Should I be rebaptised?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey, I was confirmed too, but God's direct word to me superseded that. I can tell you though that I went through a lot of soul searching over it and like you persisted in denying that it was necessary so I do know where you're coming from. But in the end I surrendered to his authority.
So did I . . .
Matt. 16:18-19, Matt. 18:15-18, Luke 10:16, John 16:12-15, John 20:21-23

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So, let me get this straight:
God was pleased by Solomon's ornate Temple.
Jesus was pleased that the woman broke an expensive jar of perfume and poured it on Him - and rebuked Judas for complaining that she didn't give the money to the poor.

But YOU are disgusted with the Catholic Church for its tribute to God??
Not sure how that works . . .

Goodness me. Who said I was disgusted? And who said anything about the Catholic Church. You seem to be putting words into my mouth brother. And I do not like the 'trappings' in any church. Others do though and I accept that.

Reactions: Acolyte

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So did I . . .
Matt. 16:18-19, Matt. 18:15-18, Luke 10:16, John 16:12-15, John 20:21-23

I'm sorry but I can't recall what those verses say. God direct word to me was,

"And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptised and wash your sins away, calling on his name.” "Acts 22:16

Reactions: Acolyte

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Goodness me. Who said I was disgusted? And who said anything about the Catholic Church. You seem to be putting words into my mouth brother. And I do not like the 'trappings' in any church. Others do though and I accept that.
Your response was to tzcho2's post against the Catholic Church.
Naturally, I would conclude that your agreement with his post was with ALL of it.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sorry but I can't recall what those verses say. God direct word to me was,

"And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptised and wash your sins away, calling on his name.” "Acts 22:16
Your response was that you surrendered to His Authority. I said that I did the same.
The Bible explicitly states that He gave supreme earthly Authority to His Church . . .

Matt 16:18-19
And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.
I will give YOU the keys to the kingdom of heaven. WHATEVER YOU bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and WHATEVER YOU loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

Matt. 18:15-18
"If your brother sins (against you), go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have won over your brother.
If he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, so that 'every fact may be established on the testimony of two or three witnesses.'
If he refuses to listen to them, tell the church. If he refuses to listen even to the church, then treat him as you would a Gentile or a tax collector.
Amen, I say to you, WHATEVER YOU bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and WHATEVER YOU loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Luke 10:16
Whoever listens to YOU listens to ME. Whoever rejects YOU rejects ME. And whoever rejects ME rejects the ONE who sent ME."

John 16:12-15
“I have much more to tell you, but you cannot bear it now.
But when he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will guide you to ALL truth. He will not speak on his own, but he will speak what he hears, and will declare to YOU the things that are coming.
He will glorify me, because he will TAKE from what is MINE and declare it to YOU.
Everything that the Father has is MINE; for this reason I told you that he will TAKE from what is MINE and declare it to YOU.

John 20:21-23
Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the holy Spirit. Whose sins YOU FORGIVE are forgiven them, and whose sins YOU RETAIN are retained.”

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Your response was to tzcho2's post against the Catholic Church.
Naturally, I would conclude that your agreement with his post was with ALL of it.

Well you conclude wrong as it's not just the Catholic church's trappings that I don't like.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Your response was that you surrendered to His Authority. I said that I did the same.
The Bible explicitly states that He gave supreme earthly Authority to His Church . . .

Matt 16:18-19
And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.
I will give YOU the keys to the kingdom of heaven. WHATEVER YOU bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and WHATEVER YOU loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

Matt. 18:15-18
"If your brother sins (against you), go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have won over your brother.
If he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, so that 'every fact may be established on the testimony of two or three witnesses.'
If he refuses to listen to them, tell the church. If he refuses to listen even to the church, then treat him as you would a Gentile or a tax collector.
Amen, I say to you, WHATEVER YOU bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and WHATEVER YOU loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Luke 10:16
Whoever listens to YOU listens to ME. Whoever rejects YOU rejects ME. And whoever rejects ME rejects the ONE who sent ME."

John 16:12-15
“I have much more to tell you, but you cannot bear it now.
But when he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will guide you to ALL truth. He will not speak on his own, but he will speak what he hears, and will declare to YOU the things that are coming.
He will glorify me, because he will TAKE from what is MINE and declare it to YOU.
Everything that the Father has is MINE; for this reason I told you that he will TAKE from what is MINE and declare it to YOU.

John 20:21-23
Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the holy Spirit. Whose sins YOU FORGIVE are forgiven them, and whose sins YOU RETAIN are retained.”

Oh so these verses have nothing to say about baptism so I don't really get your point. But the one I quoted did so I'll stick with that.

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I do not like all the religious trappings.

Yeah, especially the "Bishop's Mitre". That was borrowed from the Philistines who worshiped the fish god, Dagon. The priests of Dagon used to dress up kinda like a fish and if you look at it sideways, you can see that the "mitre" looks like the gaping mouth of a fish. Can't help but LOL at that one.

Reactions: farouk and Pearl

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh so these verses have nothing to say about baptism so I don't really get your point. But the one I quoted did so I'll stick with that.
We were talking about obedience to His Authority.
He gave complete Authority to His Church, as I pointed out in the verses in post #307 . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well you conclude wrong as it's not just the Catholic church's trappings that I don't like.
Noted.
As I pointed out earlier - God disagrees with you (2 Chron. 7:1, Mark 14:6-9).

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, especially the "Bishop's Mitre". That was borrowed from the Philistines who worshiped the fish god, Dagon. The priests of Dagon used to dress up kinda like a fish and if you look at it sideways, you can see that the "mitre" looks like the gaping mouth of a fish. Can't help but LOL at that one.
More idiotic drivel . . .

The Mitre is designed to emulate the ancient Christian symbol for Christ - which is the FISH (Ichthys) - and is STILL in use to this day.

Good grief - do your homework Lady . . .

2-fish-anchor.jpg
f_1496991-300x225.jpg

Last edited:

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree that water baptism doesn't save anybody but baptism is a public confession to the world that we are indeed saved and have decided to follow Jesus. Of course there are people that will go through the motions, but God knows their hearts and their motives and knows when it is genuine and when it is not.
Water baptism is a ritual that man performs as is the circumcision in the Old Testament.

For a rancher to distinguish his horses from other ranchers, he put his label/brand on the horse/cow he owned. Likewise, in the Old Testament, God told Abraham to circumcise all those that belonged to him to signify ownership.

In the Old Testament the ritual was circumcision and in the New Testament was baptism. Both however have no significant value as to salvation, except they are now set apart and under the hearing of the Gospel.

To God Be The Glory

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Water baptism is a ritual that man performs as is the circumcision in the Old Testament.

For a rancher to distinguish his horses from other ranchers, he put his label/brand on the horse/cow he owned. Likewise, in the Old Testament, God told Abraham to circumcise all those that belonged to him to signify ownership.

In the Old Testament the ritual was circumcision and in the New Testament was baptism. Both however have no significant value as to salvation, except they are now set apart and under the hearing of the Gospel.

To God Be The Glory
What an abominable mockery of the Sacrament of Baptism.

According to Christ Himself - Baptism is a bit more efficacious than a rancher branding a cow . . .
John 3:5

Jesus answered, “Amen, amen, I say to you, no one can enter the kingdom of God without being born of water and Spirit.

Paul likens Baptism to the fulfillment of OT type that was circumcision . . .
Col 2:11-12
In him you were also circumcised with a circumcision not performed by human hands. Your whole self ruled by the flesh was put off when you were circumcised by Christ, HAVING BEEN BURIED WITH HIM IN BAPTISM, in which you were also raised with him through your faith in the working of God, who raised him from the dead.

Your rancher/cow metaphor is despicable . . .

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
According to Christ Himself - Baptism is a bit more efficacious than a rancher branding a cow . . .
John 3:5
Jesus answered, “Amen, amen, I say to you, no one can enter the kingdom of God without being born of water and Spirit.
Define “water and the Spirit”, and I’ll guarantee that’s NOT what you think it means!!

To God Be The Glory

Reactions: tzcho2

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We were talking about obedience to His Authority.
He gave complete Authority to His Church, as I pointed out in the verses in post #307 . . .
You bow to the authority of the physical RC Church and it's interpretation of scriptures, which are in error.
Christ's church is not a physical one , but a spiritual one.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes--I checked with a former-Catholic friend about who gets to drink the wine. She said, "Only the priest drinks the wine--I figure that's why a bunch of priests are alcoholics." :rolleyes:

It is true. Only a small percentage of Romanists allow their flock to drink the wine. Only the priests. And the priests then salve this wrong by saying that it is 'offered', so it is partaken. More papacy Romanist bs.

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WRONG.
Circumcision ABSOLUTELY made a person one of God's People. Without it - you were NOT in the Covenant with Him and were NOT considered a Jew, one of His Chosen.

NEVER said that Luke 18:15-16 was about Baptism. It is about how children and infants are INCLUDED in the New Covenant and will NOT be left out.

Col 2:11-12 IS about Water Baptism. NOWHERE does it even imply anything different.
Stop trying to ADD to Scripture what it NOT there . . .

That's right. (Luke 18:15-16) is not about water baptism. So glad you agree.

Nothing in (Col. 2:11-12) speaks to water baptism. It is the baptism of the Spirit.

Stranger