Should Christians run for public office?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You cannot provide one scripture directly supporting any of your Dispensationalist claims. Not one. This makes you a false prophet along with them.
Dave,

Whatever you know about Bible prophecy is second hand, and nonsense at best.
Since you do not even believe that God will redeem and restore Israel on earth after the second coming of Christ, you have absolutely NO CLUE about these things.

What you should do is CEASE AND DESIST, then sit down with the Bible itself and go from Genesis to Revelation to see what Bible prophecy is all about. I am positive that at this point you cannot even properly interpret this verse: The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come; and unto him shall the gathering of the people be. (Gen 49:10).

So for starters let's see what this means to you.

D

Dave L

Dave,

Whatever you know about Bible prophecy is second hand, and nonsense at best.
Since you do not even believe that God will redeem and restore Israel on earth after the second coming of Christ, you have absolutely NO CLUE about these things.

What you should do is CEASE AND DESIST, then sit down with the Bible itself and go from Genesis to Revelation to see what Bible prophecy is all about. I am positive that at this point you cannot even properly interpret this verse: The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come; and unto him shall the gathering of the people be. (Gen 49:10).

So for starters let's see what this means to you.
You should prove your claims using direct quotes from scripture. Otherwise you are a false prophet.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You should prove your claims using direct quotes from scripture. Otherwise you are a false prophet.
Why don't you show us if you are a true prophet by explaining the verse you were given? I don't believe you have a clue.

And unless you can prove (1) that I have ever claimed to be a prophet or (2) you have evidence to show that the the Millennium is NOT a Bible fact, you have nothing except hot air (which is mostly the content of your posts).

D

Dave L

Why don't you show us if you are a true prophet by explaining the verse you were given? I don't believe you have a clue.

And unless you can prove (1) that I have ever claimed to be a prophet or (2) you have evidence to show that the the Millennium is NOT a Bible fact, you have nothing except hot air (which is mostly the content of your posts).
Jesus says the kingdom comes without observation, is not of this world, you must be born again to see it, was already here with him at his first advent..... The Pharisees of course looked for the same kingdom you do and missed it.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christians never used violence to defend themselves in the NT. Jesus rebuked Peter for cutting off Malchus' ear with his sword.
That's true but what would Christ have done if they had started to do something to Peter instead of Him? I don't think we've been given any scenario (at least not off the top of my head) where a Christian had to defend a loved one. I can't believe that Christ taught passivity.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's the HOW we do things that counts. God resists our certainties. The problems in the world are caused by the spiritual failures of the church. Believers want to be certain about everything. So does the world.

Our religious certainties go hand in hand with the technological certainties that are killing our world. If instead we operated by faith then the world would slow down and people would be more careful.

But we are being spiritually careless...so the world follows our spiritual example and throws caution to the wind....just as we do.

We are to work out our own salvation with FEAR AND TREMBLING. We are NOT doing that. And God is not mocked. We are simply reaping what we are sowing. But who is responsible? Why not blame others.
I'm unsure what you mean about religious and technological certainties killing our world? I do agree that the church as a whole is a mess.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh wow-do you what town/state that is in? How awesome! And, yes...good answer, of course you would just leave the town, lol.
It's here: Ocean Grove, New Jersey - Wikipedia

I was thinking of starting a town in a remote area. I don't know how you do it, but sooner or later someone will sue to be able to put godless entertainment there and other ills. But if most of the people are Christian then I think it could turn out to be a good place - or at least as good as things can be on this side. I actually talked to a German man who is building a community in South America. Our culture today is poisoned, our food is poisoned, TV is poisoned. It's unhealthy today.

There are a lot of remote areas still around - I wonder what you have to do to establish a town. My niece moved to a remote are in SC and only pays something like $100 a year in taxes. They have no trash pickup. But imagine if Christians got together and decided to live in an area like that until the end? I think it can be done. I would feel so much better. We could agree to return to simpler times - no evil shows that are belched out of Hollywood, no Common Core in schools, and other improvements.

Why couldn't we do it?

Reactions: Nancy
D

Dave L

That's true but what would Christ have done if they had started to do something to Peter instead of Him? I don't think we've been given any scenario (at least not off the top of my head) where a Christian had to defend a loved one. I can't believe that Christ taught passivity.
I cannot think of a better death than upholding Jesus' words about loving enemies and turning the other cheek. And nothing can happen to me that God did not ordain.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. A true disciple of Christ does not entangle himself with the affairs of this world. We have a different citizenship and a different ambassadorship.

One can't get involved in politics without getting involved with the devil.
They wish to be the lord of the flies.

Reactions: Dave L

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He didn’t visit John wile he was in prison

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'm unsure what you mean about religious and technological certainties killing our world? I do agree that the church as a whole is a mess.

Society must follow spiritual powers. If the church does not hold the initiative for advancing the kingdom....then this leaves room for the devil to advance his own agenda.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Society must follow spiritual powers. If the church does not hold the initiative for advancing the kingdom....then this leaves room for the devil to advance his own agenda.
Then how do you see a way of improving this?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What about the verse in James?: "But be you doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves."
I strive too not live in a deluded state. This is the dung heap. Passing away. Only when we see it’s reallit can we be doers of the word. This sight can only be given of Christ.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Then how do you see a way of improving this?

The church has to go deeper into the truth....and stop doing things on the surface to attract more people in a superficial way. At this time, the churches advertise by tantalizing the self-interest. Getting "saved".....being able to look down on others as "unsaved"....etc. Very anti-love and missing any kind of humility.

The church has become the refuge of those who seek a religious escape from reality. It's the way to get more people "saved"...but is that really salvation? Just because it "feels" right? Yet it is empty. It is artificial...giddy and doesn't stand up to the real challenges of life...in SO many cases.

Faith isolates us with God...makes us unique. Faith brings relationship and intimacy with God. But this is rare. Religion on the other hand brings people under control...it brings people together into a crowd...a crowd that does NOT follow Christ...it is unable as Jesus calls us to come OUT from the crowd. We are to forsake all religious systems and come out of Babylon...the place where men and the devil work together to try fulfilling a self-made utopia (salvation scheme).

Mainly we see religious beliefs in today's churches. People tend to settle for a mass product aimed at the carnal nature in a person. The devil is behind all of this. Faith loves critique because it seeks the truth. But belief cannot love...is unable to be corrected...to admit weakness....to say...I don't see.

So then faith is based on the weakness of the inner man (that attracts God's grace and strength)...but belief on the strength of the natural man (which God resists). (the fact that most people have never heard of this distinction shows how shallow is the knowledge of most people about human nature and themselves.)

When we come to Christ...the "old man" of hostility to God is dead. But do we always act like Jesus after that? What part of us continues to get frustrated...to worry, to sin in general?

What part of us must be crucified so that the life of Jesus might flow out of us? Who teaches these things anymore?

For most believers the cross of Christ is a way out of punishment....as an historical event to put our religious belief into.

But the cross of Christ is the power that kills anything that stops us from being exactly as Jesus in this world. The power of the cross removes everything that gets in the way of an intimate walk with God. But this is basically unknown. And because of this superficiality the devil neutralizes the church and gets on with his agenda for this world.

The salt has indeed lost it's savour.

Belief: Strong on the outside...but weak on the inside (an empty lamp)

Faith: Weak on the outside...but strong on the inside. (a lamp with oil)

People will opt for what seems like strength....the religious hypocrisy that is so seductive to the "as yet" unspiritual man.

True and living faith brings us to God...then He sends us back into the world with HIS love and grace. But the crossing point is the cross of Christ.

Last edited:
Reactions: Waiting on him

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The most utterly stupid idea is to think you need to have power over someone in order to help them. Nonsense. Jesus taught HIS followers to be SERVANTS under others....not masters OVER others. So much for the idiocy of Christian politics. It's of the devil.

People want to be seen as great...not obscure people who work behind the scenes by the grace of God. Hypocrites want to be SEEN to be doing good....otherwise they will do nothing. So much for the self-sacrificial following of Jesus.
You DO have to have the power to allocate the resources of the government to help millions.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You DO have to have the power to allocate the resources of the government to help millions.

Make programs? We are called to help our neighbour....not make a ideological utopia.

It's ironic that I live in Canada which has universal health care...and is far less concerned with God. Are these issues related? Is it better to leave God and provide a humanistic ideology?

In the end we have to judge what really is helping.

But the role of Christians is to point to Jesus Christ....and to not forget the poor. But the human agenda according to power is for the world to concern itself with. The preservation of life in it's carnal form has limits.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Make programs? We are called to help our neighbour....not make a ideological utopia.

It's ironic that I live in Canada which has universal health care...and is far less concerned with God. Are these issues related? Is it better to leave God and provide a humanistic ideology?

In the end we have to judge what really is helping.

But the role of Christians is to point to Jesus Christ....and to not forget the poor. But the human agenda according to power is for the world to concern itself with. The preservation of life in it's carnal form has limits.
If you lived here in America, in two more years, you will be signing-up to draw money from a "government program." Would you, instead, go begging at the backdoor of a church? How about your medical system? Do you refuse that government assistance as not being God-centered?