Should Priests Get Married?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If they want to become a priest they are required to be celibate. Again, Jesus and Paul did not require such a choice. Herein Rome is in error and so are you. There are none so blind as those who refuse to see what’s plain to see. Then again, Scripture isn’t Rome’s strong suit.
Hi Nomad,

True. If one wants to become a priest that have to decide if they have been called to be celibate also (except for the married priest). Fortunately they have many YEARS to pray about it. What a beautiful thing the Catholic Church has done by having a celibacy requirement. Celibacy is a gift of the Holy Spirit and a special grace that depends on a free-will response by the receiver. Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given.

Let's talk about what Jesus and Paul did say about this subject. Paul was celibate and said, "I wish that all of you were as I am."

Jesus was celibate and he said "There are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. Let the one who is able to receive this receive it.”

Those who are able to receive it have received it and fulfilled Jesus desire. They have also fulfilled Paul's wish. Praise God for these men.

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well that is easy...there is just the opposite!!!
It has already be noted here...
1 Timothy 4:3-8
3 "Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.
6 If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained."
Hi BG,

I don't see where that passage has anything to do with a man who decides he wants to become a priest agreeing to be celibate. Could you clarify?

In context this passage starts out: Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron.... "

Is it possible that the "latter times" were 1,500 years after the death of Christ when large numbers of Christians departed from the faith by following men who started their own churches creating new doctrines for men to follow?

Does the Catholic Church forbid marriage?

Respectfully....Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’ve already answered this quite extensively. See my previous posts — including the one to which you just replied.
Hi,

I agree with you. They are not being forced to be celibate. They make the choice and it is a gift from God.

Would you like to tackle the other two questions I asked?

If you decide to not marry are you being forced to stay celibate?

Who said there is a biblical requirement for celibate leaders?

Mary

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If they want to become a priest they are required to be celibate. Again, Jesus and Paul did not require such a choice. Herein Rome is in error and so are you. There are none so blind as those who refuse to see what’s plain to see. Then again, Scripture isn’t Rome’s strong suit.
WRONG.
If it were a matter of doctrine - then you might have a case. However, priestly celibacy is a matter of discipline - NOT doctrine and can theoretically be changed. Other matters of discipline include not eating meat on Fridays during Lent, fasting, etc.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
With attendance at seminaries dwindling, I wonder if it would help if priests were allowed to get married.
aren't you a priest, too?

With attendance dwindling, i gotta wonder if maybe reading their Bibles might help "priests" more than getting married, even.
Who are you deeming a "priest" here, anyway?

i know that savage wolves will rush in as soon as i am gone, not sparing the flock

but let's call them "priests?"

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well that is easy...there is just the opposite!!!
It has already be noted here...
1 Timothy 4:3-8
3 "Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.
6 If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained."
Your point above in RED is not only NOT about the Catholic Church - the Catholic Church doesn't teach this.

Paul is writing about the 1st century sect called the Gnostics. they were heretics who believed that ALL material matter was evil.
They forbade ALL marriage, the forbade eating meat at ALL and even owning material wealth.

Please research these things before posting.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
aren't you a priest, too?

With attendance dwindling, i gotta wonder if maybe reading their Bibles might help "priests" more than getting married, even.
Who are you deeming a "priest" here, anyway?

i know that savage wolves will rush in as soon as i am gone, not sparing the flock

but let's call them "priests?"
Yes, in the New Covenant, we are all priests.
1 Peter 2:9

I must say that priests do read the bible.
Who am I deeming a priest? I know Catholic priests, so I'm referring to them.
Most are trying to do a good job -- but each one has his own personality and character.

But I wouldn't say they are wolves!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Yes, in the New Covenant, we are all priests.
1 Peter 2:9

I must say that priests do read the bible.
Who am I deeming a priest? I know Catholic priests, so I'm referring to them.
Most are trying to do a good job -- but each one has his own personality and character.

But I wouldn't say they are wolves!
well of course everyone is different, even "priests"

but i would contemplate the motivations of anyone seeking to be deemed a human intermediary between you and God, after reading the Bible. But i also agree that many "priests" are also decent shepherds. Although these do seem to be the ones most at odds with the est'd church, seems to me anyway

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
well of course everyone is different, even "priests"

but i would contemplate the motivations of anyone seeking to be deemed a human intermediary between you and God, after reading the Bible. But i also agree that many "priests" are also decent shepherds. Although these do seem to be the ones most at odds with the est'd church, seems to me anyway
Intermediary. That would be another thread, but this is becoming a Catholic forum so I'm not starting another one.

So you think the motivation could be pride?
They don't start out prideful...maybe they become prideful.
Maybe. I couldn't say.
And, yes, you're right. The real pastors are at odds with the traditionalists.
All the traditionalists seem to be able to discuss is the church and the pope.
The pastors tend to talk more about God, His nature and people's problems.
This has been my observation.

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
So you think the motivation could be pride?
They don't start out prideful...maybe they become prideful.
that's prolly a good synopsis, i'm sure at least most "priests" start out with some humility, and just have their ignorance taken advantage of, ya. Some hookers prolly do have hearts of gold, too

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WRONG.
If it were a matter of doctrine - then you might have a case. However, priestly celibacy is a matter of discipline - NOT doctrine and can theoretically be changed. Other matters of discipline include not eating meat on Fridays during Lent, fasting, etc.

Great. Let me know when the RCC corrects this error. Thanks.

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree with you. They are not being forced to be celibate. They make the choice and it is a gift from God.

No, I don't think you do. Once again, a man who wants to be a priest/leader, according to the RCC, must be celibate to do so whether he wants to or not. If a man can't handle this he cannot be a priest/leader. This is unbiblical. The Biblical choice is between being a celibate leader, (more advantageous, but not required), and being a leader who is not celibate, (some disadvantages, but completely permissible).

Who said there is a biblical requirement for celibate leaders?

No one. There isn't one -- yet Rome requires it anyway. That's been my contention all along.

*I'm know some have wondered about my stance on a particular issue, so I'll clear it up now. The RC 'priesthood' is not only an unbiblical office, it dishonors the once-for-all sacrifice of Christ.

Heb 10:12 But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God,
Heb 10:13 waiting from that time until his enemies should be made a footstool for his feet.
Heb 10:14 For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified.

The function of a priest was to offer sacrifices to God on behalf of the people he represented. Christ, our final and perfect priest offered a single sacrifice that perfects those He represents for all time. The RCC pretends to offer continuous 'unbloody' yet 'propitiatory' sacrifices via the 'priesthood.' Unbloody and propitiatory is an oxymoron and doesn't make the practice acceptable.

Heb 9:11 But when Christ appeared as a high priest of the good things that have come, then through the greater and more perfect tent (not made with hands, that is, not of this creation)
Heb 9:12 he entered once for all into the holy places, not by means of the blood of goats and calves but by means of his own blood, thus securing an eternal redemption.

Heb 9:22 Indeed, under the law almost everything is purified with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins.
Heb 9:23 Thus it was necessary for the copies of the heavenly things to be purified with these rites, but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these.
Heb 9:24 For Christ has entered, not into holy places made with hands, which are copies of the true things, but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God on our behalf.
Heb 9:25 Nor was it to offer himself repeatedly, as the high priest enters the holy places every year with blood not his own,
Heb 9:26 for then he would have had to suffer repeatedly since the foundation of the world. But as it is, he has appeared once for all at the end of the ages to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great. Let me know when the RCC corrects this error. Thanks.
TRANSLATION:
"You backed me into a corner - so I'll make an impotent comment instead f addressing the issue."

That's what I thought . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If an unbiblical requirement pushes you in a certain direction, it's not really a free choice.
It's absolutely a free choice.

I chose NOT to be a priest - but my friend CHOSE to be one.
Neither of us were "forced" into our decision, so your false charge is dead in the water . . .

Reactions: Marymog

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, I don't think you do. Once again, a man who wants to be a priest/leader, according to the RCC, must be celibate to do so whether he wants to or not. If a man can't handle this he cannot be a priest/leader. This is unbiblical. The Biblical choice is between being a celibate leader, (more advantageous, but not required), and being a leader who is not celibate, (some disadvantages, but completely permissible).
Hi nomad,

If he chooses to be celibate he can become a priest. If he chooses not to be celibate he MUST, according to scripture, get married. No one is forced to become a priest and no one is forced to marry....with one caveat. If you don't want to be celibate you have to get married.;)

It's not a matter of 'handling' it. It is a matter of making a choice and they have YEARS to think about this choice.

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If an unbiblical requirement pushes you in a certain direction, it's not really a free choice.
If you choose to become a priest you choose to be celibate which means you do have free choice.

If you choose to remain single you choose to be celibate.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out.

Mary

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Please research these things before posting.

Thanks for the info..you are correct...I don't spend time researching things.
I just trust people like you to fill me in when needed to...as you just did. :D

I don't believe I said anything about that verse being directed at Catholics.
In fact twice on this thread I have mentioned that it isn't only a Catholic issue. You probably saw my "ranting post" a couple of days ago, where I said how sick I was reading so many posts where the best people can do is to post against the Catholics. It seems they have nothing better to write about. Which makes them very small minded. Any idiot can post "against" something, not too many talk about what they actually stand for or what they live for.