Should one be baptized again?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If you don't feel sufficient with your infant baptism, then go ahead and get baptized as an adult. If you do, I don't think that is any need to get baptized again.

Paedobaptism vs Credobaptism

The issue is debated: A Paedobaptist Position with R.C. Sproul vs A Credobaptist Position with John MacArthur

If you were baptized as a kid but feel insufficient about it, then go ahead and get baptized as an adult.

If you were baptized as an adult but feel insufficient about it, then go ahead and get baptized again as an adult.

If you were baptized as an adult twice already but feel insufficient about it, then you need to ask yourself: When will it be enough?

The usual practice is that you get baptized exactly once.

See also Is baptism necessary for salvation?.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@TonyChanYT
Water baptism a shadow?
If it is, is it needful to repeat the exercise, to rework the shadow rather than moving on toward or into the Reality? What is the Reality?

And a vision is needful so that people do not perish. As a person grows [if he does grow] in and toward God it really should becoming clearer from day to day:

"Where there is no vision, the people perish:..." Prov 29:18

"For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." I Cor 13:12

"Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is." I John 3:2
As to John the Baptist, perhaps he was working to break up, or to show people how to break up, their fallow ground:

"For thus saith the LORD to the men of Judah and Jerusalem, Break up your fallow ground, and sow not among thorns." Jerem 4:3

How does the ground become fallow or good ground?

"And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the way side, and the fowls came and devoured them up:
Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much earth: and forthwith they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth:
And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away.
And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up, and choked them:
But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, 0some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold.
Who hath ears to hear, let him hear." Matt 13:4-9

Considering the baptism of the Ethiopian eunuch by Philip. What part does water play in preparing the ground [you and me and the other guy being the little bit of dirt] to receive those seeds and to accomplish hopefully a thirty, sixty or hundredfold increase rather than remaining a scorched dry earth place of death?

"I will not give sleep to mine eyes, or slumber to mine eyelids,
Until I find out a place for the LORD, an habitation for the mighty God of Jacob." Psalm 132:4-5

"For the LORD hath chosen Zion; he hath desired it for his habitation.
This is my rest for ever: here will I dwell; for I have desired it." Psalm 132:13-14

Zion:

!wyc
Tsiyown (tsee-yone'); Proper Name Location, Strong #: 6726

Zion = "parched place"

1. another name for Jerusalem especially in the prophetic books

KJV Word Usage and Count
Zion 153
Sion 1

Would the "parched place" (Zion) be the bit of dirt that we are before having our ground broken up and enriched and seeded and watered as good and fallow ground.

But what kind of "water" is that...? The symbolic type or shadow of the H2O immersion of the eunuch? Or...?

"Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again:
But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life." John 4:13-14
There are types and shadows throughout the OT, but some also as I understand it in the NT as well! Is there not a Reality or Truth available that surpasses all the expectations of men when they partake of the types and shadows? John the Baptist made it clear, I believe, that no matter what he, the Baptist, might be, Jesus was greater bringing something greater.

Baptism in water is certainly not of itself alone an evil thing but perhaps rather another type or shadow of the Reality/Truth, which God is and which God offers to men...

"I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:
Whose fan is in his hand, and he will thoroughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire." Matt 3:11-12

Remember here also the lesson of Nehushtan destroyed by Hezekiah! [see II Kings 18:1-4]

Last edited:
Reactions: Azim

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who says water baptism is a shadow?
That is what I see. I see a whole lot of types and shadows in scripture [OT and NT] and I see Reality in a measure. Is that last how the Apostle Paul was seeing when he wrote this?
1co 13:12For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
When comes the "then"?

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
After you are born again from above is the only time to be baptized; to identify with Jesus Christ, with your newness of life in Jesus. You pass from your old self to new self, symbolically.

• Love
Reactions: amigo de christo

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is more than a symbol. It symbolizes a spiritual reality.
Something babies know nothing about .
So i will again remind us all of what must OCCUR before ONE can be baptized .
I take us back to a time , many many moons ago and to a desert outside of jersusalem
as a eunach was traveling back to eypgt around gaza .
THE SPIRIT bid phillip to go to this man .
He heard the eunach of candace reading the prophet issiah chapter fifty three .
The eunach was puzzled and said WHO is this the prophet speaks about , Is it about himself he is saying this
Or about another .
TO which phillip then PREACHED JESUS CHRIST .
Now as they were traveling the eunach spotted water .
SO he then said to PHILLIP , what does HINDER , HINDER ME from being baptized .
AND PHILLIP THEN SAID IF YE BELEIVE WITH ALL YOUR HEART YOU MAY BE .
SO , yeah THAT IS what is required . YE MUST FIRST BELEIVE ON JESUS CHRIST , THEN ye may be baptized .
The RCC has led many souls astray . And that it even the hardly of it either .
I mean you should see the real blasphemies it has taught throughout history and even today .
Have a blessed day now .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If they want to, they sure can do it.

There is nothing wrong with desiring to do what Jesus had done when it comes to being baptized in water. You could even do it in his original name Yeshua, if you would like to. I was baptized three times a young adolescent, but never really knew God or the Lord until later on in life, and I had not idea what the purpose was for.

Last edited:

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you don't feel sufficient with your infant baptism, then go ahead and get baptized as an adult. If you do, I don't think that is any need to get baptized again.

Paedobaptism vs Credobaptism

The issue is debated: A Paedobaptist Position with R.C. Sproul vs A Credobaptist Position with John MacArthur

If you were baptized as a kid but feel insufficient about it, then go ahead and get baptized as an adult.

If you were baptized as an adult but feel insufficient about it, then go ahead and get baptized again as an adult.

If you were baptized as an adult twice already but feel insufficient about it, then you need to ask yourself: When will it be enough?

The usual practice is that you get baptized exactly once.

See also Is baptism necessary for salvation?.
A very good point.
I know of a person who felt the need to be baptized a 2nd time ...in the running river....after being baptized in a church baptistry.

One time is sufficient so long as it is proper....after reaching age of accountability (child sprinkling of water is not biblical baptism) and repentance.
I can find nothing in the KJV 1611 edition suggesting a 2nd proper baptism is necessary.

But, we have only one chance of getting this right. If I found scripture or felt the need I would make a trip to Israel and be baptized in the Jordan.
Praise be to God.

Last edited:
Reactions: TonyChanYT

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Perhaps cognition as an infant is sufficiently immature to understand its meaning. Only the religious settle for things they don't understand while dismissing that which is revealed.

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wouldnt mind doing it again. Doesnt really matter does it? Perhaps everytime I take a shower or a bath, I can do my own baptism in Christ…
You cannot baptise yourself. But there is always someone who can do it for you...just ask.
We are reminded there are many ways to witness for Christ...that is one.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You cannot baptise yourself. But there is always someone who can do it for you...just ask.
We are reminded there are many ways to witness for Christ...that is one.
Jesus can.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jesus can.

Jesus can hear your confession of sinning and forgive you if you humble yourself and repent thereby enabling the healing of the fertile soil in which you are planted.

In Ezekiel 18 it speaks of a wicked man who is destined for dying the second death at the time of the final judgement of mankind, if he humbles himself and repents of his wicked sins and turns away to establishing a righteous relationship with God, and the keeping of His statutes, will live and gain eternal life at the time of the final judgement.

But man, who is righteous and destined to live, if he sins, and turns away from God, he will not live if he will not humble himself and repent of his sin, he will die the second dearth at the time of the final judgement.

Being baptised is not mentioned in this chapter from memory.

The question is, "What is the purpose for a person to be baptised?"

We are to confess our sins one to another in the assembly of God and the Baptising of a person is the outward sign of that person repenting before God within the assembly of believers.

How many times should a person be baptised is really a question that should be in response to God and His prompting of that person to do so.

The next question is Whether the prompting to be baptised again is a whispering of Satan suggesting to you that you are not good enough before God and therefore need to be baptised many times to be acceptable before God.

I believe that Paul tells us that there is a process by which we renew our mind in the things of the Lord and that we then put on the refurbished personhood of God that he intended all of mankind to become from the beginning of time as a working relationship with God.

Shalom