Sheol vs Tartarus

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Harold

Nov 11, 2022
Canada
jesus-saves-all.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In Sheol, demons won’t be torturing people. It won’t be a physical torture. Since people are already dead, they have no physical body. But since the sins are still on them, they will feel guilty about all the wrong things they did. It’s like that feeling you get when you do something bad, regret, it’s like your heart is on fire metaphorically. Even the demons will feel this spiritual pain there (2 Peter 2:4). It’s the natural consequence of sin, death. They will repent (2 Peter 3:9), which means, recognize that they have sin, thus recognize their need for a saviour (Matthew 4:17) from sin thus believe in Christ and be saved. Jesus is waiting for everyone with open arms, it’s their choice when they want to free themselves from that mental torture and have faith in Him for forgiveness. All creatures henceforth will be freed from Sheol and will be washed of all their sins.

Luke 2:10 [The Gospel is] "good tidings of great joy to ALL people."

It’s like, someone locks themselves up because they have guilt for what they’ve done, but Jesus tells them to have faith in Him and be freed.

Revelation 1:18: "I [Jesus] have the keys of Death and Hades."

Christ has come to get rid of all the self-hatred we have towards ourselves, to eliminate all the lingering feelings of regret we have for our past mistakes. So we can be redeemed through His blood and move forward.

Isaiah 65:17 See, I will create new heavens and a new earth. The former things will not be remembered, nor will they come to mind.

Heaven will be so wonderful that everyone’s pain and suffering will not be remembered, there will be no more anguish, it’s temporary.

If a demon is indeed resting inside a person, then ultimately it will cause harm. Since LORD = Life. And anything that goes against life is painful.

(Reminds me of this English pun, how LIVE backwards is EVIL)

Luke 11:24 When an impure spirit comes out of a person, it goes through arid places seeking rest and does not find it. Then it says, ‘I will return to the house I left.’

The exact timing would depend, sometimes demons might be out of the house searching for another body. Other times they might cause active harm like Legion. (Luke 8:30).

If a person believes in Jesus Christ, then they are permanently saved. Because the Holy Spirit dwells inside them permanently. With the Holy Ghost there, there’s no room for demon.

Romans 5:5 And hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.

So the best way to get rid of demons inside of a person is to simply have them believe in Christ Jesus. A permanent way to keep all evil spirits out.

Luke 11:13 If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

No fancy magic exorcism tricks or convoluted work steps needed! Believe in Christ… and boom, done deal.

So, as soon as someone believes in Jesus, all demons are kicked out then and there by the Holy Spirit. So all people going to Heaven have the Holy Ghost and thus have no demons inside of them, as all sins are washed away.

If someone dies without believing in Christ yet, when that person dies, the demon can go to another host. Like how Legion fled to a herd of pigs.

Matthew 8:28-34 Now a herd of many pigs was feeding at some distance from them. And the demons begged him, saying, “If you cast us out, send us away into the herd of pigs.” And he said to them, “Go.” So they came out and went into the pigs, and behold, the whole herd rushed down the steep bank into the sea and drowned in the waters

It looks like here that the demons made the pigs, their host, commit suicide, by drowning themselves. So, the demons were able to switch hosts when they were kicked out by the Holy Spirit.

Eventually, they will be cast down into Tartarus.

2 Peter 2:4 For if God did not spare the angels having sinned, but having cast them down to Tartarus, in chains of gloomy darkness, delivered them, being kept for judgment;
ταρταρώσας (tartarōsas)
Verb - Aorist Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 5020: To thrust down to Tartarus or Gehenna
eternal = olam (Hebrew) = aionios (Greek) = pertaining to an age = temporary
You’re probably wondering… Tartarus? Where else does Tartarus appear in the Bible?
Well, here’s a handy list to show all the occurrences of “Tartarus”
One.
Yep, only one. That’s the only reference to Tartarus in the entire Bible.

So we can infer that this Tartarus location is a special location specifically for fallen angels. It can also be referred to as a pit, like the deepest part of the pit. “Pit” is related to Sheol, like Abaddon, the angel of the pit.

to Sheol,
לִשְׁא֑וֹל (liš·’ō·wl)
Preposition-l | Noun - common singular
Strong's 7585: Underworld

So Tartarus could be just a deeper part of Sheol, the “underworld” anything that goes down. And as people sin more and more, it’s like that idiom where, they’re digging themselves into a deeper and deeper hole, inflicting themselves with more temporary suffering. Fallen angels have been sinning for thousands of years, so they might have dug themselves a particularly deep hole. Eventually, all suffering will end though, as Christ will save all.

So, it seems that angels have relations between the heavens, Earth and Sheol. But eventually, they will end up in Tartarus, which is like their special version of human’s Sheol after-death, but ultimately, both Tartarus and Sheol, all areas of the pit, no matter how deep, will be emptied out by the light of the Lamb.

Reactions: Zachariah

Zachariah

Mar 20, 2023
Belief in government = belief in slavery.
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Its a common misconception in modern beliefs that Tartarus or the Underworld are related to Hell and fire. These beliefs are incorrect and confuse people in understanding the meanings and truth behind these realms.

When it comes to Tartarus and the Underworld you are spot on in association with the feelings of regret and remorse. We can even throw in shame and grief. These feelings are not however related to fire, they are in fact related to water. As we see throughout the bible Gods judgment is always symbolised with water. Noahs ark, baptism etc. Gods judgment is self condemnation, self conciouse and repentive. This area is also related to darkness. It is from darkness we come to the light, or through repentence we come to God. In most mythology one must traverse the underworld before he is allowed access to heaven and will undergo some form of judgment. Hell however we can assosiate feelings of anger and envy, these are your burning feelings.

I love how you reflect these things internally, this is Truth. Hope that helps in putting the pieces together.

Harold

Nov 11, 2022
Canada
jesus-saves-all.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
can.of.soup — Today at 1:41 AM “On the media I’ve been seeing so many more Christian related things (my phones been listening to me.. XD) and some of the comments have.. not been the nicest so to say. Part of me understand where they’re coming from because before I met you I was just like them, I was clouded with an offensive idea of what a Christian was, but man I don’t know how you do it. I think this may be a “I’m too sensitive” kinda thing but some of the stuff people have said would 100% make me cry if it was directed to me personally”

[There’s nothing wrong with being “Too sensitive”. Truly, I am a Highly Sensitive Person, HSP. We should not harden our hearts, but be sensitive to other people’s emotions. And I do cry based on what people say. But it’s with this sensitivity that I learned about Christian Universalism, the truth that everyone will have faith alone in Jesus Christ and be saved permanently.]
Therefore, here is my reply.
One of my trigger words is “hell”. I mean, that’s why I personally prefer to use the word Sheol, it’s less emotionally charged. But… wow like… talk about an inconvenient trigger word to have! As a Christian Universalist, I have to tell people the truth that “Hell” doesn’t appear in the Bible quite frequently. But, when I was young, I was so hurt by words that I would go back to my old Journal Entries and highlight them with black (I use dark mode now so that doesn’t work as well lol), or censor the middle with asterisk * That’s why I felt the need to warn you about the slur there. While it’s a useful article describing a negative example, it can be potentially dangerous, I know this since I have a sensitive mind too.

Even when it’s just digital words, it hurts. One times I was getting ganged up on online, and I could feel my heart beating heavily, my whole body shaking.

I think, because I’m such an emotional person, that I can relate to people’s feeling better. If I wasn’t sensitive, I’m not sure how I could have reached you my friend, for example.

Hebrews 3:8 Do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion, on the day of testing in the wilderness,

And the Lord tells us to soften our hearts, to be sensitive to pain. Sure, if someone’s heart was hardened, they’d feel less suffering, but… maybe it was my sensitivity to hell that brought me to this position, where I can show others that Christ saves all. If I was like other people, who mention hell and think nothing of it, I’m not sure if I would have found this great joy so early. I also feel sensitive to the pain that Jesus felt on the cross. Just the thought of being crucified absolutely terrifies me, yet God did it, and the Lord is the most kind person there is.

2 Timothy 2:3 Share in suffering as a good soldier of Christ Jesus. [it really is a spiritual battlefield in the world right now]

While I was preaching on Roblox Free Draw, another friend asked me months ago something similar of “man I don’t know how you do it”. All I do is write out Bible verses on there and answer Christianity questions in chat I have a… reputation there, to say the least… A lot of people there recognize me and call me… names, let’s say… I join a server and some instantly start mocking me directly. I’ve attached a few photos showing the more… nicer experiences…. I can’t show everything due to the use of hate symbols…

[attach photos at this point]
I’m naturally introverted, an INFJ, but I feel sometimes the Holy Spirit gives me another personality, like of an extrovert, so I can relate to more people. It’s exhausting, yet God upholds me.

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

The joy of getting rewards, which are these relationships, for the suffering I endured. [And people can still earn rewards, relationships, in Heaven, I guess I just like to get a head-start on the process…]. The net positive spreading the Victorious Gospel.

There are many many times in my life where I thought “This is the end, I am going to die”. Yet, the Lord upholds me. I like to think of my current life as a patient on life support. I could have died, multiple times in the past, yet the only reason I’m alive is because of God. Truly, He is my reason to live.

I could die, and go to Heaven already, be done with this suffering. But… the people who are still here on Earth, they too still suffer. I want to help them. If I’m dead, I can no longer type these posts. And also… I’m curious how the world will end. Like someone who wants to watch a movie until the end. Everyone will know the full story of course, as all will be saved. But this is a rare opportunity to be born right in front of the disaster, facing it. I’m starting to cry a bit, I can feel it in my eyes… I don’t know why? I want… I want to see, out of sheer curiosity, how this world is destroyed so that a new world can be created in it’s stead, free of sin.

Romans 8:22 For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now.

My mother also recognizes that the end of the world is coming soon. It’s only a matter of time before Vladmir Putin does something more… intense. So, my time to help people is limited. They say the average life expectancy is 60 years, some live double that, up to 120, but truly, I may die in a couple years. In all honestly, I really could have died many years ago, I tried different ways to kill myself, and yet the Lord upholds me. And now that… now that I want to live, to help people… then I realize that I don’t have that much time left… how… ironic……..

Isaiah 45:7 I form light and create darkness; I make well-being and create calamity; I am the Lord, who does all these things. [The Lord created Satan as good, yet knew he would turn out evil, yet still chose to create him due to the net positive of all our happiness in Heaven coming afterwards].

For me, helping God is a way of extending my life. Also… just realized, hope I’m not putting a… damper on the mood, is that the right way to say it? I know you are a person who has recently been saved by Christ, and that’s reason to celebrate! To be joyful and full of happiness! It’s just… I feel venting about my troubles helps me relax. Then again, it is related to your question, so it’s an excuse for me to talk about this stuff.

Zachariah

Mar 20, 2023
Belief in government = belief in slavery.
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well if I could sum it all up in a nut shell it seems that you are hell frightened of death. Weather it is subconscious or you realise it consciously. To me your symptoms suggest you have a right side brain imbalance. When you have this imbalance the right side of your neocortex dominates, which is the side that controls your limbic system. The limbic system is your emotional brain and explains why you become overwhelmed with emotions to the extent that they take controle. When in this type of brain imbalance, because your right side is dominant, the left side becomes suppressed which is the side that controls your brain stem or also know as your reptilian brain. The reptilian brain serves as "fight or flight" and is a response system that's main goal is to stay alive. This would suggest that in a violent situation you would be more likely to just freeze up since its not running correctly. Its also clear with your suicide attemps that your reptilian brain is in active because its job is to keep you alive. Most people are in a state of brain imbalance weather it be the left side or the right. When somone is in a left side imbalance their limbic system (emotions) get suppressed and the reptilian brain dominates. This is your typical narcesist or psychopath in extreme cases as they struggle to feel empathy if at all.

Both types of brain imbalance are as bad as each other and like I said before most people are in one or the other. I'm talking like 80% of the population. Maybe not to extreme degrees but not many people are what you would say balanced. Its all about balance. To achieve balance takes hard work. Realistically it is the Truth that will create balance and i don't mean truth as in some mystical jesus truth, I mean real truth we aquire through knowlage and awareness. Reading this has given you some truth about what's going on and will contribute to re balancing your brain, if you choose to accept it. People are told that the truth will set you free but have the wrong idea of what it is. The Truth is belligerent and can be offensive because its at war with deception and lies. Alot of the time Truth is offensive to us, and alot of the time people choose not to accept it.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Sheol, demons won’t be torturing people. It won’t be a physical torture. Since people are already dead, they have no physical body. But since the sins are still on them, they will feel guilty about all the wrong things they did. It’s like that feeling you get when you do something bad, regret, it’s like your heart is on fire metaphorically. Even the demons will feel this spiritual pain there (2 Peter 2:4). It’s the natural consequence of sin, death. They will repent (2 Peter 3:9), which means, recognize that they have sin, thus recognize their need for a saviour (Matthew 4:17) from sin thus believe in Christ and be saved. Jesus is waiting for everyone with open arms, it’s their choice when they want to free themselves from that mental torture and have faith in Him for forgiveness. All creatures henceforth will be freed from Sheol and will be washed of all their sins.

It’s like, someone locks themselves up because they have guilt for what they’ve done, but Jesus tells them to have faith in Him and be freed.

Christ has come to get rid of all the self-hatred we have towards ourselves, to eliminate all the lingering feelings of regret we have for our past mistakes. So we can be redeemed through His blood and move forward.

Isaiah 65:17 See, I will create new heavens and a new earth. The former things will not be remembered, nor will they come to mind.

Heaven will be so wonderful that everyone’s pain and suffering will not be remembered, there will be no more anguish, it’s temporary.

If a demon is indeed resting inside a person, then ultimately it will cause harm. Since LORD = Life. And anything that goes against life is painful.

Luke 11:24 When an impure spirit comes out of a person, it goes through arid places seeking rest and does not find it. Then it says, ‘I will return to the house I left.’

The exact timing would depend, sometimes demons might be out of the house searching for another body. Other times they might cause active harm like Legion. (Luke 8:30).

If a person believes in Jesus Christ, then they are permanently saved. Because the Holy Spirit dwells inside them permanently. With the Holy Ghost there, there’s no room for demon.

Romans 5:5 And hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.

So the best way to get rid of demons inside of a person is to simply have them believe in Christ Jesus. A permanent way to keep all evil spirits out.

Luke 11:13 If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

No fancy magic exorcism tricks or convoluted work steps needed! Believe in Christ… and boom, done deal.

So, as soon as someone believes in Jesus, all demons are kicked out then and there by the Holy Spirit. So all people going to Heaven have the Holy Ghost and thus have no demons inside of them, as all sins are washed away.

If someone dies without believing in Christ yet, when that person dies, the demon can go to another host. Like how Legion fled to a herd of pigs.

Matthew 8:28-34 Now a herd of many pigs was feeding at some distance from them. And the demons begged him, saying, “If you cast us out, send us away into the herd of pigs.” And he said to them, “Go.” So they came out and went into the pigs, and behold, the whole herd rushed down the steep bank into the sea and drowned in the waters

It looks like here that the demons made the pigs, their host, commit suicide, by drowning themselves. So, the demons were able to switch hosts when they were kicked out by the Holy Spirit.

2 Peter 2:4 For if God did not spare the angels having sinned, but having cast them down to Tartarus, in chains of gloomy darkness, delivered them, being kept for judgment;
ταρταρώσας (tartarōsas)
You’re probably wondering… Tartarus? Where else does Tartarus appear in the Bible?
One.

So we can infer that this Tartarus location is a special location specifically for fallen angels. It can also be referred to as a pit, like the deepest part of the pit. “Pit” is related to Sheol, like Abaddon, the angel of the pit.

to Sheol,
לִשְׁא֑וֹל (liš·’ō·wl)

So Tartarus could be just a deeper part of Sheol, the “underworld” anything that goes down. And as people sin more and more, it’s like that idiom where, they’re digging themselves into a deeper and deeper hole, inflicting themselves with more temporary suffering. Fallen angels have been sinning for thousands of years, so they might have dug themselves a particularly deep hole. Eventually, all suffering will end though, as Christ will save all.

So, it seems that angels have relations between the heavens, Earth and Sheol. But eventually, they will end up in Tartarus, which is like their special version of human’s Sheol after-death, but ultimately, both Tartarus and Sheol, all areas of the pit, no matter how deep, will be emptied out by the light of the Lamb.
Universalism is a fallacy!
It sounds nice but according to the Bible, it is just not true.
Abraham in Luke 16:19-31, states there is a separation, a gulf (chasm) between those who are saved and those who are not and there is no hope for them other than their destruction. That btw, is NOT a parable. Real names of real people are never used in parables, nor did Jesus fictitiously make up an abstract location(Hades). It's real and so is the story of the Rich man.
Jesus cursed the Pharisees to the Gehenna (an earthly representation of the afterlife in Hades and the Lake of Fire).
"You brood of vipers, how will you escape the sentence of Hell?"
In 2 Peter 2:4-6, God "did not spare the ancient world ... He condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah to destruction".
Guide rescues the godly from temptation, not the reprobates. Romans 1 tells us He "let's them go" to their demise.

In Matthew11:23, Jesus denounces Capernaum - " you will go down to the depths".
In Ezekiel 26:20-21, Tyre is mentioned: " ...I will bring you down with thise who go down to the Pit, to the people of old, and I will make you dwell in the lower parts of the earth, like the ancient waste places, with those who go down to the Pit ... I will bring terrors on you and you will be no more, though you will be sought, you will never be found again, de lares tue LORD GOD."

Prophesies of the Great Tribulation in Isaiah 24:17-22 state that inhabitants _ on earth _ will fall into fissures formed by the splitting open of the earth and apparent volcanic eruptions:
"Terror and pit and snare confront you, O inhabitants of the earth.
Then it will be that he who flees the report of disaster will fall into the pit,
And he who climbs out of the pit will be caught in a snare; ...
The foundations of the earth shake.
The earth is broken usunder,
The earth is split through, ..."

" May burning coals fall on them;
May they be cast into the fire,
Into deep pits from which they cannot rise."
Psalm 140:10

Revelation 9:1-2
states that an angel with the key to the Bottomless Pit opens it and smoke arises out of the earth, "like the smoke of a great furnace" (volcano). This is what darkens the skies, blocks out the sunlight and moonlight in that area of Israel.
Matthew 25:46 seals the deal. You are either in Christ (a believer) or not. Once you die your fate is fixed.
" that whoever believes on Him should not perish but have eternal life." JOHN 3:15
"... unless you repent you will all likewise perish." Luke 13:3
We have this life to repent, once we die, there is no second chance, you have already been judged and your state is fixed. You are perishing and awaiting destruction.
"Every tree that does not bear fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire." Matthew 7:19
"... fear Him whobis able to destroy both soul and body in Hell (Lake of Fire). Matthew 10:28

"In flaming fire, giving vengeance to those not knowing God, and to those not obeying the good news of our Lord Jesus Christ; who shall suffer justice - everlasting (more accurately age during or age lasting) destruction, ..." 2 Thes. 1:8-9
" The last enemy that shall be destroyed is DEATH."
1 Cor. 15:26
Destroy means to put an end to, annihilate. And you can't have an indestructible destruction or imperishable perishing, that is contradictory. Therefore, no eternal Hell, it will come to an end in a fervent heat described in 2 Peter 3:10. ALL former things WILL PASS AWAY - NO LONGER EXiST, including the first heavens, first earth, Hades and all who are in it, Death, Satan and his demons. The New Eternal Heaven and Earth will come filled with those "in Christ", who believed while they lived on earth.

Last edited:

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter used the term Tartarus from Greek mythology. Emphasizing a place lower than Hell for some people. There isn't a place called Tartarus. It is like saying "he deserves going to the pits of Hell".

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There really is no vs.

Everyone was encompassed in sheol. Paradise, and those who were separated from those in paradise, and those further away held in prisons was even further away.

They were all separated from God, but also separated from each other, though you have the Parable of Rich man and Lazarus to explore for yourself.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

ταρταρώσας (tartarōsas)
One.

to Sheol,
לִשְׁא֑וֹל (liš·’ō·wl)

Sheol is only a temporary holding pen. Before Jesus ascended, it was divided into three compartments.

1 Abrahams Bosom where the saved dead went prior to Jesus shedding HIs blood and ascending.

2. The place of torments where lost humans went, like the rich man in the account of Lazarus.

3. Tartarus- where the angels who left thewir first habitation in Gen. 6 are chained awaiting the Lake of Fire.