Should I be rebaptised?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I thought you’ll never ask. The water is a synonym for the Gospel. You couldn’t have known this because only a child of God does, and you are a Catholic.

Support verse: John 7:38

“He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water” which is the Gospel.

BTW, where in Scripture does it say Jesus baptized anyone? I know Paul baptized just a handful, but Jesus? Well, I could be wrong.

To God Be The Glory
And it's precisely this kind of "absolutist" mentality that has cause so much confusion within Protestantism. The refusal to understand or accept the reality polyvalent symbolism is where to run into dead-ends.

Sorry to use such a big word but "polyvalent" simply means that a symbol has multiple meanings.
For example, you anti-Catholics claim there is only ONE "Rock" in Scripture - Jesus.
We Catholics, who know our Bible, however, understand that Abraham is also called "the Rock" (Isa. 51:1).
Peter is also called "the Rock" (Matt. 16:18).
Jesus is referred to as a Cornerstone (Eph. 2:20) and an actual Rock who followed the Israelites in the deserts and supplied them with water (1 Cor. 10:4).
So- there are MULTIPLE "Rocks" spoken of here - but in different contexts.

The same is true for the WATER spoken of in the Scriptures. Water isn't always abut the Gospel. If you understood Jewish culture, you would know that water was essential in cleansing rituals. WHY do you think that it is described the way it is in Ezek. 36:25-27 and Pet. 3:21?? BOTH of these passages describe the WASHING AWAY of sin and iniquity.

When Jesus speaks to the Samaritan Woman, He talks about "living water" that wells up to eternal life. When you cross-reference this with 1 Cor. 10:4 - you see that Christ himself is the Living Water. It is HIS purity that we are washed with in Baptism - not our own and NOT from the properties of mere water.

Scripture reveals MULTIPLE symbolism - not just one . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I was getting at is that water baptism is NOT essential to salvation as some here believe!!

To God Be The Glory
And Jesus (Mark. 16:16) and Peter (1 Pet. 3:21) and Paul (Col. 2:11-12) would DISAGREE with you . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know what Roman doctrine is just like you know who the Roman church is.

Actually the picture itself does not bother me. I am glad to see that there is still a smattering of believers in the Roman church who can partake of the wine, blood also. What I don't like is your inference that it is common today in the Roman church. It is not.

Stranger
It's common in the Catholic Church.
Not even sure what the "Roman" Church is . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Too bad, no self perception. Condescension & insults that's all you got.
The rcc interpretation of scripture is error but only with God's grace will you see your error and understand scripture. We can keep posting it , but all you do is "trample under feet and turn again and rend...."
Yes, you keep making asinine comments like this - but so far, you have FAILED to produce any evidence . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everything described by Paul in (Col. 2:10-13) is accomplished by the Spirit. It is describing that which God has actually and really done for the believer. It is not accomplished by being water baptized. Just as is described in (1 Cor. 12:13), it is of the Spirit.

Stranger
And THIS is why Protestant cherry-picking leads to so much confusion - to the point of tens of thousands of perpetually-splintering sects that ALL teach different doctrines while ALL claiming that the Holy Spirit "guided" them . . .

When you take ALL of the passages about Baptism and read them in CONTEXT (I know you hate that word) - then you can understand that Water Baptism is necessary (Ezek. 36:25-27, Mark 16:16, 1 Pet. 3:21, Acts 2:38).

You guys can't even get Baptism right. SOME pof you believe it's necessary, SOME of you don't.
SOME of you believe it's regenerative - SOME of you believe that you just get wet.

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And Jesus (Mark. 16:16) and Peter (1 Pet. 3:21) and Paul (Col. 2:11-12) would DISAGREE with you . . .

To your vantage point of course you will say these verses disagree with me.

However, the Bible speaks of two baptisms. One is physical baptism and the other spiritual baptism (Titus 3:5).

Which baptism do you think God has in view in these passages or which baptism has the power to save?

You don’t even comprehend how to interpret 1 Peter 3:21 let alone speak of baptism!!

To God Be The Glory

Reactions: Dave L

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, you keep making asinine comments like this - but so far, you have FAILED to produce any evidence . . .
Speaking of asinine... and a FAIL. Why would I repeat what my brothers and sisters have ALREADY posted concerning what the Bible teaches about baptism? You repeatedly stomp on the Bible teachings presented to you and throw it in their faces.
You've FAILED to show willingness for civil discourse & closed ears to anything but rcc dogma.

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Speaking of asinine... and a FAIL. Why would I repeat what my brothers and sisters have ALREADY posted concerning what the Bible teaches about baptism? You repeatedly stomp on the Bible teachings presented to you and throw it in their faces.
You've FAILED to show willingness for civil discourse & closed ears to anything but rcc dogma.

That is because Bread of Life has been trained (brainwashed) to be contemptuous of those who hold to the primacy of Scripture. Obviously, there is much more concern there for the approval of the guys in his "club". He is similar to a modern-day Sadducee who was accused by Jesus, "No wonder you can’t believe! For you gladly honor each other, but you don’t care about the honor that comes from the one who alone is God." (John 5:44) The entire chapter 5 of the gospel of John would be important to the understanding of BoL's situation.

Reactions: tzcho2

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is because Bread of Life has been trained (brainwashed) to be contemptuous of those who hold to the primacy of Scripture. Obviously, there is much more concern there for the approval of the guys in his "club". He is similar to a modern-day Sadducee who was accused by Jesus, "No wonder you can’t believe! For you gladly honor each other, but you don’t care about the honor that comes from the one who alone is God." (John 5:44) The entire chapter 5 of the gospel of John would be important to the understanding of BoL's situation.
Yes, lots of vanity and contempt bred into the rcc. So the opposite of the true church.

Reactions: Lady Crosstalk

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, lots of vanity and contempt bred into the rcc. So the opposite of the true church.

That is why it is a waste of time and energy to argue with Catholics. They have been assured that they are the only true church and that everyone else is beneath contempt.

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What BOL fails to grasp is that within the body of Christ i.e. within the Protestants there is agreement & unity concerning basic Christian theology & doctrines, which flies in the face of the their rabid propaganda they traffic about protestants.

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What BOL fails to grasp is that within the body of Christ i.e. within the Protestants there is agreement & unity concerning basic Christian theology & doctrines, which flies in the face of the their rabid propaganda they traffic about protestants.

Well, not that much unity among Protestants as a general group. I have a lot of trouble being in unity with a United Methodist who believes in the Goddess Sophia. :( The "doctrines of demons" seem to be present everywhere these days. The only unity Christians can hope to have is in Scripture but even then they argue about interpretation. If Christians would all seek the indwelling Holy Spirit, and gain God's blessing in granting Him to them, the plans of the enemy to lead them astray would be thwarted. The Bible is a closed book to those who do not have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Catholics hide their battles with each other but they are there. There are a LOT of American Catholics who are quite dissatisfied with the leadership--to the point where some are discussing the breaking away of their churches from the central hierarchy. Now, wouldn't THAT be interesting!

Last edited:

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is why it is a waste of time and energy to argue with Catholics.
It's a don't throw your pearls scenario.... If someone refuses civil discourse, & has a mean-abusive spirit --its just evil communications from them. Sometimes I post scripture just to show the correct biblical interpretation in these situations , but choose not to directly dialogue with them. This round , I've chosen to call a spade a spade as my brothers & sisters have been posting correct biblical interpretation. Get's time to kick the dust off our sandals. :rolleyes:

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, not that much unity among Protestants as a general group. I have a lot of trouble being in unity with a United Methodist who believes in the Goddess Sophia. :( The "doctrines of demons" seem to be present everywhere these days. The only unity Christians can hope to have is in Scripture but even then they argue about interpretation. If Christians would all seek the indwelling Holy Spirit, and gain God's blessing in granting Him to them, the plans of the enemy to lead them astray would be thwarted. The Bible is a closed book to those who do not have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Catholics hide their battles with each other but they are there. There are a LOT of American Catholics who are quite dissatisfied with the leadership--to the point where some are discussing the breaking away of their churches from the central hierarchy. Now, wouldn't THAT be interesting!
Of course , not methodists , or united, or anglican, nor charismatic, ...I could go on. But hey Jesus said there were false prophets going out in His time to corrupt the teachings, so in 2000 plus years , this is what we get. The thing is we are lead by the Holy Spirit within & sifted by His word, Jesus said my sheep know my voice--and that is true. I have met many in the body that attend different small churches but we agree in the basic doctrines. The denominations that are too close to the rcc or heretical & are likely to join them in the ecumenical movement have chosen what and whom they are drawn to.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To your vantage point of course you will say these verses disagree with me.

However, the Bible speaks of two baptisms. One is physical baptism and the other spiritual baptism (Titus 3:5).

Which baptism do you think God has in view in these passages or which baptism has the power to save?

You don’t even comprehend how to interpret 1 Peter 3:21 let alone speak of baptism!!

To God Be The Glory
Uh huh.
Now, HOW and WHEN do you think this Baptism of the Spirit occurs, Einstein??

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would HOPE that you would come up with something better than they did because they are dead wrong.

The bible doesn't teach that Baptism is "unnecessary". On the contrary - it teaches that unless we are Baptized we cannot hope to be saved.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The problem is that neither of you geniuses has been able to show me where the Bible says that the Bible is our SOLE Authority.

Chapter and Verse, please . . .

Last edited:

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's common in the Catholic Church.
Not even sure what the "Roman" Church is . . .

I don't blame you. I would play stupid also if I was a priest in the Roman church. Better to be dumb then to admit you know and are still a part.

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And THIS is why Protestant cherry-picking leads to so much confusion - to the point of tens of thousands of perpetually-splintering sects that ALL teach different doctrines while ALL claiming that the Holy Spirit "guided" them . . .

When you take ALL of the passages about Baptism and read them in CONTEXT (I know you hate that word) - then you can understand that Water Baptism is necessary (Ezek. 36:25-27, Mark 16:16, 1 Pet. 3:21, Acts 2:38).

You guys can't even get Baptism right. SOME pof you believe it's necessary, SOME of you don't.
SOME of you believe it's regenerative - SOME of you believe that you just get wet.

Ah, yes. You want to know what 'cherry picking' is? It's when you come face to face with Scripture that is against you. Just like you just did.

Good grief, do you really believe that there is nothing but water baptism? What in the world do they teach yall in your Bible classes. Assuming of course you have Bible classes.

When you read of fire, it's not always hell. When you read of salvation, it's not always your immediate salvation, it can also involve your sanctification. My point is that when you read of Baptism, you don't have to always go looking for a water hole. It may well speak to spirit baptism which is different. And that is what the verses here in (Col. 2:10-13) speak to.

You know it...yet you feel now you must argue lest you reveal your complete ignorance in the matter.

Stranger

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't blame you. I would play stupid also if I was a priest in the Roman church. Better to be dumb then to admit you know and are still a part.

Stranger
The only "Roman" Churches I know of are the parishes of Rome - but they are part of the Catholic Church.
Never heard of the "Roman Church".