Should Christians run for public office?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think the difficulty with many here with the political seduction lies in the fact that people think they are citizens of a worldly country now and only a citizen of heaven after death. But this is false. We are not to love this world. Either we are presently a citizen of heaven or else we still belong to this world. Those who are of Christ have forsaken all....in this world.

Love NOT the world, nor the things of this world.

Many modern Christians are idolators....and in many ways. What is in our hearts? Pride of country? If so we are an idolator. What we love is what we worship.

Reactions: 4Jesus

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are speaking as a person of this world.
I don't know. I'm concerned for my family - it's getting harder to live in this world. I just think we should be involved to try to improve it instead of sitting back waiting for God to do it all.

Reactions: Willie T

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know. I'm concerned for my family - it's getting harder to live in this world. I just think we should be involved to try to improve it instead of sitting back waiting for God to do it all.
Yes, God told us to take care of this world, and He never rescinded that command.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Improving the flesh and the world is the province of human efforts and means. Trust God instead and look to the victory of Jesus Christ over this world. Go the way of faith in God. Faith is active...but the means are love and the Spirit of God. Nobody is advocating doing nothing.

Christianity is both the means AND the end. We begin with the power and presence of God and finish with he power and presence of God. Our role in all this is to love as Jesus loves.

We are to be a light that exposes darkness...but we say it in love. Speak the truth IN LOVE. The bible does not say that we should try improving things to make them less sinful somewhat. God is looking for us to preach a gospel of Christ that is revolutionary....not appeasing.

What is to inspire us is NOT fear and disgust (which political powers try to inspire)...but LOVE.

Last edited:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In politics, the devil is working both sides against the middle, so to speak. Both sides are his already. All political power is the devil's. Satan offered Jesus the political powers of this world....if he would just conform to those powers. But Jesus refused...as ALL His followers also refuse.

Don't let the political game fool you.

Reactions: 4Jesus

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A Republic is a representative form of government - your vote is suppose to represent the people in your district. If your radical beliefs do not allow you to represent all the people in your state or local government, which involves compromising for the best deal, you are better off in the pulpit, not public office.

Which people? The Christians, Atheist, Catholics, other religions? Who?

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In politics, the devil is working both sides against the middle, so to speak. Both sides are his already. All political power is the devil's. Satan offered Jesus the political powers of this world....if he would just conform to those powers. But Jesus refused...as ALL His followers also refuse.

Your all inclusive claim is false.

Doing nothing is what Satan wants.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Politics is about law not grace. Are we to be enforcers of law? This is antithetical to the mission and person of Christ.

Politics is based on violence....force...or the threat of these. Politics divide a country. The surest way to unite a country on the political level is to have total war with another country...this then reveals the Diabolos.....the evil division that constitutes the power behind politics.

Politics is about worldly power....which is the opposite of the kingdom of God. It is about taking power, exercising that power, and maintaining that power. If money is a force of evil...politics is more so.

No field is free of corruption.

I worked National Intelligence during Nam and was elected twice. What is the basis for your claims?

Romans 13:1-7
Submission to Governing Authorities
1 Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.
2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.
3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended.

Matthew 8:5-10
5 When Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him, asking for help.
6 “Lord,” he said, “my servant lies at home paralyzed, suffering terribly.”
7 Jesus said to him, “Shall I come and heal him?”
8 The centurion replied, “Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed.
9 For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and that one, ‘Come,’ and he comes. I say to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”
10 When Jesus heard this, he was amazed and said to those following him, “Truly I tell you, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And don't forget that good governance is not the same as politics. Government is a God-ordained necessity throughout the world.

Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. (Rom 13:1)

It is up to Christians to participate in government so that the evildoers do not control the agenda.

Reactions: Willie T