Should Christians celebrate Christmas, Halloween?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not celebrate Christmas, Halloween, Easter, Lent, Passover, Feast of Tabernacles, Mid-Autumn Festival, Chinese New Year, etc. I don't even celebrate my birthday. I didn't attend my Bachelor's, Master's, or PhD convocations. Basically, I do not celebrate much but I am happy that others do :)

Romans 14:

Colossians 3:

I think it is okay for Christians to celebrate Halloween, Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement), and Rosh Hashanah (Feast of Trumpets). It is up to each one of us to decide guided by our conscience before God. I would not be a party pooper :)
I am not aware of any commandment that is being broken by celebrating Christmas. I wouldn't call Halloween a celebration, but I enjoyed Halloween as a kid. One doesn't want to feed their kids too much candy, though.

Reactions: thelord's_pearl

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
cake walks, birthday parties, and dressing harmlessly for a costume party are not a problem. In fact, it can be fun in Christian church settings and homes. Christmas parties are good for family get togethers every year. All I've listed are secular, just like Thanksgiving. However, Christians are to put Christ first in these types of get togethers.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
cake walks, birthday parties, and dressing harmlessly for a costume party are not a problem.

2 Corinthians 6:17
Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

James 4:4
know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That article was deceiving and I wish I could have responded to the ignorance. Christians were celebrating Christ birth in the first century. There is evidence a that anyone with typing skills could find. Church leaders documented this by the 2nd century because so many were doing it from the 1st century. Here is evidence:

Theophilus Bishop of Caesarea (115-181)wrote: "We ought to celebrate the birthday of our Lord on what day so ever the 25th of December shall happen." (Magdeburgenses, Cent. 2. c. 6. Hospinian, de orign Festorum Chirstianorum)

Hippolytus (ca. 165 – 235 C.E.), in his commentary on Daniel 4:23 wrote: “The first coming of our Lord, that is in the flesh, in which he was born at Bethlehem, took place eight days before the Kalends of January …”
Eight days before the calends of January is December 25.

Theophilus of Antioch (ca. 171 – 183 C.E.), in his discussion about the proper time to observe Easter state that the Gauls contended that just as they celebrated the birth of the Lord on December 25, regardless of what day of the week that fell on, so too Christians ought to celebrate Easter on March 25, regardless of what day of the week that fell on.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Corinthians 6:17
Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

James 4:4
know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.
All born again from above Christians are not of this world. But they have family. Tell your family you can't attend your parents birthdays or your Grandpa's birthday party. Go ahead and disappoint your birth parents. Tell your kids, sorry, no presents, Dad does believe you should.

I guess you don't work a job then, because you have to step into the world to make a living. When you buy food; you have to step into the world system to buy.

We are in the world, but not part of the world.

Sep 27, 2021
Norco
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am sure those little kids knocking at my door for a candy are demon possessed, and are full of evil thoughts... lol.
Why is it "cute" when a kid wears a mask and threatens a trick on you if you don't give them a treat but it's a crime when an adult showed up one night in a mask demanding your stuff and threating harm if you don't give it to them? - Teach you're children Godly virtues, not playing a criminal.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christians should celebrate Christmas.

They should put up a Christmas tree, and put lights on it.
Why?
Because Jesus died on "the tree", and He is the Light of the World.

Figure that one out, reader...

Also, what you should do... is, on Christmas day.....have a Birthday cake ready, and have all your friends and family sing "Happy Birthday" "to Jesus".

See, in this way, you are celebrating God's Son.

Then, eat the Birthday cake, and open your gifts and enjoy sweet fellowship with your family and friends.

= "Merry Christmas".
I don't think you will change the mind of any Anti here.

They insist paganism is in all things celebrated in today's Christian calendar. So many no-no's. However, our calendar is days and "months" are originate there.

Jesus overcame the world. Unfortunately, those that insist paganism is endemic don't seem to know that.

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Why is it "cute" when a kid wears a mask and threatens a trick on you if you don't give them a treat but it's a crime when an adult showed up one night in a mask demanding your stuff and threating harm if you don't give it to them? - Teach you're children Godly virtues, not playing a criminal.
I prefer a little cute girl knocking on my door asking for a candy instead of you knocking on my door stuffing the watchtower in my face.

• Haha
Reactions: TonyChanYT

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I don't think you will change the mind of any Anti here.

They insist paganism is in all things celebrated in today's Christian calendar. So many no-no's. However, our calendar is days and "months" are originate there.

Jesus overcame the world. Unfortunately, those that insist paganism is endemic don't seem to know that.

Yes i understand.

Its silly., how some get so carried away with holidays..

Dont tell them, but when im in the States, and its "Halloween", i have been known to give candy to children who come and say "Trick or Treat".

I love to see them dressed up in their little costumes.

Where i would draw the line is letting them read books on witchcraft, or watching TV shows and movies that are glorifying witchcraft, or having friends who are "into all that stuff".
And of course, No "Harry Potter".. books or movies, or similar.

Last edited:

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes i understand.

Its silly., how some get so carried away with holidays..

Dont tell them, but when im in the States, and its "Halloween", i have been known to give candy to children who come and say "Trick or Treat".

I love to see them dressed up in their little costumes.

Where i would draw the line is letting them read books on witchcraft, or watching TV shows and movies that are glorifying witchcraft, or having friends who are "into all that stuff".
And of course, No "Harry Potter".. books or movies, or similar.
I see this Anti effort as just another part in the asceticism push. No joy in worship.

No singing in church,no applause,no dancing,no music. And outside of church no celebrations. Just strict adherence and obedience for fear of losing salvation.

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
O`nowhere you have to know
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I used to like Halloween when I was a lot younger only because I can dress up in a costume I like and not that I liked those really gross costumes so I never liked it completely and am actually against celebrating it now since I feel it is Satanic and not of God.

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That article was deceiving and I wish I could have responded to the ignorance. Christians were celebrating Christ birth in the first century. There is evidence a that anyone with typing skills could find. Church leaders documented this by the 2nd century because so many were doing it from the 1st century. Here is evidence:

Theophilus Bishop of Caesarea (115-181)wrote: "We ought to celebrate the birthday of our Lord on what day so ever the 25th of December shall happen." (Magdeburgenses, Cent. 2. c. 6. Hospinian, de orign Festorum Chirstianorum)

Hippolytus (ca. 165 – 235 C.E.), in his commentary on Daniel 4:23 wrote: “The first coming of our Lord, that is in the flesh, in which he was born at Bethlehem, took place eight days before the Kalends of January …”
Eight days before the calends of January is December 25.

Theophilus of Antioch (ca. 171 – 183 C.E.), in his discussion about the proper time to observe Easter state that the Gauls contended that just as they celebrated the birth of the Lord on December 25, regardless of what day of the week that fell on, so too Christians ought to celebrate Easter on March 25, regardless of what day of the week that fell on.
What kept you from responding?