Self Knowledge

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hmm, are you sure? i know that seems intuitive, but we are conflicted, and imo two diff "selves" are being portrayed there...if that makes any sense? i could not know my true self at all and still deny the self i do know, couldn't i? i'll have to reflect on you must deny yourself to know yourself more first i guess

really i should prolly catch up here first lol, might be reiterating now
I think this post puts those two things into proper perspective and order of priority.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
ah, i don't entirely agree with the quote so i better not. If "knowledge must precede love, and only when she has attained love, can she strive to follow and to clothe herself with the truth," then by extension this knowledge must not be truth, right. Meaning little children love just fine without this knowledge i guess.

but i hesitate to say this bc imo the quote does have good intentions, just bad premises.

You could well be right here. Without Love flowing through us....can we 'see' anything as it really is? Including ourself.

I "think" that I know me...but I am probably lying..so there is doubt in it.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I "think" that I know me...but I am probably lying..so there is doubt in it.
yes; we construct a version of ourselves called "ego" that completely denies even our physical construction, and allows us to ignore and starve all the parts of our "selves" that we do not acknowledge as "us"--namely the up to 1500 different organisms in our guts that we must have in order to function properly--while also allowing us to ignore the parts of ourselves that are us, namely the cells that contain our DNA, all excluded by the illusion of ego, bc "i like this, it tastes good to "me," therefore i choose it to nourish me, regardless of what it might really be doing" and other similar devices. This can only culminate in seeking a "miracle" to address the reaping that must occur, and we even refer to Rx as "miracle drugs" etc, to use one example, and we even refer to surgeries that have been falsely indicated as the cure for self-inflicted ailments as "miracles" now, etc. And this is strictly from the perspective of physical health

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Self knowledge ? well the wife just came home and said she seen a idiot old mate of mine that lives down the road, she was at work and said to him, look what the cat just dragged in. he gets that one, all the time.
I went to the hair dresser the day before and she knows him as well and I just said about his wife had hurt herself and I had seen the damage now that it's fixed and I said that old mate had tore the skin right off his finger once and I could see the bones, she just rolled her eyes saying he is a idiot. I don't think she likes him some how.
Now he does know that he is a idiot because people tell him that all the time, but he does not care at all, so what can he do.
I put up with his crap only because I am a Christian but if I was not a Christian I would not of put up with all his rubbish.
People say why do you bother with him and others say don't bring him out riding with us anymore, he does stupid things dangerous and is rude to people if he thinks he is above or better than them.
I have known this atheist for 50 years and I know that he has mental problems, he burnt down his dads house when he was a kid and drove his dads new car at 15yo and rolled it and so on.
He abuses me for stupid things he did when we are out riding dirt bikes, Why do I put up with him, I stoped at a creek to ask him, if he could remember where the big rocks were, because it was running higher than normal and he thinking it's a race just goes straight in and hits one and comes off and goes under the water and starts yelling at me that's my fault, I never did the Baptism sign and then later on I said just keep behind me a fair way because there is too much dust and it's not a race out here and he comes up to close and I swerve to avoid a vine and he smacks directly into it destroying his fuel hose and that's all my fault as well. and what did I say before don't ride too close.
I mean what can I do.
I think why do I tolerate people, all the full on a holes that I have had to put up with all my life, now that I think about it, I must have the tolerance of a Saint. haha

Reactions: Willie T