Should Christians play video games?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also, Romans 14 is clear about Christian liberty.

True.

But Paul also said:

“For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence. It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak”.

The principle being, if something you partake in offends a brother, though it’s lawful, abstain from it for the weak brother’s sake.

Seeing someone playing a video game would not offend me, But another brother might be.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
True.

But Paul also said:

“For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence. It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak”.

The principle being, if something you partake in offends a brother, though it’s lawful, abstain from it for the weak brother’s sake.

Seeing someone playing a video game would not offend me, But another brother might be.
@Michiah-Imla Would the issue be visibility?

Mike12

Oct 28, 2020
Madison
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes Christians can play simulations, and you can only play; Medieval Total War 2. Crusader Kings 2. Bioshock Infinite (Southern Presbyterian chaos theory) (Stonewall Jackson/Lady Comstock romance at the police station. ) Horace Underwood and Stonewall Jackson in a video game. Civilization 5 is way out there...
Europa Universalis 4 Oliver Cromwell Start got Reformed America on your side.
I'll tell you whats not Christian about it is they're just names to start hitting each other. I'm an Orthodox! Ya!... So play the Byzantines , go to cheat console, religion iconoclast, cheat trigger event 210.LoR mend the schism, dont establish a iconoclast pentarchy. settle rhode island. Ya, looks good to me, anyway.
90's games used to be about giving quarters to the homeless or you regret it. Anyone remember that? Oh I forgot the homeless man on level 2.
Mabinogi pick up the Sister's eggs, get married. Welsh fairytales, its more Korean than Jejoongwon... I've discovered a french name for the place, Corea. Good idea..
And I mean, I think you got that backwards in reverence and public performance... People that make you eat meat, you don't want that, that'd be a problem, tripping you on the way.
You know, I wonder why when usually you can attack heresies in your religion group on Crusaders King 2, a waldensian/catholic/fratecelli/lollard/cathar hate each other no problem but an Iconoclast can't attack Orthodox lands? Paulicians or monosyphites/miasyphites/coptics that's fine. But you know Iconoclast is the belief I don't have to worship the idols, you come in and pray at the mother mary, rub a saints belly something like that, probably, and all the images its really God, you have to venerate God, you can see the Lord there and it is God and you venerate it.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you guys were aware of how childish and how opposed to the Gospel principle these activities are your shame would cause you to to repent in dust and ashes but seeing you are unaware and from my perspective choose this unawareness deliberately, the implications are not seen and the path of blindness which enshrouds you remains.

Hi Q.T.,
Most of these violent games today to me are just a form of conditioning one into desensitization. Satan is real good at that, and he shows you how very fun and addictive these games can be! They are so addicting that some will spend hour after hour playing, and when they get up in the morning...right to the game, every time, not to God but...to a game. So, what and who is being put first here?? ... and they will play as much as they can throughout the day as well as at work, I know, some of my nieces and nephews don't even acknowledge another person walking into a room as they are glued to their game! And, I get a bit of it with one of my nieces who just came to stay with me in the Spring. She is not as bad as some of the others as, she is a gabber, lol.
Anyhow, IMHO games themselves, even though glorify death...as does Halloween, are permitted in Gods eyes but...who gets more attention, your games or God? :)

rjs330

Aug 3, 2020
Belgrade
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think we all should admit that we ALL are not giving God the attention he deserves. We all eat, drink and play. We may not drink alcohol, but that's not the point. I doubt that any of us here spend every moment of the day in prayer and focusing on God and his word. I know I don't.

I wonder if those who would seem to scold those for playing games are operating under some sense of pride. Simply riding a motorcycle for pleasure is playing a game. It's personal enjoyment.

I don't believe video games or anything we do as leisure is sinful in and if itself. I believe the type of game and what you do in the game could be. As a personal example I avoid games that have graphic nudity or sexual encounters. I also avoid games or situations in games where I would commit murder or the whole goal is to steal things.

Mike12

Oct 28, 2020
Madison
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think we all should admit that we ALL are not giving God the attention he deserves. We all eat, drink and play. We may not drink alcohol, but that's not the point. I doubt that any of us here spend every moment of the day in prayer and focusing on God and his word. I know I don't.

I wonder if those who would seem to scold those for playing games are operating under some sense of pride. Simply riding a motorcycle for pleasure is playing a game. It's personal enjoyment.

I don't believe video games or anything we do as leisure is sinful in and if itself. I believe the type of game and what you do in the game could be. As a personal example I avoid games that have graphic nudity or sexual encounters. I also avoid games or situations in games where I would commit murder or the whole goal is to steal things.
This is the first classic example of a troll or bot I've ever seen. Internet people get confused. Please take note. He starts out not clarifying or providing any information even about himself, even in a description of himself semantic and subjective which appears false. It will make responses that crash threads. He has the logo of Skyrim. You're in a fantasy world of dragons and 9 deities that defeat dragons. You murder , drink alcohol, and steal.
The first one was Doom, with internet connection and other people, and school shooters had played Doom. I'd get used to it.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi Q.T.,
Most of these violent games today to me are just a form of conditioning one into desensitization. Satan is real good at that, and he shows you how very fun and addictive these games can be! They are so addicting that some will spend hour after hour playing, and when they get up in the morning...right to the game, every time, not to God but...to a game. So, what and who is being put first here?? ... and they will play as much as they can throughout the day as well as at work, I know, some of my nieces and nephews don't even acknowledge another person walking into a room as they are glued to their game! And, I get a bit of it with one of my nieces who just came to stay with me in the Spring. She is not as bad as some of the others as, she is a gabber, lol.
Anyhow, IMHO games themselves, even though glorify death...as does Halloween, are permitted in Gods eyes but...who gets more attention, your games or God? :)
The great danger Nancy, in 'christian' circles is to take the tender touch of God and give it a clinical anatomical explanation. One can do the same with sin in an attempt to neutralise its heinous character resulting as you said in desensitisation.
It results in the inability to hear the still small voice aka the Spirit of God and to live in a personal world of self justification.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The great danger Nancy, in 'christian' circles is to take the tender touch of God and give it a clinical anatomical explanation. One can do the same with sin in an attempt to neutralise its heinous character resulting as you said in desensitisation.
It results in the inability to hear the still small voice aka the Spirit of God and to live in a personal world of self justification.

Amen,
It is hard enough to hear His still small voice with the evil one always screaming in our ears, the world coming at us like a freight train...there is distraction after distraction that will prevent us from truly hearing AND seeking Him above all else.
Yeah, it sure does lead to self justification, so those who do this (self justification) are in essence hardening their own hearts and causing their selves to become deaf of His words. Believing a lie...

rjs330

Aug 3, 2020
Belgrade
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is the first classic example of a troll or bot I've ever seen. Internet people get confused. Please take note. He starts out not clarifying or providing any information even about himself, even in a description of himself semantic and subjective which appears false. It will make responses that crash threads. He has the logo of Skyrim. You're in a fantasy world of dragons and 9 deities that defeat dragons. You murder , drink alcohol, and steal.
The first one was Doom, with internet connection and other people, and school shooters had played Doom. I'd get used to it.

A troll? Hahahahahahaha! That's just too funny.
Yes I play skyrim. And yes you can steal and become an assassin and commit murder. You can also join the thieves guild to become a third. However, I have chosen, after reflection, not to do that. Yes I kill dragons, fight wolves and kill bandits and those that are evil in defending the people of Skyrim.

I suppose you are one of those that thinks Lord of the Rings is evil. Or maybe Star Wars too.

You are judging others for doing things that are not sinful. I suppose police officers are wicked to when they kill in defense of others. Or maybe soldiers who kill in their line of work.

You know Jesus never told soldiers to quit thier jobs right? He told them to be satisfied with their pay. And Paul told us government people were there to put fear into the evil doer.

I started to play a game called the Witcher. I didn't know that there was nudity And sexual encounters in it. I chose to stop and removed the game from my console.

I played batman too. I suppose in your mind that's a horrible thing to play.

You are being very judgemental over things that are not listed as sinful. Shame on you.

Reactions: Nancy

Mike12

Oct 28, 2020
Madison
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A troll? Hahahahahahaha! That's just too funny.
Yes I play skyrim. And yes you can steal and become an assassin and commit murder. You can also join the thieves guild to become a third. However, I have chosen, after reflection, not to do that. Yes I kill dragons, fight wolves and kill bandits and those that are evil in defending the people of Skyrim.

I suppose you are one of those that thinks Lord of the Rings is evil. Or maybe Star Wars too.

You are judging others for doing things that are not sinful. I suppose police officers are wicked to when they kill in defense of others. Or maybe soldiers who kill in their line of work.

You know Jesus never told soldiers to quit thier jobs right? He told them to be satisfied with their pay. And Paul told us government people were there to put fear into the evil doer.

I started to play a game called the Witcher. I didn't know that there was nudity And sexual encounters in it. I chose to stop and removed the game from my console.

I played batman too. I suppose in your mind that's a horrible thing to play.

You are being very judgemental over things that are not listed as sinful. Shame on you.
You play video games. Check what I wrote earlier today. Rediscover Greco-Roman privilege against Paganry of Calvinist/Reformed/Presbyterian through Pictures
You do those things to produce mental feelings of a higher edifice of self-actualization. What do you do in your identification in world responsibility of a Christian? What do you think of the United States of America restating the "abiding" faith of our "fathers", says Eisenhower, when PC in USA became united PC in USA, or now PCUSA. That's not the 'faith abiding'. That's not your responsibility to the Christian Church. That's not you called into action. Never could be. What Confusion shouldn't I have suffered my whole life that the motto of the United States is "In God We Trust". It appears used by the Puritans of an English Civil War, "In God We Trust". Now, accomodating to Americans defend Muslim Mosques, and world religion against communism, while Oliver Cromwell said he'd prefer that Mohammadan ?

rjs330

Aug 3, 2020
Belgrade
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You play video games. Check what I wrote earlier today. Rediscover Greco-Roman privilege against Paganry of Calvinist/Reformed/Presbyterian through Pictures
You do those things to produce mental feelings of a higher edifice of self-actualization. What do you do in your identification in world responsibility of a Christian? What do you think of the United States of America restating the "abiding" faith of our "fathers", says Eisenhower, when PC in USA became united PC in USA, or now PCUSA. That's not the 'faith abiding'. That's not your responsibility to the Christian Church. That's not you called into action. Never could be. What Confusion shouldn't I have suffered my whole life that the motto of the United States is "In God We Trust". It appears used by the Puritans of an English Civil War, "In God We Trust". Now, accomodating to Americans defend Muslim Mosques, and world religion against communism, while Oliver Cromwell said he'd prefer that Mohammadan ?

Everything we do on a level of competition is that way. Playing chess, playing simulations, playing monopoly or checkers, parcheesi is self edifying. Playing sports is self edifying. Watching sports is the same when your team wins.

It's just silly to somehow be judgemental over such things.

My responsibility as a believer is to represent Christ to others. Love people, be kind and forgiving. Share the gospel. I should pray and read the Bible and try to live a life that is pleasing to God and not be bound by sinful habits. If the Word if God says something is sin then I should stay away from it.

But we all sin. None are sinless or perfect. And it's not your place or mine to tell someone they are committing sin UNLESS it is something the scripture tells us is sinful. Such as stealing or committing adultery.

I'll check out what you wrote.

Mike12

Oct 28, 2020
Madison
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everything we do on a level of competition is that way. Playing chess, playing simulations, playing monopoly or checkers, parcheesi is self edifying. Playing sports is self edifying. Watching sports is the same when your team wins.

My responsibility as a believer is to represent Christ to others. Love people, be kind and forgiving. Share the gospel. I should pray and read the Bible and try to live a life that is pleasing to God and not be bound by sinful habits. If the Word if God says something is sin then I should stay away from it.

But we all sin. None are sinless or perfect. And it's not your place or mine to tell someone they are committing sin UNLESS it is something the scripture tells us is sinful. Such as stealing or committing adultery.

A higher sophistication of psychological wellbeing on the pyramid of self-actualization, of course, it belongs to no one, you've produced nothing, you know God could even take that, feeling good about yourself. Obviously. That was all I was making a point of.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Now competition is something I've thought about over the years. Its essence as far as I can determine is being better than the other.......such an insidious and ingrained tendency. It flies in the face of humility.....it fly's in the face of service to and for the other......to lift the other rather than pulling them down.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes Christians can play simulations, and you can only play; Medieval Total War 2. Crusader Kings 2. Bioshock Infinite (Southern Presbyterian chaos theory) (Stonewall Jackson/Lady Comstock romance at the police station. ) Horace Underwood and Stonewall Jackson in a video game. Civilization 5 is way out there...
Europa Universalis 4 Oliver Cromwell Start got Reformed America on your side.
I'll tell you whats not Christian about it is they're just names to start hitting each other. I'm an Orthodox! Ya!... So play the Byzantines , go to cheat console, religion iconoclast, cheat trigger event 210.LoR mend the schism, dont establish a iconoclast pentarchy. settle rhode island. Ya, looks good to me, anyway.
90's games used to be about giving quarters to the homeless or you regret it. Anyone remember that? Oh I forgot the homeless man on level 2.
Mabinogi pick up the Sister's eggs, get married. Welsh fairytales, its more Korean than Jejoongwon... I've discovered a french name for the place, Corea. Good idea..

I played the start of Bioshock Infinite and while it does combat racism, the rest of it, as a Christian, I just did not feel right playing that game, so I stopped, the imagery of that game was just not right.

@historyb If you have tried this game, you would know what I am talking about.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
To me, there are some good video games and bad video games, and there are video games where you can choose what you want to do.

@Scoot

I miss playing Warthunder, I would need a better computer to get it back, since it's a much more heavy detailed game to run now compared to the days when it was in beta, and I don't have enough data to download it, since my internet is limited, I only played for a little while in beta days, which must have been in 2012 or 2013.

Lol in saying that my computer definitely would not be able to handle DCS World, but how fun is it flying those fighter planes?

Some may not see it this way, but online gaming can also be an opportunity for evangelism. I mean I definitely have told others in the past about the wonderful things Jesus has done while playing online games with others.

So it can definitely be used for good.

Mike12

Oct 28, 2020
Madison
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I played the start of Bioshock Infinite and while it does combat racism, the rest of it, as a Christian, I just did not feel right playing that game, so I stopped, the imagery of that game was just not right.

@historyb If you have tried this game, you would know what I am talking about.
There's essentially one scene of a simulated upper half because its Satan. Its the Devil's Kiss Spirits Bottle is decoratively a nude upper half and I otherwise wouldn't know anything else to remark on, extreme violence. I wouldn't know where Alabama is with Southern Presbyterian otherwise in 5 libraries, 10 years, and the full internet. Its fully a Pre-1950 Presbyterianism simulator.

Lets say for Northern Presbyterianism the industrial sidekick Jeremiah Fink is Horace Underwood the millionaire missionary from Underwood Typewriters, famous for Bible Distribution, but many industries they did, gold mining, development in cable, trolley, medicine at jejoongwon. He would welcome the mission of his Southern Presbyterian brothers. They bluntly pose that Prophet Comstock is Thomas Jackson. I found Lady Comstock posed with the "Stonewall Jackson and horse in the Mysts" portrait in a home. Most suggestively it is the only "Government Official Couple" at the "Columbia Authority Police Station", notice portraits of Thomas Stonewall Jackson and Lady Comstock. That would suggestively be Anna Jackson and Elizabeth would be Julia Jackson by some extension.

This government throws people up in the air. What's expected of them? What else is expected, anyway? Check the Jeremiah Fink dialogue files is this some explanation on how or why America establishes its own Religious experience as the Korean Church and not just the PCUSA Church they want to do now in Korea? He disclaims the prophetic side. All Prophet Comstock claims prophetically the "lamb shall sit on the throne and drown in flames the mountains of man". So on 1984 we see Elizabeth forewarning the downfall of New York, the same time they made the PCUSA. The Order of the Raven mirrors the Ku Klux Klan with bird poop all over from ravens. The giant guardian the "Song Bird" from "Listen to the Mockingbird" is from "The Raven" in American literature history is Hawthorne after Edgar Allen Poe. Duke and Dufus is obviously Goofus and Gallant.

I liked the extreme rivalry to have claimed to be part of a heathen expedition in the Boxer Rebellion! I was there! I was there Comstock at the Boxer Rebellion! The "Hall of Heroes" is turned into the "Hall of Whores". The Key, Scroll, and Sword of Franklin, Washington, and Jefferson of the Founding Fathers? "Hail Columbia" is a very gentleman's portrayal of George Washington with soldiers who fought lacking pay for their wives and homesteads.

Chen Lin makes all the guns and weapons for Jeremiah Fink where we travel through 3 extremely confusing time paradoxes to see Chen Lin's first wife worshipping at an altar of Buddha, then its a white woman is Chen Lin's wife worshipping at the altar of Comstock, then they're both dead, it take a lot of time and I can't deduce the message.

I notice Elizabeth in the "Dangerous Specimen" section only wanted to visit the Eiffel Tower in Paris where they're supposedly free from religious strife by government secularism. I should probably pause there for a reply.

As for the Lutece twins I think it has to be an open mystery. It would be a natural part of the game the open mystery, but, I think the suggestion and hunch is strong, they're cited playing baseball on 3 different occasions. They are obsessed with the English language. They are the physicists themselves and unobtrusively are near the player start to finish. I like the French Accordian music on appearance, these somehow strictly defined persons of an unknowable mystique.

Last edited: