What is the purpose of infant baptism?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Purposes of paedobaptism:

1. As a parallel with circumcision in the Old Testament, Luke 2:21.
  2. Initiate the baby into the Christian community because his parent is a Christian, Acts 16:33, 1 Corinthians 7:14.
I baptized all my 5 kids by near submersion in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit when they were 8 days old. I understand that the evidence for infant baptism in the Bible is not explicit and is debatable. So, when my kids were teenagers, I told them that if they believed that was sufficient, there would be no need to be baptized again; but if not, feel free to have an official adult believer's baptism from a reputable local church.

doctrox

Jun 11, 2019
global
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
TonyChanYT, your honesty is refreshing. However, there are dangers here that we need to be aware of.

Without getting into the history of the Jewish ritual of water baptism, it always involved one who is accountable. And certainly an 8-day-old is not accountable.
What is the purpose of infant baptism?
So what is the spiritual agenda behind those who would push for sprinkling such young ones? Well, it's similar to telling yours about Santa Claus.

At some point, they will discover that Santa is a lie, and so "maybe my dad also lied to me about Jesus." Every time we are dishonest to those we are in authority over (e.g. attempting to instill a belief on another in lieu of their understanding and acceptance), there is a searing of the conscience that takes place. Sprinkling an underling who has no comprehension of the ritual or its purpose leaves that person defenseless to the spirit behind it. You can see the utility that Satan would get from this (e.g. Ex. 20:5).

We must remain in the truth at all times, and not condescend to traditions of men, no matter how "right" they may appear.

Last edited:

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

2. Initiate the baby into the Christian community because his parent is a Christian, Acts 16:33, 1 Corinthians 7:14.
I baptized all my 5 kids by near submersion in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit when they were 8 days old. I understand that the evidence for infant baptism in the Bible is not explicit and is debatable. So, when my kids were teenagers, I told them that if they believed that was sufficient, there would be no need to be baptized again; but if not, feel free to have an official adult believer's baptism from a reputable local church.
Hi Tony, I went thru all this myself, having been baptized as an infant in the Lutheran Church and raised up in the faith. I have always had faith, but I wandered away in my early adolescence and returned in my later adolescence. I felt stupid getting rebaptized as an adult, but I did it.

My view now is that water baptism is largely for new converts. Those dedicated as babies is a promise by the parents to raise the child in the faith--not actual baptism. Later baptism is not necessary, because it is for new converts. In my case, I may have benefited from a recommit type of water baptism.

At any rate, Water Baptism doesn't save one, but serves as a form of confession that does save one. It's a good practice for new converts. But it's much better to be raised up in the faith, if possible. However, those saved later in life tend to have greater love and appreciation for the faith--men like the Apostle Paul and St. Augustine.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

What is the purpose of infant baptism?​

role model for washing hair when little water is available? :contemplate:

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think some people think you need to be baptized to go to heaven. Therefore, they have their children baptized as soon as possible.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If you are a worthy Christian that's what you will do directly if you value your child and regards to God !

Only a slob would not do such, or one who is not truly born again in fact !

It's a Duty to all you know in doing so and worthy to God !

John the Baptist was baptizing Jews regardless. so why would anyone stand in the way of such, must be of Satan !

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Baptism is only true and effective if the person being baptised has made their own free will choice. It doesn't mean anything if somebody else such as a parent makes that decision for them - even if it's by full immersion. To be truly baptised we need to know the truth of the saving grace of God through the blood of Jesus. We need to know it and desire to partake of it. Without that it's just getting wet.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Neither of those reasons are scripturally valid since there is no recommendation for either.
How is infant baptism a parallel with circumcision when only males were mandated to be circumcised?

The apostle Paul made mention of the children of believers who were married to unbelievers when he said…
“The unbelieving husband is sanctified in relation to his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified in relation to the brother; otherwise, your children would really be unclean, but now they are holy.” (1 Cor 7:14)

The children and spouse of a believing parent are “sanctified” (viewed as holy by God) until that child or mate decides to make their own free willed choice to become a baptized Christian.
Jesus was 30 years old when he was baptized, so age does not matter.

Baptism is a public demonstration of a person’s commitment to God through Christ to live up to that dedication from that day forward….and a good incentive for parents to raise
their children in the faith….but even the best parents can produce rebellious children….ask God about that….
The fact that you baptized your children by “near immersion” shows that you understand the dangers of baptizing infants by “full immersion”…..God would never command something physically dangerous for infants…..and yet it is full immersion that must take place as it is a symbolic ‘death, burial and resurrection’ to one’s former life, and a commitment to live as Christ commanded from then on.

Christ’s own baptism was by full immersion, indicating his commitment to take up his role as Messiah with all that it meant…..and his course was approved by his God and Father by way of the endowment of holy spirit, as well as his voice of approval.

Last edited: