But it is not He who has failed, nor I, but you who now fail Him by your wicked practices, turning others away from the word in spirit.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You not hearing His voice, does not equal me not quoting scripture. If means you don't know His voice when you hear it, unless it is presented as men present the teachings of men to other men. Even Christ did not do what you now consider a test. But it is not He who has failed, nor I, but you who now fail Him by your wicked practices, turning others away from the word in spirit.

What ever you are hearing, it is not the Holy Spirit.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What an ugly post to "like".
Whose time is short? it is the devils time draws short - this is why the deceiving spirits are trying to work overtime. There's been no daggers or squirming by those who reject the false prophet, only properly rebuking and reproving with scripture as per the Bible instructs.
No discernment for some others-- pity.
This thread was started to point out that the scriptures prescribe a transition from the written word, to the word in spirit. Which has been done with quotes of the specific passages of scripture. But now you say that those very quotes of the scriptures are not even scripture, and team up with your fellows giving false witness of the same. Your rebuke has been against the very scriptures you use to speak against them. Such are the practices of the hypocrites, for which there are many scriptures and no need to quote them.

As such, you yourselves fulfill the prophecies of the false prophets speaking against the sound doctrine of the full word of God. As such, it is you yourselves who are now the very persons we were warned about, who pervert the word of God with their own teachings, adding and taking away, and putting up rules against the pure of heart who hear His voice without the stipulations that you yourselves impose.

And the proof of which is true and which is false, of who is actually against God and who is for Him, is now written here for all to see, ironically in quotations of your hatred. By the same measure that you have imposed, are you now judged and found guilty.

Last edited:
Reactions: stunnedbygrace

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This thread was started to point out that the scriptures prescribe a transition from the written word, to the word in spirit. Which has been done with quotes of the specific passages of scripture. But now you say that those very quotes of the scriptures are not even scripture, and team up with your fellows giving false witness of the same. Your rebuke has been against the very scriptures you use to speak against them. Such are the practices of the hypocrites, for which there are many scriptures and no need to quote them.

As such, you yourselves fulfill the prophecies of the false prophets speaking against the sound doctrine of the full word of God. As such, it is you yourselves who are now the very persons we were warned about, who pervert the word of God with their own teachings, adding and taking away, and putting up rules against the pure of heart who hear His voice without the stipulations that you yourselves impose.

And the proof of which is true and which is false, of who is actually against God and who is for Him, is now written here for all to see, ironically in quotations of your hatred. By the same measure that you have imposed, are you now judged and found guilty.
That is totally false claim.

God began with absolutely zero written words and progressed to giving us the Bible, the complete revelation of God in written form.

We study the written word under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

You wish to deny that reality and set yourself up as a prophet. A prophet that never posts a verse quote.

You make a lot of claims with absolutely zero proof in support.

You are not a prophet. You do not follow the Bible.

Reactions: tzcho2

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is totally false claim.

God began with absolutely zero written words and progressed to giving us the Bible, the complete revelation of God in written form.

We study the written word under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

You wish to deny that reality and set yourself up as a prophet. A prophet that never posts a verse quote.

You make a lot of claims with absolutely zero proof in support.

You are not a prophet. You do not follow the Bible.
Quotable.