Seeing Jesus Christ: Part 4: rising to New life

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All four of the gospels found in the Bible, tell us that Jesus began His public ministry after He was baptized. I’m not sure that you’ll find much in the Old Testament scripture that points to Jesus’ baptism, but there are certainly passages which help us to understand the meaning and purpose of baptism, and a reason that Jesus would have submitted to it to “fulfill all righteousness.” (See Matthew 3:15)

We should, however, consider that the Old Testament books of the Law and the books of the Prophets, were all written by Moses, who brought the law to Israel, and by men who lived under the covenant of law. We find scriptures in the Old Testament that tell of a herald or messenger that would go before the Lord, preparing the way, and the gospels tell us that this messenger was John, called the Baptist: The voice of one crying in the wilderness: "Prepare the way of the Lord; make straight in the desert a highway for our God. Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low; the crooked places shall be made straight, and the rough places smooth; the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together; for the mouth of the Lord has spoken.'' Isaiah 40:3-5

John was sent by God as a prophet to those also under the covenant of law, and in this sense, he was the last prophet under the covenant with the exception of Jesus Christ Himself, who being the “Word made flesh” is the absolute culmination or fulfillment of “the Prophet” foretold by Moses. The only sayings that we have from John are found in the New Testament scriptures, but it would be just as appropriate to put them in the Old Testament scriptures if we’d been given a written collection of them.

Many of John’s contemporaries recognized him as a prophet sent by God. The leadership of the Jews, whether they believed him or not, feared him enough to leave him alone. Some even came to be baptized by him:
Then Jerusalem, all Judea, and all the region around the Jordan went out to him and were baptized by him in the Jordan, confessing their sins. But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to his baptism, he said to them, "Brood of vipers! Who has warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Matthew 3:5-7

The gospel according to John tells us that John the Baptist heard the word of God and believed the word that was spoken to him and it was through the signs given, that God’s Son was revealed: "This is He of whom I said, `After me comes a Man who is preferred before me, for He was before me.' "I did not know Him; but that He should be revealed to Israel, therefore I came baptizing with water.'' And John bore witness, saying, "I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and He remained upon Him. "I did not know Him, but He who sent me to baptize with water said to me, `Upon whom you see the Spirit descending, and remaining on Him, this is He who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.' "And I have seen and testified that this is the Son of God.'' John 1:30-34

Jesus, being the sinless Son of God, had no need of repentance, but submitted to Baptism by John, in order to fulfill the word of God given to John, and to reveal Himself in this manner as God’s beloved Son. John gave testimony of this, but the more powerful testimony came from God, given in the visible descent of the Holy Spirit upon Jesus and the proclamation of the heavenly voice: And suddenly a voice came from heaven, saying, "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.'' Matthew 3:17

While others were baptized by John for repentance (or as a sign of it), Jesus’ Baptism allowed those who were baptized for repentance to identify with Him. We find the spiritual aspect of the believer’s baptism explained by the Apostle Paul in His letter to the church in Rome: What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it? Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection, knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin. For he who has died has been freed from sin. Romans 6:1-7

Those who were witness to the Baptism of Jesus, didn’t know that this Baptism was a sign to represent a more significant baptism to come, His death upon the cross and His resurrection in glory, but Jesus knew this and we see Him refer to it in the three synoptic gospels (Matthew, Mark, and Luke): "I came to send fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled! "But I have a baptism to be baptized with, and how distressed I am till it is accomplished! Luke 12:49-50, and: But Jesus said to them, "You do not know what you ask. Can you drink the cup that I drink, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?'' And they said to Him, "We can.'' And Jesus said to them, "You will indeed drink the cup that I drink, and with the baptism I am baptized with you will be baptized; Mark 10:38-39 (and the parallel passage in Matthew 20:22-23.)

So what exactly is Baptism intended to represent. In the case of Jesus, the water baptism that began His public ministry was representative of the death he would suffer and resurrection that would follow at the end of His public ministry (in the flesh.) Jesus spoke of His death and resurrection in terms of the “sign of Jonah” and as the only sign that He would give to those Pharisees, Scribes, and Sadducees that were rejecting Him: But He answered and said to them, "An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and no sign will be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. "For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. Matthew 12:39-40

If you haven’t read the book of Jonah, there are some things which I should explain. Jonah was an Israelite that God called to go to Nineveh for Him, to preach repentance to the inhabitants of that city, who were an exceedingly wicked people. As these people were an enemy of Israel, Jonah didn’t want to obey God, but instead attempted to get passage on a boat in the opposite direction. The book tells us that the boat got caught in a fierce storm and that the crew were all afraid and were all calling upon their gods to save them, but that Jonah was sleeping. So the captain of the boat woke Jonah up and told him to call upon his God as well.

The passage also tells us that the crew cast lots to see who had brought this trouble upon them and that the lot fell upon Jonah, (To cast lots was a kind of divination, tossing some objects such as carved bones, dice, sticks, or whatever, and reading their positions as signs given by the gods.)

The passage goes on to tell us that Jonah identified himself as an Israelite and that God had sent the storm because of him. When they asked what they should do to appease God, Jonah told them to throw him overboard. They were reluctant to do such a thing, but prayed to God not to hold them accountable for innocent blood and threw Jonah overboard, and the storm immediately ceased.

The passage also tells us that God had prepared a very large fish, having known what Jonah would do, and that this fish swallowed Jonah and three days later spit him out on the shore within walking distance of Nineveh.

Chapter 3 of the book of Jonah tells us that God called Jonah a second time to go to Nineveh and to preach repentance to them, and this time Jonah reluctantly obeyed the word of the Lord, saying that in 40 days Nineveh would be destroyed. The same chapter tells us that the Ninevites took Jonah’s message to heart: They repented of their evil deeds and God showed them mercy and didn’t bring the destruction upon them as Jonah had preached.

The last chapter of the book goes on to tell us that Jonah was displeased with God for sparing Nineveh, but God pointed out to him that the wickedness of the Ninevites was in part due to their not knowing better, showing that God is pleased to save people from the consequences of their own ignorance.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScottA

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s interesting that Jesus would use the example of Jonah as a sign of His own calling and identity, in that Jonah was rebellious against the word of God, while Jesus was faithful and gave no hint of being reluctant to give His own life for the sake of sinners. But the story of Jonah is one which illustrates something of the nature of those who are called by God through faith in Jesus Christ.

The first chapter of Jonah tells us that the word of the Lord came to Jonah with instructions to do something according to God’s will, and Jonah’s selfish response is to rebel and head in the wrong direction. This is a common response to the word of God.

We may have within us a desire to please God with our actions, yet our natural inclination is to please ourselves, so we frequently don’t do what God has said if it opposes what pleases us.

The Apostle Paul explains this in his letter to the church in Rome in terms of our fleshly nature being opposed to our spiritual nature (if we have been made alive spiritually through faith in Jesus Christ): For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin. Romans 7:18-25

This is by no means an easy passage to understand, but it refers to a fallen nature that we were born with being in opposition to a godly nature which we are given through faith in Jesus Christ when we are born again of the Holy Spirit of God. Jonah after being spit out upon the beach still didn’t want to preach repentance to the Ninevites and in this respect he was like our fallen nature according to our fleshly inheritance from Adam, which still resists the will of God, even when we have believed Him, yet he found power to obey through repentance.

While in the belly of the fish, for all intents and purposes dead to the world (and possibly genuinely physically dead as well) Jonah prayed to God for mercy and salvation: And he said: "I cried out to the Lord because of my affliction, and He answered me. "out of the belly of Sheol I cried, and You heard my voice. For You cast me into the deep, into the heart of the seas, and the floods surrounded me; all Your billows and Your waves passed over me. Then I said, `I have been cast out of Your sight; yet I will look again toward Your holy temple.' The waters encompassed me, even to my soul; the deep closed around me; weeds were wrapped around my head. I went down to the moorings of the mountains; the earth with its bars closed behind me forever; yet You have brought up my life from the pit, O Lord, my God. "When my soul fainted within me, I remembered the Lord; and my prayer went up to You, into Your holy temple. "Those who regard worthless idols forsake their own Mercy. But I will sacrifice to You with the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay what I have vowed. Salvation is of the Lord.'' Jonah 2:2-9

In this prayer we see Jonah confessing his lost nature, being cast out by God and dead to Him, being separated from Him, and then turning to Him and calling out for mercy and salvation based only upon the goodness of God and His willingness to save.

Jonah doesn’t commend himself in any way to God other than by his faith, not being one who regards “worthless idols,” and knows that He is “dead” because of his own actions.

This is exactly how we are saved through faith in Jesus Christ, confessing our spiritual condition as being dead to God because of sin, and trusting wholly on His promise to redeem us through the blood of Christ, not trusting in anything that we’ve done, but entirely upon what He has done for us.

Realizing what God has done for us allows us to love Him as we should and it is this love for God that empowers us to obey His word at those times when we would rather not. Jonah did not love the Ninevites after his deliverance from death, but he loved God enough to obey Him in spite of his own feelings toward Nineveh. It is a right relationship with God that allows us to have a right relationship with other people who are by their nature as nasty, repugnant, and evil as ourselves.

Before he was saved, Jonah was heading in the wrong direction, just as we are, but God put him in the situation where he was able to see his own sin, and God turned him around and set him in the right direction to do God’s will, even as He does this for us when He calls us to faith in Him.

Jesus was without sin, but when He was baptized, He put His old life behind Him, the life that He lived to His earthly parents, family, and to Himself. He laid down that life and picked up the cross. He knew where He was headed and He knew that He was bringing others along after Him, followers, disciples, who were also called to leave their old lives behind and take up their crosses.

The Apostle Paul talks about our baptism by the Holy Spirit in which we, by faith, are baptized into Christ’s death and resurrected to new life in Him. The water baptism, however, is a physical sign of that relationship to Christ, in which we publicly declare our identification with our Savior’s death, and commitment to new life in Him through the power of His resurrection.

There are other passages in the old testament referring to the Lord as a fountain of life and similar things which would justify the imagery of a sprinkling of water upon someone as representative of salvation, because this is indeed the work of God and not of man, but such an act doesn’t demonstrate our identification with the Lord in His death and in His resurrection.

At this point I’ll end my own contribution to this subject, but I hope to continue the study “Seeing Jesus Christ” with the wilderness temptation.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScottA

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was fully expecting that you were going to echo those misunderstandings of these past millennia and call for more of the same, and that I might have to tell you that you too were mistaken. But you are not. Praise God!

It is indeed true, baptism by water may foreshadow the cleansing power of Christ--but even that is by His blood--meaning death, and it is only His baptism by the Holy Spirit that is the power of God to save in the resurrection unto eternal life. This has been foretold since the beginning, referring to both the waters below and the waters above the firmament--the one being death, and the other life. Thus, we must be born of both.

Hallelujah!

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For I know that my Redeemer lives,
And He shall stand at last on the earth;
26 And after my skin is destroyed, this I know,
That in my flesh I shall see God,
27 Whom I shall see for myself,
And my eyes shall behold, and not another.
How my heart yearns within me!
Job 19:25-27

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Context of Jn 3:5 “born again”

John1:26 John answered them, saying, I baptize with water: but there standeth one among you, whom ye know not; (John prepared the way by baptism)

John 2:6 And there were set there six waterpots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins apiece. (Old covenant prefiguring of baptism, purification from sin)(His disciples believed because the ever Virgin mother of God interceded Jn 2:11)

John3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. (Baptism)

John 3:22 After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judaea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized. 23 And John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.(Baptism / water)

John 4:1 When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John.

Born again means Baptismal regeneration!

baptismal regeneration!
A new creation in Christ! 2 cor 5:17
Jn 1 JTB prepared the way by baptism!
Jn 2 the waters of purification are OT prefigurement of baptism!
Jn 3:5 born again means baptism
Jn 3:22 they immediately went to the river! Not to preach “accept Christ as personal lord and savior”
But to BAPTIZE!!!

God breathed life into Adam, gen 2:7 and we received this life from our fathers!

Christ breathed on the apostles our spiritual fathers, we receive the new covenant life of God’s grace from them thru faith & baptism! Jn 20:21-23 Mk 16:16 acts 8:36-38

Born again! Born from above!

'The Father has set his seal' on Christ (John 6:27) and also seals us in him (cf. 2 Corinthians 1:22; Ephesians 1:23, 4:30). Because this seal indicates the indelible effect of the anointing with the Holy Spirit in the sacrament of Baptism,

Baptism indeed is the seal of eternal life." 87 The faithful Christian who I has "kept the seal" until the end, remaining faithful to the demands of his Baptism, will be able to depart this life "marked with the sign of faith," 88 with his baptismal faith, in expectation of the blessed vision of God - the consummation of faith - and in the hope of resurrection.

St. Paul tells the faithful at Ephesus that they have been “sealed with the promised Holy Spirit.” This is in terms of an indelible character imprinted on the soul in the sacraments of baptism and confirmation. It is not as if this invisible mark is simply decorative. Rather, through it, we are enabled to participate in Christ’s mission and in his offices of priest, prophet, and king. Eph 1:13

Sealed by God eph 1:13 sealed by God (ez 36:25-27) in the ark of salvation by baptism just as Noah was sealed by God in the ark of the flood gen 7:16

1 Pet 3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us!
(Ark of Noah a type of the church, member of Christ and his church and salvation by baptism!)
(Outside the ark of Noah none were saved, outside the church (the ark of salvation) none are saved!)

Sealed in the ark, sealed in the church the ark of salvation by God thru baptism!