Self Knowledge

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think contemplation really helps me to not allow anxiety to dominate my life. When I am able to separate my thoughts, emtions and will from my true self, i can experience peace of mind, which lasts throught the day.

Could you explain more what you mean by this?

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Could you explain more what you mean by this?

Yes.

When Adam and Eve were in the Garden, the were naked, meaning that they were vulnerable and intimate with God. They were without ego or false self. When they decided to break this trust, the relationship between themselves and God changed and the relationship between themselves and their neighbor changed - they were still vulnerable, but it was no longer safe - God knitted them clothing out of animal skins - i believe the clothing is our false self - the opinions, thoughts, emotion we hide behind. It is needed to navigate a Fallen world, but it is also the part of us Jesus does not know.

During contemplation, you can be in a state separate from thought, feelings and opinion (which we mistake for will and sometimes our true self) and just be with God. This space is refreshing and renewing - God’s presence is healing and it really changes you.

Reactions: Mayflower

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Self knowledge precedes (not proceeds) love?
That is correct according to Scripture.

1. SELF KNOWLEDGE: For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. (Rom 7:18)

2. LOVE: Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins... We love him, because he first loved us. (1 John 4:10,19)

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like it, I thought I had finally come to know myself until the Holy Spirit began revealing things in my heart that I never saw or realized about myself. So now I am in a resting phase as He is doing a new work in me and I am convinced when He is done that I will know myself as I know Him, see myself as He sees me and I might actually be pleasantly surprised for a change...lol

p.s. I missed you guys too much had to come back....but really I got to keep it balanced....I was spending too much time here and not enough with Him and He let me know about it. :)

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like it, I thought I had finally come to know myself until the Holy Spirit began revealing things in my heart that I never saw or realized about myself. So now I am in a resting phase as He is doing a new work in me and I am convinced when He is done that I will know myself as I know Him, see myself as He sees me and I might actually be pleasantly surprised for a change...lol

p.s. I missed you guys too much had to come back....but really I got to keep it balanced....I was spending too much time here and not enough with Him and He let me know about it. :)

So glad you came back H2H! "I was spending too much time here and not enough with Him " <---He has been letting me know the same, yes-balance is good...Welcome back :)

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes.

When Adam and Eve were in the Garden, the were naked, meaning that they were vulnerable and intimate with God. They were without ego or false self. When they decided to break this trust, the relationship between themselves and God changed and the relationship between themselves and their neighbor changed - they were still vulnerable, but it was no longer safe - God knitted them clothing out of animal skins - i believe the clothing is our false self - the opinions, thoughts, emotion we hide behind. It is needed to navigate a Fallen world, but it is also the part of us Jesus does not know.

During contemplation, you can be in a state separate from thought, feelings and opinion (which we mistake for will and sometimes our true self) and just be with God. This space is refreshing and renewing - God’s presence is healing and it really changes you.

I looked up contemplation, because I was just thinking the definition "thinking." But it is really a deeper thought.

noun
  1. the action of looking thoughtfully at something for a long time.
The "long time" part can be hard. Like meditating on scripture. This is when we find who we truly are. Scripture is like a mirror. It is the only way to take our masks off.

Writing God's Word on the tablets of our heart though takes that contemplation.

It is why I started scripture memory again, because for me, it helps me meditate on it more rather then just reading it. It is hard to get head knowledge into the heart sometimes. But God works. :)

Reactions: aspen

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So glad you came back H2H! "I was spending too much time here and not enough with Him " <---He has been letting me know the same, yes-balance is good...Welcome back :)

Meeeeee too look y'all!!!!! 11pm is set!!!! Lol

Reactions: Heart2Soul

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I looked up contemplation, because I was just thinking the definition "thinking." But it is really a deeper thought.

noun
  1. the action of looking thoughtfully at something for a long time.
The "long time" part can be hard. Like meditating on scripture. This is when we find who we truly are. Scripture is like a mirror. It is the only way to take our masks off.

Writing God's Word on the tablets of our heart though takes that contemplation.

It is why I started scripture memory again, because for me, it helps me meditate on it more rather then just reading it. It is hard to get head knowledge into the heart sometimes. But God works. :)

Contemplation is actually going beyond thought and emotion

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wise post.

I am coming to believe that we are unable to know ourselves without other people. God made us interdependent.

The way it seems to be is that we can know our past self by truly reflecting on what and how we were, this can be quite reveling if one is truthful to them self! After which we can then realize, as I did and loath my past person. And yes I had others tell me, what is wrong with you! I soon realized that what I thought I was, compared to what a dozen other people thought, well it boils down to the odds, 12 against 1.
That was before I became a believer. How we walk, behave and interact with others today is only by the Grace of God and Savior, They are our example's!

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The way it seems to be is that we can know our past self by truly reflecting on what and how we were, this can be quite reveling if one is truthful to them self! After which we can then realize, as I did and loath my past person. And yes I had others tell me, what is wrong with you! I soon realized that what I thought I was, compared to what a dozen other people thought, well it boils down to the odds, 12 against 1.
That was before I became a believer. How we walk, behave and interact with others today is only by the Grace of God and Savior, They are our example's!

Indeed! Also, if we remember to bring our false self in line with our true self in already in union with God, we will be better at loving outwardly/doing God’s will

Last edited:
Reactions: Truth and Mayflower

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
So this I cannot understand ..how does someone 'know themselves'??
imo by denying themselves, and seems like self-knowledge would precede love to me, so maybe better if i don't get involved here lol
it more up @bbyrd009 's street.
ah, i don't entirely agree with the quote so i better not. If "knowledge must precede love, and only when she has attained love, can she strive to follow and to clothe herself with the truth," then by extension this knowledge must not be truth, right. Meaning little children love just fine without this knowledge i guess.

but i hesitate to say this bc imo the quote does have good intentions, just bad premises.

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
you must know yourself to deny yourself.
hmm, are you sure? i know that seems intuitive, but we are conflicted, and imo two diff "selves" are being portrayed there...if that makes any sense? i could not know my true self at all and still deny the self i do know, couldn't i? i'll have to reflect on you must deny yourself to know yourself more first i guess

really i should prolly catch up here first lol, might be reiterating now

Last edited:
Reactions: aspen and Helen